Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2010: Round 1 Bahrain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

No, I got the tv race, just the pit wall live timing i am after, more important IMO than the tv pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Goddamn Bridgestone making the tyres too good. There seems to be shag all penalty for taking the soft tyres at the start. Also, are the soft tyres for this weekend the supersoft? If it's possibly to go over a third race distance on the softest tyres at the hottest Grand Prix of the year then what's the bloody point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I wonder is that it for the pitstops with most just 1 stopping?. Hopefully one or two mechanical problems at the front might make the end a bit more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Very disappointed with the Saubers. I'd love to see Kobayashi in a decent car. Still its not the same without re-fuelling...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

BBC stream on Veetle here. Bit jumpy, but that's probably my connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Bring back re-fueling!! This is terrible watching F1 cars going 5 seconds slower than they could be and watching the top drivers in the world nursing tyres. A disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

iam missing the refueling ther was all ways **** ups with the fuel rig or runnning over people

On the bright side, the Lotus looks class, and the renault just reminds me of Jordan, bring back those glory days!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

naughto wrote: »
    iam missing the refueling ther was all ways **** ups with the fuel rig or runnning over people

There is more potenital for 'fcuk ups' without refuelling, the time penalty of outbraking yourself or having a wheel gun error etc is proportionally far greater now than previously.
    amacachi wrote: »
    Goddamn Bridgestone making the tyres too good. There seems to be shag all penalty for taking the soft tyres at the start. Also, are the soft tyres for this weekend the supersoft? If it's possibly to go over a third race distance on the softest tyres at the hottest Grand Prix of the year then what's the bloody point?

Yeah they are using the supersofts but its worth remembering that while this maybe one of the hotter races Bahrain has never been one of the more marginal races for tyre wear, wait until the end of the race also and see how the tyres last after the fuel is burnt off and the cars can really push hard

fh041205 wrote: »
    On the bright side, the Lotus looks class, and the renault just reminds me of Jordan, bring back those glory days!!!

th renault does remind me of the jordan as well.what happened at there pit stop i just gotthe end of it he was sitting there for ages

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    Yeah they are using the supersofts but its worth remembering that while this maybe one of the hotter races Bahrain has never been one of the more marginal races for tyre wear, wait until the end of the race also and see how the tyres last after the fuel is burnt off and the cars can really push hard

At the end of the race there'll be no-one needing to push hard. Anyway, they can keep the same "pace" while the fuel burns away, and get faster without pushing the tyres any harder. Pushing with a heavy fuel load would cause way more problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

I wouldnt rule out massa his more than up to it, or a guy of hamiltons talent. And never rule out schuey. I think it will be between the ferraris and hamilton and i hope schuey is there or there abouts. I think its impossible to narrow it down to just 2 drivers 30 laps into a 19 race season.

naughto wrote: »
    th renault does remind me of the jordan as well.what happened at there pit stop i just gotthe end of it he was sitting there for ages

Problem with the right-rear tyre from what I saw. Don't worry about Schumacher, he hasn't even started cheating yet. Thats when things will get interesting....

this could be epic finish, vettle and Alonso wheel to wheel for eighteen laps:D

enzo7 wrote: »
    I wouldnt rule out massa his more than up to it, or a guy of hamiltons talent. And never rule out schuey. I think it will be between the ferraris and hamilton and i hope schuey is there or there abouts. I think its impossible to narrow it down to just 2 drivers 30 laps into a 19 race season.

The Mercs just haven't got the pace, they're about a second a lap off the pace and I can't see them overturning that and more by the end of the season.
    The McLarens seem to be able to match the Ferraris and RBs on the harder tyres alright, just perhaps they can make a difference but I get the impression Hamilton is pushing harder than they are just to match them.

Schumacher is less than 3 seconds down on teammate in a car that's similar to what Rosberg spent a whole year in. Give him a bit of time.

Was just about to edit to say the Ferraris are having issues with overheating, then Vettel's engine cuts out. Good to see some things don't change.

vetel in trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Vettel having mechanical problems? "Loss of power"

Brundle talking rubbish, by them time Hamilton clears Vettel there'll be 12 laps at most left, I'm fairly sure Ferrari can stay within a second a lap of him safely enough reliability-wise, and if they can't then the engine failure would be nothing to do with stress, just poor build quality.

hel be doing well to get any points

• Advertisement

Thats true about the Mercs. They've looked very sluggush. And in fairness, Schumi is consistantly slower than Rosberg who I wouldn't rate at all. Alonso just lost a lot of time in that lap.

I reckon Hamilton will do it, the Ferraris are suffering and hot, watch Hamilton pinch it with a sensational season opener finish!

Just my 0.02c
    :o

Thats true about the Mercs. They've looked very sluggush. And in fairness, Schumi is consistantly slower than Rosberg who I wouldn't rate at all. Alonso just lost a lot of time in that lap.
    You don't rate Rosberg? That made me lol, thanks.
    I reckon Hamilton will do it, the Ferraris are suffering and hot, watch Hamilton pinch it with a sensational season opener finish!

Just my 0.02c
    :o
    You think that Hamilton will have looked after his tyres well enough to now gain over a second a lap on the Ferraris? lol

Ferraris seem to be racing each other, very silly stuff.

You don't rate Rosberg? That made me lol, thanks.

No. Why should I? There are much better drivers on the grid. In fact most of the grid is better IMO. He's certainly no world champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Ferraris seem to be racing each other, very silly stuff.

Yeah I dont understand it at all, the race is completly in hand and yet they are trading fast times. Hamilton has no chance of catching them the pit wall should be telling them to slow right down and hold position

And mind the tyres first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

frostie500 wrote: »
    Yeah I dont understand it at all, the race is completly in hand and yet they are trading fast times. Hamilton has no chance of catching them the pit wall should be telling them to slow right down and hold position
    Massa has dropped back a lot now, I reckon Alonso is just putting in a few fast laps to show what he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 benzie

Shame for Vettel. I wanted him to win, points 4 my team :cool:

• Advertisement

No. Why should I? There are much better drivers on the grid. In fact most of the grid is better IMO.

He pretty much kept up with Webber in his first season in F1, he constantly trounced his Nakajima, he best Hamilton when they were both in F3 and he's generally seen as one of the best drivers in the field. But you must know something no-one else does.

50/50 whether Schumacher will catch and pass Vettel by the end, I'm hoping he does. :)
    EDIT:Miscounted how many laps were left, definitely should do it.

I think Vettel will finish just in front of Webber actually, bit of a kick in the teeth for him.

EDIT: Vettel just found a second on the last lap out of nowhere. Hopefully when Rosberg gets past he'll back Vettel up a bit.

He pretty much kept up with Webber in his first season in F1, he constantly trounced his Nakajima, he best Hamilton when they were both in F3 and he's generally seen as one of the best drivers in the field. But you must know something no-one else does.

The difference is that Webber has consistently done well in poor teams most notably scoring points for Minardi. Rosberg hasn't. Plus getting the better of Nakajima is no great feat. Hulkenburg is one of the most impressive drivers on the field if you look at his trcak record before F1. I just think Rosberg has had his chance to impress and he hasn't done it. He's all potential and no actual results.

Was there an investigation by the stewarts into Webber's start? Give Alain Prost something to do.

The difference is that Webber has consistently done well in poor teams most notably scoring points for Minardi. Rosberg hasn't. Plus getting the better of Nakajima is no great feat. Hulkenburg is one of the most impressive drivers on the field if you look at his trcak record before F1. I just think Rosberg has had his chance to impress and he hasn't done it. He's all potential and no actual results.

Was there an investigation by the stewarts into Webber's start? Give Alain Prost something to do.

What opportunities has Rosberg had? He's been with Williams and most likely been outperforming the car for the last couple of years. It was Rosberg's first season when he was pretty much keeping up with Webber. Rosberg and Hamilton were always rivals coming up through the ranks, don't you rate Hamilton?

So, can we put this notion of Massa being able to keep up with Alonso to bed now? :pac:

• Advertisement

Firstly, Webber scored more points than him first season in a poor car it has to be said. Secondly, there are plenty of F3 drivers who don't cut it at this level, Algesuari for one. Last year was seriously screwy in terms of points, but go back to 2008, he was in the bottom half of the drivers championship. So half the field was better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

well that was boring.

Those new rules are stupid.

I miss the old days when there was the constant speculation about what pit stop strategy/tyre choice each driver was on.

Good to see a Lotus crossing the start/finish line after Massa!

Firstly, Webber scored more points than him first season in a poor car it has to be said. Secondly, there are plenty of F3 drivers who don't cut it at this level. Last year was seriously screwy in terms of points, but go back to 2008, he was in the bottom half of the drivers championship. So half the field was better than him.

Yes, Webber outscored him, it was Rosberg's first season in F1. Anyway, if you want to base things on that season, Webber was in the bottom half of the points, therefore half the field is better than him. :pac: It's pretty much accepted that Rosberg has been dragging Williams into the points for the last two years, it's silly to say that because he's been in a poor car that he's not an excellent driver.

Yes, Webber outscored him, it was Rosberg's first season in F1. Anyway, if you want to base things on that season, Webber was in the bottom half of the points, therefore half the field is better than him. :pac: It's pretty much accepted that Rosberg has been dragging Williams into the points for the last two years, it's silly to say that because he's been in a poor car that he's not an excellent driver.

100% agree with all that. Corrrect me if I'm wrong but last year was the first season he was in top half of the drivers championship, whereas Williams really should have been in the top 6 cars every year.

In any case what did you make of that race? Commentators seemed to run out of things to say an awful lot. certainly doesn't go any way to dispersing the "boring" argument.

• Advertisement

Quick glimpse of Jean Alesi there. Is he involved with Ferrari at all? Seemed to be in amongst that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Not a big fan of the Bahrain track, hopefully the next race will be a bit more interesting for the race and tyres

100% agree with all that. Corrrect me if I'm wrong but last year was the first season he was in top half of the drivers championship, whereas Williams really should have been in the top 6 cars every year.

In any case what did you make of that race? Commentators seemed to run out of things to say an awful lot. certainly doesn't go any way to dispersing the "boring" argument.

It was, yes, but what are you basing your argument that they should've been in the top 6 cars?

Awful race. As I've been harping on about for ages now the only way to make no re-fuelling races exciting is to have tyres which degrade massively. Either that or look at the fuel consumption and give each car 10% less than that to do them the race.
    In the old days it could be fun sometimes because of the terrible reliability, that's not as much of an issue now with most of the engines spending most of the race well below their maximum power potential.
    Overall, brutal race tbh.

LOL at Don't Stop Believing at the end of the BBC's coverage, I don't think the lyrics they were hoping would resonate were "It goes on, and on, and on, and on..." :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Great tits btw.

Agree.
    races wont be interesting without devestating tyre degredation or bad reliability. not likely looking at the ferraris today. didnt see one bald spot on the hard tyres. Maybe if only the soft tyre was permitted it could be more interesting..
    Cant believe they brought this rule in after all their efforts to introduce better conditions for overtaking. the one moment when alonso tried to attack vettel, he had to lay off immediately to preserve his tyres. Vettel didnt even have to react! team just told him, maintain your pace, alonsos tyres cant last in the hot air. FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

ONE of the new teams cars finishes, in last, two laps off the leader. Oh dear.....

It was, yes, but what are you basing your argument that they should've been in the top 6 cars?

Just opinion. Same as the Rosberg argument. Eddie Jordan gave Schumi his debut, yes he did. Glad they mentioned that. God the qualifying was more exciting than that race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Great tits btw.

So, can we put this notion of Massa being able to keep up with Alonso to bed now? :pac:

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

The race wasnt great tbh. Delighted for massa though great result for him on his first race back. Its great to see ferrari back on top. Think schuey had a good solid race a little disappointed he didnt beat rosberg his bit more rusty than id hoped he would be. Ah well looking foward to round 2:)

Just opinion. Same as the Rosberg argument. Eddie Jordan gave Schumi his debut, yes he did. Glad they mentioned that. God the qualifying was more exciting than that race.

Even the qualifying isn't as exciting as last year. Someone posted yesterday that they felt there was something "off" about qualifying, I think it's the fact that in Q1 the drivers aren't pushing as hard as the possibly can, and that's really takes the essence of the concept of qualifying out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement