Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Does stealing count since I remember Cena's FU came from Brock's F5?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Are there many examples of wrestlers "inheriting" a move directly from another pro? The recent example I can think of is The Miz taking the Figure-Four from Ric Flair during a Miz TV segment.

I can't think of any other "here, take my move" segments, but...
    Nattie with Bret's Sharp-Shooter
    Christian using Edge's spear
    Does CM Punk's savage elbow count?
    If so, then Chavo's 3 amigos too.
    Curtis Axel's Perfect-Plex
    Ringmaster (Austin) used to use the Million Dollar Dream
    Lawler's kid used to do the Piledriver
    Kane taking Undertaker's special moves (Chokeslam and Tombstone)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Q: Are there many examples of wrestlers "inheriting" a move directly from another pro? The recent example I can think of is The Miz taking the Figure-Four from Ric Flair during a Miz TV segment.

Randy Orton more or less inherited the RKO from DDP, he started using the cutter after Page suggested he do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

At any point was the WHC more prestigious than the WWE belt?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Kolido wrote: »
    At any point was the WHC more prestigious than the WWE belt?

Yes, in some people's eyes when HHH held the WHC in 2002/3, he made it more prestigious than the WWE Belt which was on Smackdown at the time.

Having the WHC on Raw helped elevate it to the No1 title, and it needed to seem important when they re-introduced it in 2002.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: (More of an opinion/impression than looking for a straight answer) but when a wrestler disappears for a while and then reappears with a new gimmick (eg Los Matadores = Primo & Epico) what % of the audience (both live and the tv audience) actually don't realise it's the same guys?

I can kinda get how this mechanism would have worked well pre-internet. But it kinda seems pointless doing it the modern communication era.

//

Also that leads me to another question. When guys like Ryback or Bray Wyatt (both Nexus members IIRC?) disappear and then reappear with their new gimmick are we suppose to (kayfabe) believe that they are the person who was in the Nexus or that they are actually brand new athletes who were never in the WWE before?

For example Ryback, they never really speak of the current characters past so it becomes blurred (at least to me) as to whether I'm supposed to acknowledge that 'Skip Sheffield is Ryback' or if I'm supposed to just pretend they are different people. Hope that makes sense!

Q: (More of an opinion/impression than looking for a straight answer) but when a wrestler disappears for a while and then reappears with a new gimmick (eg Los Matadores = Primo & Epico) what % of the audience (both live and the tv audience) actually don't realise it's the same guys?

I can kinda get how this mechanism would have worked well pre-internet. But it kinda seems pointless doing it the modern communication era.

//

Also that leads me to another question. When guys like Ryback or Bray Wyatt (both Nexus members IIRC?) disappear and then reappear with their new gimmick are we suppose to (kayfabe) believe that they are the person who was in the Nexus or that they are actually brand new athletes who were never in the WWE before?

For example Ryback, they never really speak of the current characters past so it becomes blurred (at least to me) as to whether I'm supposed to acknowledge that 'Skip Sheffield is Ryback' or if I'm supposed to just pretend they are different people. Hope that makes sense!

Sometimes they will acknowledge a superstar's past, and they have done so with Ryback in the past. Bray though, in my opinion, is a whole other suoerstar, he was never Husky Harris, as far as the WWE see it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rocky and Rambo.

Same in wrestling, its a performance and its okay for a performer to play a different persona.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That question above just reminded me of a Royal Rumble years ago when Mick Foley tried to enter under a few of his different personae! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

If they get to legend age then it becomes okay to reference previous gimmicks and personas

I can't remember which wrestler said this in an interview but it went "you know if you debut in WWE as a face and then come back as a heel, that didn't happen"

• Advertisement

Q: When Cesaro does that leapfrog over Swagger and goes two footed onto his opponents chest what is the trick for reducing the impact?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Q: When Cesaro does that leapfrog over Swagger and goes two footed onto his opponents chest what is the trick for reducing the impact?

Would like to know this too.

Should probably ask Paddy Morrow after Prince Devitt did his patented top rope foot stomp on him over the weekend:

BVu2G1zIIAAayaE.jpg

Wrestlers seem to bounch off the chest rather than laying it fully in is all I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I always reckoned they rolled as fast as possible after making contact with the stomp. Except Low-ki who stomps it like you would a spider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I got two Questions.
    1. Where was the angle that Bischoff kissed Stephanie meant to go?
    2. Did Mankind ever wrestle Bret Hart during 1996/7?

GTR63 wrote: »
    I got two Questions.
    1. Where was the angle that Bischoff kissed Stephanie meant to go?
    2. Did Mankind ever wrestle Bret Hart during 1996/7?

In answer to question 2, there's a Youtube video of them facing off on Shotgun Saturday Night in 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Re Bischoff/Steph,former WWE writer Seth Mates said this about it on his blog a few years back:
    Former WWE creative team member Seth Mates writes that the Eric Bischoff and Stephanie McMahon kiss on the Halloween 2002 edition of Smackdown was not included in in the script. "In no version of any script/rundown from that day will you find the kiss," Mates writes in his Newsday column. "It was never supposed to be part of the show."

Mates adds that the writers wanted to follow up on the kiss. "We threw together a number of ideas to try and follow up on it -- A secret affair? A drunken mistake? -- but we were told to forget it ever happened. I brought up the point that the reason why it's so easy for fans to stop watching our show is because of dropped storylines like that, but I was told let's forget it ever happened."

Probably another one of Vince's dodgy ideas,like the reported incest one he wanted to do with Steph.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Not sure how Cesaro does it, but in general, they roll forward/backward almost as soon as contact is made. It hurts, but not more than any other move. Check on Sonjay Dutt's Moonsault double stomp for an obvious example. He does be rolling sometimes before he even hits them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I would think its done by bending the knees, flexing the ankles and flexing /dropping hips back. That Increases the impact time and in turns decreaces the force of landing.

The higher you go the more you need to absorb and as above that's where the role comes in, your not putting all your weight down on the guy below.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What outside belts have shown up on WWE TV over the years?

Off the top off my head I recall Tazz bringing the ECW title onto Smackdown in 2000 vs HHH.

Dan Severn had the NWA Heavyweight Title, UFC Superfight Championship and another UFC Title all at once on one episode of Raw in 1998.

Jarrett with the NWA North American Title and then I think the NWA tag titles were on TV with the Headbangers and the Midnight Express.

Obviously then you have Flair bringing the Big Gold Belt in the early 90's and the InVasion angle which had the US Title, , the Cruiserweight belt, the WCW Tag straps and the WCW Heavyweight Title.

Am I missing any?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Heavenly bodies fought the Rock n roll express for the smokey mountain wrestling tag title at SS 93

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kolido wrote: »
    Heavenly bodies fought the Rock n roll express for the smokey mountain wrestling tag title at SS 93

Thanks for this K. Wasn't aware of that at all. I take it this was Cornette heavy? Cool little bit of trivia though, nice one.

Q: Did anyone ever beat Hulk Hogan cleanly by pin or submission during his runs as Champ 84-90?

I'd be interested in a singles win vs him but I'm guessing that probably never happened. So even a tag match perhaps?

Oh and I mean in WWF. I'm guessing maybe he lost a few in Japan if he did any extra work out there during those years?

Definitely not by submission. Angle is the only person to tap him out in his whole WWE/F career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Q: Did anyone ever beat Hulk Hogan cleanly by pin or submission during his runs as Champ 84-90? I'd be interested in a singles win vs him but I'm guessing that probably never happened. So even a tag match perhaps? Oh and I mean in WWF. I'm guessing maybe he lost a few in Japan if he did any extra work out there during those years?

Nobody's pinned him, no. The Genius beat him by countout on SNME October 31, 1989. Also countout losses (on house shows) to Studd, Inoki, Bossman, Macho, Muraco, Orndorff, Bundy... Double DQ in his match was Andre at WM4.
    Maybe not winning a Battle Royal or Royal Rumble (eg 89 Rumble was eliminated by the Twin Towers.) He also got eliminated from the 87 Series by countout (thanks to Bundy & One Man Gang). Best you can hope for really is where someone else jobs in a tag match against Inoki, but Hogan's never taking the fall. Amazing protection, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

He lost to warrior clean didnt he

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

When Eric Bischoff debuted on WWE TV, am I right in thinking his first appearance was the backstage segment with Booker T where Booker says 'Tell me I didn't just see that?' and NOT the moment where Vince introduced him as the new GM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

When Eric Bischoff debuted on WWE TV, am I right in thinking his first appearance was the backstage segment with Booker T where Booker says 'Tell me I didn't just see that?' and NOT the moment where Vince introduced him as the new GM?

Yup, watched the whole show for the first time recently. Bischoff's appearance also distracts from how utterly railroaded Booker's promo was, where he cringeworthily tries to emulate The Rock in terms of messing with announcers.

Said segment starts at ~39:21 for anyone wondering:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Or just watch this instead:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

sky88 wrote: »
    He lost to warrior clean didnt he

the loss to warrior was his first clean loss between january 1984 and april 1990 and even then hogan had warrior down for the 3 count about 5 minutes before the real finish came but ref was knocked out

for those complaining about cenas time on top and never losing clean i saw this on wrestling forum
    Bruno Sammartino – 15 years on top. NEVER lost clean.

Bob Backlund – 7 years on top. NEVER lost clean.

Hulk Hogan – 9 years on top. Lost clean ONCE to Ultimate Warrior

Bret Hart – 3 years on top. Lost clean twice. Wrestlemania 10 and 12.

Shawn Michaels – Only had a year or so on top as a babyface. Never lost clean.

Stone Cold – 4/5 years on top. Lost clean once as top face (at No Way Out 2001). That result was presented as a fluke when his opponent happened to fall on top of him when they were both knocked out. And he stunned HHH after the match so he could still stand tall anyway.

The Rock – Top babyface throughout most of 2000, throughout the invasion and then his last full time run in 2002. Lost clean once to Brock Lesnar at Summerslam when he was on his way out of the company.

Brock Lesnar – Only spent around a year as the top face. Lost clean once to Kurt Angle in a triple threat which was the catalyst for his heel turn.

Advertisement