Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Éamonn Ceannt (Sundrive) Park

Options
  • 09-03-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

We are moving back to Ireland next month for the rest of 2010, or possibly longer, and I'm wondering if anyone here uses this park to walk their dogs. My husband will be working on the SCR on the section between Portobello and Dolphin's Barn so we were thinking about living in the Sundrive area so we can use this park and he can walk to work.

I took a walk in the park a few weeks ago while we were in Dublin with a view to using it, but I'd love to hear from anyone with experience of the park for dog walking. The sign said dogs can be walked off-lead for the first two hours in the morning and the last in the evening. The sign didn't have the opening times though.:rolleyes::) I was there after 11am and there were quite a few people walking their dogs off lead and it looked pretty civilised. Does that mean the park opens at 9.30am or later?

I saw another springer spaniel owner who's dog was very similar to my boys in the "zoom, zoom, - zoom over here, zoom over there" way of running about. The park seemed big and quiet enough for the dog to exercise comfortably but not bother others, so I was really happy to see that. And it's a pretty clear park so I can let Toby (my tripawd) exercise off-lead without putting undue stress on his remaining front leg. So on a physical basis the park seems really good. Also any area that the dogs aren't allowed in seems well marked and secured.

How do things work with regard to poo in Ireland? Can poo be collected in plastic bags or must it be in paper? Can you put poo into any bin in the park or are you only allowed use specific bins? Are you allowed put poo in your own wheelie bin?

Also if anyone has any experience of other parks that dogs can be walked in off-lead in the general area I'd love to hear about them. This is one of my biggest worries coming back to Ireland as there is a very different culture as far as dogs are concerned in England. I can walk my boys in almost any park at any time and take them on public transport to different areas so I want to make sure I choose the right park in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I walk there occasionally, and it's a nice park.

I pick up poo with plastic bags and put it in the bins at the entrance. I think they sometimes have free paper bags in dispensers there sometimes.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

iguana wrote: »
    Also if anyone has any experience of other parks that dogs can be walked in off-lead in the general area I'd love to hear about them. This is one of my biggest worries coming back to Ireland as there is a very different culture as far as dogs are concerned in England. I can walk my boys in almost any park at any time and take them on public transport to different areas so I want to make sure I choose the right park in Dublin.

In Marlay Park there is a small area where you can let your dogs off the lead, but it's small beer. However, Dodder Valley Park on the Firhouse Road is a real gem. Basically it's opposite Ballyboden St Enda's GAA club on the Firhouse Road, the car park is on link road to the Spawell. It's always open and it is very relaxed when it comes to dogs off leads, almost everyone has the dogs off. (No signs up to my knowledge.) There's even a few rabbits running wild and plenty of wildlife on view as you walk alongside the river. Kingfishers and Herons amongst the usual suspects. You get the surreal experience of walking under the M50 too! Best time to visit is early in the morning after first light, less people about. I appreciate this is a bit away from Sundrive Road, but it would be 10 mins drive away in a car, I use it as a weekly treat for my dog, Great swimming area (for dogs!!) just above the spectacular weir.

http://parks.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=153

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Just about to head up to the track this morning but just a quick question. How dry does it have to be for racing/training to go ahead? Like if it rains, I presume it is a big no no, but how long does it usually take to dry before they go ahead again? I know it depends on weather conditions and how wet it is but I am just trying to get an idea of how risky this big trip may be as the weather forecast doesn't look too promising at the moment! Thanks ;)

Advertisement