Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,722 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are Byron Saxton and Alex Riley injured or it is just that they don't wrestle anymore only employed to do commentary/interviewing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are Byron Saxton and Alex Riley injured or it is just that they don't wrestle anymore only employed to do commentary/interviewing?

Saxton is effectively retired from Wrestling.

Alex Riley wrestled on a WWE live event last week. He is threatening a comeback of some description.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Not sure about Bryon Saxton but Riley is clear to compete they just opt not to. He has loads of tweets about being in hell not allowed to compete and pretty much begging wwe to let him wrestle.

I actually like him on the panel pre shows. He was excellent during wrestlemania today. Made every match seem important and brought a professional approach to his analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

What ever happened to Richie Steamboat? Is he still injured? Havent heard about him in yonks

beakerjoe wrote: »
    What ever happened to Richie Steamboat? Is he still injured? Havent heard about him in yonks

Not sure he still has contracted ties with WWE but he is training to be Supermarket manager with Publix Supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

rovert wrote: »
    Not sure he still has contracted ties with WWE but he is training to be Supermarket manager with Publix Supermarkets.

I take it his injury ruined his career in wrestling so. Pity.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I take it his injury ruined his career in wrestling so. Pity.

Yeah he had this complicated back surgery that had a low chance of him returning to the ring as like a Hail Mary move but it didn't work out. I liked him. Wasn't going to be a Wrestlemania main eventer but he would have made a decent tag partner for someone and women really liked him.

Richie was apart of the curious spate of spinal and neck injuries. I was talking to another person who was a victim of that a few months ago. His NXT name was Judas Devlin. He's the tall guy with all the tatoos: http://wwe.sapo.pt/2vwru9vl4z7Z3zefVHeu

Bill DeMott seemingly just over worked him. Devlin tore his labrum after 3 hours into a drills session. Essentially his body turned the wrong way as a result of being too fatigued to achieve the proper form. Devlin could never get cleared and was released. He is kind of an activist for the prevention of those kind of injuries now.

Judas Devlin was rumoured on newzsites to be a fourth member of Wyatt Family. He said that never was the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

DeMott must have something on the McMahons

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Is NJPW World available to download on consoles, and is the sign up process easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Has the WWE ever experienced a riot or near riot in one of its events?

• Advertisement

Zemuppet wrote: »
    Has the WWE ever experienced a riot or near riot in one of its events?

What comes to mind:
    http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/Torch_Flashbacks_19/article_67215.shtml#.VLbmZCusVOg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Is NJPW World available to download on consoles, and is the sign up process easy?

No, no consoles app. They have said they will look at developing them in the future. Iirc they are aiming for 100k subscriptions so they'll need it.

Sign-up at present is via their njpwworld.com website which has a google translate plug-in at the bottom of the page for English. Sign-up is prettt easy, if you need additional help with translation I posted a link and screencap in one of the NJPW/puro threads a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Has NJPW World cost them much to get off of the ground? I am just curious to see what parallels there may be between them and the WWE Network. I really don't know a whole lot about Japan's wrestling companies, aside from watching some of the big matches and posts here.

I'd love to see if the internet and "liability" and healthcare that's around now was around 20+ years ago, the injuries happening now would be far rarer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Any reason why Kurt Angle kept his bald look after his feud with Edge was over?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

mxph3 wrote: »
    Any reason why Kurt Angle kept his bald look after his feud with Edge was over?

I believe I read he was going bald at that stage. Probably felt it was better to shave it all off and keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Plus, he looks more of a badass with the bald look, suits him much better than the hair did

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

How did WWE get to use the acronym WWF when it was already in use I believe.
    I read something about an agreement in 1994 between them but WWE violated it and had to end up changing their name. Can anyone expand on this for me?

Kolido wrote: »
    How did WWE get to use the acronym WWF when it was already in use I believe.
    I read something about an agreement in 1994 between them but WWE violated it and had to end up changing their name. Can anyone expand on this for me?

That's pretty much it.

I can't remember all the particulars but if think the '94 agreement (made around the time of the steroid trial and Hogan signing with WCW) stated they could use WWF in the US but not internationally. They of course violated this and then the internet took off and WWF.com became a bone of contention as well as them promoting shows in the UK.

There was a court in London which ruled in favour of the wildlife crowd in 2002 but there had been pegal jostling for a few years before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

But how were they able to use it in the first place, was it not already trademarked by the wildlife guys?

I guessing it may not have been such a big deal in the age before the internet or was there also some legal wrangling between them throughout the 80s behind the scenes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,013 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

But how were they able to use it in the first place, was it not already trademarked by the wildlife guys?

I guessing it may not have been such a big deal in the age before the internet or was there also some legal wrangling between them throughout the 80s behind the scenes?

I know that wwe won a case that they could use the wwf logo and the scrath logo on archive footage but not on new content. But I think it's utterly stupid that they had to change the name in the first place because who is going to mistake hulk hogan for a ****ing panda ? Honestly ?

It became an issue after WWF started promoting in Europe/UK and they got on Sky. Least that is how I understand it.

Afaik they paid off the Wildlife Fund so that they could air the WWF footage - they lost the right to any mention of the initials as well as the scratch logo but not any logos from before that which I think may have been a quirk of the 2002 outcome or an oversight.

This went down in 2012 when the idea of a traditional network channel was being taken seriously. I think the Brock Lesnar DVD was the first to feature the scratch logo since 2002. I am not entirely sure why Silvervision were allowed re-release the old stuff but it may have been because it was a third party.

Is it just me or does Daniel Bryan's music sound really dated now? Like X-Pac returning in 2001 and doing DX stuff.

Ride of the Valkyries is a big triumphant theme that works well if he's working main events and the crowd are behind Bryan. It sounds sort of like something from a superhero movie in the WWE context.

If he is relegated to mid-card losses yeah it's out of place but it's still part of his "leader of the underdogs" gimmick.

Ageyev wrote: »
    Ride of the Valkyries is a big triumphant theme that works well if he's working main events and the crowd are behind Bryan. It sounds sort of like something from a superhero movie in the WWE context.

If he is relegated to mid-card losses yeah it's out of place but it's still part of his "leader of the underdogs" gimmick.

They need to jazz it up with a nu-metal version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

Apart from Vince McMahon who else has won the Rumble and not gone on to a championship match in the same year at Mania?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Steve Austins 1st rumble win i think the one where Hart eliminated him but he came back in and won

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

Steve Austins 1st rumble win i think the one where Hart eliminated him but he came back in and won

And why didnt he get a title match at Mania? I thought he did that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think that year was Undertaker vs Sid ....Found this wikipedia

The other main match on the card was Bret Hart versus Steve Austin in a No Disqualification Submission match. Hart and Austin's rivalry began after Austin won the 1996 King of the Ring tournament and began taunting Hart, who was inactive at the time. Austin insulted Hart in his speeches so Hart would accept his challenge to a match. Hart returned in October and accepted Austin's challenge, with the two facing each other at Survivor Series 1996 where Hart defeated Austin.[7] Their rivalry continued as Hart and Austin were the final two participants in the 1997 Royal Rumble match. Hart had originally eliminated Austin from the match but Austin's elimination was considered unofficial as the officials didn't see it because they were busy in a brawl between eliminated wrestlers Mankind and Terry Funk.[8] They were participants in a Four Corners Elimination match for the vacant WWF Championship at Final Four, which Hart won.[4] The next night on Monday Night Raw, Austin cost Hart the WWF Championship against Sycho Sid when Hart had applied the Sharpshooter on Sid, Austin nailed Hart with a steel chair followed by Sid powerbombing Hart for the win.[5] Hart and Austin were booked to wrestle in a no disqualification submission match at WrestleMania, but Hart got a shot at the WWF Championship in a steel cage match on March 17 edition of Raw Is War, with the winner defending the title against The Undertaker at WrestleMania 13. Hart almost had the match won, until Undertaker interfered and helped Sid in getting the victory.[6]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I think Cena's first win in the Rumble he used the title match from it at the No Way Out PPV, though he was also in the title match at Mania so I dunno if you'd count that one.

Advertisement