Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

He's suffering from heelitis also known as cenaitis. Being beat by Cena and turning Heel has ruined him for the moment. Hence the backstage storyline of the big bully terrorising everyone until the valiant face comes along to stop him.

Any idea who that's gonna be at the min?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Thepoet85 wrote: »

I haven't got a clue. Jokingly my friend and I are voting that it be the hurricane.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thepoet85 wrote: »

Zack Ryder

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Probably been asked already, but is there any particular reason why the Staples Center has been the permanent venue for Summerslam since 2009 and what looks like the foreseable future?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Kolido wrote: »
    is there any particular reason why the Staples Center has been the permanent venue for Summerslam since 2009 and what looks like the foreseable future?

WWE get a considerable amount more press/coverage holding the event LA than in other cities so they're happy to go there once a year. (I think that's far too often for a venue -and spiting other states at the chance to host SummerSlam- but WWE are happy with doing it.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Q:

What is a week's diary like in the life of a top wrestler?

I'd often wonder how the likes of Cena and Punk - in between working Mondays, Tuedays, the odd Sundays and house shows, training, public appearances and catching flights to all of these places - find the time for their families and personal life.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Q:

I'd often wonder how the likes of Cena and Punk - in between working Mondays, Tuedays, the odd Sundays and house shows, training, public appearances and catching flights to all of these places - find the time for their families and personal life.

Most of them don't. That's why alot of wrestlers hook up with Divas they can have some kind of life on the road together, almost every wrestler at some stage/interview will say how much they miss their families./don't see them/don't see their kids grow up, but this is the life they choose, I'm sure the upsides make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Q:

Most WWE guys are on the road for easily 300 days a year. That's only two months they might be able to spend at home. Cena and the others who do a lot of outside stuff like Make a Wish probably get about two weeks at home a year.

That kind of travelling is a big reason why TNA are able to attract the likes of Angle. Not getting paid as much, but get a tonne more time with their family. Dragon Gate in Japan have a hectic schedule but other than them, it's only WWE guys who are constantly on the road. Every other company get a lot more time at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Q: What way would a typical wrestlers contract or wage be structured? Is it a basic monthly or yearly wage, with bonuses if you make TV or do extra house shows? Do you get a raise once you are considered 'main event'? Do you get paid the same if you suffer a long-ish injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Not sure what the deal with WWE contracts are but in TNA (or at least it was back in 2008, it may have changed), the contract states that the wrestler is paid per appearance. I think the salary outlined in their contract only applies if the wrestler is used. So if they're injured or just not used, they're not getting all the money. And I think in WWE there's a lot more royalties to be made with action figures, the video games, promotional merchandise etc. As far as I know WWE also pays for hospital bills for injuries suffered while working for them. TNA fronts the wrestler the money but then takes it out of their paycheck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Thanks Bobby. Would they get a lot of expenses to travel and eat if they were just travelling with a show but might not necessarily be appearing on the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

WWE guarantee them so much a year in basic pay,then they make the rest by how many shows they work.They are paid a % of the live gate and PPV revenue going by their position on the card,so if they work the opening match they are going to be getting less than the guys in the main event.Plus they get royalties for their own merchandise,and if they are featured in the video games etc.

WWE only pay for flights.Hotel,rental car,food etc is up to each wrestler to cover themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: When (and why) did WWE change from the kind of cage they had in Wrestlemania II to the sort of chain-link-fence style they use today?

I have to admit I kind prefer the look of the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: When wrestlers pop out by surprise from under the ring (eg Randy Orton on the last Smackdown) how do they actually get into position in the first place without the crowd seeing them?

Is there a temporary blackout in the arena or something before he gets in position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: When wrestlers pop out by surprise from under the ring (eg Randy Orton on the last Smackdown) how do they actually get into position in the first place without the crowd seeing them?

Is there a temporary blackout in the arena or something before he gets in position?

I think they dim the arena lights to sneak them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Q: When (and why) did WWE change from the kind of cage they had in Wrestlemania II to the sort of chain-link-fence style they use today?

It's lighter to transport, easier to set up, easier on the camera, and doesnt hurt as much to hit.

Dress up as a crew member and go during the downtime when the lights do be dimmed. Nobody pays attention to the crew members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

The last time the steel bar cage was used by WWF was at the UK PPV Rebellion 2001 in a match between Edge and Christian. Last time it was used on North American TV might have been the Steve Austin vs Vince McMahon match in Feb 1999.

The why was there was no give in the old style cage and it hurt th wrestlers like hell. The modern version has much more give adding to the dramatics of being bounced off the steel cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

How is the Undertaker a "locker-room leader" if he's not around 360 days a year? Or is that a term from when he was more full time and the status is something they won't strip him of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

jaykhunter wrote: »
    How is the Undertaker a "locker-room leader" if he's not around 360 days a year? Or is that a term from when he was more full time and the status is something they won't strip him of.

Term from when he was full time basically.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »

You try stripping that title from him! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Has any wrestler been buried on tv by the commentators? I don't mean the heel commentator slagging the wrestler off, but someone who was genuinely bad in the ring and the commentators didn't even try to cover for them when calling the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Has any wrestler been buried on tv by the commentators? I don't mean the heel commentator slagging the wrestler off, but someone who was genuinely bad in the ring and the commentators didn't even try to cover for them when calling the match.
    I recall Divas getting buried not so long ago, if that counts? How did the Bagwell / Booker T stinker on Raw go down with the commentators at the time I wonder?

once i recall Michael Cole saying of Tensai someone "gave him an injection of charisma for the first time in his career", he was back to being a face then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Their was the strange skit when Brad Maddox was fumblng his words and Cole and King were just slagging him on air it was very strange. Although it was a talking segment not wrestling.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Compare Michael Cole's commentary on Bryan Danielson from a few years ago to the things he's been saying this year. It's beautiful!

For the divas, they're always slagging them, whether the match is decent or not.
    For Brad Maddox, wasn't that part of his character that the commentators were playing along with?
    And for Daniel Bryan, that was pre Jerry heart attack heel cole.

And for Tensai, I think the best thing he's ever done was give WWF an excuse to bring Trish in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

CastorTroy wrote: »

Not quite what you asked but remember when Austin would come out and start yelling boring at Lance Storm?

What was that all about and did anything ever come of it storyline wise?

Was that carried over from WCW? I always remember him coming out and starting with "If I can be serious for a minute". So the whole boring thing was his gimmick, I guess

• Advertisement

It led to Lance going to Goldust for advice and turning face for a few months. Then one Raw he complained about how he had become a joke and I don't remember ever seeing him again after that

Advertisement