Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Deadlie wrote: »
    Other than Austin having his neck broken by Owen, were there any other major Attitude Era injuries as a result of in ring activity?

Droz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droz_(wrestler)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Jesus. I never knew about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I suppose D-Lo accidentally paralysing Droz with a botched running powerbomb would be classed as a biggy in terms of Attitude Era injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Other than Austin having his neck broken by Owen, were there any other major Attitude Era injuries as a result of in ring activity?
    These spring to mind:

Mick Foley's daredevil marathon in the Hell in a Cell match cut his career short after years of taking crazy bumps usually off the apron. He was also out for knee surgery in 1999.

Undertaker was injured in 1999 (groin I believe) and was out for 6months+.

HHH knee and quad injuries in 1998 and 2001 respectively.

Chris Benoit neck injury in 2001.

Henry Godwin suffered a neck injury as a result of the Road Warrior's finisher on Shotgun in 1997 iirc.

Bob Holly's arm injury courtesy of Kurt Angle's moonsault.

Scott Putski dislocated a knee during a match at In Your House 17 which ended his WWF career.

Does anybody know how the pay system works on WWE for house shows and TV, extras to the downside payment. I know JR used to run this back in the day when he was VP of talent relations. Johnny Ace apparently was moved from this duty swiftly as he wasn't good with figures. :pac:

Is it a percentage on the gate or a set fee?

I think that PPV's payoffs are usually calculated differently, buyrates etc.

I

WWF wrestler's income used to derived from the gate but that was before guaranteed contracts came in. WrestleMania was the big yearly bonus payday.

Tidbit: according to Jericho's second book, he initially received a fraction of HHH's paycheque for WrestleMania X8 despite being the champ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Shawn Michaels severely injured his back when he landed on the edge of a casket after Undertaker gave him a back body drop at Royal Rumble 1998. He had to lose the title to Austin at the following Wrestlemania, and retire. He didn't wrestle again until Summerslam 2002.

If you believe in Karma, some might say that was payback for the Montreal screwjob a few weeks earlier. It was a shame though cause Michaels was at his peak at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads when did Vince first reveal he owned wwe and play a heel I know I watched it just can't remember now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Michaels and Bret made references to it at certain points but I believe that Montreal was his coming out. Open to correction on that though. Bret helped create the McMahon heel character and Vince ran with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

I think it was around 97 or so when it was first mentioned, I think Bret Hart mentioned it in a promo saying how he was fed up of his treatment in the WWF. Later on in that year is when the Mr McMahon heel character really started when he start feuding with Austin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

I remember seeing Bret grab Vince and push him over inside the old blue steel cage. What was that over? Was that anything to do with Vince turning heel.

• Advertisement

Andy_rse wrote: »
    I remember seeing Bret grab Vince and push him over inside the old blue steel cage. What was that over? Was that anything to do with Vince turning heel.

I'm thinking that as well, and then Bret start complaining about all the crap he had to put up with in the WWF and it was then Vince was first addressed as the owner of the WWF on air

I was just listening to the Attitude Era podcasts earlier in the week, and they were going on about over Austin was at the time that he could essentially batter a not-yet proper heel Vince and still be cheered - and this was around the Unforgiven '98 / Over The Edge '98 time. They said OTE was when he properly found his character and went full heel.

I wouldn't be sure of this myself, but that's what I'd heard!

I was just listening to the Attitude Era podcasts earlier in the week, and they were going on about over Austin was at the time that he could essentially batter a not-yet proper heel Vince and still be cheered - and this was around the Unforgiven '98 / Over The Edge '98 time. They said OTE was when he properly found his character and went full heel.

I wouldn't be sure of this myself, but that's what I'd heard!

The first time Austin gave McMahon the stunner was in September 97 and the placed popped and he was a face commentator at the time. Austin was over regardless, he could do no wrong.

I think and I would like somebody's opinion on this, was McMahon's heel turn the 15th of December 1997. On that Raw, Vince explained that the WWF would be taking a new creative direction i.e Attitude Era (This was a shoot vignette)

Because by January 98 he was full on heel with the Mr McMahon character

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads when did Vince first reveal he owned wwe

Vince was publicly outed as the owner of WWF on the September 23rd 1996 episode of Raw.

I think this is the correct clip, go to the 2 minute mark -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

If you haven't seen it before Vince actually played a heel in Memphis in 1993 fascinating to see in hindsight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Any YouTube links would be apriciated too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    If you haven't seen it before Vince actually played a heel in Memphis in 1993 fascinating to see in hindsight.

Great link!! Even in 93 Vince was a great heel, I was expecting him to say lawler you have no chance in hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Undertaker has tomb stoned nearly every one in the business, but i am just wondering has he Tomb stoned the Big Show, and if he has can you put a video of up it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Undertaker has tomb stoned nearly every one in the business, but i am just wondering has he Tomb stoned the Big Show, and if he has can you put a video of up it please.

I don't think he ever has Tombstoned TBS, not as far back as I can remember anyhow. Choke Slams sure - Tombstones, no.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

He's tombstoned the likes of Vader so I wouldnt be shocked if he has at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

When was the pile driver banned in WWF?

I'm watching Raw 98 ATM and pretty much every week there have been PD's, Vader even attempted the move on Kane at one point.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

When was the pile driver banned in WWF

The piledriver (and tombstone) became irregular occurrences after Triple H was "shaken up" after Taker's tombstone. I think Judgment Day 2000. It's such a shame. Stuff like Michael's piledriver on Taker (HIAC 97) is so awesome. Just don't let newbs like Titus O'Neil close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Was it not banned because of Owen Hart injuring Austin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Theres a Video on Youtube of every one the Undertaker has tomb stoned but the i didn't see the Big Show in it, hence the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Theres a Video on Youtube of every one the Undertaker has tomb stoned but the i didn't see the Big Show in it, hence the question.
    They didn't feud that often, Big Show actually has a good record against Taker, but Taker won a casket match and a single match with a Chokeslam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Anyone getting this shipped from the US?.Will there be customs charges.

Vince's heel turn was in stages I believe. He wasn't on TV much after Survivor Series 1997 and only began weekly on air appearances on Raw after Mania 14.

My recollection of his turn from babyface commentator to heel CEO is something like this:

• October 1996 - Jim Ross turns heel and outs McMahon as owner
    • Early to mid-1997 had a few tussels between McMahon and Hart. Some of DX antics were directed towards Vince including airing the Curtain Call video.
    • Survivor Series 1997 - Vince is not at the commentating table, is interviewed by Kevin Kelly backstage about the Bret v Shawn match. Kelly asks Vince who will win.
    • The infamous "Bret screwed Bret" promo where Vince plays face and buries Hart.
    • During December 1997 he played a part-time role in the Austin v Rock feud over the IC belt. Vince assumes an authority role and tries to order Austin around. Vince takes a bump off the apron after Austin surrenders the IC belt. (they of course had the prior interaction from the Sept 22 Raw)
    • The aforementioned "Attitude" promo about audience's intelligence.
    • Raw after 1998 Royal Rumble sows the seeds for Austin v McMahon when Vince interviews Tyson.
    • Raw prior to WrestleMania 14 Kevin Kelly interviews Vince about the possibility of Austin being champion. Vince prevaricates but finally utters "OH HELL NO!!" when asked if he wants Austin as champ. Crowe boos.
    • Then the Austin v McMahon saga unfolds weekly on Raw after Mania 14 (TV appearances between Survivor Series and the post Mania 14 period had been sporadic iirc).

In my opinion the heel turn was teased in December 1997 with Vince siding with heel Rock. The post Royal Rumble Raw with Tyson and the "OH HELL NO!!" interview are key moments.

Taker has never tombstoned Big Show as he's to heavy - Nash gave him a botched powerbomb in WCW when Wight wasn't as fat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

To answer a previous question:
    Christian hasn’t been around because he still isn’t cleared due to a concussion from a few months back. He’s expected to be back in early December at this point.

Wresting Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Christian needs to shake his act up on return, badly.

• Advertisement

Is Teddy Long the ref in the Mr. Ass tag match at around the 25minute match here? I'm going through all the Raw is War's for the first time (I started watching around 08) and I didn't know he reffed.

I only ask because when I googled it WWE claimed he debuted weeks later at Royal Rumble.
    LINK

Advertisement