Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Watched the Royal Rumble 2011 PPV again tonight. How come 2011 was the only year in which there was 40 men in the rumble? Did they just think it did not work, hence why they have reverted back to 30 men?

The match was far too packed, the addition of 10 Superstars didn't add to the match and the normal 'exciting' part of the Rumble #'s 22-30 became the coasting point for the match which relaxed a lot of fans viewing it and then they found it hard to get their energy back up for the final few. Timewise it wasn't as long as expected but to try and get excited by 40 guys entering that short amount of time just didn't work.

Watched the Royal Rumble 2011 PPV again tonight. How come 2011 was the only year in which there was 40 men in the rumble? Did they just think it did not work, hence why they have reverted back to 30 men?

The match was far too packed, the addition of 10 Superstars didn't add to the match and the normal 'exciting' part of the Rumble #'s 22-30 became the coasting point for the match which relaxed a lot of fans viewing it and then they found it hard to get their energy back up for the final few. Timewise it wasn't as long as expected but to try and get excited by 40 guys entering that short amount of time just didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

You can say that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

You can say that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Wasnt the 40 man the Nexus and Corre one? They wouldnt have been able to stick them all in with only 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Wasnt the 40 man the Nexus and Corre one? They wouldnt have been able to stick them all in with only 30.

100% right. This was the year where the nexus and the corre had a short face off. The crowd went mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

How did the Worm get the spelling bit and crowd participations?
    Was there a promo for this, or was it just an organic thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Deadlie wrote: »
    How did the Worm get the spelling bit and crowd participations?
    Was there a promo for this, or was it just an organic thing?

I recall it being an organic thing, when Scotty would jump around, crowd would spell it out

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I recall it being an organic thing, when Scotty would jump around, crowd would spell it out

I think it was spelt out on commentary first and it caught on to the live crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think it was spelt out on commentary first and it caught on to the live crowds.

Yep, King started it off.

After seeing the New Age Outlaws last night I was wondering, did they have an actual double team finishing move?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

I don't think so. Billy Gunn had his fame-asser and Road Dogg used the pumphandle slam. Can't remember a double team move from them.

Edit: Wikipedia suggests that they used to use both a double-flapjack and a spike piledriver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

beakerjoe wrote: »
    After seeing the New Age Outlaws last night I was wondering, did they have an actual double team finishing move?

Didn`t do it a lot but a spike piledriver where Road Dogg drove the recievers legs into the ground.

tumblr_m97xumaxqD1qkbmd7o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Billy's hair is lovely in that picture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

How exactley is The Rocks family related to the Anoa'i wrestling family?

I know his Grandad the High Chief is "Blood brothers" with Afa & Sika's parents but does that actually mean they are related or just best mates type blood brothers?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

The Rock's father Rocky Johnson is married to the daughter of High Chief Peter Maivia who is a member of the Anoa'i family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

All Samoans regard each other as cousins essentially. There's no defined linear blood line operating here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

rovert wrote: »
    All Samoans regard each other as cousins essentially. There's no defined linear blood line operating here.

Thats kinda what im thinking cos yeah I knew as Ger said it was through The High Chief and according to Beakers wiki page the high chief is blood brothers with Afa & Sika's parents but I was wondering was that blood brothers actual blood relation or the other type of blood brothers where it is someone so close they are considerd your brother.

• Advertisement

It was like when I used to go around to my uncle pats with my dad, he was just my dads mate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

In wwe, who was the first guy to be put through the announcers table?

Was it Bret at SuSe 95 ?

Id say it was. Its the first one i can recall. I remember Earthquake being slammed onto a table by Hogan but the table didnt break at 1990 summerslam. Not sure if it was an announce table though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Moving slightly away from the WWE on this one, was Ric Flair the first person to be put through a table by Terry Funk, or is that just Flair and Funk hyping up the historical importance of the matches they had. I know Flair said it was the precursor to hardcore matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Flair wrestled 8 nights a week. He'd never exaggerate anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

LOTD wrote: »
    Moving slightly away from the WWE on this one, was Ric Flair the first person to be put through a table by Terry Funk, or is that just Flair and Funk hyping up the historical importance of the matches they had. I know Flair said it was the precursor to hardcore matches.

Well the table didn't actually break! The pile driver was pretty crap too by todays standards. But the angle was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Well the table didn't actually break! The pile driver was pretty crap too by todays standards. But the angle was great

Never saw the match just heard Flair's account :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

LOTD wrote: »

The first table bump was taken by Harley Race in a match against Hogan in 1988 on SNME. Race put Hogan on a table and climbed to the apron to do a splash onto Hogan but he moved and Harley hit the table breaking it (not completely but it was a solid table bound with a type of steel around the edges). Race suffered a very bad injury which forced him into retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Video gone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Fixed video link, it's about 5min 40seconds in.

The story behind Bret Hart's table bump at Survivor Series is that he saw Sabu putting himself through tables. ECW had appeared on WWF's radar in 1995 after their fans made themselves known during the King of the Ring stinker PPV.

Advertisement