Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Christian has had a number of re-occurring concussions this year. WWE is very cautious about head injuries as a class action lawsuit may happen one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

WWE like to use veterans to help get newer wrestlers get over. For example, Jericho losing to Fandango at Wrestlemania was done to make Fandango look really strong. Equally, pairing Rey Mysterio with Sin Cara was done to encourage fans to get behind Sin Cara.

Rob Van Dam has gone on records before saying that he prefers short runs as it allows him to better recover minor injuries while also helps him avoid suffering injuries. Also, the likes of the WWE tour almost non-stop with numerous house shows on top of their TV and PPV schedule, which is very draining and the vets that have made their money like to take more time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is there anything that can be done to stop te What?!? chants? They're awful and have ruined promos for over a decade. I know Taker, in his American Bad Ass stage, was getting it once and snapped back saying "Say 'What' if you slept with your sister". Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Omackeral wrote: »
    Is there anything that can be done to stop te What?!? chants?

If WWE edit it out of their TV broadcasts, it will eventually die off. They've done it before with both chants and crowd signs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Is there anything that can be done to stop te What?!? chants? They're awful and have ruined promos for over a decade. I know Taker, in his American Bad Ass stage, was getting it once and snapped back saying "Say 'What' if you slept with your sister". Amazing.

Agreed it's ruining great promos/moments for the last decade. It's like fans are obtusely chanting it for the own pleasure and not giving a crap what's going on, yet have the gall to say wrestling isn't good anymore. They don't give anything a chance anymore and it's worse now. They are chanting all kinds of crap like the announcing teams name to Randy Savage's name, it's gotten to beyond the point of dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Can't edit them out of live Raw or PPV's.Some of the better promo guys can time their cadence/rhythm of speech to put the fans off from doing it though.

Austin's take on it:
    Everybody always says 'What?!' ruins everybody else's promos. It does not! If you leave that gap in between your sentences, your words, your phrasing... don't interrupt your cadence and give them that end for the 'What?!' If you just keep talking, just like I'm doing, I don't give you a chance to say it."

Can't edit them out of live Raw or PPV's.Some of the better promo guys can time their cadence/rhythm of speech to put the fans off from doing it though.

Austin's take on it:

But different guys are going to have different cadence/rhythm to convey different points and emotions, you not going to have a cool calm guy going really fast. Punctuating is also important, it's let certain words and important elements of the promo to have a bigger effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Is there anything that can be done to stop te What?!? chants?

Altering your emphasis/rhythm is the best way. Fans will chant/try mess you up if you allow them. Unfortunately promos are scripted and delivered in "monotone, one-line-at-a-time, pause" soundbyte format, which is ripe for "What" Chants. Robert Roode and Borton are horrible for it. If promos were written differently or in bullet-points-only, or wrestlers talked like normal human beings, it'd stamp out the chants (like CM Punk)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

LOTD wrote: »
    . They are chanting all kinds of crap like the announcing teams name to Randy Savage's name, it's gotten to beyond the point of dumb.

A few Benoit chants could be controversial! Who remembers the 'Asshole' chants Vince and Shane used to get in 98/99. The noise of them was insane.

A few Benoit chants could be controversial! Who remembers the 'Asshole' chants Vince and Shane used to get in 98/99. The noise of them was insane.

I don't think that will happen ever considering the events which occurred.

Those chants aimed at Vince and Shane were great, cause it suited the storyline, plus it was the height of the attitude era it made sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

The ''she's a crackwhore'' chants directed towards Lita at One Night Stand were probably the worst to air on WWE TV.Hillarious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Is there anything that can be done to stop te What?!? chants? They're awful and have ruined promos for over a decade.

cut great promos..you didn't hear any what chants during ajs promo a few months back or cenas promo on orton in seattle a few weeks ago or punks pipebomb

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So you guys think....that the problem....is with the promos?....Really....I think.....that what we need.......is better teaching....of promo methods....

rossie1977 wrote: »
    cut great promos..you didn't hear any what chants during ajs promo a few months back or cenas promo on orton in seattle a few weeks ago or punks pipebomb

Not everyone is going to cut promos like that, they were great promos. I think when fans are chanting crap or nonsense it ruins it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Weren't WWE supposed to be getting rid of the word for word scripted promos ? I remember reading an article a while ago saying it was an idea of Hunter's because you get better promos when they're not scripted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Weren't WWE supposed to be getting rid of the word for word scripted promos ? I remember reading an article a while ago saying it was an idea of Hunter's because you get better promos when they're not scripted

Not sure that's a good idea. Of course it would work for a few guys, but how many guys would just freeze or start stumbling over their words if that was true.

Charisteas wrote: »
    Not sure that's a good idea. Of course it would work for a few guys, but how many guys would just freeze or start stumbling over their words if that was true.

The idea was to have bullet points rather than try to learn a script verbatim because a lot of the guys were struggling with that. I don't know what the story is with it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watching Rollins kicking out of cena pins on smackdown got me wondering, has any lower card talent kicked out of a main eventer's finisher or is that just something saved for main events at PPVs?

Where is this Mondays Raw being held?

Would love for them to do one of these old school Raws in Chicago, New York etc were the old stars will actually get reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

It's in Baltimore this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Why not get The Old School Legs of WCW, Stacy Keibler on the show in front of her home town and have a ballroom dance off against Summer Rae :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Im watching Raw through 1999 and the Owen Hart tribute show came up and it reminded me of the Chris Benoit tribute show and Im sure this has been asked before but had a quick google and didn't see anything I would trust. But did William Regal know that Benoit had done something terrible? I seem to remember at the time that he said something very strange (No sound on this laptop so can't check) but it was something very withdrawn I think. I vaguly remember that people though the whole family was murdered at the time but did he and perhaps all the WWE locker know the truth?

Sorry to bring tone down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Was it Hbk or Edge that told a story about Benoit correcting his son or something to that effect backstage?
    Remember something bone chilling like that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Regal's video:

At a later date I'll be quite happy to sit here and tell you all the things about Chris Benoit that I'd like to tell you... But... now all I am willing to say... is that Chris Benoit was undoubtedly the hardest working man in professional wrestling. The most dedicated... and totally absorbed in the business of professional wrestling... above anybody that I've ever met. And that's... all I've really got to say at the moment. He was the absolute best. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Watched the Royal Rumble 2011 PPV again tonight. How come 2011 was the only year in which there was 40 men in the rumble? Did they just think it did not work, hence why they have reverted back to 30 men?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Watched the Royal Rumble 2011 PPV again tonight. How come 2011 was the only year in which there was 40 men in the rumble? Did they just think it did not work, hence why they have reverted back to 30 men?

Just so they could market it as the "biggest" royal rumble match ever. The change wasn't that warmly received and dropped it and I'd wager most had completely forgotten about it until u mentioned it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Cheers for the response Jaykhunter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Just so they could market it as the "biggest" royal rumble match ever. The change wasn't that warmly received and dropped it and I'd wager most had completely forgotten about it until u mentioned it!

That was the one Lawler, Cole and Booker entered wasn't it?
    Always laugh at the other two in shock at Booker entering as he stood there unbuttoning his shirt with his ring gear on. Are we to assume he always did his commentary in his jocks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

GTR63 wrote: »
    That was the one Lawler, Cole and Booker entered wasn't it?
    Always laugh at the other two in shock at Booker entering as he stood there unbuttoning his shirt with his ring gear on. Are we to assume he always did his commentary in his jocks

No that was 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

bigron2109 wrote: »

The match was far too packed, the addition of 10 Superstars didn't add to the match and the normal 'exciting' part of the Rumble #'s 22-30 became the coasting point for the match which relaxed a lot of fans viewing it and then they found it hard to get their energy back up for the final few. Timewise it wasn't as long as expected but to try and get excited by 40 guys entering that short amount of time just didn't work.

Advertisement