Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Has Brock Lesnar ever messed up his ring entrance jump from the floor up to the ring apron?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

What was the deal with Taz and his towel over the head???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

beakerjoe wrote: »
    What was the deal with Taz and his towel over the head???

His gimmick was he was a shootfighter. Either he had kayfabe just come from the gym to kick ass or he wanted to delay the reveal of his ugly mush. Cornermen in MMA and boxing have towels so why not Taz. It looked great even though it was a filthy raggedy looking thing. Worked better than when Kane had a towel on his head :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Why do the rock and rikishi and yoko et al say they are cousins when there isn't any actual blood relation ? It doesn't seem to be actual cousins.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Why do the rock and rikishi and yoko et al say they are cousins when there isn't any actual blood relation ? It doesn't seem to be actual cousins.

It's a Samoan thing as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The Anao'i and Maivia families merged, like a blood oath. (Rock's uncle and the Wild Samoans' dad) Although technically not, it's a family bond and taken very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

When and why did TMZ start reporting on wrestling stories? Seems a bit odd from what I can gather is a Hollywood celeb site.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

jonnybadd wrote: »
    When and why did TMZ start reporting on wrestling stories? Seems a bit odd from what I can gather is a Hollywood celeb site.

think its just US celebs and WWE werestlers just about fall under that umbrella I remember reading somewhere recently that WWE have actually started feeding them stories so as to try and create a buzz around them (prehaps it was back when D.Young came out). Would make sense what with them talking about how TMZ broke the news of Mr T going into the HOF while they were live on Raw for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

think its just US celebs and WWE werestlers just about fall under that umbrella I remember reading somewhere recently that WWE have actually started feeding them stories so as to try and create a buzz around them (prehaps it was back when D.Young came out). Would make sense what with them talking about how TMZ broke the news of Mr T going into the HOF while they were live on Raw for example

Cheers, I can imagine them doing this to broaden the coverage. I remembeer thinking Vince had a stake originally because as far as I remember they started having stories about wrestlers long before total divas was a thing. I may be misremembering but it wasn't even in a boom time for intrest in the WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

They've found a new facet of semi-celebrity to exploit - Wrestlers generally make arses of themselves (Kurt Angle, Cameron and her DUI, bribing a police officer to let her go etc) and the public already think lowly of wrestling, so it's a perfect fit for them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Lots of celebrity/entertainment websites are doing it now. DigitalSpy in the UK are doing it more too.

Going back decades it has always been the case when a newspaper or a newspaper's website covered Wrestling they would always get a huge spike in traffic/positive feedback. However a small number of regular readers would complain about "why is The Times covering Pro Wrestling" or why is it in the Sports section. Print media is kind of conservative so it would listen to the complaints rather than the praise so no regular column covering Wrestling would result from the success of the Wrestling article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

How do you become a commentator in wrestling business?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

mxph3 wrote: »

Well it depends. It's much harder to do it nowadays seeing as all the major companies pretty much have their teams sorted.

Originally I'd suspect during the days of the territories you'd audition for one promotion (work colour or play by play) and if you were top class you'd get a call from New York or Atlanta. You'd go there, get more exposure and stay with one or go to the other.

Todays broadcast teams are usually former wrestlers or developmental talent. I love it this way though because it's more believable to hear someone who has been in the ring talk from experience. One of the reasons I'm a huge Matt Striker mark on commentary (and obviously Regal).

Hope this answers your question.

mxph3 wrote: »

Good hair, good teeth, handsome face, solid jaw and a nice tan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Also a willingness to laugh at bad jokes as if they are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

And the ability to tell stories, rather than call the action happening in the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If you know the names of the moves you need not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    If you know the names of the moves you need not apply.

or the rules of the matches ala Jerry Lawler "you mean if he climbs the ladder and gets the belt he wins?!" jesus christ Jerry you've probably been in a hundred ladder matches and watched more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I knew i was not going to get a serious answer. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was actually watching NXT and it's so weird hearing the commentators putting all competitors over and calling the in ring action, as well as giving history and making a few jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was actually watching NXT and it's so weird hearing the commentators putting all competitors over and calling the in ring action, as well as giving history and making a few jokes.

It really is night and day the difference.

Makes the show much more enjoyable and makes the action in the ring seem a bigger deal.

Triple H runs everything in NXT and he's not a nutter like Vince screaming down the headset so that's one possible positive when he takes over from Vince that the commentary won't be as asinine as it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

I haven't watched wrestling since I was a kid. I do browse here to pass some time. I always see posts complaining about the poor storylines and so on. Is this the equivalent to a football fan disagreeing with the managers tactics? Does it take away from your enjoyment of watching wrestling if the storyline is poor?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I haven't watched wrestling since I was a kid. I do browse here to pass some time. I always see posts complaining about the poor storylines and so on. Is this the equivalent to a football fan disagreeing with the managers tactics? Does it take away from your enjoyment of watching wrestling if the storyline is poor?

Speaking for myself, but a massive part of my wrestling fandom comes from discussion with people online, and moaning about stuff usually brings the best discussions and interactions. So even when it's poor stories, at least I know it will generate plenty of discussion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

How in the name of god have they let Dolph Ziggler fall so low he was hugely over when he won his World Title from Del Rio but now just over a year later hes a jobber ??

How in the name of god have they let Dolph Ziggler fall so low he was hugely over when he won his World Title from Del Rio but now just over a year later hes a jobber ??

The answer seems to be that he said he could beat Orton in a real fight in an interview with a local newspaper.

But in general he isn't best liked by the WWE locker room as he is bit of a dick and very sarcastic. He isn't liked by road agents/producers (the people who help put together matches) as he doesn't listen to advice or take criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

rovert wrote: »
    The answer seems to be that he said he could beat Orton in a real fight in an interview with a local newspaper.

But in general he isn't best liked by the WWE locker room as he is bit of a dick and very sarcastic. He isn't liked by road agents/producers (the people who help put together matches) as he doesn't listen to advice or take criticism.

Much like Orton in his younger years then ....I dunno I always hear people complain that WWE can't make new stars, They can , but they can't keep them up there ,Same with Sandow spent ages building him up , He wins the MITB cashs it in, loses disapperars, Kingston was another one they had him have a great feud with Orton and gave him a personality, Then squashed and back to step 1 again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

In regards to Kingston I heard he's push was derailed because orton refused to put him over

smilerf wrote: »
    In regards to Kingston I heard he's push was derailed because orton refused to put him over

It is somewhat of a mystery but this incident was most public:

Kofi botching the RKO and landing on Randy shoulder that he is very, very, very, very , very sensitive about as if it pops out again he may no longer be able to Wrestle again.

• Advertisement

Ziggler's comments

www.mlive.com/entertainment/detroit/index.ssf/2013/09/wwes_dolph_ziggler_talks_detro.html
    . "I've made it clear; I'm not patient at all - several times. I've been very vocal about my position on the card and in the company. I'm not trying to say 'Hey, everybody sucks and I'm great!' But I love doing this, and at some point you go 'OK, It's not my time right now and I got to figure something out' And when it's time, that's when I must go out there and make as huge of an impact as I can and let everyone know 'I dare you to follow that, I dare you try something better.'

And when they don't (counter or match what I'm doing in the ring) I'm very outspoken about it and it can get me into very hot water (with the company). Then you never know where we're going. Everybody can be just so outspoken about taller guys, and guys like Randy Orton being the face of the WWE, the WWE Championship. I dare you to put me in a back alley with Randy Orton or someone like that. I guarantee I'm not afraid of someone taller."

Advertisement