Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I get that part, but why music? is there a reference im missing?

He was in the Rockers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Here's a picture of him at this years Tribute to the Troops

How they can focus on the screens whilst the Bella's are that close with so little on is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Omackeral wrote: »
    [Justin Roberts Voice] JOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHNNNNN CEEEEEENNNNNAAAAAAA!!!!! [/Justin Roberts Voice]

If its Justin Roberts voice then surely it should be

Chaaaaaaaaaaan CEEEEEENNNNNAAAAAAA??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Well I know this much chin music is American slang for idle talk sort of like flapping your gums

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

I always assumed it was the slap sound you heard when he kicked them in the face was like music, of the chin. And it was sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Why did Essa Rios never get pushed beyond Heat? Guy seemed to have oodles of talent. Drugs? Inability to speak English?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Clemantis

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Why did Essa Rios never get pushed beyond Heat? Guy seemed to have oodles of talent. Drugs? Inability to speak English?

I'd say his size had a lot to do with it. His match with Kurt Angle was probably the best Heat match ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

He did have a feud with Eddie G, was more to elevate Lita and Eddie in the end though.

He was very talented

Palo Alto wrote: »

Dude had a championship match on Wrestlemania!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Is there anything online whereby I could get a list of the active WWF/WWE roster at any given date? Say for example I enter "23/5/2002" and it tells me who was active at around that time.

Doesn't even have to be precise. Even a monthly or annual list would be fine. Or even a chart like this would do....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rolling_Stones#Band_members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Is there anything online whereby I could get a list of the active WWF/WWE roster at any given date? Say for example I enter "23/5/2002" and it tells me who was active at around that time.

Doesn't even have to be precise. Even a monthly or annual list would be fine. Or even a chart like this would do....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rolling_Stones#Band_members

Go to the Wiki page for the current roster, click edit and then history. It'll take a while but you can go back quite a bit. Just find the edit closest to the date you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

2 quick questions:

Is there a reason for seemingly dead air on Smackdown? I notice at times the commentary suddenly stops then picks up after a while. So have they stopped or was it edited out for some reason?

Secondly, maybe it was asked before, but was the Michaels/Hart hug legit or was it just WWE bringing closure to the story while Hart and Michaels still don't get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

1. Yes. The show is not aired live so they've a chance to edit it - specifically edit out the ads (that weren't paid for overseas, or are only meant for certain countries - Smackdown coming to Azerbaijan! etc) and re-doing commentary. It results in the rather jarring dead air bits.

2. It was legit, you can see it wasn't a loving embrace, just back-slapping to get through it. They had minimal contact before their segment on RAW. I don't think they're on their Xmas card list but both wanted to be done with having the MSJ almost define their careers. I'd say it's more an official truce and closure. I'd also say it was more for Bret as he didn't want to carry around his bitterness towards McMahon/HBK/WWE anymore.

How come Rob Van Dam, Raven and Tommy Dreamer could use their names in ECW, TNA and WWE but others couldn't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Omackeral wrote: »
    How come Rob Van Dam, Raven and Tommy Dreamer could use their names in ECW, TNA and WWE but others couldn't.

I can only assume they own the trademarks on their name themselves and not owned by the organisation themselves. I know Raven was a character Scott Levy created himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

WWE have gotten a lot better about signing up name rights to waterproof contracts.

But back then, when the wrestlers had more options of where to ply their trade, I guess they could negotiate to retain their name rights themselves. Now though, WWE know they have more power when negotiating.

Combine that with the fact that most WWE wrestlers are their own grown guys, so they simply give them a name and make sure they copyright it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Why wasn't Punk given a WWE name when he debuted?

I think Paul Heyman fought for him to keep the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Adiboo wrote: »
    Why wasn't Punk given a WWE name when he debuted?

I've read that Vince was on a 'sure, keep your name' mood at that time. I also bet he didn't think Punk would become anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Do wrestlers know already when they start at WWE that they're going to eventually be 'the guy'? For example had Reigns been told by the bookers back when the Shield first appeared that they had big plans for him in the next 2-3 years? If so then would Rollins and Ambrose know from the start that Reigns would be the guy from the three of them who was eventually going get the push?

Likewise are there other wrestlers who know they'll never break the glass ceiling no matter how over they get or how hard they work?

Basically are wrestlers absolutely clear 'where they (and everyone else) stand' right from the start (both in terms of just the pecking order and also earning potential etc)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Do wrestlers know already when they start at WWE that they're going to eventually be 'the guy'? For example had Reigns been told by the bookers back when the Shield first appeared that they had big plans for him in the next 2-3 years? If so then would Rollins and Ambrose know from the start that Reigns would be the guy from the three of them who was eventually going get the push?

Likewise are there other wrestlers who know they'll never break the glass ceiling no matter how over they get or how hard they work?

Basically are wrestlers absolutely clear 'where they (and everyone else) stand' right from the start (both in terms of just the pecking order and also earning potential etc)?

I'm sure some guys are promised certain things coming in (Sin Cara, for example), but i wouldn't think that guys being brought up from Developmental would be told they're the Next Big Thing. The likes of the Shield would no doubt have been told they would debut in a top spot, and be booked strong. It'd be up to each guy individually then to display themselves in the best manner possible, from within that unit. I think everyone felt (me included), that Ambrose would be the breakout star of that unit, because of his serious mic skills. However, Reigns has the more exciting WWE style in ring, and he has an unbelievable look to go with it, so now, he has all the pieces coming together for him to be that Next Big Thing.

I'm sure some guys are brought in and told they would be enhancement talent, with a view to moving up the card at a later date, based on their performance. I'm sure the USOs or Los Matadores knew coming in they were never going to hold the Main Belt, or be "the Guy"

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Any time that I've heard Jim Ross or anyone associated with the higher-ups in the WWE talk about this, the general suggestion is that the wrestlers are told to go out there and cease the opportunity, i.e. no promises but the inference that they will get the backing of the WWE if the wrestler can get him or herself over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Has anyone else heard the Attitude Air radio show on Liffey Sound FM in Dublin? I get it on the drive home the odd time mainly on rainy nights like this.

Do either of the lads visit the forum even?

Has anyone else heard the Attitude Air radio show on Liffey Sound FM in Dublin? I get it on the drive home the odd time mainly on rainy nights like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

Any idea of how they decide who gets to "call" the matches?

I imagine it's the more experienced guys get the choice, but I think I remember hearing Austin called all of his matches even when younger because he had really bad hearing or something!

rovert wrote: »

I haven't heard of the channel, what frequency us it on and what time does the show be on at ?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I haven't heard of the channel, what frequency us it on and what time does the show be on at ?

96.4FM 6.30pm I think on Fridays.

Love playing it in the car with non-fans. The mortification of names like DOLPH ZIGGLER and JACK SWAGGER said aloud on the radio. :pac:

JrdanB wrote: »
    Any idea of how they decide who gets to "call" the matches?

I imagine it's the more experienced guys get the choice, but I think I remember hearing Austin called all of his matches even when younger because he had really bad hearing or something!

It's generally the heel, but I'm sure guys like Cena call their own matches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    It's generally the heel, but I'm sure guys like Cena call their own matches

Who would have called the Rock-Cena matches?

• Advertisement

Who would have called the Rock-Cena matches?

Cena, I'd imagine. With him being full time active in the ring and all. But these guys would have a framework for the match worked out beforehand, like a sequence of moves, each numbered. So, for example, seq 1 could be, headlock, hammerlock, reversal, backdrop, whip, leapfrog, headlock takeover. So all that needs to be called is 1 in the ring and they launch into it.

Advertisement