Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

How in the name of god have they let Dolph Ziggler fall so low he was hugely over when he won his World Title from Del Rio but now just over a year later hes a jobber ??

Being popular doesnt mean you're good enough to be a main eventer. Santino is popular but will rightfully never be a World champion. At one time Hornswoggle was incredibly popular too. Ziggler is a mid carder which is more or less where he is right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm sorry Santino or Hornswoggle were never near as over as Ziggler was when he had briefcase

I'm sorry Santino or Hornswoggle were never near as over as Ziggler was when he had briefcase

Bar a one time pop, Ziggler wasnt that over. This without the fact that he was never that good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

The problem with Ziggler is that he comes across as a douche. WWE clearly want their top faces to be likeable or endearing in some way - Randy Orton as the obvious exception. Ziggler is basically a heel who wrestles like a face. It's why The Miz failed to get over as a face too. They didn't change their characters enough to be likeable

The problem with Ziggler is that he comes across as a douche. WWE clearly want their top faces to be likeable or endearing in some way - Randy Orton as the obvious exception. Ziggler is basically a heel who wrestles like a face. It's why The Miz failed to get over as a face too. They didn't change their characters enough to be likeable

To be fair, Miz has a very punchable face. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Was watching a RAW from late 1999; and in a match between Triple H and Shane McMahon it appears to me that Shane McMahon forgot to kick out (maybe he genuinely got hit by the knee just before and was out of it?) but the referee saved it by not counting the 3. The commentators were confused.

Anyone remember this or know more about it?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11d9tf_wwf-raw-11-01-1999-part-2_sport

It happens at 39:26. Jim Ross sort of saves it by suggesting Earl Hebner might be in Vince's pocket, shades of Survivor Series 1997. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Does anyone remember the character David Koechner late 99/00?

F4n5QYA.jpg

A Right to Censor gimmick before The Right to Censor.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Much like Orton in his younger years then ....I dunno I always hear people complain that WWE can't make new stars, They can , but they can't keep them up there ,Same with Sandow spent ages building him up , He wins the MITB cashs it in, loses disapperars, Kingston was another one they had him have a great feud with Orton and gave him a personality, Then squashed and back to step 1 again

Long term planning seems to be something of an afterthought, they push gets, give them a title, then either take it off them asap or put them in meaningless feuds instead of keeping the momentum going, not with everyone but a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

rovert wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the character David Koechner late 99/00?

A Right to Censor gimmick before The Right to Censor.

Blast from the past. It was 1999. He was on Raw on 11/15 and 11/22 and Smackdown 11/16, distracted a few babyfaces leading to a heel win. The PTC had been laying into the WWF that year. Kurt Angle was working a gimmick where he had high morals, could've been linked to that cause RTC didn't show up until after Wrestlemania 2000.

Late 1999 was a bit weird after Vince Russo left because he left behind unfinished storylines eg. the Stephanie/Test wedding and the Survivor Series and Armageddon undercard that year had a lot of random matches with little story driving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Speaking of obscure characters from 1999, anyone recall the Mean Street Posse having a dude called Willie Green in it? We all know Joey Abs, Pete Gas and Rodney but Green was defo in a vignette and possibly at Summerslam 99 in the front row during the Love or Leave Her street fight pitting Test against Shane McMahon.

Wonder was he a boyhood friend of Shane's that just never got into the business like the others (apart from Abs, who was a trained worker). The only picture I found of him before was a blacked our silhouette.

• Advertisement

Blast from the past. It was 1999. He was on Raw on 11/15 and 11/22 and Smackdown 11/16, distracted a few babyfaces leading to a heel win. The PTC had been laying into the WWF that year. Kurt Angle was working a gimmick where he had high morals, could've been linked to that cause RTC didn't show up until after Wrestlemania 2000.

Late 1999 was a bit weird after Vince Russo left because he left behind unfinished storylines eg. the Stephanie/Test wedding and the Survivor Series and Armageddon undercard that year had a lot of random matches with little story driving them.

I was reading recently that the original plan for Test to leave Stephanie at the alter and join DX. They even announced the wedding for a RAW in early October but a few days before (around the time Russo left) they came up with a storyline where the British Bulldog accidentally hit Stephanie with a trash can and so the wedding was delayed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A48694945

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Why does CM Punk hates TNA?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

mxph3 wrote: »

I'd imagine it's to do with the way he was handled during his short stint with them

mxph3 wrote: »

Punk hates everything :pac:

He was a lower card guy in TNA while ripping it up in ROH. He's probably unhappy they never made him World champion if his recent sulking is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: I heard somewhere that there's an (unspoken) rule in tag-team wrestling that a wrestler can go in and break up the pin once before his team is disqualified. I'm watching some matches from the mid-late '90s the moment and a frequent feature is that wrestlers can be seen repeatedly jumping in and breaking up pins during bouts (ie a particular individual doing it multiple times). So I'm wondering when did this 'rule' come into effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

WWE referrees are told to ref the matches as if they're real and disqualify on things like a wrestler not breaking at 5 at the ropes, count the three when someone's shoulders are on the mat etc.

Don't know why as WWE style looks anything but legit.

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: I heard somewhere that there's an (unspoken) rule in tag-team wrestling that a wrestler can go in and break up the pin once before his team is disqualified. I'm watching some matches from the mid-late '90s the moment and a frequent feature is that wrestlers can be seen repeatedly jumping in and breaking up pins during bouts (ie a particular individual doing it multiple times). So I'm wondering when did this 'rule' come into effect?

Rules like that only apply when they suit the storyline. A somewhat recent example would be Flair DQ'ing Austin for using a closed fist. Technically, it's a rule but it is never enforced fully unless it is for a storyline purpose like that. Another example is the 30 day rule. The US title has easily gone over 30 days without being defended on several occasions but it is never mentioned because it doesn't suit.

WWE referrees are told to ref the matches as if they're real and disqualify on things like a wrestler not breaking at 5 at the ropes, count the three when someone's shoulders are on the mat etc.

Don't know why as WWE style looks anything but legit.

Is this really confirmed? If you look at my post #3942 there is a clip where it's clear the referee didn't bring his hand down for the three because he wasn't supposed to (JR had to cover it by saying it might be a repeat of the Montreal Screwjob).

Another thing I remember, maybe a year ago. Punk was fighting Ziggler and the referee counted the 3, Ziggler kicked out a little late; Punk was supposed to win but he looked angry afterwards. Then the story came out that the match wasn't supposed to end at that point (it was supposed to end with Ziggler tapping out I think) and the reports were that there was heat on the referee for making a mistake.

I'm sure there are other examples.

Regarding Taker-Lesnar, according to the latest Wrestling Observer:
    Regarding the Undertaker/Lesnar finish, ref Chad Patton was never told the finish by Lesnar or Undertaker during the match. There was some question because Patton wasn’t told Undertaker was losing beforehand, but there was some conjecture that Undertaker or Lesnar may have tipped him off once he was in the ring. But he was told specifically before the match that if somebody’s shoulders are down, and it doesn’t matter who it is, to count the entire match like it’s a shoot, except on the Hell’s Gate (Gogoplata). He was told not to count Undertaker’s shoulders down while doing that move. That’s still really weird to not give the finish to the referee in a finish that if someone wasn’t expecting it, could get screwed up.

So if that's true, it's written like they made an exception in this case; to tell the referee to count the entire match like it's a shoot; but it's not a normal thing.

I still don't buy that. The referee simply has to know who is winning for such a big match.

He has no delay in counting the three and doesn't even look surprised. He knew the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

How come in some tag team matches they hold on to rope to lean forward and in some they don't whilst waiting for a tag

smilerf wrote: »
    How come in some tag team matches they hold on to rope to lean forward and in some they don't whilst waiting for a tag

Another of the rules that is only obeyed when it suits. Technically, you're not allowed tag in if you weren't holding the rope. It is almost never used today but it was often used by the Road Warriors. Hawk would struggle and struggle and eventually make the tag, only for the referee to disallow it because Animal was not holding the tag rope.

As for why some hold it today, I'm guessing it depends on how they were trained. A lot of guys would have been trained by wrestlers who wrestled when the rule was enforced so it was passed down to them. Think it stopped being used around the time of the Attitude era so a lot of those guys wouldn't pass it down to anyone they train.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The tag rope had begun to he used again, and quite regularly too, but it appears to have been dropped in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cena almost always uses it when he's in tag matches.

To ref a match as legit you need rules and afaik no rulebook is forthcoming, does it exist in WWE?

To ref a match as legit you need rules and afaik no rulebook is forthcoming, does it exist in WWE?

Exactly, I don't see referees are supposed to ref matches as legit if the rules change all the time.

Eric Young actually had one in TNA a few years ago :D

Think it was only ever mentioned once though. A shame really as it would be a great gimmick for a heel. Sandow could work wonders with it. Finding loads of obscure rules that see him always win or something.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Eric Young actually had one in TNA a few years ago :D

Think it was only ever mentioned once though. A shame really as it would be a great gimmick for a heel. Sandow could work wonders with it. Finding loads of obscure rules that see him always win or something.

Cornette mentioned this on Jim Ross' podcast recently, that without clear rules and some consistency it's hard for heels to get over when they break the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

How popular or unpopular was the 6 sided ring for TNA talent towork in? And for new comers who had never worked it before?

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    How popular or unpopular was the 6 sided ring for TNA talent towork in? And for new comers who had never worked it before?

Wasn't popular with Hogan. AAA out of Mexico had used it before TNA.

Advertisement