Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

What has happened to Shane McMahon? Will he return ?
    Who will run the business when Vince cant continue ? Steph or HHH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Dubliner28 wrote: »

Shane is out of wrestling altogether. He has no tie's other than his name.

Stephanie and Triple H are already in charge of a lot of stuff, so it will be them both (Stephanie probably in Vince's place legally) unless Vince sells the company which will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

He was involved in some athlete agency that looked after the likes of Rory McIlroy, I don't know if that is still the case. He was spotted in Rory's entourage on the course a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    He was involved in some athlete agency that looked after the likes of Rory McIlroy, I don't know if that is still the case. He was spotted in Rory's entourage on the course a couple of times.
    Think Rory has since changed management

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Must be Chubby Chandlers agency?

Would love to see him come back.. Would take Shane O'Mac over Steph anyday.. HHH too is debateable.

He's running some tv on demand company in China?

He gets slated a lot, but he had more charisma than most wrestlers have today..

If I was in control of WWE I would fire Kofi Kingston, Axel and Jack Swagger in the morn. Have the personality of a packet of crisps between them.

Who would you fire? Any takers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Who did Bryan Danielson work with in Japan? I assume NJPW? Would love to see some of his matches over there, I've seen a lot of his available indie stuff in the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think it was mostly NOAH tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Who did Bryan Danielson work with in Japan? I assume NJPW? Would love to see some of his matches over there, I've seen a lot of his available indie stuff in the States.

Youtube and Dailymotion would have alot. Tape traders have all sorts of comps.

Search for his matches with KENTA in NOAH.
    gimmick wrote: »
    I think it was mostly NOAH tbh.

More or less. New Japan the first half of the 00s and then NOAH for second half of the decade as NOAH had a talent agreement with ROH.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: What are the (kayfabe) punishments/downsides for a champion who deliberately gets himself disqualified? I guess there's probably examples of storylines where a champ is repeatedly doing it and is eventually punished, but it seems like it's a no-lose situation for a champ who wants to hang onto his belt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: What are the (kayfabe) punishments/downsides for a champion who deliberately gets himself disqualified? I guess there's probably examples of storylines where a champ is repeatedly doing it and is eventually punished, but it seems like it's a no-lose situation for a champ who wants to hang onto his belt.

Generally, they get booked in a No DQ match or something similar afterwards. And those stories then tend to book the faces as having the advantage against the cowardly heel in a match like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The champ could be made to defend the belt where the title CAN chage via dq, that has been done alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Omackeral wrote: »
    The champ could be made to defend the belt where the title CAN chage via dq, that has been done alright.

IIRC Rock vs Benoit from 00/01 had such a stip.

Foley was commissioner at the time and I think Rock was goin mad battering Benoit with chairs and what not leading up to it

It resulted in one if my favourite Rocky insults when he called the Crippler a "no tooth bitch"

:D

Thanks for the answers. The no-DQ title defense thing has never made sense to me.

It's basically saying "yeah, go ahead and get yourself disqualified. The worst that'll happen is .... uh .... you get to keep the title and will just have to defend it again some time in the future." It makes you wonder how any wrestler ever manages to lose any title ever when they have this handy get-out clause. I remember the Honky Tonk Man used to get himself DQ'd or counted out practically any time he came up against a non-jobber.

If they made up something like "a $100k fine or a 30 days suspension or you get stripped of the title" then it'd probably make some sense. As it is it's akin to an undefeated team in some other real sport being 30 seconds away from losing their streak and rather than lose they just pick up the ball and walk out of the stadium with absolutely no repercussions.

I know it's just 'entertainment' but it seems like an outdated gimmick, like the bad guy just escaping at the end of every single episode of some tv show or whatever. It's just something you probably wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't get away with today in other types of storytelling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think the DQ and count out clause exist because of the idea a title needs to be won. It stops a cheap count out or a wrestler doing something to get the champ DQ'd (for example it would be stupid for Ricardo not to attack RVD and cost Del Rio the title).

As said the champ will often get punished and forced into rematch with extra stipulations to stop the DQ happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

It would have also been used in the territory days so the nwa champ could keep the belt while getting the local guy over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Was just watching Hogan vs Rock at WM18, and i notice how they kept calling Rock "wrestlings future"

Did people in wrestling, or fans, have any idea that Rock was going to become a full time actor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Was just watching Hogan vs Rock at WM18, and i notice how they kept calling Rock "wrestlings future"

Did people in wrestling, or fans, have any idea that Rock was going to become a full time actor ?

Of course they did. They just didn't expect that he'd be done with WWE officially 2 years later. They presumed he would film then wrestle, film then wrestle.

Rock had already taken half of the previous year off to film The Scorpion King and had a scheduled break booked just weeks after this match with Hogan. In fact, this was technically The Rock's last full run in the WWE. (August 2001 - April 2002). He would later return on a short-term basis (July 2002-August 2002, February 2003-April 2003, February 2004-March 2004).

Is there a website or record page on the WWE site to show a wrestlers win loss ratio of matches at major events/PV (ie CM Punk at WM/Summerslam etc etc) ???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is there a website or record page on the WWE site to show a wrestlers win loss ratio of matches at major events/PV (ie CM Punk at WM/Summerslam etc etc) ???

I don't think there is, mainly because unless it's part of a story line (Taker's streak, losing streaks, etc), WWE don't care about records like that.There's plenty of fan sites or Wikipedia for that info, but WWE don't want to show that they'll commonly have a guy losing show after show and then suddenly become champion :P

Cheers man was thinking that, was just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

My main man Mookie's site:

https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

rovert wrote: »

Great site, at the end of 2012

Dolph Ziggler's record was: 186 matches (35-148-3) = 19% win

:eek::eek:

19 freaking percent! Amazing he kept himself as over as he is!

EDIT: This made me chuckle;

Stats for Major Feuds (includes both tag and singles matches)

Big Show vs. John Cena: 55 matches (Cena won them all)

John Cena vs. Kane: 44 matches (Cena won them all)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And can be sure it was an amazing feat of strength and had never seen anything like it, when he lifted Show for the FU each time

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What was the basis , or reason more so, of creating the European Title? Was it to compete with the WCW TV title? And why do they retire and reinstate it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Omackeral wrote: »
    What was the basis , or reason more so, of creating the European Title? Was it to compete with the WCW TV title? And why do they retire and reinstate it at all?

It was likely created due to the increasing European audience at the time. The title itself was won by the British Bulldog via tournament, in Germany.

As to the merging, and reinstatement, I'm not too sure. Perhaps there were too many titles floating around when it was merged (I think WCW's belts were coming in around this time). Reinstatement is a whole other issue that I can't quite figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Loughc wrote: »

:eek::eek:

EDIT: This made me chuckle;

Stats for Major Feuds (includes both tag and singles matches)

Big Show vs. John Cena: 55 matches (Cena won them all)

John Cena vs. Kane: 44 matches (Cena won them all)

Interesting stats and not to invalidate your point, but I'm pretty sure Cena-Kane in Royal Rumble 2012 was a draw with Kane laying out Cena after the match.

Wonder do those stats include house shows?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Interesting stats and not to invalidate your point, but I'm pretty sure Cena-Kane in Royal Rumble 2012 was a draw with Kane laying out Cena after the match.

I think they do indeed include house shows. You are right about the royal rumble tho. But I didn't comply the stats haha.

Still incredible how one sided cena feuds are results wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Loughc wrote: »

I'm fairly sure that Dolph was a heel for the entire 2012 calendar year and on house shows, most matches are won by babyfaces. (Although it's not like it was in the early 90's when on some cards, 100% win record for faces).

And he was stuck in that tag-team with Swagger for half the year so it's not all singles matches.

I bet the likes of Santino Marella and Tons of Funk have an impressive win-loss record, house show darlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Yes they would have to because Dolph wrestled 186 matches, so even if that was all 52 Raw's and all 52 Smackdowns, and 12 PPV's, still leaves the numbers short.

Then again he was wrestling twice a night on multiple occasions *Gets the calculator out :rolleyes:*

• Advertisement

Q: Are there many examples of wrestlers "inheriting" a move directly from another pro? The recent example I can think of is The Miz taking the Figure-Four from Ric Flair during a Miz TV segment.

Advertisement