Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

When Eric Bischoff debuted on WWE TV, am I right in thinking his first appearance was the backstage segment with Booker T where Booker says 'Tell me I didn't just see that?' and NOT the moment where Vince introduced him as the new GM?

He mentions this in his book, saying that the idea was that people watching at home would call their friends during the ad-break to tell them that Eric Bischoff would be announced as the new GM in the next segment, and to try and get a huge spike in ratings.

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Did anyone ever beat Hulk Hogan cleanly by pin or submission during his runs as Champ 84-90?

The question's already been answered, but if your looking for Hogan being pinned, the next best thing was the Wrestlemania 3 re-match between Hogan and Andre, watched by no less than 33 million people, where Andre 'pins' Hogan.

Brilliant drama at the end of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: How is 'breaking the count' accepted in wrestling? By that I mean two wrestlers are outside the ring at the count of 9, then one slides in the ring and back out again and the count resets. I get the mechanism of it but I don't see how it actually makes any sense in a competitive sense (especially say in a match that is not for a title).

I seem to recall this never happened in wrestling when I was a kid. Now I'm watching again and it seems to happen at least once every week. Was this 'rule' just something "made up" in the 90's/00's to extend the drama and to give more variety to matches etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

No, def went way back, I remember it happening on WCW worldwide in early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: How is 'breaking the count' accepted in wrestling? By that I mean two wrestlers are outside the ring at the count of 9, then one slides in the ring and back out again and the count resets. I get the mechanism of it but I don't see how it actually makes any sense in a competitive sense (especially say in a match that is not for a title).

I seem to recall this never happened in wrestling when I was a kid. Now I'm watching again and it seems to happen at least once every week. Was this 'rule' just something "made up" in the 90's/00's to extend the drama and to give more variety to matches etc?

It has to reset otherwise the referee would be counting each guy separately. Way more hassle than its worth. Personally, I prefere the 20 count as the count break isn't needed very often.

If you're asking from a kayfabe point of view, for a babyface, they would want to win the match properly whereas the heel isn't done and wants to hurt his opponent some more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

rossie1977 wrote: »
    for those complaining about cenas time on top and never losing clean i saw this on wrestling forum

That's some crazy selective (incorrect) fudging of facts on that forum. That said Cena's lost some big profile matches clean over the last 2 years. (Rock, Punk, Bryan)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Q. Does anybody know what happens to championship belts after they become defunct in the WWE? Do WWE keep them in storage or on display or do the last holders of the belt get to keep them? For example RVD may hold the European and Hardcore Championships and Layla may permanently hold the Women's title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Say the actual belts are in the WWE warehouse.

Few wrestlers have replicas of the titles they 'won' in their homes though.

I know I've seen pics of The Rock and HHH's gaffs and they had titles they had held in the past displayed in frames on their walls.

Zemuppet wrote: »
    Q. Does anybody know what happens to championship belts after they become defunct in the WWE? Do WWE keep them in storage or on display or do the last holders of the belt get to keep them? For example RVD may hold the European and Hardcore Championships and Layla may permanently hold the Women's title.

This is WWE's policy, territories and indies may differ : Retired belts are in WWE's storage facility and can be brought out for special occasions (like Axxess). When a wrestler wins a belt, there's two belts in circulation : one for house shows that the wrestler takes care of 24/7, and the "TV" belts which are shipped around by the company itself. When a wrestler wins a belt, a framed replica is sent to their house. So Triple H has a garage full of replica world titles!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Does the replica go out for every belt? Meaning Raven has nearly 30 replicas of the Hardcore title?

Funny they do that but yet AJ is considered a belt mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Rumour has it the the Hardcore Championship was an old WWF Winged Eagle smashed with a hammer and with a few stickers on it!

WWE-WWF-Hardcore-Championship-Belt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Omackeral wrote: »
    Rumour has it the the Hardcore Championship was an old WWF Winged Eagle smashed with a hammer and with a few stickers on it!

WWE-WWF-Hardcore-Championship-Belt.jpg

So the legends say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

So the legends say :pac:

It was a Winged eagle belt alright. Mr. Perfect smashed Hogan's title with a sledgehammer when they feuded. This is the belt that was used for the hardcore title.

I've no idea what they did for the hardcore title reigns, maybe just from the first time they win it. Then again they're like $2,000 belts which is not much compared to the money spent on the show.
    Omackeral wrote: »

It's a great rumour but Perfect broke a winged eagle that is two-toned (gold and silver) and was broken in different places.
    sv0l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So I know Benoit would be one, but are there any other well known wrestlers WWE personnel aren't allowed to mention and why?

I was just thinking that Bryan does a diving headbutt, a move which was usually followed by the commentators saying "Shades of the Dynamite Kid", but now they don't say that. So thought maybe they're not allowed to mention him anymore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I have a strange question, not sure if it has been asked/answered already...

Why are they called "moves"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

don't think you'll hear Owen Hart mentioned that often, although Cesaro did namedrop him on WWE Inbox, so probably not a complete ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Cianan2 wrote: »

Perhaps a shortening of maneuvers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Cianan2 wrote: »

The wrestler performs a particular movement to achieve an end result either offensively or defensively.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Iirc when the Uso's were first introduced the WWE highlighted that they were the sons of Rikishi. Did they ever explain why they were the Usos and not Fatus / Phatus? as if im not mistaken the big Kish was always billed as being Rikish Fatu (at one point they spelled it Ph I think).

or would I be right in thinking it was just cos they were not to use their real names so that WWE could copyright their ring names and make more money off it and they hoped as it was so long ago nobody would remember they dad's surname.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Most likely copyrighting and merchandising again.

Only remembered it now but during the HIAC PPV Cole said "shades of The Rock" about an elbow drop (I think) move Roman Reigns did, so they have no problem referencing the fact they are all related in some way down the family line, but they'll give them different names no bother.

Yeah Mitch is right, although they acknowledge their family ties, they've no problem giving them stage names. Uso's real names are Jonathan Fatu and Joshua Fatu, so they could've copyrighted Jimmy & Jey Fatu if they wanted. They probably thought "Uso" sounds more marketable, and ensure giving the lads bare minimum copyright royalties.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yeah Mitch is right, although they acknowledge their family ties, they've no problem giving them stage names. Uso's real names are Jonathan Fatu and Joshua Fatu, so they could've copyrighted Jimmy & Jey Fatu if they wanted. They probably thought "Uso" sounds more marketable, and ensure giving the lads bare minimum copyright royalties.

yeah thats what I thought and tbh Uso probably does sound better esp from a marketable standpoint along with Jimmy & Jay instead of Jon/Josh even though they acknowledge Jonathon on total Divas. Think I headr the sentence "The Uso's, sons of Rikish Fatu" somewhere recently (probably not WWE programming though as im sure they would be smart enough to not say 2 different 2nd names at the same time like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

Does "Uso" not mean something like "Brother" in Samoan - so they're kind of calling them Brother Jimmy and Brother Jey, in a roundabout way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Uso means brother though, so technically they wouldn't have been saying two 2nd names. I did hear "sons of Rikishi Fatu" on WWE programming recently myself.

It does! Good job guys :)

Tbh they've probably run out of ideas for the Fatu name already.

7fzJzc.jpg

^^^^

I never to this day got the joke on that t-shirt. What does Rikishi Phatu and your mother too mean?

Charisteas wrote: »
    ^^^^

I never to this day got the joke on that t-shirt. What does Rikishi Phatu and your mother too mean?

I always assumed it just rhymed and that was it. Maybe they wanted it to read like "Feck you, and your mother too."

• Advertisement

I always assumed it just rhymed and that was it. Maybe they wanted it to read like "Feck you, and your mother too."

It has to be up there with the worst WWF/E shirts of all time. I'm pretty sure on the back of the shirt it says something like "Back dat a$$ up".

Advertisement