Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

2 Questions:
    1. With a number of moves now banned in WWE, like the piledriver, what's the most dangerous move still being used?

2. Watching the Regal/Goldberg match that was supposedly meant to be a squash match, is there any other match where the guy being squashed decided to put up more of a fight than he was meant to? I guess Angle/Puder would be another example

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

CastorTroy wrote: »
    2 Questions:
    1. With a number of moves now banned in WWE, like the piledriver, what's the most dangerous move still being used?

Probably the Tombstone, but hardly anyone is allowed use it. Pretty much every move can be dangerous if you dont know how to do it properly. A dropkick could fcuk you up if you dont know what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭kksaints

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Probably the Tombstone, but hardly anyone is allowed use it. Pretty much every move can be dangerous if you dont know how to do it properly. A dropkick could fcuk you up if you dont know what you're doing.

Wasnt it Ted DiBiase who was concussed by a slap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

The Sandman had a match against Cactus Jack in ECW where Foley was ti win but Sandman was drunk and wouldn't finish the match. I'm sure someone else could list a few matches where wrestlers have gone into business for themselves but with regards to no-selling of moves or losses prettt much every Hulk Hogan or John Cena match :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The Sandman had a match against Cactus Jack in ECW where Foley was ti win but Sandman was drunk and wouldn't finish the match. I'm sure someone else could list a few matches where wrestlers have gone into business for themselves but with regards to no-selling of moves or losses prettt much every Hulk Hogan or John Cena match :pac:
    Sandman was concussed, not drunk. This was discussed in thread only last week. Foley clocked Sandman with a heavy iron skillet during a last man standing match. Sandman wouldn't stay down

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Sandman was concussed, not drunk. This was discussed in thread only last week. Foley clocked Sandman with a heavy iron skillet during a last man standing match. Sandman wouldn't stay down

Oops. It was the tables&ladders match against Sabu in 1997 where he was drunk.

When WCW was beating WWE in the ratings and WWE was supposedly close at one stage to going out of business, did Ted Turner ever try and buy the WWE?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

When WCW was beating WWE in the ratings and WWE was supposedly close at one stage to going out of business, did Ted Turner ever try and buy the WWE?

I don't think he did. Vince would never have sold anyhow, and Ted likely knew that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Some local jobber tried to take a liberty with Perry Saturn years ago. Saturn beat the ever living snot out of his for doing so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gimmick wrote: »
    Some local jobber tried to take a liberty with Perry Saturn years ago. Saturn beat the ever living snot out of his for doing so.

Mike Bell. Googling him will lead you down a HUGE google hole. His brother Mark Bell directed an amazing documentary about male body image, 1980's (steroid) culture - you Hulk Hogan to Arnold Schwarzenegger and the whole issue with cheating in sports:

Mike was a big advocate of steriods and say them as avenue to becoming as successful wrestler however success never came. He died of a heart attack in 2009.

There's loads of things to watch nowadays especially with the WWE Network but Bigger Stronger Faster is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

On the PPV prior to WM14, No Way Out of Texas, Shawn Michaels was out with injury and was replaced by Savio Vega

Why Vega? I understand the roster was stretched as it was in early 98 but surely there was someone else who could have replaced Michaels especially as they knew prior to the match he wasn't fit to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Loughc wrote: »
    On the PPV prior to WM14, No Way Out of Texas, Shawn Michaels was out with injury and was replaced by Savio Vega

Why Vega? .

Because Savio vega was the bomb!

Los boricuas 4 life

Why Vega? I understand the roster was stretched as it was in early 98 but surely there was someone else who could have replaced Michaels especially as they knew prior to the match he wasn't fit to compete.

I honestly don't know. Why Savio was picked among the current WWF roster was that he had a rep as a brawler and doing hardcore in Puerto Rico.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

rovert wrote: »
    I honestly don't know. Why Savio was picked among the current WWF roster was that he had a rep as a brawler and doing hardcore in Puerto Rico.

True, but the majority of the WWF fan-base weren't overily firmilar with his Puerto Rico past. It's like replacing Orton with Heath Slater, it doesn't make sense, especially as 1997/98 saw lots of guys doing double duty mostly on Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That No Way Out of Texas odd man out situation has gotten to me before.

Another replacement that could've made sense was Chyna. I know she was green and all but with 7 dudes in there, they could have covered up for her. Plus it wasn't exactly catch as catch can stuff.

What about X-Pac? Could've been a solid and logical choice if his contract were to be signed a few weeks early. Was he available? He appeared a month later anyway with HHH and the Outlaws.

Another thing I've read before was Kurrgan. Seriously. Supposed to be given a massive push but Don Callis (The Jackyl/Cyrus) didn't think they could cover up his weaknesses.

The Savio thing kinda made sense though as DX had done business with them before at the Royal Rumble in the casket match. So it was somewhat logical. But Savio for HBK is laughable. I do recall at the time on air they were teasing bringing someone in from outside. That's either poor or brilliant form in order to secure a few last minute buys, not sure which!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

When was Takers WM streak first acknowledged?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Kolido wrote: »
    When was Takers WM streak first acknowledged?

It'd been mentioned in passing without actually being acknowledged from the early-90s on, I've read, but it was with Flair at X8 that it became a thing, with the build and 'Taker throwing up the 10 fingers post-match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It'd been mentioned in passing without actually being acknowledged from the early-90s on, I've read, but it was with Flair at X8 that it became a thing, with the build and 'Taker throwing up the 10 fingers post-match.
    The first time it properly became a thing for wrestlers trying to beat though was in 2004 when Orton challenged him. He told him he would break his winning streak to make it 12-1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Vega was allied with DX at the time. He wasnt an official member but worked with them. It made perfect sense in that regard.

Savio Vega had feuded with Steve Austin in 1996 so it was WWF showing they had psychologyz :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    The first time it properly became a thing for wrestlers trying to beat though was in 2004 when Orton challenged him. He told him he would break his winning streak to make it 12-1

That was 2005 vs Orton. 2004 was against Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Anyone know the background to Bradshaw getting his big push and becoming JBL? I mean he was popular as part of the APA but at the same time was only a midcarder who went on to hold on to the title for about a year if memory serves me. I think he is good pals with Taker and maybe HHH... was it clout like this that got him there?

Eddie Guerrero was a big fan of his and pushed for him to get a push. WWE were short at top heels at the time and needed a new body in the mix.

WWE also quietly released Faarooq the same week as his drinking problem was getting out of hand.

rovert wrote: »
    WWE also quietly released Faarooq the same week as his drinking problem was getting out of hand.

Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Degag wrote: »
    Anyone know the background to Bradshaw getting his big push and becoming JBL? I mean he was popular as part of the APA but at the same time was only a midcarder who went on to hold on to the title for about a year if memory serves me. I think he is good pals with Taker and maybe HHH... was it clout like this that got him there?

He was making a name for himself outside of WWE as a financial analyst on Fox News (the kind of mainstream publicity WWE love for their brand) so WWE saw an opportunity to turn it into a great heel gimmick and it took off. Great example of a midcarder revinenting himself towards the end of his career.

Giving the timing, I don't think you can say it was clout that got him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fr. Sensini

This was around the time they started portraiting Smackdown as the clear No.2 show. Benoit switched after winning the Royal Rumble, Edge, Matt Hardy and Shelton Benjamin all moved in the draft, Lesnar left and both Angle and Big Show were out injured at the time. I vaguely remember reading that Shawn Michaels was meant to move but he refused because he had some prayer group on Tuesday. They did get Booker T & RVD over but they didn't seem to care about them at the time. I thought Booker T was a much better option as Eddies heel rival while JBL had obvious feuds with the likes of RVD and Mysterio before going after the WWE Title later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

When Hogan returned in 2002, why was he given Voodoo Child instead of Real American as his entrance music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Adiboo wrote: »
    When Hogan returned in 2002, why was he given Voodoo Child instead of Real American as his entrance music?

Wasn't he a heel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

At the start of his return he was part of the NWO so it made more sense for him to have that theme

Later in his run he had the old Real American theme back

Advertisement