Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

After 2002 they went for brand-exclusive PPVs except for the Big 4. The slot where KOTR was normally held was actually the first brand-exclusive PPV (Bad Blood). It just didn't fit into the new line-up of things

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Is Cena regarded as having poor ring 'psychology' (or whatever the correct term for 'simply doing the appropriate thing at the appropriate time' is called)?

I ask because I noticed at one point in the 6-man match on RAW this week that Cena was standing on the apron and had his arm outstretched looking for the hot-tag to Bryan .... WHILE Bryan was actually flat on his back and in the middle of a pin attempt by Roman Reigns.

Maybe I just misread what was going on but to me it was just one of those things I see in wrestling that "doesn't make any sense" from time to time.

Yes he has very poor in-ring psychology but that's more to do with his selling. He sells every move like he's just been shot in the back and just goes for a dead-sell until his inevitable comeback where he no-sells the damage of the match. I always compare him to Sheamus who's really good at psychology and always makes it look like he's trying to fight back when the heel is in control. Cena essentially makes his opponents look weak by first overselling and then no-selling completely rather than trying to look at it from a story perspective. But he's going to be the star of the show no matter what he does in the ring. The kids don't care about psychology so he can get away with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Jason Todd wrote: »
    WTF is up with Cena's left elbow? Only noticed it last night.

Elbow (Olecranon) Bursitis. There's a doctor in the house.

WWE.com has an article asking will be 100% for Summerslam.

WWE-John-Cena.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TheBantam

Are moves copyrighted by wrestlers/organisations? Both in name and how it's done?

Or Is it just moral thing that you shouldn't copy original finishers rather than legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Is Cena regarded as having poor ring 'psychology' (or whatever the correct term for 'simply doing the appropriate thing at the appropriate time' is called)?

I ask because I noticed at one point in the 6-man match on RAW this week that Cena was standing on the apron and had his arm outstretched looking for the hot-tag to Bryan .... WHILE Bryan was actually flat on his back and in the middle of a pin attempt by Roman Reigns.

Maybe I just misread what was going on but to me it was just one of those things I see in wrestling that "doesn't make any sense" from time to time.

In regards to what you are talking about, Cena was doing his job. He is a face. The face on the apron isnt meant to just stand there doing nothing while the partner gets beaten up (takes the heat) Look back to the Rockers tag team matches for one example. If Michaels was taking the heat, Jennetty just wouldnt be standing still on the apron. He was selling, extending his arm out, "come on shawn!" - "kick out shawn!!" - "come on, tag me shawn!" - Visually building up to the hot tag. and lets be honest, Cena just isnt a face. he's built up and presented as a super-face :pac: So you know yourself :pac:

But personally I think Cena is a good worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

TheBantam wrote: »
    Are moves copyrighted by wrestlers/organisations? Both in name and how it's done?

Or Is it just moral thing that you shouldn't copy original finishers rather than legal.
    Moves are copywrited, but only in name. It would be impossible to copywrite a move itself, regardless of execution. For example, Bret Hart's Sharpshooter and Sting's Scorpion Death Lock are the same, and can only be applied the same way. Same with Punk's GTS, a Jap wrestler used this long before Punk. (His name eludes me at the moment)

As regards the moral thing, this can sometimes be true. I remember, Kurt Angle being unhappy that Jack Swagger was using the ankle lock as a finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Watching Raw 97 last night and HBK cut a promo on Hart (the time Hart had the knee injury, aligned with Pillman etc) and HBK said "we all know you have had plenty of sunny days"

I presume that was a dig at the Hart doinking Sunny rumours.

My question is, did they actually have an affair, was it common knowledge (at the time) and did HBK get in trouble with Vince / management for mentioning it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Has a title ever changed hands due to the ref having to stop a match? So like no pinfall or submission. Just like when a monster guy first comes in he just beats jobbers up until the ref has to stop the match and grant the victory to the monster?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watching Raw 97 last night and HBK cut a promo on Hart (the time Hart had the knee injury, aligned with Pillman etc) and HBK said "we all know you have had plenty of sunny days"

My question is, did they actually have an affair, was it common knowledge (at the time) and did HBK get in trouble with Vince / management for mentioning it?

It's one of those things that was 'never confirmed' but highly suggested :P

"Officially:" (we have to use air quotes when we say that too :pac: )
    - In an interview Sunny said that, at the time, she just finished a relationship with Shawn Michaels. She claims that Michaels got it in his head that Bret was doing her. As, according to sunny, sunny had her own locker room and Bret asked if he could change in it. To get away from the 'boys'. Her locker room became "the sunny and bret locker room"
    - Both Sunny and Bret to this day say they were only friends.

Reality:

- My money is on that Bret Hart was with her (It's his own business if he was :p ) But Hart was married at the time and lets be honest, Sunny was quite the tramp. Two factors that spell he did it and why it never came out :p Heck there are rumors that even vince was with her! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Everyone was lobbing it up Sunny back then,chances are Bret probably was too.

HBK was pretty much invincible at that point in time because he was one of the WWF's only proper stars, so doubt he got into any trouble for it.Did lead to him and Bret having a hair pulling fight backstage afterwards according to Bob Holly's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Moves are copywrited, but only in name. It would be impossible to copywrite a move itself, regardless of execution. For example, Bret Hart's Sharpshooter and Sting's Scorpion Death Lock are the same, and can only be applied the same way. Same with Punk's GTS, a Jap wrestler used this long before Punk. (His name eludes me at the moment)

As regards the moral thing, this can sometimes be true. I remember, Kurt Angle being unhappy that Jack Swagger was using the ankle lock as a finish

That "Jap wrestler" is KENTA. He invented the move and used almost the exact same name. Punk changed it from Go 2 Sleep, to Go To Sleep. He also made it look a lot less painful :pac:

A lot of names are not copywrited. Christian for example still called it the Unprettier in TNA. Hardy still called it the Twist of Faith. I think only the main eventers get the copywrite treatment. Cena, Triple H, Angle (Changed from Angle Slam to Olympic Slam) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Doesn't mean they aren't copyrighted, the wrestler himself could own the copyright potentially.

It's rare for WWE to not rename in that case. They like to own everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Has a title ever changed hands due to the ref having to stop a match? So like no pinfall or submission. Just like when a monster guy first comes in he just beats jobbers up until the ref has to stop the match and grant the victory to the monster?

Not in a monster style like you described. I can think of two ref stoppages in title matches and both of them happened to be in unification matches. Jerry Lawler infamously beat Kerry von Erich to unify the AWA and WCWA Titles due to excessive blood loss at SuperClash III. The problem here was that Kerry had Lawler beat with the Iron Claw but the ref ruled in favour of Lawler due to said blood loss rule.

The other was Satoshi Kojima beating Hiroyoshi Tenzan in 2005 to win the IWGP Title to go with his Triple Crown. Almost an hour into the match Tenzan suffered an injury and couldn't continue. After spending several minutes trying to get Tenzan to recover they finally had to stop the match and award the titles to Kojima.

I recently saw a finish similar to that on an indie promotion called BLOW. The champion issued an open challenge and the wrestler that answered it was awarded the title because the ref ruled that the champ couldn't compete or something. It didn't make much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

How many dance partners did Fandango have?
    1. Original black-haired actual dancer
    2. Other dancer?
    3. Summer Rae.

Is that right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

jaykhunter wrote: »
    How many dance partners did Fandango have?
    1. Original black-haired actual dancer
    2. Other dancer?
    3. Summer Rae.

Is that right?

As far as I know he has only had 2 but I could be wrong. Think that total Diva's thing was an entirely scripted bit where they just pretended he has numerous different dancers (unless he maybe has different local dancers at house shows or something)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

I thought I remembered Fandango having a few different dance partners at the start so I googled it and found this, a few photos of different dance partners http://wfigs.proboards.com/thread/278682/fandango-dance-partners-pic-heavy?page=1#post-5592051

I remember reading an interview where the one we saw on TV a lot said she wasn't signed to a contract or anything. She was only called up at random and asked to appear. I presume they chose Summer Rae because they wanted the partner to be an active on screen character as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Currently working my way through the 2011 Rey Mysterio dvd set and I'm noticing a lot more editing than usual.

Stuff like different entrance music piped in over licensed music is all commonplace and unexpected. However, there seems to be a lot of wide-arena shots placed in at random moments during the entrances and before the matches start. A lot of the commentary seems to have been cut too.

This only started happening once I made it to the Smackdown matches. One of them was Edge/Rey vs Los Guerreros and the commentary is muted for almost the entire match.

Is there any particular reason this DVD set has a bit more editing than usual? Mentions of Chris Benoit maybe?

I think that was around the same time Angle and Benoit were teaming so they would have been involved with those two teams a fair bit. Fair enough not giving him a DVD or whatever, but editing out any mention after this long is redicilous IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

We often see the Raw main event or another matchup getting created due to interfernce durring the opening promo or match. Has anything like this ever happened at a PPV, were a matchup is announced due to a storyline development durring the PPV?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Kolido wrote: »
    We often see the Raw main event or another matchup getting created due to interfernce durring the opening promo or match. Has anything like this ever happened at a PPV, were a matchup is announced due to a storyline development durring the PPV?

Survivor Series springs to mind for me, Austin gets run over, replaced by The Big Show in the triple threat main event match.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Loughc wrote: »
    Survivor Series springs to mind for me, Austin gets run over, replaced by The Big Show in the triple threat main event match.

Or Orton and Legacy taking out Punk at Unforgiven, meaning he was replaced in the Championship Scramble by Jericho who won, even though Punk was champion. Or more than one "Edge replaces person in match, wins title" scenario.

There's been a few replacements in matches, but can't think of too many new matches being created solely on a PPV. Usually set up and announced on WWE.com first these days. Some used to be set up on Sunday Night Heat before the PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Penn wrote: »
    Or Orton and Legacy taking out Punk at Unforgiven, meaning he was replaced in the Championship Scramble by Jericho who won, even though Punk was champion. Or more than one "Edge replaces person in match, wins title" scenario.

There's been a few replacements in matches, but can't think of too many new matches being created solely on a PPV. Usually set up and announced on WWE.com first these days. Some used to be set up on Sunday Night Heat before the PPV.

Yeah thats more what I meant, a match set up that wasn't previously on the card. I would imagine there has been quite a few replacements in matches due to injuries (legit or kayfabe)

They did it a LOT in 2011. Half the matches Sheamus had on PPV that year were added on at the last minute with a backstage segment or promo to set them up. Two Diva matches last year happened like that too. Beth Phoenix vs Nikki Bella was announced for Extreme Rules but the storyline excuse was Beth was 'too injured' to compete so she was replaced with the returning Layla. And at Night of Champions it was meant to be Kaitlyn vs Layla but they did the angle of Kaitlyn getting attacked so Eve could replace her, which was obviously the way it was intended to happen from the start. I think when Sunday Night Heat was still going on, there would be the odd time a little storyline would be started on Heat to set up a match later on the PPV like Hardcore Holly vs William Regal at Survivor Series 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hogan winning the title at WrestleMania 9. He'd already competed in a tag team match vs Money, Inc but then came down after the Bret vs Yoko match and was inexplicably given a Title match there and then, which he won.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I guess you could nearly count MitB cash ins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Penn wrote: »

Bonus matches used to be fairly common back in the late 90's they throw out the likes of Droz, Venis, Edge or that into random matches that would have no real storyline and existed just to fill time.

I got a Question has WWE ever changed the result of a huge match just cause the result leaked early. I remember reading Sheamus was winning the title at TLC years ago hours before the show started so WWE must of known it was leaked then.

Advertisement