Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Teddy was a referee for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

He was also a manager, distinctly remember him managing Doom, not sure who else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Whosthis wrote: »
    He was also a manager, distinctly remember him managing Doom, not sure who else.

Rodney Mack playa!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

he was a ref for a long time and managed loads of people in both WCW and WWF iirc

The Skyscrapers (Sid Vicious, Dan Spivey and "Mean" Mark Callous) spring to mind as did Doom, Rodney Mack and a few more but wiki has the list down being even longer than I thought.
    Wrestlers managed

Johnny B. Badd
    Rodney Mack
    Mean Mark
    One Man Gang
    Mark Henry
    Jazz
    Eddie Guerrero
    Joey Maggs
    Craig Pittman
    Chris Jericho
    Jim Powers
    Bobby Walker
    Ice Train
    Rosey
    Mark Jindrak
    Ezekiel Jackson

Teams and stables managed

Doom (Ron Simmons and Butch Reed)
    The Skyscrapers (Sid Vicious, Dan Spivey and "Mean" Mark Callous)
    Marcus Bagwell and 2 Cold Scorpio
    Thuggin' and Buggin' Enterprises (D'Lo Brown, Rodney Mack, Jazz, Christopher Nowinski, and Mark Henry)
    Team Teddy (Santino Marella, Kofi Kingston, R-Truth, Zack Ryder, The Great Khali, Booker T and Hornswoggle (mascot))

• Advertisement

Was Jericho as a proper manager, or a one time deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Where'd this "Jericho invented that" thing come from? I must've missed something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Was Jericho as a proper manager, or a one time deal?

I quoted the above wiki but I honestly have no idea / recollection of those 2 together

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Who has the second best win record w/o defeat at WM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Kolido wrote: »
    Who has the second best win record w/o defeat at WM ?

Rob Van Dam, 4-0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Hogan's WrestleMania record is: 8 wins - 2 losses - 1 draw

Sable and the Miz are both 3-0, yet Jeff Hardy is 0-5, while the Dudleys are 0-4.

How the hell does that happen?

Two things I just noticed too. Triple H has wrestled 17 times at Wrestlemania, but also has the most Wrestlemania loses ever. He's lost 9 times. So, when he beats Daniel Bryan and CM Punk in a handicap match at Wrestlemania 30, he'll be exactly 9-9 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well Miz is lucky he got bumped to the pre show at mania 25 because himself and John Morrison lost to The Colons in the tag team unification bout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Sable and the Miz are both 3-0, yet Jeff Hardy is 0-5, while the Dudleys are 0-4.

How the hell does that happen?

Sable is understandable, she was the #1 diva for a few years. Miz is just a fluke, hope he loses next year.

Don't know how Jeff Hardy ends up 0-5. Suppose WWE saw that Edge was the breakout star from the tag-teams of the early 2000's and thus had Edge and Christian beat the Hardys and Dudleys in their Mania matches. Only one of Jeff's losses was one-on-one, don't remember if he was actually pinned in the other 4 matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Thanks for the replies, another question regarding WM, it may have been discussed before I can't remember,

Why did they have some WMs in Arenas and some in Stadiums 3-4 times the capacity? I can understand MSG but what about the other years they held it in Arenas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They had WM 20 at the Garden for historical reasons as you said.

21 and 22 were in arenas but after that it was all stadiums. You can only get 20,000 into an arena whereas a stadium gives you 70,000+ on the live gate.

Dunno why they did arena shows for 21 and 22 after having massive places like the Astrodome for 17, the Sky Dome for 18 and Safeco Field for 19 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Where'd this "Jericho invented that" thing come from? I must've missed something.

In the run-up to Jericho's 2012 return, he ran a Twitter gimmick lambasting a lot of modern talent such as Miz and Mason Ryan for stealing bits of his act to get over. It'd translated to television for the grand total of 2 minutes for the run-up to Elimination Chamber 2012, before seguing into the Punk/Jericho stuff that barely registers on the historical Richter scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Omackeral wrote: »
    They had WM 20 at the Garden for historical reasons as you said.

21 and 22 were in arenas but after that it was all stadiums. You can only get 20,000 into an arena whereas a stadium gives you 70,000+ on the live gate.

Dunno why they did arena shows for 21 and 22 after having massive places like the Astrodome for 17, the Sky Dome for 18 and Safeco Field for 19 though.

I'd be a traditionalist, I would have had 29 in the Superdome and 30 where it belongs in the most famous arena since the Colosseum in Rome, MSG.

Even with only 20,000 tickets available they should have payed tribute to their history, it would have made it all the more special. It's just greed at this stage, they're the only significant wrestling company in the country, it's not as if they're in danger of going out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

I'd be a traditionalist, I would have had 29 in the Superdome and 30 where it belongs in the most famous arena since the Colosseum in Rome, MSG.

Even with only 20,000 tickets available they should have payed tribute to their history, it would have made it all the more special. It's just greed at this stage, they're the only significant wrestling company in the country, it's not as if they're in danger of going out of business.

No it's not, it's called supply and demand. Why is it greed by having it in a stadium? Also is it there fault that there isn't any competition. Every other promotion ran themselves into the ground and some where only too happy to sell to the WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Omackeral wrote: »

they wanted to run mania in the 3 biggest cities in america ie new york, la and chicago one after another. they wanted to run the biggest cities after blaming the size and location of seattle for mania 19s below average buyrate. because none of those cities had enclosed stadiums like the ones you mentioned they ran the smaller venues. they thought running an outdoor stadium show was too risky because of the weather...they were seriously worried about the show in orlando right up till the last minute

they would be proved right because the night of mania 22 in chicago it rained heavily for hours during and after the show.

i think you are seriously over-rating msg

i was at mania 20 and honestly the arena didn't make that show feel more special than the later manias i attended. when i first attended a wrestling show there in 2002 it was an aging building located on top of a trainstation with horrible sightlines and even worse security.

at the end of the day wwe are a business with sponsors, shareholders etc to answer to. its in wwes best interest and the interest of their 700 employees to make the most money possible. the performers at mania get a piece of the gate receipts and i am sure they would be happier getting a piece of a $12m gate at a 75,000 seat stadium rather than a $3m one at 18,000 seat msg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Is the TNA ring 'springier' than WWE? I never really notice too much bounce on the WWE ring, but the TNA almost seems like a trampoline.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How are dark entrances done? Are the guys under the ring then get quickly in and let someone know when to turn on the lights? How do they get under the ring since I doubt they're there from the beginning. Like guys like taker aren't exactly known for their speed getting to the ring (unless their coat catches fire). And it's usually done within seconds with no sound and sometimes switching with someone in the ring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

CastorTroy wrote: »
    How are dark entrances done? Are the guys under the ring then get quickly in and let someone know when to turn on the lights? How do they get under the ring since I doubt they're there from the beginning. Like guys like taker aren't exactly known for their speed getting to the ring (unless their coat catches fire). And it's usually done within seconds with no sound and sometimes switching with someone in the ring.

There's two ways I've heard it being done, but both are done usually during breaks before the match, typically when they lower the lights in the arena to show promo videos or the likes.

The wrestler might dress as a member of the ring crew, walk down the ramp and then hide under the ring. I've also heard of the ring crew walking down with sheets held up, shielding the person from view.

Once his moment arrives, he just slips from under the ring, slides in and assumes the position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

There's two ways I've heard it being done, but both are done usually during breaks before the match, typically when they lower the lights in the arena to show promo videos or the likes.

The wrestler might dress as a member of the ring crew, walk down the ramp and then hide under the ring. I've also heard of the ring crew walking down with sheets held up, shielding the person from view.

Once his moment arrives, he just slips from under the ring, slides in and assumes the position.
    Ya the first way is how I've heard it too and the second is the bigger arenas have a trap door for concerts and the the like so the musicians can appear in the centre of the stage without walking threw the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Is the TNA ring 'springier' than WWE? I never really notice too much bounce on the WWE ring, but the TNA almost seems like a trampoline.

I wouldn't know whether there is more spring in TNA's ring, but it has been commented by many that it was a shock how hard the WWE's ring is compared to the ones they've encountered in the indies.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I've heard these techniques before with another being the crew coming down with a box on wheels and the person would be inside. But then how do they move so quick to get into the ring and it must be awkward whenever you have guys like the Wyatt family doing it.
    I suppose also I should ask has anyone messed it up, by either being caught slipping into or out of the ring when the lights came up early or something similar happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

LOTD wrote: »
    No it's not, it's called supply and demand. Why is it greed by having it in a stadium? Also is it there fault that there isn't any competition. Every other promotion ran themselves into the ground and some where only too happy to sell to the WWE.

I understand the concept of supply and demand yes, I just believe that if you want to build prestige and history in the brand you adhere to certain traditions set by the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard these techniques before with another being the crew coming down with a box on wheels and the person would be inside. But then how do they move so quick to get into the ring and it must be awkward whenever you have guys like the Wyatt family doing it.
    I suppose also I should ask has anyone messed it up, by either being caught slipping into or out of the ring when the lights came up early or something similar happening?

I think they wear ear pieces like the ones the referees wear,and they are told by the gorilla when to come out.Remember hearing a story of someone falling asleep under the ring a few years back and missed their cue.Possibly Khali.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

I remember Rey talking about his match with Angle at Summerslam 2002, he came out when the lights went down at the start of the show in a boiler suit, got under the ring took the suit off and threw it to the other side of the ring and remembered his mask was in the pocket so had to scramble about underneath the ring to find the suit. He was late for his cue to come out obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

does Court Bauer really have all these contacts in wwe? He wants to come across as the foremost authority on all things wrestling but there's an awful smell of spooferism off him. Maybe im wrong and someone can enlighten me as to whether this fella is legit or robbing a living.

Advertisement