Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When did the fans start saying 'Wooooo!' after each knife edge chop? Was it around 1997 maybe? I knowit's obviously a Flair thing but when did it enter the mainstream?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: How rich (kayfabe) are wrestlers supposed to be?

I just ask cos back in the day they used to often have have big cash prizes for winning matches (eg a battle royal or whatever). One tournament even had a $1m dollar prize (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crockett,_Sr._Memorial_Cup_Tag_Team_Tournament).

However on Raw this week Randy Orton was given a vehicle by Triple H that has a sticker price of around $80k and he was acting like it was some sort life changing prize (or at least a very big deal). Anyway it got me thinking.

Now I'd imagine that (in reality I mean) the top WWE talent make more money than guys 20-30 years ago, but are the WWE trying to present it as tho the wrestlers are actually living more modestly within the story itself than they used to be a generation ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say it was more that no matter how much money you have, if your boss gives you something like that it's a pretty big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: How rich (kayfabe) are wrestlers supposed to be? I just ask cos back in the day they used to often have have big cash prizes for winning matches (eg a battle royal or whatever). One tournament even had a $1m dollar prize (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crockett,_Sr._Memorial_Cup_Tag_Team_Tournament).

However on Raw this week Randy Orton was given a vehicle by Triple H that has a sticker price of around $80k and he was acting like it was some sort life changing prize (or at least a very big deal). Anyway it got me thinking. Now I'd imagine that (in reality I mean) the top WWE talent make more money than guys 20-30 years ago, but are the WWE trying to present it as tho the wrestlers are actually living more modestly within the story itself than they used to be a generation ago?
    It varies depending on what mood Vince/H is in. Remember when Triple H fined R-Truth and Miz $250,000 EACH back in 2011? Sheamo got fined $500,000 for attack a ref last year! August last year (when Punk needed staples on his head) he claimed he had to pay $500,000 for blading. In June this year, Kaitlyn got fined $10,000 for slapping a referee. Also in June, Bryan & Orton were fined "an undisclosed amount" for their chairshots to the head.

From this, the men must be kayfabe making many millions per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

How do I post an actual photo on boards, instead of a link or URL? Thank You in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ardle1 wrote: »
    How do I post an actual photo on boards, instead of a link or URL? Thank You in advance.

Put [noparse][IMG][/IMG][/noparse] tags around the URL.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ardle1 wrote: »

upload the picture somewhere or if its already online right click on it for its properties or image info and copy and paste its location in between a set of these [img][/img]

or copy and paste it into the box created when you select the insert image option when you have clicked reply to thread.

I assume thats what you mean.

if what I wrote above seems like gobbilydygook just quote my post and see what appears in the place of this picture:

vxBUZ.gif

thats how I got it to appear and as you can see it also works with gifs

edit: or for a much more simplistic answer minus a hula girl look above :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

wwesandow.jpg
    You're welcome.

Wow, ;)" alt="works! ;)" />

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Put [noparse][IMG][/IMG][/noparse] tags around the URL.

bth_EGRtoTurbopipe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Is big show as broke as steph was saying on raw this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

cena wrote: »

In kayfabe, he's blown all his money from the "ironclad" contract (somehow).

In real life, I'm sure he's sitting comfortably at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I think Big Show got a massive money ten year deal when he originally signed. It would be some going if he had blown it all considering he has rarely been below the upper card. I reckon he is easily one of the higher earners too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

cena wrote: »

No.

He can afford his own personal tour bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I'd guess Big Show is one of the wealthiest guys in wrestling today.

I'd guess Big Show is one of the wealthiest guys in wrestling today.

I don't know if Big Show still retains him but during WCW, Attitude Era and beyond Show's agent was Barry Bloom. He handled Hollywood, NHL, NBA stars and high cost Wrestlers like Nash, Hall, Goldberg and Foley. When Jim Ross was in talent relations he despised Barry Bloom as he was such a hard bargainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

From watching the Divas show Cena seems like a very wealthy man, private jets and a palatial home. As the top guy of the company how much would he pull in a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

not sure how accurate this is but it was posted on the wrestling observer forum recently, it doesn't include PPV or merch cut

Male Wrestlers

Alberto Del Rio: $675,000 downside/first class travel – 3 year contract
    Big Show: $1,050,000 downside/allocated a personal touring bus/first class travel arrangements paid for, when bus travel is not an option – 10 year contract
    Brodus Clay: $170,000 downside – 2 year contract
    Christian: $595,000 downside/first class travel – 3 year contract
    CM Punk: $1,220,500 downside/allocated a personal touring bus/first class travel arrangements paid for, when bus travel is not an option/receives an additional 3.25% bonus for high merchandise sales – 7 year contract
    Cody Rhodes: $494,500 downside – 3 year contract
    Daniel Bryan: $620,470 downside – 3 year contract
    Darren Young: $80,145 downside – 3 year contract
    Dolph Ziggler: $540,230 downside – 3 year contract
    Jack Swagger: $319,000 downside – 3 year contract
    Jinder Mahal: $75,000 downside – 3 year contract
    John Cena: $2,750,000 downside/first class travel and accommodation/receives an additional 6.25% bonus for high merchandise sales – 10 year contract
    Kane: $905,000 downside/first class travel and accommodation – 5 year contract
    Kofi Kingston: $254,200 downside – 3 year contract
    Mark Henry: $877,000 downside/first class travel – 10 year contract
    Randy Orton: $1,600,500 downside/allocated a personal touring bus/first class travel arrangements paid for, when bus travel is not an option/receives an additional 2.2% bonus for high merchandise sales – 10 year contract
    Rey Mysterio: $985,000 downside/first class travel arrangements/receives an additional 4% bonus for high merchandise sales – 5 year contract
    Sheamus: $1,000,000 downside/first class travel arrangements – 7 year contract
    Tensai: $520,000 downside – 3 year contract
    The Great Khali: $974,000 downside – 5 year contract
    The Miz: $712,000 downside/first class travel – 5 year contract
    Zack Ryder: $135,050 downside/receives an additional 1.5% bonus for high merchandise sales – 3 year contract

Divas

Alicia Fox: $72,520 downside – 3 year contract
    AJ Lee: $104,300 downside – 3 year contract
    Beth Phoenix: $112,500 downside/first class travel – 3 year contract
    Eve: $109,475 downside/first class travel – 5 year contract
    Layla: $86,450 downside – 3 year contract
    Natalya: $74,410 downside – 3 year contract

Announcers

Booker T: $477,375 downside/first class travel and accommodation – 3 year contract
    Jerry Lawler: $500,000 downside/first class travel and accommodation/allowed to make independent appearances – 5 year contract
    Matt Striker: $164,000 downside – 3 year contract
    Michael Cole: $549,000 downside/first class travel and accommodation – 5 year contract

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Downside I believe is paid even if you don't wrestle once in the year. It's guaranteed. They earn extra for every house show Tv and PPV appearance. The PPV's payoffs can be big for the top stars. Also you factor in the percentage they get for Merch sales.

If those figures are accurate somebody like Sheamas could make over the 2 mil mark per annum.

Isnt remotely accurate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

rovert wrote: »
    Isnt remotely accurate

Care to elaborate? :p

enjoyable list to read. it must be over a year old though given that Eve,Beth and Matt Striker are on It.

Also, you would have to now add in D. Youngs Fabulous allowance

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Care to elaborate? :p

It has been posted before here and elsewhere. Completely shot down by every major Journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

What kind of contract would Taker be on... or would he even be on one?

What could he expect to get for just making the one appearance at Mania a year?

Degag wrote: »
    What kind of contract would Taker be on... or would he even be on one?

What could he expect to get for just making the one appearance at Mania a year?

From what I have HEARD (with no substantive evidence that I can link to) from various places is that Undertaker has no formal contract and operates on a handshake with Vince McMahon and has a $1 million downside deal. Which is apparently the maximum downside any WWE wrestler has (except Triple H).

Simply Undertaker earns a minimum of million dollars. The maximum would be the sum of Undertaker's Wrestlemania payoff + whatever he received for his TV appearances + merchandise + video game + DVD + whatever else royalties.

Word has it is that that Vince McMahon loves to write as many $1 million cheques for Wrestlemania payoffs as possible. It is a physiological thing for both Vince and performers to prove Wrestlemania is the big deal. The con comes in where if Vince rounds up your Wrestlemania payoff it will deducted from your payoffs for other shows the rest of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Jaysus,they wouldn't be getting those sort of downsides even if Bischoff was signing the cheques!

Think Jericho said in his book that his WWE downside was something like $250k a year,and he never earned less than double that every year.If his downside was in that region there's no way in hell the likes of Kofi,Dolph or Swagger are on more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Is JBL a fan of football and rugby in real life, he makes comments about them sometimes, like the Bale comment on last weeks raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Rugby yes, dont know about football. Think he coaches rugby from time to time.

Kolido wrote: »
    Is JBL a fan of football and rugby in real life, he makes comments about them sometimes, like the Bale comment on last weeks raw.

He's just a knowledgeable man that understands there's a world outside of the USA. He often mentions New Japan, Puerto Rico and Mexican promotions. My favorite is when Cole lists off all the countries that RAW is live in and JBL will chime in with ''Don't forget Bermuda!''

Gets me everytime :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Kolido wrote: »

I'm waiting for the week he brings up GAA results with Sheamus out I will be left waiting a while. I bet Cole hadn't a clue who Bale was & why he was worth €100m

Advertisement