Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Held to ransom by management company, help

Options
  • 09-03-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

myself and my partner bought a house in a estate a couple of years ago.part of the management fees was a "ONCE OFF PAYMENT" of 250 euro for the tv service.we thought it was steep but paid it because it was a once off,they are now looking for 250 euro yearly sayin if was a typing error and has to be paid once a year.i didnt agree to this and am refusing to pay as are most of the other residents.250 euro for wat,iv had sky tv for the last 7r8 years and never had to pay until i moved here,now im expected to pay 250 euro every year for the use of a communial satellite dish.can my management company prevent me installing my own dish,can they trespass on my property to take it down if i install my own.i feel im bein squeezed for as a much as they can get from me:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

,can they trespass on my property to take it down if i install my own.

I think you know the answer? - Trespass, private property.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ive never heard of this. Why use a communal system in a housing estate. Fair enough if it was an apartment block but in a housing estate?
    You signed up to a one off payment of €250. Tell them to honor this contract. When they then refuse to honor the contract, inform them that you will therefore be making your own tv arrangements. That is what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Have a read of your contract(for the purchase of the house) and any conditions relating to the management company. There may be a clause in it relating to satellite dishes.

Furthermore, as an owner of a property within the estate you would be or should be a shareholder in the management company and therefore could take it up at the company's AGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This would be more of a consumer issue so I'll move it to a more appropriate forum. I'll chance the Accommodation & Property forum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Read your contract. If that says fees are payable on a once off basis only then you're fine. If not, then you are tied to what you signed up for.

I find it unusual that your fee only relates to TV - what about insurance, landscaping, common area lighting, maintenance?

Regarding your own dish. Do you have a private back garden as in walls on all sides? Also do you have a contract of sale or a lease of say 1000 years? Both of these will impact on whether they can access your dish.

Also the management company are not the enemy here. As an owner you're part of that management company. That brings rights, but also responsibilities. First stop, read your contract.

In our development, all deeds say no dishes. Dishes will be removed from walls, balconies, patios etc as these are all on management company property. The exception to this are the townhouses with enclosed gardens. We're stuck with those dishes :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement