Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Wasn't popular with Hogan. AAA out of Mexico had used it before TNA.

When did AAA use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

With the exception of Hogan, I've never heard much in the way of complaints about it. Obviously they would need a while to get used to it, but once they do, it should be a benefit for them due to having more room and more angles to perform moves in.
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    When did AAA use it?

They still do. I think they swap between six and four depending on the event.

Whats the deal with Rowan's sheep mask? I like it but how did it originate/come about?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wyatt had a little lamb,
    Its fleece as white as snow.
    And everywhere that Wyatt went,
    The lamb....was sure....to.....go....

(Guess :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Whats the deal with Rowan's sheep mask? I like it but how did it originate/come about?

I would a assume a poke at how people can be sheep and will just follow a leader without question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Why/when did WWE stop involving the top wrestlers in occasional matches for the 'lesser' belts (eg tag titles etc)?

I've been watching some of the PPV's from the attitude era and at one Shawn Michael was World Champ and European Champ. In another PPV Stone Cold & Undertaker win the tag titles.

I think it'd be far more interesting if the top guys today were occasionally in the mix for the 'lesser' titles as I think it'd give more prestige to those titles and as a result the lower card wrestlers who'd generally hold those titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Why/when did WWE stop involving the top wrestlers in occasional matches for the 'lesser' belts (eg tag titles etc)?

I've been watching some of the PPV's from the attitude era and at one Shawn Michael was World Champ and European Champ. In another PPV Stone Cold & Undertaker win the tag titles.

I think it'd be far more interesting if the top guys today were occasionally in the mix for the 'lesser' titles as I think it'd give more prestige to those titles and as a result the lower card wrestlers who'd generally hold those titles.

Ric Flair and Triple H wrestled fir the IC strap back in 2005. That's the last time I cam remember made main eventers wrestling for secondary titles.

Bit if infi on Michaels: he fake retired in early 1997 and forfeited the title, came back a few months later and joined Austin in his feuded with Austin against the Harts hence that tag title win. He screwed Davey Boy in England and had him booked to win the Euro title which made no sense.

Austin and Taker were feuding in 1998 when they won the tag straps. That is apparently an angle that Vince loves. HBK and Cena won them in 2007 also when they were feuding

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

As Ape mentioned you get a few feuds involving the IC belt which get some attention, but WWF's midcard belts took a backseat as soon as WCW arrived in 2001 with their world title. Then in 2005 WWE launched the Money in the Bank match, which puts emphasis on the holders until they cash it in. WWE are generally only capable of promoting ~3 storylines at a time so mid-card and the tag division don't figure in. Now that the WWE & World titles have merged there is a spot for another storyline, but it's unlikely to go to lesser belts.

Just fyi, shawn only held the Euro belt to get it over (although he treated it like a joke) and the 2-man power trip with H and Austin was more just to collect all the belts, rather than actual emphasis on those championships!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I think another reason HBK was given the Euro strap was so he could be booked as winning every championship in the Federation. It used to be called the Triple Crown before the Euro Strap was introduced (Tag, Intercontinental & WWF Champion)

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I think another reason HBK was given the Euro strap was so he could be booked as winning every championship in the Federation. It used to be called the Triple Crown before the Euro Strap was introduced (Tag, Intercontinental & WWF Champion)

Bulldog was booked and told he was going over. HBK flexed his backstage muscle and had the finish changed. Bulldog had dedicated the match to his sister who suffered from cancer iirc.

Finish made no sense booking-wise as it didn't garner much heat stateside and they never did another show in England where heel Michaels was beaten. One Night Only was basically a house show in terms of WWF canon and babyfaces usually win at houseshows. Bulldog was suppossed to be the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just on the main eventers holding the tag straps while feuding. Cena is always in this. As mentioned, he headlined WM23 opposite HBK in 2007 while both held the tag titles. More recently he had nothing reigns with Batista, Otunga and Miz which lasted from a few hours to a few days. Just a device to add heat to the feuds he was instead the time. "Can the tag team champions co-exist, King?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Are these recognizable fans like the Brock Lesnar guy invited to shows by WWE?

Seems like an expensive hobby following them around the country. I know they are not at every show but they seem to pop up quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

I think it's probably when they set up the World Heavyweight Championship in 2002. Before that there was only one top title and the IC belt sort of was thought as the secondary title. Then when they got a second world title, the midcard titles became a little redundant and they got dropped for a while. I think when the IC and US titles were brought back they didn't have as much importance as they had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kolido wrote: »
    Are these recognizable fans like the Brock Lesnar guy invited to shows by WWE?

Seems like an expensive hobby following them around the country. I know they are not at every show but they seem to pop up quite a lot.

The so-called Sign Guy (below) has a job that allows him to travel all around the USA. He is known to WWE at this stage so perhaps he has a hook for great seats the whole time. He's even been interviewed by them on WWE.com and gets a good mention in Batista's book.

l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Can't remember Sign Guy's story exactly, but supposedly at one point they were enjoying his stuff so much they offered to pay for his tickets but he declined.\

His Twitter account is pretty good for fans sending him images of his best stuff from different shows. https://twitter.com/RickWWESignGuy

Frank the WWE clown is apparently going out with Noelle foley. Lucky guy!

Frank the WWE clown is apparently going out with Noelle foley. Lucky guy!

Frank who?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I think it was mostly just to get heat in the early days of DX. He won it by beating the home country hero British Bulldog at a UK PPV One Night Only. Bret Hart wrote in his book that he thought Shawn had gone too far that night and was disrespectful to Bulldog and the UK audience (this was a couple of months before the screwjob) especially considering Bulldog was part of Hart's group backstage. It was one example of Bret taking what Shawn did on tv to heart.

The way it was insinuated in his book was that Bret felt that Shawn and Hunter were using their backstage power to humiliate their backstage enemies on tv.

It could be considered an example of the "it's still real to me" attitude Bret often shows but to be fair, DX's early feuds were very one-sided with no payback from the babyface; at least until Austin beat Michaels at WrestleMania 14 and even then Shawn had to be convinced.

Frank who?

A Chicago lad who shows up to nearly every show like sign guy, Lesnar guy and WWE's "biggest fan". He dresses as a clown and sits ringside with the other lads from above (and Mick Foleys daughter afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Omackeral wrote: »
    The so-called Sign Guy (below) has a job that allows him to travel all around the USA. He is known to WWE at this stage so perhaps he has a hook for great seats the whole time. He's even been interviewed by them on WWE.com and gets a good mention in Batista's book.

I met him at Mania 24, sound enough guy.

You'd often see a few regulars, especially at stuff like Old School Raw and the post-Mania Raw. Or the couple who always wear luminous tracksuits, like yellow and pink, they were in the front row of a few Manias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I think the best fans ever were those guys dressed as referees, in the front row, who would get up and shout whenever an obvious 2 count was coming up

Anyone have pictures of these guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Why is Jack swagger "Bigg Hoss"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Why is Jack swagger "Bigg Hoss"?

Hoss is also a professional wrestling term, slang for a large professional wrestler with a well-built body, but often with little technical wrestling ability and sometimes not much charisma. Hosses are nearly always disliked by the smark community. They are hired mainly for their size. A model example of this is The Great Khali. Also in this category are super-heavyweight wrestlers who formerly had considerable skills in their prime but were later considered hosses such as André the Giant, Giant Baba, Stan Hansen, and even Hulk Hogan is often considered a hoss in his current state.

http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/funnywrestlers/Hoss.htm

Swagger is quite hossy.

and Hoss Funk?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: When they're putting together the order for a show (say an episode of RAW) is there a very precise formula/rulebook they continually follow based on past results (ie 'always introduce the new guy before the main event') or is just a sort of intuitive thing they make up on the day right before they go out?

Same questions extends to the characters in the roster. Is it important to them to always have characters to fit into particular segments, especially the non-storyline stuff (eg WWE must *ideally* have a 'camp' character, a 'patriotic' character, a 'funky' character, a 'comic relief' character etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

When was the last time a title was dropped on a PPV and then won back on Raw the next night?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Wrestlemania 29 I think. Miz beat Barrett for the IC title, and then lost it back to Barrett the next night on Raw.

Q: When they're putting together the order for a show (say an episode of RAW) is there a very precise formula/rulebook they continually follow based on past results (ie 'always introduce the new guy before the main event') or is just a sort of intuitive thing they make up on the day right before they go out?

Same questions extends to the characters in the roster. Is it important to them to always have characters to fit into particular segments, especially the non-storyline stuff (eg WWE must *ideally* have a 'camp' character, a 'patriotic' character, a 'funky' character, a 'comic relief' character etc)

These pages from a recent Raw script suggest yes to at least some of your questions....

6iiMPb_thumb.jpg 5YwVcE_thumb.jpg 5Rk5wj_thumb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

jaykhunter wrote: »
    and Hoss Funk?

Wasn't that dory funk jr ?

Advertisement