Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2010: Round 1 Bahrain

• 09-03-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

It's upon us!!!

After months of waiting the new season is here! Not sure how we're going to treat the new season but I was thinking that on the Monday or Tuesday before the race we open a new thread for each round, any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

frostie500 wrote: »
    any thoughts?

I cannot wait. That is all.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Also if anybody finds a streaming link for the Porsche Cup support race let me know. A good mate of mine is out for his first race of the season.

Its on at 9am Sunday morning on Eurosport2 UK. Hopefully Niall has a good race. Nice to watch before the F1 starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Not seeing any Classic Grands Prix on the BBC red button. Then again, be hard finding them from Bahrain. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

frostie500 wrote: »
    It's upon us!!!

After months of waiting the new season is here! Not sure how we're going to treat the new season but I was thinking that on the Monday or Tuesday before the race we open a new thread for each round, any thoughts?

Opening a new thread for each round sounds like a good idea.
    It's hard to believe that it was October when Button won the championship, The time just flew for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

Can't wait. I hope now that Bahrain lives up to the expectations now. With so many changes ahead of this season I think that many people are expecting so much from the first race and hopefully it delivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Just looked at the Setanta tv listings, I dont see the practice sessions this year.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

shane1981 wrote: »
    Just looked at the Setanta tv listings, I dont see the practice sessions this year.:(

It's on the red button with the bbc if you have satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ESPN Classic are showing some 'retro' F1 between now and sunday.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    ESPN Classic are showing some 'retro' F1 between now and sunday.:)

Thanks for the headsup, they did the same last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Can't wait:

2 Main talking points:

1. How the new refueling will affect the races.
    2. Inter team battles. Hamilton v Button. Massa v Alonso. Schmi v rosberg. Vettel v Webber

I read planetf1 for my F1 fix - where do you guys go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

steve_r wrote: »
    Can't wait:

Everywhere! Planet F1, BBC sport, Autosport, I can't get by a day with out checking up on the F1. One of these days the boss is gonna catch me and all I can hope is that they're as big an F1 fan as i am :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

steve_r wrote: »
    2 Main talking points:

1. How the new refueling will affect the races.
    2. Inter team battles. Hamilton v Button. Massa v Alonso. Schmi v rosberg. Vettel v Webber

I still generally would make Autosport my first port of call for any news on motorsports in general but I'd look at planetf1 and the like as well.

I made a post on my blog about the affect of the refueling ban that goes into some detail(not a lot though!) about how the reg change could affect the racing this year. The main element that will change is that cars will get faster as the race progresses and the limiting factor in pace is now the wear on the tyres as opposed to the weight of fuel being carried. This should see pit stop occuring earlier if a driver wants to gain trackposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

I cant not wait til the wkend!!!! Havnt looked foward to a season like this is years!!!! Ive even booked my holidays so they dont clash with f1 wkends:D. Im beyond excited at the thought of seeing schuey race again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

enzo7 wrote: »
    I cant not wait til the wkend!!!! Havnt looked foward to a season like this is years!!!! Ive even booked my holidays so they dont clash with f1 wkends:D. Im beyond excited at the thought of seeing schuey race again!!!

Exact same as me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

I'm so geared up for the season opener. The only downside is that it's in Bahrain. I don't know about the rest of you guys but to me there was something special about having the season opener in Austrailia. Maybe it was just the fact that it was on at an odd time or just that the track is asthetically more pleasing but it seemed more of an event. I have no doubt thought that Bahrain 2010 will be memerable.

Good Luck Massa and Alonso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

cant wait to see schumacher again. The best driver of f1... used to stay up till 4 in the morning watching it with my dad 10-17 years ago even went to silverstone in 94 or 95 ( it was the one where damon hill knocked schumacher out). the good old days of f1 racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Pity about Australia, but there is so much to look forward to this year, so many variables on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

cant wait to see schumacher again. The best driver of f1... used to stay up till 4 in the morning watching it with my dad 10-17 years ago even went to silverstone in 94 or 95 ( it was the one where damon hill knocked schumacher out). the good old days of f1 racing.

Can you imagine how much the stewarts and FIA would interfere if Silverstone 95 was repeated in modern F1. It'd be horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

tifosi 1 wrote: »
    I'm so geared up for the season opener. The only downside is that it's in Bahrain. I don't know about the rest of you guys but to me there was something special about having the season opener in Austrailia. Maybe it was just the fact that it was on at an odd time or just that the track is asthetically more pleasing but it seemed more of an event. I have no doubt thought that Bahrain 2010 will be memerable.

Good Luck Massa and Alonso.

Looking forward to it. Agree with you about Oz.

Anyone got any times for practise on bbc.

1. Friday, 20:30 on 5 live

5 live Formula 1 2010, Bahrain GP Preview

Looking forward to it. Agree with you about Oz.

6.55 for first practice and i think its half nine for the second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Better than that, the full schedules for the whole 2010 season ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/7755219.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

I'm a schumi fan...but seriously lol....Damon knocked Schumi out? Tee hee hee

Can't wait for the race this weekend, hoping it will be a great season, new teams, Schumi back, team and driver changes :D

Anyone know if anything's happening in the cineworld cinemas in dublin as regards to showing the race? There was talk about it and all of a sudden it went quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm supposed to be in the US during the Australian and Malaysian races. I didn't really realise that when I was booking my trip. I'm supposed to fly with BA too so I'm nearly half tempted to cancel it so I can see the F1 :D

Wouldn't be the worst thing. This dilly dallying over strikes is doing my head in plus I could do with saving the money and using it for Spa (which I've already booked) and Monza (which I desperately want to book) :)

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    I'm a schumi fan...but seriously lol....Damon knocked Schumi out? Tee hee hee

Ya at the infield section , the twat!!!!

I'm supposed to be in the US during the Australian and Malaysian races. I didn't really realise that when I was booking my trip. I'm supposed to fly with BA too so I'm nearly half tempted to cancel it so I can see the F1 :D

Wouldn't be the worst thing. This dilly dallying over strikes is doing my head in plus I could do with saving the money and using it for Spa (which I've already booked) and Monza (which I desperately want to book) :)

screw the US go to monza:D

enzo7 wrote: »
    screw the US go to monza:D

I'm very tempted. The money I could get back on my flight taxes combined with what I'd save on hotel fee's would pay for my 3 day grandstand ticket :)

Ficus wrote: »
    As expected, the Mclaren car passed inspection today and is free to race in Bahrain in its current configuration.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81990

There was more to this than people first thought. It would appear to be very creative ingenious design. It was first rumored here but Martin Whitmarsh all but confirms it here . Lets see who will be first to copy this.

Brilliant and ingenious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I can see the teams copying it,rumor has it that some are already working on it.

Ill go with Alonso for the race this weekend.

• Advertisement

23 minutes they stay in the garage. Thought they complained about not having enough testing time? Gonna miss the end of this session and all of the next one.

Like the new timing graphics from what I've seen.

I came into work early so I could watch it online via the BBC site. Whatever way our proxy or whatever is setup, I can usually view the BBC online content. However for some reason that's no longer the case so I'm here early just viewing text updates :(

Kind of wish I'd booked the day off as I could have watched it from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

but Martin Whitmarsh all but confirms it here .
    Hmmm "Homologate" :)

Ingenious idea though. Up to an extra 6 miles an hour in a straight is not to be sniffed at. I like the way the driver controls it with his knees.

Its quite clear that Schumacher is not happy with the handling of his car. I would guess it will be a few races before he is in a position to beat his team mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I always remember thinking that before and then in qualifying he came out a second faster!
    Fingers crossed:D

God bless BBC iPlayer. I'm watching the full practise sessions now :)

• Advertisement

schuey will be fine id be stunned if he didnt beat rosberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

My weekends are full again :)

Can. Not. Wait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 frecklz

I'm looking forward to Seoul! :)

The Ferrari's looked quite quick during session two, when you take away the lower fuel running done by the McLarens and the Mercs the times were pretty close between the three teams. Red Bull didnt impress me, not so much Webber's driveshaft failure, that car didnt look hooked up at all. It seemed like Vettel had a correction to make everytime they were on board with him. It might have been fuel loads and the required rideheights but it seemed very nervous.

I heard Ted Kravitz or someone say during the first practise session that the Red Bull's tyres looked pretty chewed up. Defo not good.

But flipping hell, that HRT car looked a handful. Bruno Senna was having to correct non-stop. To be expected I suppose but its a bit nuts to think the car never ran until today.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure why I like this so much. But this always gets me kind of fired up during the F1 coverage. I think it started happening after I went to the race at Monza. I was sitting at the grandstand at the first corner for about 45 minutes before the race started. Then on the big screen, this came on and I was like "ah f*** yes, here we go, it's getting ready to start..."

There is something about the sound of the engines of F1 cars.......like this one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1xXV1R4yVY

not crazy about the whole song/music effort but love the sound of the cars:D

FTW. Remember waking up at like 4am when I was 7 or 8 for the Japanese and Aussie GPs, watching the build-up for 45 minutes then hearing that and ya knew it was 5 minutes to go. Ah them were the days. :pac:

Oh yea! I remember that....then they swung to the grid for the couple of mins before lights!
    Sitting up in the dead of the night, eyes burning held up with cocktail sticks:D

I have not watched in so long it will be hard for me to sort out all these new rules.....and no pitstop??? will it just be a procession?

ppink wrote: »
    Oh yea! I remember that....then they swung to the grid for the couple of mins before lights!
    Sitting up in the dead of the night, eyes burning held up with cocktail sticks:D

I have not watched in so long it will be hard for me to sort out all these new rules.....and no pitstop??? will it just be a procession?

There are pitstops, just no refueling. This'll mean that people will be looking to put earlier rather than later. I'm hoping the tyres are very soft so that there's more of an emphasis on looking after tyres.
    TBH I don't like the lack of refueling, I think it'll detract from the racing. Add more downforce than last year and we'll be back to where we were 6/7 years ago I'd predict.

Everyone is predicting that this will be the most exciting season for a long time. Personally, I'm just excited that F1 is back. I'd have been the same had nothing changed since last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Do the changes to the Bahrain circuit look like they have made an improvement?

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Do the changes to the Bahrain circuit look like they have made an improvement?

Not really IMO, extremely twisty and fiddly. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong. I think it's just fast enough to spread the field, apparently they hoped it would bunch the field before the long straight, I doubt it though.

amacachi wrote: »

FTW. Remember waking up at like 4am when I was 7 or 8 for the Japanese and Aussie GPs, watching the build-up for 45 minutes then hearing that and ya knew it was 5 minutes to go. Ah them were the days. :pac:

In our house it was the signal to hit the kettle for the last cup of tea to settle the nerves. They were the days alright:D

Everyone is predicting that this will be the most exciting season for a long time. Personally, I'm just excited that F1 is back. I'd have been the same had nothing changed since last year.
    Im just excited that schuey is back, dont really care if anything else happens:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement