Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moveing to cork for 10 weeks

Options
  • 09-03-2010 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

hey, im an apprentice from Dublin and have to go to Cork for 10weeks next month to do my off the job phase but there is no places in Dublin for me so im going to cork.

il be driveing down on monday morning and be going home on friday for the weekends for the 10weeks.

il be in 2places.. Northpoint campus on mon/tues and Cork institute of technology weds/thurs/friday.

1st question, is Northpoint in the CIT? or is it 2 different places and if so how far or near are they together?

and 2nd question, could any1 advise me on BnB's close to them ( walking distance hopefully with shops and bar etc near by also:p) and prices on the most i should pay etc..

Thank you very much for any help you can give me, il be going down to Cork next week for a look around myself but any tips before hand would be great and very helpful. Thanks again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I don't know where Northpoint campus is but there are no shops or bars near CIT. It's on one of the main bus routes to the city centre but it's not really walking distance of anywhere. Area for CIT is Bishopstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

sunnyside wrote: »
    I don't know where Northpoint campus is but there are no shops or bars near CIT. It's on one of the main bus routes to the city centre but it's not really walking distance of anywhere. Area for CIT is Bishopstown.

Northpoint is out on the Commons road. It's an industrial estate kinda place - not much around there bar the drive through McDonalds a few minutes away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

Yeah the Northpoint campus is on the mallow road! It's not within walking distance to CIT, its on the other side of the city really!!
    Your best bet imo would be to get somewhere in blackpool, you would be within walking distance to the northpoint campus and also within walking distance to the city centre which you can take the number 5 bus to and from cit! There is also the number 1 bus (or was I don't know if this is still running) but it used to be very unreliable!!
    If you stay in blackpool there is a lot of food places (fast food though), I wouldn't fancy any of the bars in the area but your still within walking distance to the city centre where you will find everything you need!!
    Sorry, don't know of any b&bs though....

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

I'd advise you to stay in the city centre.The #5 bus serves both the CIT and the Northpoint Business Park which is a stroke of luck for you really.

hey, im an apprentice from Dublin and have to go to Cork for 10weeks next month to do my off the job phase but there is no places in Dublin for me so im going to cork.

il be driveing down on monday morning and be going home on friday for the weekends for the 10weeks.

il be in 2places.. Northpoint campus on mon/tues and Cork institute of technology weds/thurs/friday.

1st question, is Northpoint in the CIT? or is it 2 different places and if so how far or near are they together?

and 2nd question, could any1 advise me on BnB's close to them ( walking distance hopefully with shops and bar etc near by also:p) and prices on the most i should pay etc..

Thank you very much for any help you can give me, il be going down to Cork next week for a look around myself but any tips before hand would be great and very helpful. Thanks again

Your best bet is to put in a call to CIT's accommodation office and ask their advice re. locations and prices but you really can't go wrong with somewhere in the city - Cork's a tiny city compared to Dublin.

Anywhere on the Western Road means your only about 10 minutes drive from CIT - you'll spend more time looking for parking than travelling. Northpoint is, similarly, only 10 or so minutes from City centre out the Dublin road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

cheers, yeah i think staying in the city is my best bet and getting the number 5 bus to Cit and Northpoint.

is the kent bus station beside the Jurys inn hotel/dunnes stores or near it, i stayed there last year, they are the only 2 landmarks i really know in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Sirtoyou wrote: »
    I'd advise you to stay in the city centre.The #5 bus serves both the CIT and the Northpoint Business Park which is a stroke of luck for you really.

Wrong. The number 5 runs from the railway station to CIT and back - it goes nowhere near Northpoint. I think you're thinking of the number 3...

is the kent bus station beside the Jurys inn hotel/dunnes stores or near it, i stayed there last year, they are the only 2 landmarks i really know in the city.

Yes, the Jury's Inn is just down from the Bus Station Dunnes. There are loads of B&Bs in the Wellington Road area of the city which would be only a few minutes walk to the bus station.

What I'd do if I were you and had the extra few quid it would cost over a B&B is take an apartment in Issacs or Westview Aparthotels - they're both city centre and will gave a good rate for a long stay like yours - particularly when you're not staying weekends.

Okay it costs a little more than a B&B and you don't get your breakfast cooked in the morning, but you have the advantage of having an apartment of your own - living room, satellite tv, internet connection, fridge full of whatever you want to put in it, your own space do what you want day or night and the cleaners come in every morning to clean and change everything just like a hotel.

Staying in a B&B for 10 weeks when you only have your room to live in is tough.

I have no connection to either but had to stay in Isaacs aprtments for a week last year and didn't want to go home in the end - great pub across the road, pizzeria and a local shop almost next door and maid service. Much better than my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

colblimp wrote: »
    Wrong. The number 5 runs from the railway station to CIT and back - it goes nowhere near Northpoint. I think you're thinking of the number 3...

My apologies if it has changed the #5 always ran to the old mallow road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Sirtoyou wrote: »
    My apologies if it has changed the #5 always ran to the old mallow road.

no change, for as long as I can remember the number 5 runs between bus station and CIT and everywhere in between, it doesnt go anywhere near northside or blackpool..

• Advertisement

cheers, when i go down next week to have a look around il ask someone in the kent station how to get to cit and northpoint.

il also check them appertments out and see if i can get a good deal:)

evilivor wrote: »
    Yes, the Jury's Inn is just down from the Bus Station Dunnes. There are loads of B&Bs in the Wellington Road area of the city which would be only a few minutes walk to the bus station.

What I'd do if I were you and had the extra few quid it would cost over a B&B is take an apartment in Issacs or Westview Aparthotels - they're both city centre and will gave a good rate for a long stay like yours - particularly when you're not staying weekends.

Okay it costs a little more than a B&B and you don't get your breakfast cooked in the morning, but you have the advantage of having an apartment of your own - living room, satellite tv, internet connection, fridge full of whatever you want to put in it, your own space do what you want day or night and the cleaners come in every morning to clean and change everything just like a hotel.

Staying in a B&B for 10 weeks when you only have your room to live in is tough.

I have no connection to either but had to stay in Isaacs aprtments for a week last year and didn't want to go home in the end - great pub across the road, pizzeria and a local shop almost next door and maid service. Much better than my house.

cheers, yeah your right they should be able to give me a good deal and it wud be much better then just a room, much much much better:) il drop in to them and ask them about it

colblimp wrote: »

so one of the two(3 or 5) goes to both cit and northpoint, from kent station?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

www.buseireann.ie

From what I can see on the website :

The No.5 City Centre(St. Patrick's Street) to CIT

The No.5A City Centre(Merchants Quay, Dunnes Stores) to Blackpool, Mallow Road.

The No.1 may also be of interest, Northern Orbital route
    Mayfield/Blackpool/Knocknaheeny/Bishopstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

so one of the two(3 or 5) goes to both cit and northpoint, from kent station?
    If you want to get the 5 to CIT don't get it from the railway station - get it from Patrick St outside of the o2 shop. As you have a car you might think about driving to Northpoint adn getting the bus to CIT. I'm not sure how frequent the 5a ia but the 5 is every 15 minutes through most of the day. Don't bother with a buss pass as the weekly one won't save you anything unless you are making 12 journeys

You would be better off staying in the city centre as Bishopstwon and Wilton are pretty dead...

yeah im gona do my best to stay in the city

Advertisement