Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Omackeral wrote: »
    Well done! Literally posted that last year! Also, say 'what' if you slept with your sister... You trying to tell is something :p

Pardon?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't know what made me think of it, but Cena made his debut at the Kurt Angle Invitational so was wondering did anyone else make their debut during that and go on to be successful? Wasn't that Randy's debut as well? Looking online the only other challenger I see mentioned is Roderick Strong

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Don't know what made me think of it, but Cena made his debut at the Kurt Angle Invitational so was wondering did anyone else make their debut during that and go on to be successful? Wasn't that Randy's debut as well? Looking online the only other challenger I see mentioned is Roderick Strong

Matt Striker also. He had two goes. Once in Philly (or maybe Pittsburg) as Matt Martel and then again as himself in New York , I think, when Angle outted him as a disgraced former teacher. Good match the second one was actually, Striker taps out with 0:01 left on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Does Dave Lagana actually know much about wrestling? I never listened to the I Want Wrestling stuff but to those that did, did it ever seem like he knew what he was talking about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Does Dave Lagana actually know much about wrestling? I never listened to the I Want Wrestling stuff but to those that did, did it ever seem like he knew what he was talking about?

He has read the Observer for donkeys years and he spoke like a typical "push da workrates" IWC person on his I Want Wrestling.

I think I he just displays the difference between theory and practice. Also he has to over write segments/shows so to keep himself indispensable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

Dean Ambrose has had the US title since seemingly the beginning of time at this stage but he never seems to defend it - does anyone know of other situations where people have had long title reigns but haven't actually defended it all that much, or is this a unique situation because he's effectively far and above the prestige of the belt and there's nobody for him to really lose it to, and of course all of his shield/6 man tag duties

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

JrdanB wrote: »
    Dean Ambrose has had the US title since seemingly the beginning of time at this stage but he never seems to defend it - does anyone know of other situations where people have had long title reigns but haven't actually defended it all that much, or is this a unique situation because he's effectively far and above the prestige of the belt and there's nobody for him to really lose it to, and of course all of his shield/6 man tag duties

Cody Rhodes had the IC belt for fecking ages without defending it a couple of years ago.

I wonder who has the best and worst days:defense ratio in a single title reign, not counting house shows of course. But say for example Dean Ambrose has had the title for 150 days or whatever and has defended it 3 times, so he'd be 50:1 Whereas during the 24/7 rule, Crash Holly would have been the hardcore champion for 14 days and defended it 7 times - he'd be 2:1 (totally hypothetical stats there by the way)

Anyone have that kind of knowledge/time to draw up a list?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

I wonder who has the best and worst days:defense ratio in a single title reign, not counting house shows of course. But say for example Dean Ambrose has had the title for 150 days or whatever and has defended it 3 times, so he'd be 50:1 Whereas during the 24/7 rule, Crash Holly would have been the hardcore champion for 14 days and defended it 7 times - he'd be 2:1 (totally hypothetical stats there by the way)

Sorry, I don't know the answer. I just wanted to mention that cagematch.net great site for wrestling results that I find myself frequently checking. http://www.cagematch.net/?id=5&nr=62&page=5&reign=42

One function it has is you can pick a belt, then pick the champions particular run and filter out the house-shows to get a clear summary of their defenses.

So in that link above I picked Ambrose's current US Champ run.

Like I say, it doesn't give a "W-L" but you can probably get something from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Hornswaggle was the Cruiserweught champ for like 6 months and only defended it once I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Isn't Alundra Blayze(Medusa) technically to this day WWf Women's Champion as she took the belt physically with her to WCW unbeaten?

Well using the site suggested by Hematocyte, Dean ambrose has been champion for 245 days, and not including his initial win to Kofi where he won the belt, he has defended the title 11 times but lost 7 of those by DQ/countout. One of those losses was a DQ to Adrian Neville on NXT. One of his actual wins was a countout win too.

So on top of that fairly abysmal win/loss record his ratio is a presumably very poor 22:1

If you only count his actual wins in title matches, it drops down to 61:1

Those are rounded to the nearest whole number. The next closest reign in recent memory was Antonio Cesaro who held it for 239 days, defended it and won 13 times with only one of those wins coming from a DQ. his ratio is 18:1

Hornswoggle was cruiserweight champion for 65 days officially, defended it twice to Jamie Noble, won both times by countout - his last defense was just 27 seconds long.

His ratio is 32:1

On another note, according to this (if my quick scroll down is correct) http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers-with-highest-wwwf-wwf-wwe-win-percentages.html

Hornswoggle also has the best win/loss record of ALL the active roster in WWE. (With at least 25 matches)

Having said that, he's not really active.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Gillberg held the Light Heavy Weight Title for 15 months, In parody to the WCW Golberg character the plan was for him to consecutively lose 173 matches, this never came to fruition but he did job a lot of matches. I presume he never had a title defense in this time because he held onto the belt until 2000 when Essa Rios took it off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

Palo Alto wrote: »
    I suppose he had them bent over a barrel when he was renewing his contract plus he's really into music so no doubt pushed hard for it.

Would love to see Bryan with the Final Countdown again someday!

I want to see a full Orchestra doing Flight of the Valkyries for Bryan at Wrestlemania, with the extended intro and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

What was the deal with DDP driving the car for rhythm and blues at WM VI? Was DDP a development talent then if there was such a thing? Did he do any other stuff for WWE during the 90s?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

He used to be a car dealer in luxury cars WWE used his firm to hire from.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Isn't Alundra Blayze(Medusa) technically to this day WWf Women's Champion as she took the belt physically with her to WCW unbeaten?

No, she would have been technically stripped of the title regardless of whether or not she had possession of the physical belt.

Let's face it, in the world of sports entertainment, rules can be changed to suit situations as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

Within the rules, when she failed to show for the next WWF Women's Title Match, she would've been stripped. In reality, she was stripped of it when she switched promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

I want to see a full Orchestra doing Flight of the Valkyries for Bryan at Wrestlemania, with the extended intro and all.

This needs to be tweeted to Vince and Trips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Andy_rse wrote: »
    This needs to be tweeted to Vince and Trips!

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Would anyone know much about the guy behind the Botchamania videos? Who is he etc, and would any of the pro wrestlers watch the vids or even know about them? I've been watching a load lately and cringe and laugh in equal measure. That "fackkinnn buuuullshiiitt" at the end cracks me up every time! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Would anyone know much about the guy behind the Botchamania videos?

Maffew's from Newcastle, England. Botchamania'd be the most popular unofficial wrestling video series in the world, ya guys like Curt Hawkins mentioned that all the lads in the locker-room watch them and has been name-dropped by Mick Foley, and Dolph Ziggler's short-lived internet WWE show. (There's tons more but they're the ones that come to mind).

LAWradio did an interview with him in Sept 2011 if you wanna listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Ambrose's title reign is a perfect reason to vote against bringing back the Cruiserweight title like so many people around the net seem to want. They can't book the titles they already have, why introduce more?

Likewise with the past few Intercontinental title reigns. They make defences, but they don't mean anything because they are just thrown together for no reason. The Tag titles are going the same way as well now. Cody and Goldy just face random teams every couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Ambrose's title reign is a perfect reason to vote against bringing back the Cruiserweight title like so many people around the net seem to want. They can't book the titles they already have, why introduce more?

Likewise with the past few Intercontinental title reigns. They make defences, but they don't mean anything because they are just thrown together for no reason. The Tag titles are going the same way as well now. Cody and Goldy just face random teams every couple of weeks.

If they combined the us and intercontinental title they could bring back a cruiser weight belt...the amount of talent they have that could compete, Evan Bourne, Sin Cara, Justin Gabriel, PAC, generico, samurai del sol....it is pretty nuts what kind of division they could have

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Sirsok wrote: »
    If they combined the us and intercontinental title they could bring back a cruiser weight belt...the amount of talent they have that could compete, Evan Bourne, Sin Cara, Justin Gabriel, PAC, generico, samurai del sol....it is pretty nuts what kind of division they could have

Why bother changing belts? Just put them into the US title picture and make it a third tier belt with the IC being made the standalone second tier. With how short the attention span is of the WWE it wouldn't be long before Hornswoggle was the CW Champion again.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

The US title is used for both potential main eventers and midcarders without a direction. A Cruiserweight title would be exclusively for the people whose strength is their wrestling - and they wouldn't be expected to hang with the future stars. Essentially if they're going after the US (or indeed the IC) belt then booking will be really inconsistent - they'll be title material one day but jobbing to the upper carders the next. If they're going after the Cruiserweight title then they're competing in their own division

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Was the 2005 Royal Rumble ending planned? The whole double elimination thing, that is - not Vince injuring himself

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've read varying reports on it supporting arguments for work and botch. They both ended up going to Mania and winning their respective World Titles anyway. Also, Cena was US Champ at the time of that Rumble, kinda a forgotten fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Omackeral wrote: »
    I've read varying reports on it supporting arguments for work and botch. They both ended up going to Mania and winning their respective World Titles anyway. Also, Cena was US Champ at the time of that Rumble, kinda a forgotten fact.

I was just re-watching it earlier, the timing was unbelievable on the fall. But the thing that made me think it was a botch was how quickly the thing ended after it. Take it it's one of those things we'll not know properly until someone directly involved opens up about it!

Advertisement