Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

After seeingthe Orton pic in the news thread, I had to ask this one...

If a talent were let go for drug use, after their 3 strikes, generally how long is given before they can re-apply for their job? Would we see Orton back as a surprise Rumble entrant or generally how does it work in the WWE? Just whether it is actually good for business or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Cianan2 wrote: »

If a talent were let go for drug use, after their 3 strikes, generally how long is given before they can re-apply for their job? Would we see Orton back as a surprise Rumble entrant or generally how does it work in the WWE? Just whether it is actually good for business or not?

I doubt someone at Cena or Orton's level would actually be fired. I can't think off hand of people who were fired after 'three strikes' and re-hired. Iirc, Jeff Hardy was let go in 2002/2003 for drugs and returned in about 2006.

As you say, 'what is best for business' would likely trump their policy if someone was a proven draw they would return eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Well.... the whole 'Wellness Program' is a con. But it's a multi-layered con.
    Quite a few former WWE wrestlers have shared their insights about it. The one fact stated that always remains the same is that if you have a doctors prescription you won't get a strike :pac: Painkillers.... even steroids. As long as you have that note.

But of course top guys aren't tested too. Take Cena... same great body for years. But it should be noted that Randy Orton has already recieved 3 strikes. Still wasnt fired. These strikes were punishment to Orton.

The reality is that WWE hardly resigns talent they let go in recent years. So if someone got fired by WWE due to the 3 strike rule, its because they don't want them anymore.

The 'testosterone replacement therapy' issue in MMA/UFC at the minute is interesting. It's a similar thing inasmuch as fighters/pro-wrestlers who are a proven draw will probably end up fighting/wrestling somewhere and if the top companies think they will draw then they will (eventually) get booked.

Randy Orton is basically a made guy and would have to do something pretty dastardly to be fired and black-listed from WWE as B.A alluded to vis-a-visa his three strikes.

Going further back in time, Davey-Boy and Warrior were fired in 1992 for drugs/growth hormone. The formwr was re-hired in 1994 and the latter in 1996. This was after the steroid trial in mid-'94 had ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Are there any decent shoots/interviews/docs with Raven? Was always a big fan of his character and he always seemed like a very astute guy (apparently he's a member of mensa o_O) so would be interested in hearing his thoughts on the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

orestes wrote: »
    Are there any decent shoots/interviews/docs with Raven? Was always a big fan of his character and he always seemed like a very astute guy (apparently he's a member of mensa o_O) so would be interested in hearing his thoughts on the industry.

His first two volume one from RF Video from around 2003 and the first 3 or so ROH Secrets of the Ring series. Anything beyond that is a waste of time.

His patter there on is pretty repetitive. In general he isn't half as smart as he thinks he is. His later in ring career had some seriously dumb match structures. Likewise his Creative ideas have been either really samey, dated and HORRENDOUS whether it was bits and pieces in TNA or more recently in Billy Corgan's Resistance Pro Wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What's the story with Brad Maddox? Is he gone for real and ,if so, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Are there any wrestlers that prefer playing babyface than heel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

mxph3 wrote: »

Quite a lot would. Just most arent that great at it. Most obvious one (that is good at it) is Sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

they changed the policy but the old rule was that you couldn't be employed by wwe for a year after a 3rd strike.
    But of course top guys aren't tested too. Take Cena... same great body for years. But it should be noted that Randy Orton has already recieved 3 strikes. Still wasnt fired. These strikes were punishment to Orton.

batista in an interview with the observer in 2011 claims he was regularly tested during his first run (when he was arguably number 2 guy in the company) and had to give samples in front of a panel.. the interview is behind a paywall but a good listen http://www.f4wonline.com/component/content/article/21018-june-15-observer-radio-with-big-dave-batista-new-gym-in-tampa-wwe-career-and-memories-triple-h-feud-his-awesome-clothes-strikeforce-negotiations-best-and-worst-matches-punjabi-prison-so-much-more
    mxph3 wrote: »

mysterio clearly does. i remember someone asked him an interview last year if there was a chance he would turn heel and he said he didn't like playing a heel character.

• Advertisement

Playing heel in WWE typicaly meant fewer royalties in merchandise money.

Afaik, Bradshaw demanded that there be no t-shirts for him when he was heel as JBL because he felt that heels shouldn't have people wearing their merch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

When was the last time Michael Cole was actually on the JBL & Cole Show on YouTube? And is there a reason why?

What extra stuff has he been up to lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I could be imagining this, but he seemed to stop being on the show around the time he started doing the sit down interviews with Triple H.

Can anyone remember the back story to this? I have heard/read two different versions, one where the spot was Austin's idea and the other (more likely) that it was Owen's idea to do the move and Austin was hesitant particularly because he had put on some weight.

Owen had done the move previously most notably at Wrestlemania against Bret but he did it inverted to landed on his knees. I heard Lance Storm recently talking about how the correct way to take a (normal) piledriver is for the person taking the move to put their hands behind the other persson's knees so that they arch up and prevent what happened here where Austin's head was beneath Owen's legs.

Who actually came up with the concept of the MITB ladder match? Kayfabe wise it's Jericho, and I'm pretty sure it was actually him anyway but for some reason I have Matt Hardy's name in my head.

To this day I think the tombstone piledriver is one of the most dangerous moves in pro-wrestling. In fact, you hardly see it in matches. Pre-Austin incident even.

There is no need for it. Due to the nature of the move you can't post off the guy because you have to wrap your arms around his waist so he can support your weight. Right there is potential risk of injury. Not to mention such a beefy guy like Austin taking it.

But I always question why Owen never arc'ed his back more :confused:

Who actually came up with the concept of the MITB ladder match? Kayfabe wise it's Jericho, and I'm pretty sure it was actually him anyway but for some reason I have Matt Hardy's name in my head.

Reports state that both on screen and off Jericho came up with the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Can anyone remember the back story to this? I have heard/read two different versions, one where the spot was Austin's idea and the other (more likely) that it was Owen's idea to do the move and Austin was hesitant particularly because he had put on some weight.

it's bizarre to think that five years before this Austin broke Masahiro Chono's neck in pretty much the exact same way...it's freaky if you look at Chono's neck/upper back at around the 16 second mark it almost looks like seeing a crease form as the spine is compressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Jericho said on one of his recent podcasts that he came up with the ladder match for Mania with the winner being given a shot at the title the following night on Raw. One of the backstage producers (can't remember who) said it would be better as a 12-month contract to be cashed at any time and it was Vince then who wanted it to a be an actual physical briefcase then just a slip of paper or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Forgive me if this was explained on commentary (I tune out when Cole,King and Bradshaw are dribbling on) but why couldn't someone actually grab one or both of the titles during the ladder match?

Did it have to be taken down with that yellow thing or could someone not just climb the ladder and pull a belt like a normal ladder match?

• Advertisement

Forgive me if this was explained on commentary (I tune out when Cole,King and Bradshaw are dribbling on) but why couldn't someone actually grab one or both of the titles during the ladder match?

Did it have to be taken down with that yellow thing or could someone not just climb the ladder and pull a belt like a normal ladder match?

The belts were on what was basically a small coat hanger, which was hooked onto the rope that normally holds the belts. Previously (tag matches) you would have had to take down one belt and the bell would ring while you took down the second. This time around you just had to grab the hanger holding the two belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'll ask this one again. Anyone know Brad Maddox's status as of now? Is he just written of tv? Is he gonna become a wrestler again? And yes, I know about the cave...

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'll ask this one again. Anyone know Brad Maddox's status as of now? Is he just written of tv? Is he gonna become a wrestler again? And yes, I know about the cave...

I actually searched up the cave thing you mentioned. Had no clue about it. Seriously Brad? You are stuck in a cave lol ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The belts were on what was basically a small coat hanger, which was hooked onto the rope that normally holds the belts. Previously (tag matches) you would have had to take down one belt and the bell would ring while you took down the second. This time around you just had to grab the hanger holding the two belts.

I take it that the belts were welded closed in some way so he had celebrate by holding the hanger. At least that's how it looked before they went off-air.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I assumed they were securely closed in come way as well to allow times when they were hanging on to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

When did Bo Dallas become heel in NXT or when did the fans start turning. Gonna watch a bit of NXT on the Network to see him in all his glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think he turned heel around the time he won NXT championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

veganrun wrote: »
    I thought it might be interesting to start a thread where we can ask different questions about wrestling. :)

I was watching a match earlier and was wondering, the referee is probably told before the match who is going to win. But how does he know when to count 3 and when to count 2? I mean he will know who is going to win, but is he told the finish ahead of time too?

I remember reading somewhere before (probably here) that the Referees in WWE are told to work the match as a shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

How do they time crowd run-ins? I've seen so many times that someone legs it in through the crowd to break up a pin and they get there just in time.

Wonder how they time it so well. Is the guy sitting in the crowd or something?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    When did Bo Dallas become heel in NXT or when did the fans start turning. Gonna watch a bit of NXT on the Network to see him in all his glory.

The fans were turning on him in NXT's predecessor FCW. Where Bo was booked Cena level strong.

Advertisement