Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

WWE gave him a low ball offer which he turned down and the way things have turned out I think he made the right choice,he's said on a few interviews that he's made more or just as much with New Japan and numerous indies this year then he would have earned in WWE or TNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Was looking at some old shows on the network. Has there been has comment in hindsight from Vince or some of the talent about the whole fake Diesel and Razor angle? Looking back even in the most kayfabed world it was a bit cringy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Diesel and Razor mark II were mentioned in passing on one of the early Monday Night War episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I guess it gave Glenn Jacobs something to do while Paul Bearer was busy betraying The Undertaker. ;)

Was this shot from this year?

5NA8wA.png

The person at the bottom of the screen in trunks loos like Randy Orton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Does anyone happen to know if there's any relatively easily way of checking out if any pay per views or shows of any significance have take place in Seattle?

orestes wrote: »
    Does anyone happen to know if there's any relatively easily way of checking out if any pay per views or shows of any significance have take place in Seattle?

Like any PPV or show ever in the history of wrestling? WWE have run some, don't think WCW ever did anything big but not sure. Portland, Oregon was a territory back in the day.

This site has a fairly comprehensive list of WWF and NWA/WCW shows with attendance figures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Washington had very few Wrestling events back in the day as their Athletic Commission was so strict. Taxes, blood, drug testing etc.

WrestleMania XIX was in Seattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: In the main event of WM17 (Austin v Rock) it was a no disqualification match. Despite that, both wrestlers were doing numerous submission moves on each other and at one point the ref even told one guy to break the hold because the other guy had reached the ropes.

As I understand it, the penalty for not breaking the hold after a count of 5 is disqualification.

But in a no-disqualification match how exactly did that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: In the main event of WM17 (Austin v Rock) it was a no disqualification match. Despite that, both wrestlers were doing numerous submission moves on each other and at one point the ref even told one guy to break the hold because the other guy had reached the ropes.

As I understand it, the penalty for not breaking the hold after a count of 5 is disqualification.

But in a no-disqualification match how exactly did that work?

Most likely a fúck up on the ref's part or: Rules are often bent to suit the needs of a match anyhow. The 5 count thing was probably used to assist in the building of tension / excitement as the match went on.

Someone posted that match in the video thread recently with Steve Austin adding commentary. That is all addressed in the video. They always apply that rule in no D.Q matches. Which is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

What exactly does an agents job entail? The likes of Mercury and Noble, is it as simple as they show up and help put together the matches and such, and obviously impart their knowledge to anyone asking or is there a lot of other duties?

Andy_rse wrote: »
    What exactly does an agents job entail? The likes of Mercury and Noble, is it as simple as they show up and help put together the matches and such, and obviously impart their knowledge to anyone asking or is there a lot of other duties?

The answer is really broad and depends on the person and the time period. Joey Mecury was referred to as the 4th member of the The Shield: http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/2013-04-22/shield-fourth-member-26109379 as he put those AWESOME and intricate Shield matches together. Equally Arn Anderson puts all of John Cena's matches together. I believe Pat Patterson even nowadays plays a big part in putting together the Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania matches etc. Depending on the importance of the match and experience on those in involved the extent and length of road agent participation varies. But basically they help translate or make Wrestling sense of what's in the script and make it a reality. The actual finish of the matches are normal left in the hands of the agent and Wrestlers rather than it being WWE writer dictated. It is pretty taboo for a writer to tell a road agent how to do their job.

Hitting time cues is a HUGE thing for TV and PPVs. A road agent should know how to build a match that perfectly fits the allotted time and have a truncated version of the match just in case the Wrestler's match time gets cut if the show is running long.

At live events the road agents tend to run the show as the McMahons aren't there. Essentially they are babysitters making sure Wrestlers don't get into trouble at the bar, ensuring they are on the tour bus in time etc. They also draft up road agent reports which evaluate the matches on the road and other things like conduct which get sent back to Triple H I guess these days. At one time at least road agent reports are a big part of getting pushed in WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

They have to obsequiously follow the orders of their superiors and aid and abet them in their attempts to win matches by nefarious means.

Everything else is just a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads what have I missed with fandango? He's now a salsa dancer??

MrMac84 wrote: »

Possibly their Alberto Del Rio replacement/big Hispanic star. :P

MrMac84 wrote: »

Nothing. He's just been reintroduced as new and improved but is the same guy.

Anyone hear Dave Meltzer talk about Wrestlemania 12 on the Lapsed Fan podcast? He says the booking of the iron man match with no pinfalls was Bret's booking but I have always heard Bret say that that was the idea presented to him and he went along with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

Ageyev wrote: »
    Anyone hear Dave Meltzer talk about Wrestlemania 12 on the Lapsed Fan podcast? He says the booking of the iron man match with no pinfalls was Bret's booking but I have always heard Bret say that that was the idea presented to him and he went along with it.

I thought the two of them came up with it in a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Is this the longest time WWE have gone without having the champ around?

Kolido wrote: »
    Is this the longest time WWE have gone without having the champ around?

Probably since Raw began yeah. Hulk Hogan in the 80's wasn't on TV every week, he was champion after Wrestlemania 9 and was barely ever on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

When did they stop letting photographers around ringside?

I remember at one point they made it so that it was only WWE photographers, but now there don't seem to be any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Since they were replaced by more camera angles and decent video capture I'd wager?

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Since they were replaced by more camera angles and decent video capture I'd wager?

That and they wanted control over their images.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

Were Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker ever offered big money to switch to WCW during the Monday Night War?

Probably.

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    Were Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker ever offered big money to switch to WCW during the Monday Night War?

WWF owned the Undertaker gimmick and that was Caloway's drawing point at the time. Besides, he had been in WCW before and didn't like it much.

Officially no offer could have been made to Michaela as he was under contract but he was pals with Nash and Hall obviously who could have brokered a deal. The threat of Shawn jumping is likely in part why Vince let him away with his petulent tantrums in 1997. Michaels would have been a small fish in a big pond and he'd have been place lower in the pecking order of WCW. This topic came up before and someone correctly pointed out that he was out-politik'd by Hulk Hogan even in 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: I've noticed that ever since the business has become exposed, wrestlers have chosen to defend/justify their participation in the occupation to outsiders in terms of how 'tough' it is.

What I'm saying is they're clearly uncomfortable with the notion that wrestling is a 'performance art'. They seem to much prefer people think of it as something that is 'tough' rather than something that is 'artistic'.

So I'm just wondering (particularly wrt wrestlers who came from football, mma or amateur wrestling backgrounds) do you think these wrestlers try to use the same line they use on outsiders when they're with their former sporting peers, or would they acknowledge to those peers that wrestling is primarily a fun, silly sort of performance art (sort of like acting/theater/pantomime) albeit with much more physicality involved?

Advertisement