Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Fixed video link, it's about 5min 40seconds in.

The story behind Bret Hart's table bump at Survivor Series is that he saw Sabu putting himself through tables. ECW had appeared on WWF's radar in 1995 after their fans made themselves known during the King of the Ring stinker PPV.
    What happened at king of the ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What happened at king of the ring?

During the Mabel v Savio Vega match for the crown that fans let their dissatisfaction of the match be shown by clearly and loudly chanting "ECW"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sirsok wrote: »
    During the Mabel v Savio Vega match for the crown that fans let their dissatisfaction of the match be shown by clearly and loudly chanting "ECW"

Oh really? I remember staying up late watchin this one but I was only 11 so had no idea who or what ecw was at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Oh really? I remember staying up late watchin this one but I was only 11 so had no idea who or what ecw was at the time
    Yeah same thing happened at In Your House 5. Then at In Your House 10 when they were in Pennsylvania again, WWF and ECW put together a little worked invasion where Sandman spits beer at Savio and Bradshaw during their match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Yeah same thing happened at In Your House 5. Then at In Your House 10 when they were in Pennsylvania again, WWF and ECW put together a little worked invasion where Sandman spits beer at Savio and Bradshaw during their match.

Do I recall correctly or am I imagining things when I say that no one was really told that that was going to happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Do I recall correctly or am I imagining things when I say that no one was really told that that was going to happen?

No idea but it was possible. Maybe the Sandman did it on his own accord??? He was an unpredictable man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

1995 has to be one of the worst years in wrestling

LOTD wrote: »

I haver some fond memories.... Shawn v Razor II, Bret v Diesel SS, Shawn Winning The Rumble.

King Mabel however....

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I haver some fond memories.... Shawn v Razor II, Bret v Diesel SS, Shawn Winning The Rumble.

King Mabel however....

I should have added that Michaels, Hart, Ramon and Taker from a WWE perspective where the people keeping that ship a float.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

In America yeah. Except for ECW.

Things were HAWT in Japan though.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    In America yeah. Except for ECW.

Things were HAWT in Japan though.

ECW was brilliant. WWE was terrible bar the guys I mentioned I also want to add Bam Bam in that group. WCW was a retirement home on a spinning stage.

What was going on in Japan at that time, I know Guerrero, Jericho and Benoit would have been out there during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I should have added that Michaels, Hart, Ramon and Taker from a WWE perspective where the people keeping that ship a float.

How relevant was Taker in 1995? Still one of the best gimmicks, but I seem to remember he was only ever on the mid-card and wrestling a lot of duds.
    ECW had appeared on WWF's radar in 1995 after their fans made themselves known during the King of the Ring stinker PPV.

That was a hilarious, the fans start chanting "ECW", and Vince is like "Listen to these fans!!" obviously he didn't understand what they were chanting.

Charisteas wrote: »
    How relevant was Taker in 1995? Still one of the best gimmicks, but I seem to remember he was only ever on the mid-card and wrestling a lot of duds.

It wasn't a vintage year alright, but not many can say that about the WWF that year. Your right he was put in crap feuds that year, but he did well under the circumstances. I guess I was just talking from a 2014 vantage point, that he came out of a crap year unscathed and being such a mainstay for the company regardless of where he was on the card.

I quite liked 1995 WWF actually, a lot of it was pretty cheesy but light hearted fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Omackeral wrote: »
    Is there anything that can be done to stop te What?!? chants? They're awful and have ruined promos for over a decade. I know Taker, in his American Bad Ass stage, was getting it once and snapped back saying "Say 'What' if you slept with your sister". Amazing.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well done! Literally posted that last year! Also, say 'what' if you slept with your sister... You trying to tell is something :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

What was the original plan and overall story with Nathan Jones? Been watching a bunch of 2002-2004 Smackdown and he debuted in February, was supposed to team with the Undertaker at mania, then got "attacked" and afterwards he disappeared until re-debuting as a heel in October/November and disappeared within 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

What was the original plan and overall story with Nathan Jones? Been watching a bunch of 2002-2004 Smackdown and he debuted in February, was supposed to team with the Undertaker at mania, then got "attacked" and afterwards he disappeared until re-debuting as a heel in October/November and disappeared within 5 weeks.
    IIRC it was that his in-ring skills weren't up to scratch at the time. They didn't want a match with Taker in it being ruined by a crappy tag-team partner, so they had Undertaker go it alone and gave Jones his WM moment by running in and helping Taker win. He was then attacked on the following Smackdown and had his ankle broken kayfabe so he could be sent back to OCW to improve his skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    IIRC it was that his in-ring skills weren't up to scratch at the time. They didn't want a match with Taker in it being ruined by a crappy tag-team partner, so they had Undertaker go it alone and gave Jones his WM moment by running in and helping Taker win. He was then attacked on the following Smackdown and had his ankle broken kayfabe so he could be sent back to OCW to improve his skills.

The Smackdown episode I was watching were the unedited live feeds, and I had to laugh when they made him re-do his jumping spinning kick against A-train when he fell on his ass doing it the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Why in the early royal Rumbles, was the champion in the Rumble. Like in 1990 Hulk Hogan won the Rumble but he was champion, so what was the point in him earning it?

Also Back in 1989 it used to be 90 seconds, every time a new wrestler came in, and then in 1990 it went to 2 minutes. How come this happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Why in the early royal Rumbles, was the champion in the Rumble. Like in 1990 Hulk Hogan won the Rumble but he was champion, so what was the point in him earning it?

Also Back in 1989 it used to be 90 seconds, every time a new wrestler came in, and then in 1990 it went to 2 minutes. How come this happened?

For the first question, it wasn't until 1993 Rumble that the winner got a title shot at Mania or a title shot at all, it was strictly for bragging rights at least that is how I understood it.

As for the second question I don't really know, probably just to test it out, as perhaps they felt having a 90 second gap rushed the match a bit too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Why in the early royal Rumbles, was the champion in the Rumble?

It was just a special attraction match, nothing was on the line (just the prestige of winning it) so it was open to everyone. They wanted the champion on the card to max buys.

Longer time in-between to lengthen the overall match. I believe the time depends on how many matches they have planned for the undercard (or the Rumble story, like Rey doing 63 minutes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Cheers lads, didn't realise it was not until 93 did the winner of the rumble get a title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: How come CM Punk has a 'real world' song for his entrance theme?

I think (discounting Daniel Bryan) he's the only one who currently has this arrangement? Surely Vince or whoever would have preferred Punk to have a WWE composed entrance with a view to maximizing revenue etc?

Id say Punk asked for it and they gave it to hot as at the time he was HOT.

Id say the rights were pretty cheap too unlike Hogans Voodoo Child

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

I suppose he had them bent over a barrel when he was renewing his contract plus he's really into music so no doubt pushed hard for it.

Would love to see Bryan with the Final Countdown again someday!

Ah his theme no suits him, works well with the YES! chants. Wouldnt be changing that anytime soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

He is friendly with the band too.

Didn't a band who Punk is also friends with record a new song for him, think it was Rancid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Did Punk use that as his theme while with ROH? That was my understanding of it, so when he came back after beating Cena at MITB, he'd come across as indie again

Advertisement