Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    Apart from Vince McMahon who else has won the Rumble and not gone on to a championship match in the same year at Mania?

Did Bansaw Jon Duggan get a title shot as the first winner? I'm not sure he did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Wasn't the rumble going for a while before they started doing the whole winner-gets-a-title-shot-at-mania thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Wasn't the rumble going for a while before they started doing the whole winner-gets-a-title-shot-at-mania thing?

the 1993 rumble was when they first added the "winner gets title shot at mania" stip. the previous years rumble match (92) was for the wwe title.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Did Bansaw Jon Duggan get a title shot as the first winner? I'm not sure he did

The tradition of getting a title shot from winning the Rumble started in 1993 with Yokozuna.

EDIT: Rossie beat me to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Steve Austins 1st rumble win i think the one where Hart eliminated him but he came back in and won

He was never booked to get the Mania title shot. I think Bret was or at least Vince let Bret believe that he would be getting a rematch with Shawn Michaels at Mania to get his win back.

It was during the "Monday Night Wars" and the swerve was becoming a thing. Also Vic Venom/Vince Russo alluded to Hart as the winner before the show on Livewire so they switched it up.

The Feb In Your House PPV was already being promoted as 'The Final Four' with a promo shot featuring Sid vs Michaels vs Austin vs Hart in a 4-way though this was likely a placeholder shot - Sid/Hart/HBK had been doing three-way matches on the house shows.

At some point Vince settled on Sid vs Undertaker for the title as the Wrestlemania 13 main event with Bret vs Shawn as the semi-main event. Shawn was to drop the title on Thursday Raw Thursday which had been booked a month in advance.

Shawn had his "career threatening knee injury/lost smile", the Final Four way became a match for the title so that Bret could transition it to Sid for the Taker match and then Bret got the Austin Submission match.

With the brand split and two world titles from 2003 up until 2013 the Rumble winner title shot gimmick was greatly devalued I thought when you had the Rumble winner wrestling on the undercard for the secondary belt.

Edit: I think triple threat title matches at Mania also makes a mock of the Rumble gimmick.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

Who owns and posts for WWE star's social media pages? I mean surely the current Twitter war between Ziggler and Bryan is being fed to them word for word or even being done completely by WWE Social Media management?

Does WWE Social Media management types have the passwords to WWE star's pages?

Does a talent have to run every Tweet and Facebook post past management first?

If an in ring talent leaves WWE then who owns these pages? Especially if they go elsewhere and have "WWE" in their "@" Twitter name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Who owns and posts for WWE star's social media pages?

Their twitter AFAIK is run completely by the talent themselves.

Regarding storylines, they might be asked to post something by creative/social media team.

I think most of the facebook pages are just set up by WWE and will just contain news. (that may have changed though)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

WWE owns their Twitters. The ownership of their Twitter is something negotiated during a Wrestler's release.

The WWE social media team has log in access. I know more about NXT people than (long time) WWE people. Maybe NXT is more micro managed but I've been told by NXT people not to direct message them personal/contentious stuff on Twitter and instead use Facebook. As WWE/NXT has access to their Twitter DMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Jaysus!

rovert wrote: »
    WWE owns their Twitters. The ownership of their Twitter is something negotiated during a Wrestler's release.

Surely it would make more sense to do it during their signing rather than release?

I cant see Cena and the like ever relinquishing control of his Twitter when the time comes to part ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The WWE social media team has log in access. I know more about NXT people than (long time) WWE people. Maybe NXT is more micro managed but I've been told by NXT people not to direct message them personal/contentious stuff on Twitter and instead use Facebook. As WWE/NXT has access to their Twitter DMs.

How do you know some many talents??

Surely it would make more sense to do it during their signing rather than release?

Probably but WWE was somewhat late to the game with social media. There probably is a provision in newer contracts.
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    How do you know some many talents??

A bunch of ways to be honest and it was something I didn't really set out to do just kind of happened over the course of the last 3-4 years when it all mushroomed.

Some used to post on the same message boards as I did like 10 years ago, I have a lot of mutual friends of US wrestlers - fans, non-Wrestling people like promoters/commentary people, journalists and wrestlers frankly like my trolling over the years. Also it is 2015 everyone can be contacted you know. Wrestlers search their names, will follow you and will DM you.

You wouldn't believe the friend requests in NXT I got for posting somewhere that essentially Ricardo Rodríguez is a huge sleaze and was banned from training with the women in NXT. Something people in the industry are afraid to say as it would alienate mutual friends of theirs. My post coincided with NXT talents driving to a live event and everyone asking "did you see this." It can work the other way about 3 months I got a list of indie female wrestlers who legit want to beat me up over calling a spade a spade on them grooming vulnerable men to give them gifts, pay for their flights etc. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

http://f4w.wikia.com/wiki/Rovert

I take it they are talking about yoy here? Ha ha

MrMac84 wrote: »
    http://f4w.wikia.com/wiki/Rovert

I take it they are talking about yoy here? Ha ha

Yes but read the other ones. It is meant to be a piss take.

Since a rumored report is spreading with a heavy-handed tagline. Something that needs to said right off the bat is that NJPW would not be the ones to acquire anything, Bushiroad the company that owns the 90%, or so, on NJPW stock are the ones with the money to acquire any stock which NOAH would have on the table. That is not to say any of this is true as nothing has been made known through Bushiroad or NOAH promoting Bushiroad, as of yet, as a sponsor of the promotion.

The tagline of “NJPW has bought NOAH” or whatever is being used is just no more than click-bait in a sense. News to me that buying any bit of stock actually meaning that one actually “bought” the thing in question. Which has lead to me having to make this post to try and show a different light on this subject before damage control needs to be made. Because this is still just a rumor that needs to be taken lightly.

Though what is getting people talking is how Suzuki-gun is competing in NOAH now and the recent appearance of NOAH in the Tokyo Dome. I have also come under the impression that people see NOAH working with NJPW as a new thing when if you go back in history they have worked together on many several instances. From more notably Marufuji being a former IWGP Jr. Champion and even Akiyama working with Nagata in 2002/2003. Of course we have the Bushiroad card game, but that also included wrestlers from All Japan and elsewhere, which Bushiroad does not have connections with elsewhere at this time.

I have been told by a couple Spanish speaking individuals that the original video has been falsely translated, but the original video has been removed from youtube. But it roughly translates that Super Crazy did mention that Jado has been on tour with NOAH as of late and the politics in NOAH have undergone a change in some form. Outside of that it is just leading to more and more rumors circulating.

Honestly I have not heard one way or another on what is the truth of the matter. As you guys know I do my best to be a translator news and results of NOAH, AJPW, and other promotions that are not as covered in English to the best of my ability. I am just one guy who enjoys these promotions and just relaying the information I get for you guys to try and follow along as well. At the end of the day the internet is what is and you guys will read anything for how it is promoted and released online. I truly do my best to limit the posting of rumors and filler posts on this page and blog, unless I have been given some more direct info, and that has no plans of changing anytime soon. Though this is just something I have seen being posted all-around and I felt I needed to provide my own bit of insight on the matter.

From Puroresu Spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Why did they give away Hogan vs Lesnar on a Smackdown I thought that would have been a massive ppv sell even with a really much older Hogan

Why did they give away Hogan vs Lesnar on a Smackdown I thought that would have been a massive ppv sell even with a really much older Hogan

There was a plan for Hogan v Lesnar at Survivor Series in 2002 at Madison Square Garden. Hogan wanted to go over in the first match and would put Lesnar over in the rematch. Vince said no and we instead got Lesnar destroying Hogan on Smackdown and Big Show then beating Lesnar at Survivor Series. What a genius Vince McMahon is.

Hogan and McMahon then had some sort of "falling out" with regards to the Global Warning tour in Australia (headlined by Rock v HHH v Lesnar).

• Registered Users Posts: 86,723 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Any idea when Orton is back on screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Any idea when Orton is back on screen?

I think he was supposed to return weeks ago, he appeared in some dark segments, but they've obviously decided to hold him off for some unknown reason. So to answer your question: there's been no announced return date.

Missed opportunity to bring him back at the Rumble, he could have been the next entrant after DDP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He was backstage from what I've heard after the Event but I'm happy they kept him away from that clusterf*ck. I reckon him and Seth could be savage at Mania if they went that way. Can imagine Rollins losing yet walking out champ.

Observer Newsletter:
    The only sign of an apparent confirmed change of direction involves Randy Orton, who was to face Rollins on the original Mania card. Orton was first scheduled to return before the Rumble, then moved to after the Rumble. He did a personal appearance on 1/29 and said he’d be back at TV for the Smackdown live the next day, and wasn’t there. He was advertised for the live Raw show on 2/2 in Denver and was also not there.

Orton is still being advertised locally in Orlando on 2/16 with it being billed on local radio as “The Return or Randy Orton,” but radio ads are done well ahead of time. At press time, he was pulled from being advertised for all future television shows, including those as far away as March. Generally, when someone is pulled from advertising it’s usually because there was a change in time frame from returning from an injury or a communications issue internally. Orton was also pulled from all TV advertising but remains advertised for a full house show schedule going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Does Lucha Underground get any better? The first few weeks have been a struggle to watch the whole way. Stick with it, or skip to the highly rated matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Q: Does anyone know why the Ultimate Warrior was billed for a while as 'from Queens, New York'.

As far as I tell, whenever they used a made-up home city for a wrestler there was usually some meaning as to why they've chose that place and that it would somehow relate to the character. (eg Hulk Hogan was Venice Beach, CA or Honky Tonk Man from Memphis, TN etc)

Ultimate Warrior 'hometown' has always puzzled me as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with his character. I'd have probably expected someone like him to have come out 'the desert' or indeed 'parts unknown' as I think he was eventually more famous for.

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Does anyone know why the Ultimate Warrior was billed for a while as 'from Queens, New York'.

As far as I tell, whenever they used a made-up home city for a wrestler there was usually some meaning as to why they've chose that place and that it would somehow relate to the character. (eg Hulk Hogan was Venice Beach, CA or Honky Tonk Man from Memphis, TN etc)

Ultimate Warrior 'hometown' has always puzzled me as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with his character. I'd have probably expected someone like him to have come out 'the desert' or indeed 'parts unknown' as I think he was eventually more famous for.

Jim Helwig's place of birth was Queens NY, and this is likely why it was used. He had been introduced under that name as Dingo Warrior, becoming Parts Unknown after his debut in WWF

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Jim Helwig's place of birth was Queens NY, and this is likely why it was used.

His wiki has him listed as being born in "Crawfordsville, Indiana".

I was on a sabbatical from wrestling at the time but this match still baffles me.

Why the quick pin at an event as prestigious as Mania?

I was on a sabbatical from wrestling at the time but this match still baffles me.

Why the quick pin at an event as prestigious as Mania?

To take the piss out of Bryan (or us internet fans by proxy) and get Sheamus over strong. It set the ball rolling for Bryan's big win last year because as a result of this happened crowds turned Bryan babyface and got behind him.

Bryan vs Sheamus at Wrestlemania is almost an in-joke at this stage. They were booked for 27 but were relegated to the pre-show, 28 happened, they were booked for 30 until Vince relented and put Bryan in the title chase.

I wouldn't get too attached to the idea of Wrestlemania being a sacred and prestigious event free of screwy finishes and rotten angles as there have been plenty and that World belt had been second to the WWE Title for years.

It always made sense to me. I was annoyed that I didn't see it coming. Just a basic pride before a fall. The Daniel Bryan's character was a total jackass leading into Wrestlemania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It always made sense to me. I was annoyed that I didn't see it coming. Just a basic pride before a fall. The Daniel Bryan's character was a total jackass leading into Wrestlemania.

logically yes that should have been the story but lets be honest the real reason was to give sheamus a big mania moment that would have fans talking and lead him on the road to a big push where he would headline the sd houseshow brand and cena the raw one and bryan would fall back down into the lower midcard.

at least that was the plan but the fans were having none of it.

Advertisement