Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

can anyone remember a shield match where the finish was a pin after reigns speared someone while they had either rollins or ambrose on his shoulder which he fell into being pinned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

Was the NWO run in after Rock and Hogan at Mania 18 planned that way or was it changed at the last minute after the crowd got in Hogan's corner in a huge way?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Dep! wrote: »
    Was the NWO run in after Rock and Hogan at Mania 18 planned that way or was it changed at the last minute after the crowd got in Hogan's corner in a huge way?

I don't know the answer but It can't have been a suprise to the wwe that the crowd got behind hogan in such a big way given who he was, and with Rock winning it would seem logical that the NWO would be pissed storyline wise and look to attack hogan who had let the NWO down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Dep! wrote: »

I'm sure I watched an interview before about that and someone said Vince called an audible and sent out the NWO, they expected Hogan to get a reaction but not to the extent that he did and he went with it and pushed him solidly as a face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Some chat about potential WCW stars making an appearance at Wrestlemania got me thinking about Nikita Koloff ( the greatest evil foreigner of all time imo). Just did a quick search for a shoot interview and there appears to be a few, can anybody recommend one in particular?

On the evil foreigner gimmick, this was part of a review I found from one of his shoots: He sold his gimmick as a newly-arrived Russian immigrant by never speaking English in public and never showing that he knew exactly what people were saying. The only place he ever spoke English was in the car with Ivan so, in order to sell the gimmick, Ivan had to go around and help Nikita get his apartment, hook up the utilities, and get a gym membership. He went months without paying membership fees at the gym in order to sell the "doesn't understand English" part of his character. He tells a funny story about the manager trying get the dues by speaking slowly. "Ni-ki-ta... we... need... mon-ey... mem-ber-ship... mon-ey..." Eventually, the just told him "Nikita... bring... Ivan... to-mor-row", so they got their money when Ivan was there to "translate". He said that the manager never asked for it before that because he'd seen footage of him beating people with the Russian chain and decided it wasn't worth pissing him off until several months of dues built up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember reading that Cena would be moving to a more part time role this year or soon. Was there any truth to this story, or any more said about it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I remember reading that Cena would be moving to a more part time role this year or soon. Was there any truth to this story, or any more said about it?

I'm not sure about truth but I've heard he's to become a special attraction like HBK and The Undertaker were in the latter part of their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm not sure about truth but I've heard he's to become a special attraction like HBK and The Undertaker were in the latter part of their careers.
    So what, doing a lot of different segments and not wrestling too much, taking time out for 2-4 months each year or like the show up and wrestle at the big PPVs?

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    So what, doing a lot of different segments and not wrestling too much, taking time out for 2-4 months each year or like the show up and wrestle at the big PPVs?

Essentially yeah. He's planning on doing more acting so he will certainly be taking time off away from the ring.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So I finally gave in this afternoon and sold out bought into the Network.

If you could recommend a Top 10, what PPVs should I watch first? WWF or WCW or whatever.

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »

If you could recommend a Top 10, what PPVs should I watch first? WWF or WCW or whatever.

wrestlemania 1 just because it's an historic event. Wrestlemania 17 as it's the best mania card ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

An File wrote: »

You didn't sell out, you bought in! Seriously, the STATE of WrestleMania 1. The only redeeming feature is that it runs 2hr 16. If you haven't seen it, check out the SHIELD docu made for last year's Mania. It's wunderbar and will get you amped to see the lads. http://network.wwe.com/video/v35628655

If it's a PPV you're after WMX7 is amazing (of course) but I'd recommend XIX as well, it did poorly on PPV but it's a WHOPPER show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Plenty of moments in that Battle Royal (and most battle royal formats) where a wrestler goes over the top rope, and hangs on to the rope without hitting the ground, only to stay in the match by climbing back in.

Has it ever gone wrong and has anyone ever been eliminated when they weren't supposed to? Or is it just too hard to tell as they roll with it and pretend like nothing went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Plenty of moments in that Battle Royal (and most battle royal formats) where a wrestler goes over the top rope, and hangs on to the rope without hitting the ground, only to stay in the match by climbing back in.

Has it ever gone wrong and has anyone ever been eliminated when they weren't supposed to? Or is it just too hard to tell as they roll with it and pretend like nothing went wrong?

Yup, Austin slipped out once in 96 I think it was.

More recently, A!ex Riley messed up, which ruined some later plans

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Has it ever happened that a wrestler at a big event has "gone rogue" against the decision-makers' wishes? For example, has it ever come to light that someone has just gone "**** this" and grabbed a belt in a ladder match they weren't scheduled to win or similar? If it has (knowingly) happened, what was the outcome? Or are there any instances when you suspect it has happened but it isn't public knowledge?

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Nah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Paully D wrote: »
    Has it ever happened that a wrestler at a big event has "gone rogue" against the decision-makers' wishes? For example, has it ever come to light that someone has just gone "**** this" and grabbed a belt in a ladder match they weren't scheduled to win or similar? If it has (knowingly) happened, what was the outcome? Or are there any instances when you suspect it has happened but it isn't public knowledge?

The only thing that comes close to that is HBK at Survivor Series in 1997 but the decision makers were in on it, his opponent wasnt though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Gail Kim did the reverse in a Diva's Battle Royale were she eliminated herself under the bottom when no one was looking and then quit the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Bruiser Brody built something of a kayfabe-bending gimmick off this. He once stopped selling for Lex Luger mid cage-match. Luger, knowing Brody's rep, decided to flee immediately. Made stranger by the fact Luger was the face.

More info here.

http://wrestlingsgreatestmoments.blogspot.ie/2009/05/wrestlings-unsolved-mysteries-brody-and.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Has a wcw ppv and a wwe ppv ever clashed before ?

Where they ever on at the same time I'm asking ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

ricero wrote: »
    Has a wcw ppv and a wwe ppv ever clashed before ?

Where they ever on at the same time I'm asking ?

Survivor Series clashed with Starrcade on the 26th of November 1987. I think that was the start of the whole WWF vs. WCW feud, which McMahon started.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

More of an opinion based question I suppose but how come Colt Cabana never worked out in WWE at all? I know he was signed and had a few showings as Scotty Goldman on Smackdown but how come it didn't happen for him? And why did they bother signing him at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Are the Rock and Reigns actually related or just part of a Samoan 'wrestling family' ? Also weren't most of the biggest family in wrestling glorified jobbers?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Are the Rock and Reigns actually related or just part of a Samoan 'wrestling family' ? Also weren't most of the biggest family in wrestling glorified jobbers?
    Rock and Reigns aren't actually related, he is however cousins with the Usos.

Well the Rock's grandfather isn't blood related to the Samoans.

Jobbers ? Yoko, rock. Rikishi, wild Samoans, umaga, high chief, rocky Johnson. Hardly jobbers and I know that isn't the whole family ive listed but that's not a bad list ive named.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Jobbers is an exaggeration but they're made out to be wrestling royalty when a lot of them were pretty insubstantial in the grand scheme of things.

Jobbers is an exaggeration but they're made out to be wrestling royalty when a lot of them were pretty insubstantial in the grand scheme of things.

That's a fair point. Still without the family the wrestling world wouldn't have gotten the rock so while probably not royalty they gave us one of the greatest ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

Omackeral wrote: »
    More of an opinion based question I suppose but how come Colt Cabana never worked out in WWE at all? I know he was signed and had a few showings as Scotty Goldman on Smackdown but how come it didn't happen for him? And why did they bother signing him at all?

I think I remember him saying on his podcast that a few guys talked to John Laurinaitis about signing him. I think it was CM Punk and maybe Dolph Ziggler or Zack Ryder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

The Rock's grandfather and Reigns grandfather were Samoan blood brothers in the sense of "two or more men not related by birth who have sworn loyalty to each other".

Don't know how you can call them glorified jobbers.

Reigns headlined WrestleMania and is a future WWE champion for sure.
    Yokozuna headlined WrestleMania twice; was a 2-time WWE champion and is a hall of famer.
    Umaga was in the biggest match of WrestleMania 2007; and won 2 Intercontinental titles; he would have achieved so much more if not for his drug issues and early death.
    Rikishi was one of WWE's biggest stars in one of their most successful years, 2000; was Intercontinental champion and is a Hall of Famer.
    The Wild Samoans won tag titles all over the place and were 3-time WWE tag team champions. They are also Hall of Famers.
    The Uso's are two time Tag Champions and possibly the most successful of any tag team around right now, which admittedly isn't saying much.
    Haku had a very good career and was considered one of the most legitimately tough guys in wrestling.

That's four WWE hall of famers.

It's difficult to think of another family where so many guys achieved so much in the WWE/WWF. Add in the Rock's side of the family and it's not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

How does it work creatively when two promotions come together for a pay-per-view; for example War of the Worlds between Ring of Honor and New Japan. It would seem like a political nightmare trying to agree who beats who. Who decides?

Advertisement