Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for Tips on photgraphing fireworks

• 09-03-2010 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,436 ✭✭✭✭

The National Lottery's Skyfest is coming from Limerick this Saturday evening and with your help I hope to capture a few decent photos.

I have the camera and tripod, I have a choice of three lenses - an 18-70, a 55-200 and a 70-300. I dont have a remote release and using the timer mightn't be an option.

- Should I go for the zoom and hope to capture the fireworks or use the 18-70 and have a better chance of getting something then cropping later?
    - What settings should I use?
    - Should I try for captureing a background or just the sky
    - How do you focus on fireworks, what is my best bet?
    - Should I shoot in continuous mode?

Any other tips, I'm a real newbie to this.

From what I understand the fireworks will be set off from the green area to the right of the castle in the picture below and I'll be standing (if I can) further down river from where I took this photo.

Thanks in advance.

[IMG][/img]69C4C04A6A3D489D80F6FAB83413FD5B-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,436 ✭✭✭✭phog

Thanks for the link, some good reading there. I like one of the additional tips "stand up wind to avoid the smoke" hope I remember this on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

phog wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, some good reading there. I like one of the additional tips "stand up wind to avoid the smoke" hope I remember this on Saturday.
    I hope to try photograph some of the skyfest as well. Might see you there!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Perfect timing with the link. I ordered a D5000 and should be in receipt of it by friday. Will then be going to skyfest in Limerick on Saturday to test it out.

Just wish I had a few more days to get used to it prior to it. Wont be expecting the best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 streetshooter

I'm planning to try for some good shots also - any recommendations on the best place to stand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

I assume any of the three bridges will give a good vantage spot.

Nowhere with a bit of height around there to get a better advantage so hope for front row seats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I don't know if you have scene modes on your camera, but there may be a fireowrks option there too, be worth a try if you're having no joy.

I'm planning to try for some good shots also - any recommendations on the best place to stand?

I'm hoping to get a spot on Clancy Strand, one of the new mini parks in my 1st choice, I think Thomond Bridge might be too close to the action and the parapets Sarsfield bridge might be too high, it would be great to the to the back of Shannon rowing club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

I went along there today to scope things out and got a few shots of the riggers at work setting up.

I had a chat with the guys and there is going to be some show!!!

They will also be launching from the top of the castle.

I got nice shots at last years Riverfest from the same spot using an 18-55 zoom and varying the exposure from 15-30 sec on ISO 200

IMGP1577.JPG

IMGP7310.JPG

So the same spot should work just get there early and bring spare batteries and a heavy stable tripod as the long exposure time tends to eat them up!!
    And don't forget a warm hat and Gloves!!:D

More pics over on Munster Images section of my website

CCSL wrote: »
    I went along there today to scope things out and got a few shots of the riggers at work setting up.

I had a chat with the guys and there is going to be some show!!!

They will also be launching from the top of the castle.

I got nice shots at last years Riverfest from the same spot using an 18-55 zoom and varying the exposure from 15-30 sec on ISO 200

<photo snip x2>

So the same spot should work just get there early and bring spare batteries and a heavy stable tripod as the long exposure time tends to eat them up!!
    And don't forget a warm hat and Gloves!!:D

More pics over on Munster Images section of my website
    I don't have spare batteries! :(

• Advertisement

Looking for some more advice, I walked along Clancy Strand this eveing and noticed that there are street lights along the stand and in both mini parks, will this have an effect on my photos? How best to neutralise the lights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Just enjoy it,, defo leave the 70-300 at home if your main priority is the fireworks... I shot skyfest last year in waterford and personally took wide angle low below the fireworks hunched down looking up, didnt have the privilege of a tripod at the time. The lads on pix that shot it too last year tended to go wide angle then sometimes cropped further. Perhaps head over to pix.ie and search for the tag skyfest. It'd give you ideas

Anyone know any good Custom White Balances or Picture Styles for photographing fireworks on a Canon.

Well here's a few of mine and I'm happy enough for my first time trying fireworks - lots and lots of camers there so there should be a decent amount of photos appearing over the next few days. I met a group from Carlow who travelled up for the show.

C7DC9287F723480F867C3EF66AD43AE5-800.jpg

933C0C3EEBBC4D0EAF1FEF0012504B31-800.jpg

E923C4922C804757A3ADDD06F6D71120-800.jpg

C43D94439F964CB5A2EAAF070909C646-800.jpg

You got a very nice spot phog. I left for town at 6.30, on what should have been a 5 minute drive in. The city was already gridlocked at this stage and half the streets were closed meaning we couldn't get to where we intended to park. Ended up parking on Cecil Street and walking to O' Callaghan Strand. THe only place where it was suitable to set up a tripod when I got there was by The Strand Barracks so you can hardly see the castle in mine. The fireworks look great in mine though and I had a HD video function in my 500D so I even captured some videos. They look fantastic as well. I'll try upload later.

EDIT: BTW, battery was not a problem at all. I shot long exposures and videos constantly for the full display and still left with 3 bars.

I don't know if anyone else was there and saw it on the television (sky +) but the coverage of it did not do it justice at all. It didn't look half as magical as it was.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    You got a very nice spot phog. I left for town at 6.30, on what should have been a 5 minute drive in. The city was already gridlocked at this stage and half the streets were closed meaning we couldn't get to where we intended to park. Ended up parking on Cecil Street and walking to O' Callaghan Strand. THe only place where it was suitable to set up a tripod when I got there was by The Strand Barracks so you can hardly see the castle in mine. The fireworks look great in mine though and I had a HD video function in my 500D so I even captured some videos. They look fantastic as well. I'll try upload later.

EDIT: BTW, battery was not a problem at all. I shot long exposures and videos constantly for the full display and still left with 3 bars.

I left home around 5.15 and was in O'Callaghan Strand for around 5.30, a good fewa round, I set up on the little park in front of Strand Barracks as there was no street lights and I could see the castle but was still back far enough to get the sky as well, there was a guy set up there at that stage. I was only there a few mins when a group from Carlow arrived and then it looked like the whole front row was full of camers.

It's great to see all the various shots of the same fireworks, I love them all :)

I left home around 5.15 and was in O'Callaghan Strand for around 5.30, a good fewa round, I set up on the little park in front of Strand Barracks as there was no street lights and I could see the castle but was still back far enough to get the sky as well, there was a guy set up there at that stage. I was only there a few mins when a group from Carlow arrived and then it looked like the whole front row was full of camers.

It's great to see all the various shots of the same fireworks, I love them all :)
    I was on the road a hundred metres back from that park. Another photographer was set up beside me as well and she looked like she knew what she was doing and had obviously photographed fireworks before. I'd have loved to see her pictures. She had been blocking the lens with a book between fireworks. After the display I asked her what effect that had had and she said it removed most of the smoke from her pictures.

I was on the road a hundred metres back from that park. Another photographer was set up beside me as well and she looked like she knew what she was doing and had obviously photographed fireworks before. I'd have loved to see her pictures. She had been blocking the lens with a book between fireworks. After the display I asked her what effect that had had and she said it removed most of the smoke from her pictures.

I think that was becasue she was using "bulb", scroll back through this thread as I think someone mentioned holding a black card in front of the lens.

• Advertisement

I think that was becasue she was using "bulb", scroll back through this thread as I think someone mentioned holding a black card in front of the lens.
    Ya, she was using bulb. She said it prevents the camera from capturing the empty smokefilled sky between fireworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Nice Shots Phog.
    I was down next to the Customs House. The main problem there was keeping people from jostling the tripod! Luckly im not exactly a " Small " Guy...:rolleyes: Also I allways try and set up next to a light pole or some other immovable object to reduce any crowd push. Closeups were shot with a 50-300 Sigma Zoom Lens and the long shots with a Pentax 18-50 Zoom. Exposures from 3-15 Sec.

IMGP1746.JPG

IMGP1757.JPG

IMGP4840.JPG

More over on my Picasa page...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I don't know if anyone else was there and saw it on the television (sky +) but the coverage of it did not do it justice at all. It didn't look half as magical as it was.

The TV footage was shocking, I was cringing the whole time. You could tell they were trying to be cheap and make a crappy tourism video while they were at it.
    The way they spliced the footage of green fields, old ruins, cliffs etc over the badly framed fireworks live feed was frustrating. For a display this hyped up they made a balls of showing it well on TV.

Advertisement