Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Rawm2008

Plenty of belt makers over the world just put inonline custom belts, again these can be anything from 500 quid to 2 grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Smoshi

Jaysus!

Sounds like getting a decent business going costs alot of start up capital!

Ok last question i promise :)

Is there any sort of license required to start up a wrestling promotion? Or can you get insurance & just being booking shows?

I mean these questions in relavence to ireland in particular.

No you dont need a license, You need public liablity and other insurances like all live performace shows. ohh and lots of money to cover venue and talent costs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

How come you very rarely see someone getting put in a hold anymore?

I remember when I first started watching wrestling in the late 80's/early 90's pretty much every match you would see someone getting put in a hold during a match. e.g, Sleeper, Arm Bar, Headlock, Cobra Clutch, Abdominal Stretch, Shoulder Claw etc... these type of moves used to be used all the time. But I noticed by about 98-00 these were just gone completely from most matches & the only time you would see a hold was if it was a finisher e.g,Sharpshooter, Figure Four, Crossface etc...

Why did the they decide to get rid of them? Did they think it was too boring a guy sitting in the same position for 3 or 4 mins ? Did Vince or anybody ever make any comments about it?

I'm not sure what it's like today as I havent really watched wrestling since 03/04.

tdv123 wrote: »

I Did they think it was too boring a guy sitting in the same position for 3 or 4 mins .

Theres your answer rite there, at the live house shows you mite see one match doing this but never on tv, you would be lucky to get a hold for 30-60 seconds on a tv match now as they are that short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I think it's a combination of factors ranging from the average american television viewer having the attention span of a goldfish, the rise in fans that just want to see spot-monkeys risking their necks and the fact that match lengths are so much shorter because rosters are bigger, interviews are longer,build times for ppvs are shorter (so more recaps, backstage vignettes etc) and what feels like years are wasted on divasearch, tv/movie promotions and unfunny comedy when there is only about 3 and a half hourse of programming each week.

Plus half of the wrestlers today can't sell or use ring psychology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

I remember when I first started watching wrestling in the late 80's/early 90's pretty much every match you would see someone getting put in a hold during a match. e.g, Sleeper, Arm Bar, Headlock, Cobra Clutch, Abdominal Stretch, Shoulder Claw etc... these type of moves used to be used all the time. But I noticed by about 98-00 these were just gone completely from most matches & the only time you would see a hold was if it was a finisher e.g,Sharpshooter, Figure Four, Crossface etc...

Why did the they decide to get rid of them? Did they think it was too boring a guy sitting in the same position for 3 or 4 mins ? Did Vince or anybody ever make any comments about it?

I'm not sure what it's like today as I havent really watched wrestling since 03/04.

To add what others have said in the late 80s and early 90s holds got a bad name as wrestlers especially in the WWF with their roidheads with no cardio applied them lazily with no intensity which lead to newsletters referring to them as restholds (a move which a wrestle applied so he could have breather :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

No back ups, the title is yours to care for and if anything happens to it, its your problem. Jericho had his luggage delayed before at a ouse show while IC champ and had to wear the Women's title out tere as a replacement.
    Surely he could have just used a replica?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think its because its easier to sell a slam or a throw than a hold and the mass public prefer someone to be slammed head first onto the mat as opposed to be locked in an unconvincing hold.

For example Del Rio at the EC was trying to apply a modified arm bar to Kofi Kingston. Kofi was holding onto his "in trouble" hand with his free hand, whilst Del Rio tried to break the grip.

It was easy for anyone to see that Del Rio wasn't really "trying" to break the grip and despite attempting to give off the impression that he was struggling to get the arm, his hands were very obviously loose on Kingstons arm and it looked like no pressure was being applied.

Similiary a lot of boston crabs, sharpshooters etc are locked in with no pressure on the back and its quite obvious to most people that without the wrestler for example sitting on the back of the opponent in a crab the move looks very dodgy and very fake.

Rightfully so because in some hold manuevers you would literally have to bring your opponent to the point of actual pain to sell the move as being authentic. So combine that with the fact that it "looks better" to just throw a guy across the ring, and you have a diminishing amount of holds.

I mean its still entertaining if a hold is in for a couple of minutes to see the opponent struggle to get across to the ropes and be pulled back etc, but with WWE trying to be extra safe, selling the move is a lot more difficult.
    My two cents anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Does anyone know where I can find a respectable webpage that publishes WWE and/or TNA talent salaries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TheBantam

Did we ever find out why Nexus interrupted and attacked the Undertaker in his buried alive match vs Kane last year at a PPV I can't remember?
    Might have missed it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

TheBantam wrote: »
    Did we ever find out why Nexus interrupted and attacked the Undertaker in his buried alive match vs Kane last year at a PPV I can't remember?

We will probably never know for sure. My guess is that at the time around the Buried Alive match, they wanted to build towards an Undertaker v Nexus match at Wrestlemania.

WWE booking team obviously changed their plans somewhere along the way, splitting up the Barrett led Nexus, and were probably also worried that Nexus or Barrett wouldn't sell as many WM PPV's as they thought. And probably rightly so. The new Nexus is just a revamped Straight Edge Society,, in other words its another group of CM Punk and 'others', and The Corre don't seem to have as much momentum as the old Nexus had before Christmas.

Charisteas wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find a respectable webpage that publishes WWE and/or TNA talent salaries?
    I don't but know that a list was leaked about 5 years ago. Have no link to it but HHH and Taker were the highest earners on about $2m a year plus perks such as free travel and use of the WWE Jet if i remember correctly.

Wouldn't mind seeing a more up to date version myself actually:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

TheBantam wrote: »

I heard it was partly with Mania in mind and it was partly to protect the Undertakers character as they didn't want him losing to Kane 1 on 1 3 months in a row. it's worth remembering taker probably woulda went over in that match had he not got injured

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Charisteas wrote: »

I don't know of any but you could ask Alvarez/Meltzer on WON/F4O.... but you'd probably have to be a paying member.:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

I dont watch wrestling anymore apart from royal rumble to wrestlemania time so never found out where JR went, is he ever coming back and why is he gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I dont watch wrestling anymore apart from royal rumble to wrestlemania time so never found out where JR went, is he ever coming back and why is he gone?
    He hasn't been on screen since his cerebral palsy attack. Since then Vince decided to replace him becuase he didn't fit in with the WWEs new young look. He works behind the sceens now. I dunno if he'll return especially since Cole and Matthews are looking good on commentary but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

JR suffered another Bells Palsy attack back in October '09 before the Bragging Rights PPV. WWE then took him off the announcers team. He's been working for WWE behind the scenes (he's heading to Mexico for them this week). He came back at the Old School Raw in November to announce a match but there's no plans for him to return full time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Oh that sucks! But Its not too bad as heel cole and matthews are good together I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

There was a lot of talk about people wanting him back to call certain mania matches last year notably hbk/taker so I wouldn't be surprised to see a cole vs lawler match at mania in whatever form it takes being used as a way to temp get him back on the announce table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Would LOVE to see them involve JR in the Lawler/Cole feud, posssibly with him in Lawler's corner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Would LOVE to see them involve JR in the Lawler/Cole feud, posssibly with him in Lawler's corner.

It's the wrestlemania of returns. Hhh, taker, the rock, trish, etc so why not jr

It's the wrestlemania of returns. Hhh, taker, the rock, trish, etc so why not jr
    Cole gets the mic "I'm not a wrestler and this is unfair so I evened the odds!" and out comes Riley to be in his corner. King grabs the mic "Well I'm more of a wrestler than a commentator, so we should completely even the odds." Out comes JR. I jump out of my chair and the doritos go flying everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I've been saying for a while that JR might be brought into it. I still think it will be the conclusion to it. They might have a stip that whoever wins chooses the commentary team on Raw.

Cole gets the mic "I'm not a wrestler and this is unfair so I evened the odds!" and out comes Riley to be in his corner. King grabs the mic "Well I'm more of a wrestler than a commentator, so we should completely even the odds." Out comes JR. I jump out of my chair and the doritos go flying everywhere.
    I think that Bret vs. Vince would look like a masterpiece compared to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Degag wrote: »

Only if JR broke out a steel chair and used it to have a breather :o

Degag wrote: »
    Oh jesus christ don't let JR in the ring, I just mean support from a managerial position. Let him throw a chair in maybe, but keep him from even getting in the apron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Smoshi

Is the rumour true that Eve Torres choked out Matt Hardy when he wouldn't stop coming on to her?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Smoshi wrote: »
    Is the rumour true that Eve Torres choked out Matt Hardy when he wouldn't stop coming on to her?

Oh God, I hope so. Never heard the story before though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Smoshi wrote: »

That would be hilarious!
    Hope so!

Advertisement