Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Have an IQ over 70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

mxph3 wrote: »
    How do wrestlers become Officials or Road Agents in a wrestling company? I never knew someone like Jamie Noble still had a job with the company till he started appearing in brawls as such.

Well... The role of a road agent is to put together the structure of matches and finishes. Thats why all road agents are ex-wrestlers. The idea is that if you were a good worker then you should make a good road agent.

But as for the process of who gets a position... it's all politics, dude. You're a active wrestler who retires but well liked? agent position offered. There is a new agents position opened and another agent or key member is lobbying for you? agents position offered. etc.

Tis' why so many former WWE guys don't wish to bury anyone in shoot interviews. Potential future Road Agents job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'm watching the first ever episode of Smackdown from 29/04/99 and just spotted a sign in the crowd that said

"89 days til Raw is Jericho"

I know Y2J debuted towards the end of 99 so was he active with WCW at this point ie April 99?

If so was it common knowledge that he was to sign with WWF?

The net would have been fairly prevalant at this point so I guess it's possible that the news had been circulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If memory serves me correct.... In December 1998, with several months left on his contract, Jericho decided not to resign with WCW when asked. Given his success it was a no brainer that he was signing with WWF. Let alone the fact that by not resigning it meant there was another offer on the table.

So WCW decided to job him out. He lost to Konnan at Starrcade 1998 (Also December) and the following month he was booked against Perry Saturn in stipulation match. If Saturn lost he would have to wear a dress. If Jericho lost he would "leave wcw for 90 days"

Here is the interesting thing.... Jericho was originally meant to lose that match but Saturn requested that he would do the job instead. Saturn has often said that by "being forced" to lose and wear a dress it would give him something to work with and stand out.

Jericho's last ppv match (might have even been his last tv apparence, cant remember) was against Perry Saturn at Uncensored 1999 (March)

So by April 1999 it was well known for 5 months at that point.

If memory serves me correct.... In December 1998, with several months left on his contract, Jericho decided not to resign with WCW when asked. Given his success it was a no brainer that he was signing with WWF. Let alone the fact that by not resigning it meant there was another offer on the table.

So WCW decided to job him out. He lost to Konnan at Starrcade 1998 (Also December) and the following month he was booked against Perry Saturn in stipulation match. If Saturn lost he would have to wear a dress. If Jericho lost he would "leave wcw for 90 days"

Here is the interesting thing.... Jericho was originally meant to lose that match but Saturn requested that he would do the job instead. Saturn has often said that by "being forced" to lose and wear a dress it would give him something to work with and stand out.

Jericho's last ppv match (might have even been his last tv apparence, cant remember) was against Perry Saturn at Uncensored 1999 (March)

So by April 1999 it was well known for 5 months at that point.

Gold star for you buddy, fantastic answer, thanks.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The thing I always liked about the Jericho situation is the fact that WCW offered him more money than WWF but he knew WWF were more likely to give him a push. This not long after all the former big names were holding out to see who would give them the most money. It was a nice change in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

When was the last time there was a multi-competitor Hell in a Cell match? The last few I remember watching were 1 v 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

DX fought Legacy in one in 2009 I believe

Screw it, here's the full list

CM Punk vs Ryback and Paul Heyman 2013
    CM Punk vs Alberto Del Rio Vs John Cena 2011
    DX vs Vince, Shane and Big Show 2006
    Kurt Angle vs The Rock vs The Undertaker vs HHH vs Steve Austin vs Rikishi 2000
    Undertaker and Steve Austin vs Mankind and Kane 1998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Big Bossman vs Al Snow vs A pack of flesh eating rottweilers, Kennel from Hell Unforgiven 1999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

While watching the last Monday Night War about the Austin era, I noticed when they talked about and showed the match against Owen where Austin got injured that they didn't say Owen's name once. Found it strange since it was actually a long enough segment. Is there a reason? Are they not legally allowed to mention him on WWE programming or something?

• Advertisement

Same reason he isn't in the HOF yet. His wife Martha sued them for 9million and put a block on them profiting from him.

I'm watching Raw from April 99 ATM and Owen has just come back as the Blazer.

On his return he cut a promo saying the WWF needed a hero (eerily reminiscent, perhaps intentionally, of Brets promos shortly before parting ways with the company) unaware that in 3 or 4 weeks he will be dead.

Brings a lump to my throat whenever he speaks. I've never seen the tribute show to him in full so no doubt I will be a mess watching that in the next week or two.

:(

Owen's name might have been mentioned in the Steve Austin documentary. The match was included on the Legacy DVD set.

They replayed some of the "tribute" Raw is War on the Livewire recap show the following weekend. I was in tears watching it. The Attitude Era podcast played a bit of it during an Owen Hart episode and it's pretty rough hearing Edge, Foley, Jarrett talk about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Is Paige the first member of the main roster to be born in the 90's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Is Paige the first member of the main roster to be born in the 90's?
    Nope, Bo Dallas was born in 1990 and was featured on Raw before she was. If we are counting proper call-ups then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Why didn't WWE put the belt on Luger in 93/94 when he was one of the top babyfaces?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Kolido wrote: »
    Why didn't WWE put the belt on Luger in 93/94 when he was one of the top babyfaces?

Story I heard is that they were going too but then he went out the night before, got drunk and started bragging about it and so they changed their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

How is this Friday the 15th Anniversary of Raw? On the Edge & Christian show it claimed the first episode was August 1999, though I may have misread that fact, but even so wikipedia puts the first episode of SD as April 1999. Isn't this 5 months late, or am I stoopid?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

April was the Pilot episode of Smackdown, it didnt start to air regularly until August. The WWE tends to hold off anniversary shows for when they need a ratings boost rather than the actual anniversary date.

Raw X and Raw 15 had a similar faith.

Deadlie wrote: »
    How is this Friday the 15th Anniversary of Raw? On the Edge & Christian show it claimed the first episode was August 1999, though I may have misread that fact, but even so wikipedia puts the first episode of SD as April 1999. Isn't this 5 months late, or am I stoopid?

Smackdown*

The April 1999 show was a "pilot". They used the Raw is War stage set which may have had a bit of blue. I would have thought the anniversary was in August not October however. Mind you this the same promotion who said Wrestlemania 10 (nine years after the first one) was "ten years in the making" and Mania 25 twenty four years after the first) was the 25th anniversary.
    Story I heard is that they were going too but then he went out the night before, got drunk and started bragging about it and so they changed their minds.

I read that story too but I'm not sure it is the case that Luger was booked to the win the belt and then the night before gave away the finish which was then changed. Pretty certain Bret was always booked to close the show with the belt. They had cooled off on Luger since the previous year as the attempt to capture lightning in a bottle and redo the Hogan character didn't work.

I think they did the co-winner thing at the Rumble to see who the crowd cheered for the most when their hand was raised.

Edit: just check Bret Hart's book and he says that Vince told him the night of the Royal Rumble that year that he would win the belt from Yokozuna.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ageyev wrote: »
    I read that story too but I'm not sure it is the case that Luger was booked to the win the belt and then the night before gave away the finish which was then changed. Pretty certain Bret was always booked to close the show with the belt. They had cooled off on Luger since the previous year as the attempt to capture lightning in a bottle and redo the Hogan character didn't work.

I think they did the co-winner thing at the Rumble to see who the crowd cheered for the most when their hand was raised.

Edit: just check Bret Hart's book and he says that Vince told him the night of the Royal Rumble that year that he would win the belt from Yokozuna.

I heard that story about Luger giving away the finish of the title match but I heard it was the night before Summerslam 93, when Luger beat Yoko by Countout. He was scheduled to get the title that night but missed out on it as he couldn't keep his trap shut. Or so the story goes.

How come Ken Shamrock never came back after he left in mid-late 1999?

Omackeral wrote: »

He went back to UFC. There probably wouldn't have been a spot for him as the roster was fairly stacked by 2000 and overflowing by 2001.

During the first Brand Extention draft on Raw in 2002, Vince McMahon mentions something about the "luck of the Irish" which I thought at the time was as a nod to Shamrock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Omackeral wrote: »

His body couldn't handle the WWE schedule. Ken also had a drug problem. Ken's life has kind of been mess. His manage ran away with a lot of his WWE money and Ken invested in the Lion's Den gym. Not just the physical location but the fighters too - bed and board. None of the fighters Ken had amounted to much.

Shamrock was on Steve Austin's podcast and filled out a lot of details of his life and career. Well worth a listen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Very much enjoyed this podcast:

http://placetobenation.com/good-will-wrestling-fixing-the-wwe-ppv-schedule/

Everyone seems to know what the calender often runs counter to the traditional feud cycle but I hadn't considered how dated some of the concepts are.

Do you guys think given the one World Champion that the Elimination Chamber should be moved? A better idea might be is to move it to the PPV after Wrestlemania. Playing it up as the first scary defence of by the (new) Champion after Wrestlemania?

Should TLC and Money In The Bank be merged and put into July Money In The Bank slot?

Night of Champions seems kind of a relic as when it started you had two tag belts, two womens belts and the ECW title?

Ive always thought that the Elimination Chamber lessens the prestige of winning the Royal Rumble and generally disrupts the Road to WrestleMania. It gives the possibility of a 'cold' champion. I enjoyed the No Way Out of Texas event in 1998 where they had 3 feuds merged into a tasty preview for mania. Shawn Michaels, HHH and the New Age Outlaws vs Steve Austin, Owen Hart and Cactus Jack/Chainsaw Charlie. Didn't give too much away and set the super show up even more. I think they did something similar in 2007's No Way Out where opponents in the WWE Title match tagged against opponents for the WHC.

The Elimination Chamber was born at Survivor Series and could possibly for better there, given the theme of it. Also think a missed opportunity was running a War Games match in the Chamber last time out when the Shield faced the Wyatt Family. Release a man from each pod but it's two teams of 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I think it's time to get rid of these themed PPVs anyhow. Having an annual Elimination Chamber / Hell in the Cell etc lessens the impact these gimmick matches have - when you see these matches annually, it's not as exciting as used sparingly. MITB is the one I would keep, but as suggested already, merge it with TLC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Are there any known wrestlers out in the indies that are more typical wwe mould? Most of the Indy guys coming in WWE are the smaller types like Kenta Bryan etc, but are there any with a pysique like hogan etc that are thought highly of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Bad Luck Fale would work well as a monster heel.

Advertisement