Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The Bushwackers were kindergarden comedy at best. Great for the kids back in the day

Top stars have done mid-card comedy crap - Edge and Kurt Angle spring to mind.

Mid card Gold you mean! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Why did diesel's title win over Backlund take place at a house show rather than on television?

Kolido wrote: »
    Why did diesel's title win over Backlund take place at a house show rather than on television?

They wanted to put the belt on Diesel without hurting Bret and they used Backlund as a transitional champion.

Since this was 1994 and In Your House's didn't exist, there was no way to put the title on Diesel before Royal Rumble unless it was RAW, Superstars or a house show.

Since a Madison Square Garden house show was upcoming, Vince probably decided to stick it on him there, since it was the biggest show before the Rumble.

Vince obviously wanted a Bret/Diesel match before WrestleMania, so he decided to make it happen at the Rumble.

So Backlund dropped the title quickly, Diesel got the belt, defended it against Bret and went onto WrestleMania to take on Shawn Michaels.

EDIT : And I dont think they wanted to put recently face Diesel up against Ultra Face Bret so soon after turning Big Daddy Cool, for fear he will be seen as a heel

beakerjoe wrote: »
    They wanted to put the belt on Diesel without hurting Bret and they used Backlund as a transitional champion.

Since this was 1994 and In Your House's didn't exist, there was no way to put the title on Diesel before Royal Rumble unless it was RAW, Superstars or a house show.

Since a Madison Square Garden house show was upcoming, Vince probably decided to stick it on him there, since it was the biggest show before the Rumble.

Vince obviously wanted a Bret/Diesel match before WrestleMania, so he decided to make it happen at the Rumble.

So Backlund dropped the title quickly, Diesel got the belt, defended it against Bret and went onto WrestleMania to take on Shawn Michaels.

EDIT : And I dont think they wanted to put recently face Diesel up against Ultra Face Bret so soon after turning Big Daddy Cool, for fear he will be seen as a heel

Yeah that's what I figured also, just surprised it happened at a house show and not on Raw.

But as it happened at MSG it kinda makes a bit more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

The APA, Dulles and Haas/Benjamin are the only three mixed race tag titles holders I can think of in the WWE, would there be many more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Punk and Kofi

• Registered Users Posts: 33,810 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Rock & Sock Connection

Punk and Kofi

Kofi and Jason Evan Bourne

The sheild

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Kolido wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I figured also, just surprised it happened at a house show and not on Raw.

But as it happened at MSG it kinda makes a bit more sense.

beakerjoe is on the ball with his answer but the real impetus was Vince wanting a new Hulk Hogan and decided to recreate Hulk beating Iron Sheik for his first WWF title in Madison Square Garden with title win.that Diesel

Backlund was never going to be trusted as a headliner for any period of time as his style and matches in that position simply didn't work. Diesel wrestled Backlund in a handful of house show Title rematches. Diesel threw his hands up and used his clout to get Bob replaced by Jeff Jarrett.

On a funny note locally - on radio and print ads for example the Diesel-Backlund MSG match was advertised as no DQ, no count out and pinfall only. Meaning Backlund's Chicken Wing was a non-facor. Essentially the fans were uber transparently told DIESEL IS WINNING OKAY :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Otunga and Cena
    Otunga and McGillicutty

MVP and Matt Hardy

Owen Hart and Yokozuna

Tagiri and Eddie Guerrero

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Where are WWE going with the Paige / AJ angle? I see Rovert has posted a series of Tweets in the Pics thread between AJ & Paige.

Is Paige gonna become a stalker like the storyline between Trish & Mickie James back in the day? (Albeit a PG version - Imagine if Paige started wearing the same mini dresses that Mickie used to wear :eek:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Where are WWE going with the Paige / AJ angle? I see Rovert has posted a series of Tweets in the Pics thread between AJ & Paige.

Is Paige gonna become a stalker like the storyline between Trish & Mickie James back in the day? (Albeit a PG version - Imagine if Paige started wearing the same mini dresses that Mickie used to wear :eek:)

No idea. I think AJ is just playing mind games rather than booking a flight to the Isle of Lesbos. Main Event last night:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Why did Smackdown become exclusive show on Sky Sports?

Smackdown was my main source for WWE from 2001-2004 when it aired on Saturday mornings on Sky1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

mxph3 wrote: »
    Why did Smackdown become exclusive show on Sky Sports?

Smackdown was my main source for WWE from 2001-2004 when it aired on Saturday mornings on Sky1.

This is only a guess so please don't take it as fact!
    During the period of 2001-2004 Smackdown was the highest rated WWE show most weeks and it was awesome. Under the pen of Paul Heyman Smackdown was pulling out big numbers. I would imagine sky caught wind that Smackdown was becoming the better show and if they were pulling out big numbers in the states, surely fans would be willing to pay for sky sports to get to see the "A" show.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

How did Daniel Bryan injure his neck? Did it happen recently as the result of 1 particular move or is the result of years of wear and tear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Smackdown on Sky 1 on Saturday morning was a censored version so there was a still a bit of incentive to subscribe to Sports for the full version. There was a short period maybe around 2000 when SD aired uncut on Sky1 on Tuesday night at about 10pm.

Bryan's neck issue afaik is wear and tear over the years of pushing himself so hard. Also, that diving headbutt he did is known to cause neck problems. Harley Race warned wrestlers not to do it as it cause him problems. Same with Dynamite Kid and Benoit I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    How did Daniel Bryan injure his neck? Did it happen recently as the result of 1 particular move or is the result of years of wear and tear?

years of wear and tear id imagine, sure he has problems with the shoulders as well

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Which wrestlers in the current WWE roster wear shoe lifts? I'd guess Jericho does and possibly Seth Rollins. Any others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Which wrestlers in the current WWE roster wear shoe lifts? I'd guess Jericho does and possibly Seth Rollins. Any others?

im nearly 100% sure i read that Sheamus does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

And Kane too I remember reading on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Would they affect their balance? Be comfortable too walk in?

I am pretty sure even Kane does, his boots have about an inch of superfluous rubber on the soul.

Edit: Paige wrestles in Dr. Martens which I find weird. Gives her a bit of extra height hwever

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hematocyte wrote: »

I would imagine that the vast, vast majority of them to do some extent tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Stupid question that might not even have a proper answer, but why did Mistico/Sin Cara make so many mistakes/errors/botches in his time with WWE? And was he the same in Mexico? I presume not if he was deemed good enough for WWE to sign. Just watched the Botchamania tribute to him randomly on YouTube and he had some real cringeworthy moments.

Stupid question that might not even have a proper answer, but why did Mistico/Sin Cara make so many mistakes/errors/botches in his time with WWE? And was he the same in Mexico? I presume not if he was deemed good enough for WWE to sign. Just watched the Botchamania tribute to him randomly on YouTube and he had some real cringeworthy moments.

They wrestle a different style in Mexico. Ego coupled with the language barrier led to him not learning how WWE wrestlers work which gave us all them botches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Plus, he didn't go through developmental with NXT, which would have allowed him time to learn the "WWE Style" and get a feel for the ring, which is mostly larger in WWE than in other promotions.

Plus, lazy flute never bothered to learn English - couldn't have been easy communicating with him mid match!

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Plus, he didn't go through developmental with NXT, which would have allowed him time to learn the "WWE Style" and get a feel for the ring, which is mostly larger in WWE than in other promotions.

Plus, lazy flute never bothered to learn English - couldn't have been easy communicating with him mid match!

Think the WWE ring is differently sized to other rings and he was constantly out of position range for spots as a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Think the WWE ring is differently sized to other rings and he was constantly out of position range for spots as a result

I doubt the ring was the reason. He had a totally different style to the rest of the roster and his best matches were all against people who had a lot of expierence with that style.

Advertisement