Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Can someone recommend a good 'warts and all' wrestling biography? I'm looking for something more from the pov of an American promoter (rather than any particular wrestler) and I think I'd probably be interested in something that dealt with the work in the '70s and '80s if possible. I guess I'm looking for something that recounts the 'business' end of wrestling show-business rather than the 'show' side.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Can someone recommend a good 'warts and all' wrestling biography? I'm looking for something more from the pov of an American promoter (rather than any particular wrestler) and I think I'd probably be interested in something that dealt with the work in the '70s and '80s if possible. I guess I'm looking for something that recounts the 'business' end of wrestling show-business rather than the 'show' side.

Thanks.

Would this be along the lines of what you're looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Bluegrass-Brawlers-Professional-Wrestling-Louisville/dp/1500147656

I didn't know it existed 'til about 2 hours ago (it's only been out a couple weeks), but I'm looking forward to having a crack at it when time permits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The whole thing with Daniel Bryn just made me wonder, roughly how much do WWE normally exagerrate injuries for dramatic effect/stpryline purposes?

I don't mean when someone is kayfabe injured to get off tv, I mean when someone is legit injured and rehabbing? Cena and HHH spring to mind, like HHH walking out of the ring on his fukked quad and his doctors saying it shouldn't be possible, or Cena walking out of a hospital the day after surgery a broken neck, that kinda thing. This probably belongs more in the random wrestling thoughts thread, as I assume it's done on case by case basis for whtever they're tryinbg to accomplish, but was just wondering if anyone has any good exmples of that kind of thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

It happens in most sports so a Wrestler can their heroic return. Doctors can cover their arse malpractice wise by over stating the return date.

orestes seems to be working his way through the 7 stages of grief with that question. :P

Depends massively really. A Rugby League player for example suffered a ruptured testicle and didn't notice til after the match even though it happened in the first half. I managed to limp around on a dislocated knee one time. Other times a blister on my foot has me sat down for hours :P "Neck surgery" and "back surgery" are very vague terms as well so being able to hop along straight afterwards depends on the specifics of the injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Depends massively really. A Rugby League player for example suffered a ruptured testicle and didn't notice til after the match even though it happened in the first half. I managed to limp around on a dislocated knee one time. Other times a blister on my foot has me sat down for hours :P "Neck surgery" and "back surgery" are very vague terms as well so being able to hop along straight afterwards depends on the specifics of the injury.

Yeah, adrenalin will carry you through injuries and you won't realise how bad they are.

Similarly I once shredded some skin from my foot in a sparring match (TKD) and continued dancing around on it like nothing was wrong. After we were done I'd noticed the trail of blood and realised what had happened, suddenly it hurt like hell and I could barely stand on it. :pac:

Yeah, adrenalin will carry you through injuries and you won't realise how bad they are.

Similarly I once shredded some skin from my foot in a sparring match (TKD) and continued dancing around on it like nothing was wrong. After we were done I'd noticed the trail of blood and realised what had happened, suddenly it hurt like hell and I could barely stand on it. :pac:

Adrenalin has a huge amount to do with it, the human body just being weird has as well :P Mate of mine ****ed two of his tendons in his thigh, waited too long to get it seen to and has been told they can't re-attach properly. All he can do is build up the surrounding muscles to make up for it. Without seeing the leg you wouldn't think there was anything wrong, when you hear what happened it doesn't make sense that he can go for a few miles of a run a few times a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Does KENTA speak english?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Does KENTA speak english?

Yes.

Going by everything I've ever read or heard not absolutely fluent but put it that this way - he knows a lot for a primarily Japan based Japanese Wrestler.

At one point he was viewed as a ROH regular rather than a Japanese import as ROH would use him so extensively AKA he totally integrated himself. As a general rule in the ring wrestler to wrestler Wrestling is more of a universal language than you think. In NXT he will be Wrestling/training with absolutely rookies and not well travelled Wrestlers though. So wait and see I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

No need. They'll just have him and a returning Maddox as the new Regal/Tajiri. Or just have him as Smackdown's new number 1 announcer.

But seriously, on that note, how well do wrestlers need to know the language of the country they're signed to? I'm sure to make calls during the match they need to be able to communicate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Postoffice123

My mam is due an upgrade to her phone on O2 but she doesn't want a new one, so my dad said that I could get her upgrade even though I am not on O2, I am on Three.
    Will O2 let me get her upgrade even though I am not on O2? And how will I do it?

Please help!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

My mam is due an upgrade to her phone on O2 but she doesn't want a new one, so my dad said that I could get her upgrade even though I am not on O2, I am on Three.
    Will O2 let me get her upgrade even though I am not on O2? And how will I do it?

Please help!
    Thanks

Think you're on the wrong forum mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    How many real life feuds have their been? Do the wrestlers actually get on well back stage?

I no Bret Hart and HBK hated each other, Warrior/Hogan, Edge/Hardy.

I cant imagine Punk being best buddies with Trips/Bootisa/Orton?

If this was the case would wrestlers trust each other in the ring say in a TLC/No holds barred match?

In wrestling you are expected to be professional in the ring. Despite what ever legitimate issues you have towards someone. You are giving that person your body and vice versa.
    Generally when said two people who legit hate each other work a match... it will be more snug and the odd stiff shot will be thrown in. Bookers use this to their advantage from time to time if they want a hard hitting match or fued.

Of course, there are scumbags in wrestling too. Many a wrestler has been "accidently" dropped on his head or carelessly bumped. It happens. But as for WWE you would never see that. It's bad for business. It looks bad for WWE. You would get chewed out big time if not fired.

As for legit issues between two wrestlers? I reckon thousands over the years :pac: Wrestling is a weird business. Not shaking hands with someone gives some enough reason to have heat. lol. Just not all become known like Bret Hart and HBK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How come CM Punk was allowed keep his name when he signed for WWE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

gimmick wrote: »
    How come CM Punk was allowed keep his name when he signed for WWE?

It was before WWE started doling out new names for everybody. Also Heyman lobbied to have him untouched and WWE thought he wouldn't make it out of OVW so keeping the indie name was no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Any news on Taker since Mania? He was supposed to do some podcast with SCSA but I heard no more of it. Will he be back or is he gone for good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I reckon we'll get two more matches out of him.

Possibly both against Sting.

Winning at Mania and then losing at Summerslam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Degag wrote: »
    Any news on Taker since Mania? He was supposed to do some podcast with SCSA but I heard no more of it. Will he be back or is he gone for good?

Last I heard, he was still pretty banged up. That was on the Talk Is Jericho podcast cohosted by Edge, where Paul Heyman was the guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Now that the streak is no longer an issue, surely they let him go out against Cena? The result doesn't matter now and would be a far better match than Sting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Now that the streak is no longer an issue, surely they let him go out against Cena? The result doesn't matter now and would be a far better match than Sting.
    Not disagreeing that a match vs Cena wouldn't be better (it would) but I think Sting vs Taker is just one of those absolutely amazing fantasy matches that it would be better to have that than Cena vs Taker (if Taker competes again of course).

• Advertisement

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Not disagreeing that a match vs Cena wouldn't be better (it would) but I think Sting vs Taker is just one of those absolutely amazing fantasy matches that it would be better to have that than Cena vs Taker (if Taker competes again of course).

The problem is, the match would probably suck. Do you really want to tarnish the legacy of both guys and the whole idea of a feud between the two? 10 years ago it probably would have been amazing, but not in 2015. I'd much rather Undertaker produces one last great match rather than going out with a whimper.

The problem is, the match would probably suck. Do you really want to tarnish the legacy of both guys and the whole idea of a feud between the two? 10 years ago it probably would have been amazing, but not in 2015. I'd much rather Undertaker produces one last great match rather than going out with a whimper.
    Meh. I don't know. Taker was sh1t against Lesnar because he was concuss about 5 minutes in. Sting looked decent in his last match at TNA. I don't think it'd be as bad as you think. Also, the things you could do with the entrances would be fecking amazing. You can't honestly say you wouldn't mark out in hearing perhaps two of the most iconic themes of all time being played back-to-back in perhaps the most wanted fantasy match of all time. Also, unlike last year, when The Streak was still in tact, you cannot honestly say who would win. That, for me anyway, gives me goosebumps just thinking about.

Again, if Taker was to come back for one more match I would be very happy with him against either Cena (as long as Taker won, I do not want another torch passed to a man who probably has 3 years left in him) or Sting

For me, both guys need a certain type of opponent. Undertaker vs Triple H? Great matches. vs Punk? Decent match. vs Lesnar? Pretty bad. Cena would be more Triple H than the other two there so I'd expect a top class match. Sting is the same. He also needs a certain type of opponent. The problem is, the type of opponent they need is not each other. Unfortunately, neither man is able to go by themselves. They need their opponent to do a lot of the work.

For me:
    Undertaker vs Cena: Potential MOTYC.
    Undertaker vs Sting: Awful, and sad.

At this stage, I think Sting teaming with Undertaker would be the best outcome.

For me, both guys need a certain type of opponent. Undertaker vs Triple H? Great matches. vs Punk? Decent match. vs Lesnar? Pretty bad. Cena would be more Triple H than the other two there so I'd expect a top class match. Sting is the same. He also needs a certain type of opponent. The problem is, the type of opponent they need is not each other. Unfortunately, neither man is able to go by themselves. They need their opponent to do a lot of the work.

For me:
    Undertaker vs Cena: Potential MOTYC.
    Undertaker vs Sting: Awful, and sad.

It's really hard for me to argue against the Cena argument, because I would love to see Taker vs Cena. But I still would prefer Sting vs Taker, simply because of the sheer awesomeness it would be at the start and the way the result could not be even predicted.

Maybe even just having a Tag Team match with Sting and Undertaker on different sides, let it build and build and build with one of them being in the ring against the other opponent or something until finally, their partners, after taking a bump, crawl to their corners, take Taker and Sting in and you just have them go at it hell for leather for 5 minutes. Imagine how awesome that would be. Or even an elimination tag match and have them as the last two guys in there. Would be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'd still mark out for that massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im sork Mrkiscool, Sting and Taker would be an all time fantasy match in 99, but not now. Both men are well past it and it would be a huge let down IMO.

Its at least 5 years too late.

attachment.php?attachmentid=193482&d=1391373725

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Just thinking about this earlier and maybe my short-term memory is just shot but when was the last time the belt was used as a foreign object?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Do wwe own stings theme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Do wwe own stings theme?

It was WCW made. So you think they would do.
    Oddly enough Chris Jericho's WCW music has been dubbed over with his "Break the Walls Down" WWE theme on the network. But that too was surely WCW made :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

It was WCW made. So you think they would do.
    Oddly enough Chris Jericho's WCW music has been dubbed over with his "Break the Walls Down" WWE theme on the network. But that too was surely WCW made :confused:

Can someone post a link too his wcw theme? I only seem too remember his tna theme

Advertisement