Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Adiboo wrote: »
    When Hogan returned in 2002, why was he given Voodoo Child instead of Real American as his entrance music?

It's his NWO music from WCW (I'm sure you knew that already) and he came in as a heel, but I think he kept it to further him from his original WWF character, like this is the 'new' WWF/WCW "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan. As opposed to right now where he's being straight used as the guy from the 80s who you can see on the Network. IIRC at the time there was resistance by WWF creative against using Real American and the Red/Yellow so there were a few weeks where he was dressed in black and used Voodoo Chile instead. The Red/Yellow returned but not Real American until the "Mr America" schtick of 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It's his NWO music from WCW (I'm sure you knew that already) and he came in as a heel, but I think he kept it to further him from his original WWF character, like this is the 'new' WWF/WCW "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan. As opposed to right now where he's being straight used as the guy from the 80s who you can see on the Network. IIRC at the time there was resistance by WWF creative against using Real American and the Red/Yellow so there were a few weeks where he was dressed in black and used Voodoo Chile instead. The Red/Yellow returned but not Real American until the "Mr America" schtick of 2003.

Well the NWO music was essentially a remix of different Hendrix riffs clashed together, but I don't think Hogan ever had Voodoo Child as a theme in WCW but I could be wrong. And he didn't have Voodoo Child as a theme in WWE until the Raw after Wrestlemania X8. IIRC he came out at the start of that Raw to NWO music then had a 6 man Tag in the main event that night and came out to Voodoo Child. Then on Smackdown the same week made the return as the Red + Yellow Hogan whilst still using Voodoo Child, which he continued to use as his theme for the next 4-5 months. I think they just didn't want to use Real American because it was "Too 80's" but then they realised how expensive it would be to pay for the rights for Voodoo Child for the DVD releases and whatnot and quietly switched his theme back to Real American without much fanfare and then dubbed Real American over Voodoo Child in all the home video releases. And I used the term Voodoo Child 7 times in this post alone (including that time) for anyone arsed reading this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

^^^

What Hendrix song was used?

:confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Voodoo Child was used by Hogan in WCW

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Who would of got the quickest pushes after their debuts in the wwe, as is quickest to capture the top belt after their debut (or at least pushed to main event status)

I believe Lesner, Taker and Yoko got big pushes from the off, anyone else?

I know Flair was quick to win the title back in 92 but he was already a veteran at that stage, I wouldn't really consider this, I mean virtually unknown guys when they debut.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    Who would of got the quickest pushes after their debuts in the wwe, as is quickest to capture the top belt after their debut (or at least pushed to main event status)

I believe Lesner, Taker and Yoko got big pushes from the off, anyone else?

I know Flair was quick to win the title back in 92 but he was already a veteran at that stage, I wouldn't really consider this, I mean virtually unknown guys when they debut.

In WCW, Big Show won the title in his first match

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

David Arquette got a fairly big push when he debuted. That counts right?!? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Seamus got to the top quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kurt Angle. Kurt made his WWE debut at the 1999 Survivor Series. Within one calendar year, he won the King of the Ring Tournament, the Intercontinental Title, the European Title and most importantly the WWE Championship by beating the Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

giant aka big show debuted July 16, 1995 and won wcw title October 29, 1995 (total of 105 days)

yokozuna debuted October 31, 1992 and won wwe title April 4, 1993 (total of 155 days)

lesnar debuted on raw March 18, 2002 and won the wwe title August 25, 2002 (total of 160 days)

sheamus debuted on ecw June 30, 2009 and won the wwe title December 13, 2009 (total of 166 days)

angle debuted November 14, 1999 and won wwe title October 22, 2000, (total of 343 days)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Did/Do strap matches always (or regularly) have the exact same finish (i.e. the heel drags battered face around turnbuckle 1,2,3 unwittingly setting up a 3-3 score only for the face to then steal turnbuckle 4 and win

I was watching a couple of old In Your House episodes recently (#8 and #9 I believe) and Savio Vega won both times with this exact finish. In #9 JBL looked shocked that this had happened, which seemed a stretch even in prowrestling considering the exact same thing had happened to Stone Cold Steve Austin in the previous PPV only about a month earlier also vs Vega.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JBL won his first WWE Championship in a strap match and the finish was different than the Savio Special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Did/Do strap matches always (or regularly) have the exact same finish (i.e. the heel drags battered face around turnbuckle 1,2,3 unwittingly setting up a 3-3 score only for the face to then steal turnbuckle 4 and win

I was watching a couple of old In Your House episodes recently (#8 and #9 I believe) and Savio Vega won both times with this exact finish. In #9 JBL looked shocked that this had happened, which seemed a stretch even in prowrestling considering the exact same thing had happened to Stone Cold Steve Austin in the previous PPV only about a month earlier also vs Vega.

The tug of war finish like in the Savio matches or the touching the fourth turnbuckle at the same time like in he Eddie v JBL match from Great American Bash 04 are the only ones I've ever seen (same kinda finish used in Sting v Vader at Superbrawl III).

Hulk Hogan was in a strap match with Vader I think where he won the match by dragging someone else around, usual kinda screwed up WCW booking.

Has it ever been acknowledged on air that Godfather/Kama was Papa Shango?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Omackeral wrote: »

Sorry, not an answer but just to add, Is Mick Foley the only guy they've acknowledged the multiple personalities of?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sorry, not an answer but just to add, Is Mick Foley the only guy they've acknowledged the multiple personalities of?

Well with Luke Gallows it was a point that he'd been Festus originally. There's probably been others (dunno if you count Johnny Nitro to John Morrison), but that's one that sticks out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I remember Seing a picture of all of Rikishi's male kids (think he has a daughter too) and there were 4 usos (the word means brother iirc), anyone know if the other two have any wrestling training?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are the world titles (WWE) going stay unified and will there be one belt?

Angron wrote: »
    Well with Luke Gallows it was a point that he'd been Festus originally. There's probably been others (dunno if you count Johnny Nitro to John Morrison), but that's one that sticks out.

I'm fairly sure they've recognised Viscera/Big Daddy V as Mabel. Also a tongue in cheeks reference would be when Santino referred to Tensai as a 'Fat Albert'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm fairly sure they've recognised Viscera/Big Daddy V as Mabel. Also a tongue in cheeks reference would be when Santino referred to Tensai as a 'Fat Albert'

Commentators said Tensai had been there before but dont think they said his old names. Likely because he was a jobber then and they were pushing him against Cena at the time.

• Advertisement

Chainsaw Charlie was openly referred to as Terry Funk back in 97/98. Not sure whether or not the gimmick was a WWF idea. I think Funk said it was a tribute to a friend. Also, Funk had "retired" in Sept of 97 after a match with Bret Hart on a show in Texas that featured ECW and WWF wrestlers.

Vince McMahon or one of the road agents are often in the ear of over the headset feeding them lines, telling them what to say so talking about previous gimmicks and horrible failed ones no less is fairly rare afaik. Papa Shango might have been mebtioned on the Legends of Wrestling roundtable discussion on 'Worst Gimmicks' iirc.

Via rovert in images thread:

0RgliE8.jpg

Q: Has anyone ever powerbombed Big Van Vader? I'm currently watching him in a feud with Sycho Sid and Sid keeps setting him up for the powerbomb but it always gets interrupted in one way or another (making me suspect it's because it was a move that simply couldn't be done).

Q: Has anyone ever powerbombed Big Van Vader? I'm currently watching him in a feud with Sycho Sid and Sid keeps setting him up for the powerbomb but it always gets interrupted in one way or another (making me suspect it's because it was a move that simply couldn't be done).

They had a powerbomb match at In Your House 11 in 1996, did it not end in a powerbomb? :confused: Sid won the match anyway and got a title shot out of it.

Vader wrestled a lot in Japan, he might have taken one there idk.... Outside of his awful WWF run he was booked as a monster heel and with someone like that you don't want to have them getting knocked on their arse and bumping around like a rag doll since they'd end up looking like the Big Show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I reckon he did at some point, in any case Misawa hit him with the tiger driver a bunch of times

• Site Banned Posts: 433 ✭✭Donegal Dan

Rjd2 wrote: »
    If he ever stood up for himself then it would have stopped ages ago, Vince does not mess with Lawler because he knows he will be told to **** off and Lawler will go home and count his money. Its harsh on JR but he could and should have nipped this in the bud a long time ago.

Not true.

Vince once fired Jerry's then wife Stacy "The Kat" Carter knowing the King would leave in protest.

McMahon seems to see his commentators as being just above road crew and just below house show jobbers as far as being replaceable goes.

Q: How did Triple H get that big diagonal scar/indentation above his left ear?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are the world titles (WWE) going stay unified and will there be one belt?

They will likely stay unified. Alvarez & Meltzer had a discussion on this when they were originally unified, and the thought process at the time was, if any belt was going to be the "main" belt, it'd be the WWE Title (the Logo belt), mainly due to the amount of money and time involved in creating that yoke:(

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I don't think so, they openly refer to him as Kama when he is The Godfather especially when he was still in the Nation. Don't think they ever make reference to Papa Shango though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Was Hardcore Holly a babyface or heel in early 2000?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

mxph3 wrote: »
    Was Hardcore Holly a babyface or heel in early 2000?

A tough bastard with elements of a heart/Amusingly badass badass

So babyface.

Advertisement