Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What wrestlers have eliminated themselves from a battle royal or Royal Rumble, without being under orders from someone else?
    I remember Gail Kim eliminated herself from a divas battle royal once.
    And think The Great Khali did it unintentionally when he stepped over the top rope as normal to get out for some reason.

Any others?

Macho man eliminated himself from the rumble in 92 by jumping over the top rope to get to jake roberts. I took it that he got caught up in the moment and wasn't meant to do it. The reason I think that is the commentators go silent and then say he needed to be thrown over the top rope and are trying to cover it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Are you a Roll-ins or Rawl-ins person?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Rawl-ins. Sounds weird the other way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Rawl-ins. Sounds weird the other way

Loved how Leo Kruger would say "Roll-ins"

Roll-ins man myself.

Likewise Henry Rollins.

rovert wrote: »
    Loved how Leo Kruger would say "Roll-ins"

That's how I read Roll-ins. In Krugers voice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Kolido wrote: »
    How did this work though, wasn't raw is war the 2nd hour of Raw?

Sorry, I'm pedantic in calling it Raw is War as that was what the show was called at the time up until 2001 - post Septemer 11 the 'War' was dropped. For a period initially starting in 1997 when Monday Night Raw went two hours, the first hour was Raw is War, second hour was War Zone. There was a second intro promo video at the second hour with a separate commentary team.

After a while the whole show was just named Raw is War while they ocassionally mentioned being in the 'War Zone' similar to TNA's Impact Zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Sorry, I'm pedantic in calling it Raw is War as that was what the show was called at the time up until 2001 - post Septemer 11 the 'War' was dropped. For a period initially starting in 1997 when Monday Night Raw went two hours, the first hour was Raw is War, second hour was War Zone. There was a second intro promo video at the second hour with a separate commentary team.

After a while the whole show was just named Raw is War while they ocassionally mentioned being in the 'War Zone' similar to TNA's Impact Zone.

They still referred to the 2 one hours as RAW and RAW Zone for ratings purposes.
    Easily noticed on the name plates.

Wondering how they split the hours on the show currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Garseys wrote: »
    They still referred to the 2 one hours as RAW and RAW Zone for ratings purposes.
    Easily noticed on the name plates.

Wondering how they split the hours on the show currently?

I don't think there's any split now. It's all just Raw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It's all the one name, but you still see the signature at the end of every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: why does Jerry The King Lawler do Raw alongside Cole and JBL, but doesn't do Smackdown with them?

• Advertisement

Q: When was the last time there was bout of throwing from the crowd (typically half-finished sodas) at the end of a WWE PPV? By which I mean the crowd generally doing it rather than just one crackpot.

I recall seeing one mid-90s PPV where Shawn Michaels really set the crowd off after winning a title and the projectiles were coming thick and fast. I think it might have been the UK 'One Night Only' PPV from 1997.

Also Wrestlemania 2000 had a good amount thrown at Vince McMahon at the end.

However since I got back into watching new wrestling in the past year or so I haven't seen anything like this from the crowd. Even when the WWE were teasing the crowd during the Daniel Bryan run nothing like this seemed to happen. Are the crowds these days just not invested enough to get that worked up about a bad result?

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: why does Jerry The King Lawler do Raw alongside Cole and JBL, but doesn't do Smackdown with them?

That's all he's contracted to do afaik. I think Lagana/Bauer/Greenfield (one of the ex-WWE Writers anyway) said that he legit didn't watch Smackdown and didn't really know the guys on the show.

Anyway Lawler hasn't done Smackdown since 2002. Guess he doesn't like working Tuesdays. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Hematocyte wrote: »

However since I got back into watching new wrestling in the past year or so I haven't seen anything like this from the crowd. Even when the WWE were teasing the crowd during the Daniel Bryan run nothing like this seemed to happen. Are the crowds these days just not invested enough to get that worked up about a bad result?

throwing stuff never really happened in wwe that was more wcw. before an event starts wwe have the ring announcer state that if fans throw anything into the ring they will be ejected which is why you don't see it happen. wwe also visit arenas where security are very heavy handed..i remember get pushed over by a security guy in msg back in 2002 for trying to take a photo!

American crowds used to throw stuff at the Hart Foundation in 1997 which I believe is the reason why they all wore the leather jackets - for protection.

I think JBL might have had some things thrown at him during his 2004 run as champion.

Heel heat to the degree where people bottle the ring is rare but there's also the thing at WWE shows that rosie mentioned.

A man threw a bottle at wade Barrett cutting a promo in an England Jersey talking about Ireland. He was then thrown out of the arena (along with his five year old)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Hope they don't do it like TNA did last year at Lockdown. Them all throwing the exact same type of bottle, course its a coincidence

Hope they don't do it like TNA did last year at Lockdown. Them all throwing the exact same type of bottle, course its a coincidence

Unlikely, but could have been the only type of bottle sold at the venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What do the wrestlers refer to each other as backstage/on the road.

I take it Triple H is called Hunter by most? Would that go for Taker too or would people call him Mark? What about the likes of Zack Ryder or Seth Rollins? Two guys with completely fabricated ring names yet they wouldn't be nicknames. I know Shawn Michaels was always called Shawn by his family and friends despite his name being Michael. Any body care to share their insights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Omackeral wrote: »

I take it Triple H is called Hunter by most? Would that go for Taker too or would people call him Mark? What about the likes of Zack Ryder or Seth Rollins? Two guys with completely fabricated ring names yet they wouldn't be nicknames. I know Shawn Michaels was always called Shawn by his family and friends despite his name being Michael. Any body care to share their insights?

That's something I've always wondered myself.

I've generally assumed guys probably use some derivation of ring names most of the time just to stay in the habit and not slip up on camera.

The Shawn Michaels thing makes sense though because wasn't Shawn his middle name IRL?

I once met Joe E Legend (who had a short run as a backstage comedy geek named Just Joe in 2000) and asked him this, if he called Edge, Rhino and Christian by those names and he said of course not, that it would be like calling Christian Bale Batman. They are friends who trauned together however.

Iirc I think I heard one of the ex-writers say somewhere that backstage they're expected to use gimmick names. Would make it easier in creative meetings and the like I suppose.

• Advertisement

Would make it easier in creative meetings and the like I suppose.

Monkey #1: Right lads, what are we doing with Nick?
    Everyone else: Who?
    Monkey #1: Ehh... Dolph....
    Everyone else: Who?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

On Total Divas they go by their real names backstage.

mxph3 wrote: »
    On Total Divas they go by their real names backstage.

except for Fandango.:pac:

I know Cabana, Punk, Domino and Gallows go by their ring names. I'd say a lot do. It's not like calling Bale by Batman. They're more like nicknames for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

I heard somewhere that they call each other by the name they introduce themselves as - for example, if HHH introduces himself as 'Hunter' then they call him that.

Likewise, everyone calls the Undertaker by that name or 'Taker' for short - except for Ric Flair who apparently calls him 'Mark' from when he introduced himself as Mean Mark Callous back in the day.

I heard that AJ Lee introduces herself as April so everyone calls her that.

Lord knows what someone with multiple gimmicks like Papa Shango goes by backstage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I do wonder can TNA use The Hardy Boys old theme song from WWE? Since it is production/stock music unless WWE holds the rights to that song.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Initially, it's whatever they refer to themselves when you introduce yourself. You're supposed to play it safe and use their gimmick name until they correct you (i.e. Undertaker). Wrestling is an extremely insecure, paranoid-about-respect business so saying the wrong thing (or not having the correct limp handshake) could easily end up getting you fired.

Q: This is going to sound bad, but I wondering does The Great Khali genuinely has 'learning difficulties' or some other problem (and I don't just mean inability to speak English)?

I ask I was watching a recent match (where he squashed Sandow in about 5 seconds on RAW) and after he had won the match the referee actually had to make an 'arms raised' gesture to inform Khali to raise his arms in victory. This didn't seem like 'character play' either. The ref seemed to be trying to keep his gesture small and unnoticed but it was completely obvious he was coaching Khali at this point.

Also (and It's hard to tell thanks to the shot choices) prior to the gesture I think the ref was probably saying something to Khali, but Khali appeared to be just staring blankly in his direction as though he didn't understand. I think that's why the ref might have resorted to the hand gesture.

You can see the incident here and make your own mind up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EajamR8Jz0&t=4m35s

Anyway, sorry if the tone of the question is bad, but I'm interested to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

^ Khali doesn't have a learning difficulty :P

To put it in a nice way he doesnt have a high level of aptitude for professional wrestling. But hey, lets be honest he doesnt have to. He is making very good money all because WWE like to have larger than life guys on it's roster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

By gimmick name or 'gimmick nick name' mostly. But in direct coversations their real name (if you choose to do so) It just avoids confusion.

Advertisement