Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I doubt the ring was the reason. He had a totally different style to the rest of the roster and his best matches were all against people who had a lot of expierence with that style.

Considering a few botches came from just his entrance and walking round the ring, can't blame it all on his opponents :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Considering a few botches came from just his entrance and walking round the ring, can't blame it all on his opponents :pac:

I was blaming him :pac:

The majority of his opponents were never exposed to anything that strays too far from the generic WWE style so they had no idea what to do when confronted with something different. Not their fault, it's just how WWE trains people. Going through development would have helped find some middle ground but WWE wanted their shiny new toy on TV right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Any good sites that have articles on wrestling, just stories people may not have known and the like.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I would imagine that the vast, vast majority of them to do some extent tbh.

You cynical bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I was blaming him :pac:

The majority of his opponents were never exposed to anything that strays too far from the generic WWE style so they had no idea what to do when confronted with something different .

wwe for the most part gave him opponents very versed in lucha or spanish speaking for the first year

his first two months on tv his opponents were primo, then he wrestled tyson kidd, bryan (who spent amount of time in mexico learning the style), chavo and finally had a match with ted dibiase jr. after that they put him in a series of tags until he wrestled christian, bourne, tyson kidd again, bryan again, sheamus, slater and then onto a major feud with hunico

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Any good sites that have articles on wrestling, just stories people may not have known and the like.

FSM sometimes puts up columns from previous issues

http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk

PWInsider is a semi-paywalled site but there's some decent free stuff

http://pwinsider.com

Wrestlingobserver.com is also behind a paywall but here's a lengthy piece Dave Meltzer wrote on the Montreal screwjob:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060406153712/http://www.brethart.com/facts.asp

Chris Harrington and David Bixenspan have written decent articles analysing the WWE this year on the bleacher report site and whatculture.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Have many wrestlers started out as pure jobbers before becoming stars?

I take it Matt Hardy would be one and maybe Sean Waltman. Probably more so for guys back in the 80's and 90's

Also, were jobbers contracted to promotions and or just paid on appearance basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Kolido wrote: »

I take it Matt Hardy would be one and maybe Sean Waltman. Probably more so for guys back in the 80's and 90's

Also, were jobbers contracted to promotions and or just paid on appearance basis?

Scotty 2 Hottie was just plain Scott Taylor in 95. Think Christopher Daniels was a WWE jobber too at some stage.

Justin Credible was PJ Walker for a good few years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Plenty of future star popped up on superstars and raw during the days when jobbers were jobbers.

Think D-Lo had a stint as an out-and-out jobber during the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mick Foley did it in the 80's for WWF as Jack Foley too.

Goldberg was just presented as just another local wrestler when he first appeared. Then the streak started. Cool booking actually.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »

Both Matt and Jeff Hardy worked as job guys in the WWF starting in about 1994. They were on Monday Night Raw a few times when there were squash matches on it.

Mick Foley worked squash matches for the WWF in the mid-80s. As mentioned before, many big stars worked squash matches as job guys early on. They would get experience of working with pros in front of a crowd, get a foot in the door so to speak, maybe get a chance to show some of their selling skills and they'd get maybe $100 for the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭srfc d16

Why was Savage used mainly as a commentator and not wrestler in his last few years in WWF?

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Why was Savage used mainly as a commentator and not wrestler in his last few years in WWF?

Vince thought he couldnt draw money anymore and felt he was too old.....

Yet Hogan was made champion. Ah Vince Logic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Vince thought he couldnt draw money anymore and felt he was too old.....

Yet Hogan was made champion. Ah Vince Logic

What!

I always thought he was injured or something. Learn something new everyday.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    What!

As far as I know, he was planning to have a family after WM7, settling down with Lizzy and getting off road, hence the stip at WM7 v the Warrior. Dont think he was injured.

When he returned to the ring he wasnt considered to be drawing great in his feud with Jake and Flair as well as his Summerslam Match with Warrior in 92.

I could be 100 percent wrong though.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    What!

Nope. It's one of the things they had a falling out over as Savage wanted to wrestle.

He did a few matches on Monday Night Raw in '93 '94 as well as at WrestleMania X. Bit stupid as a Savage/Bret Hart programme could have been good for the title.

Nope. It's one of the things they had a falling out over as Savage wanted to wrestle.

He did a few matches on Monday Night Raw in '93 '94 as well as at WrestleMania X. Bit stupid as a Savage/Bret Hart programme could have been good for the title.

Unlike Hogan smashing Yoko in 5 seconds to win. God I hate Hogan. I realize without him there would be no WWE but my god he was a selfish ego maniac. Still is mind you.

Does anyone know the story behind an attempt at unionising wrestlers in about the 1950's? I recall hearing about it a few months ago and Lou Thesz was involved somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Does anyone know the story behind an attempt at unionising wrestlers in about the 1950's? I recall hearing about it a few months ago and Lou Thesz was involved somehow.

I think Sgt Slaughter had notions of it too but I could be wrong. I definitely think they need a union, they have basically zero job security and are shafted as "contractors" rather than employees, the guy sweeping the arena after Raw probably has better job benefits.

Jesse Ventura was talking union in 1986 before WrestleMania and Hogan ratted him out. At least that's a story that has oft been repeated.

Definitely heard of some kind dispute around the 1940's-50's. I haven't read Thesz book but there's a Q&A on the Slam Canoe site where he says he tried getting a union going in Tennesse

• Advertisement

I'm surprised Jarrett never tried it. He was a big enough name to get noticed and was already blacklisted from WWE. Maybe that's what GFW will be since they have a tonne of working argeements but no roster or shows. An NWA type deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jesse Ventura was talking union in 1986 before WrestleMania and Hogan ratted him out. At least that's a story that has oft been repeated.

Definitely heard of some kind dispute around the 1940's-50's. I haven't read Thesz book but there's a Q&A on the Slam Canoe site where he says he tried getting a union going in Tennesse

If that is indeed true that wouldnt surprise me at all, Hogan is an absolute self serving piece of sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Would a union work tho?
    Wrestling has always been about updating and changing up the roster. Not to mention could you then have guys working at least 4 days a week? wouldn't the payoffs suffer too having benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,730 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Undertaker done, has he "retired"?

My brother was saying earlier it be great if he showed up at SS and cost Lesnar his title match

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Summerslams card is entirely made up of 1v1 matches. When was the last time this happened?

Q2: Also when was the last time a PPV had 2x divas matches?

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q2: Also when was the last time a PPV had 2x diva's matches?

Battlegound a few weeks ago :pac:

AJ vs Paige and Cameron vs Naomi (technically the preshow).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    My brother was saying earlier it be great if he showed up at SS and cost Lesnar his title match

As fun as that sounds, if you think about it for a few seconds... that would mean that CENAWINSLOL. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therickreport

Money In The Bank also had Paige vs Naomi and Summer vs Layla. oddly enough last year's SummerSlam also had two Diva matches, both featuring AJ Lee and Brie Bella

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Summerslams card is entirely made up of 1v1 matches. When was the last time this happened?
    For Summerslam, 2005. Other PPVs are proving more difficult to find. There's some that don't have tag matches all right, but do have stuff like triple threats/fatal four ways/elimination chamber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,136 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Have they abandoned the Kofi/Big E/Woods idea already?

Didn't read the smackdown spoilers but Kofi was on his own on Main Event

Advertisement