Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Was that uncensored 96 ? That sounds like that main event which is gold in the wrong way.

That's the one.

Might go home and watch it on the network (I assume WCW PPVs are on there?)

It's so bad it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That's the one.

Might go home and watch it on the network (I assume WCW PPVs are on there?)

It's so bad it's good.

Yep it's there. I watched it not that long ago and still chuckle about it. Lucky macho rememebered to pin someone at the end. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

What did the wrestlers at the time actually think of Shane McMahon? I'm sure their was animosity due to him taking someone's spot and all that, but he was always willing to take a good beating and could hold his own did the wrestlers respect him or was it they put up with him because he was a McMahon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Is there any particular reason for HHH & Steph being "off-screen" for so long?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    What did the wrestlers at the time actually think of Shane McMahon? I'm sure their was animosity due to him taking someone's spot and all that, but he was always willing to take a good beating and could hold his own did the wrestlers respect him or was it they put up with him because he was a McMahon?

From what I heard in interviews the wrestlers had great time for Shane, he never acted like an Exec and had no interest in office politics, he drank with the wrestlers and was more than willing to take a whooping in the ring.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Loughc wrote: »
    From what I heard in interviews the wrestlers had great time for Shane, he never acted like an Exec and had no interest in office politics, he drank with the wrestlers and was more than willing to take a whooping in the ring.

Yep.

But there was some resentment over Shane outshining them on PPVs as Shane could rob moves without sanction and he wasn't full time on the road - he didn't have to protect his body. But he at the same time took risks that wrestlers even on a part time schedule likely wouldn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is there any particular reason for HHH & Steph being "off-screen" for so long?

I'm guessing it's because Steph is involved with the Eisenhower fellowship and she is travelling overseas with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

How acurate are the stats they throw up on Raw like most watched show every week, most facebook followers, tweets etc. Wouldn't the NFL for example have many more fans than the WWE, though WWE aren't really a sport per se. How would the WWE compare with regards to fan base with the big 4 pro sports leagues in USA?

Seems these stats they put up are somehow misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Kolido wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

How acurate are the stats they throw up on Raw like most watched show every week, most facebook followers, tweets etc. Wouldn't the NFL for example have many more fans than the WWE, though WWE aren't really a sport per se. How would the WWE compare with regards to fan base with the big 4 pro sports leagues in USA?

I'm sure they would have to be somewhat accurate, as in today's world, it's quite easy for anybody to check up on the stats if they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

A lot of them are manipulated or "technically" accurate but it's pretty much WWE using its own logic to beat the competition. Stuff like the longest running show and most episode achievements ignores things like newscasts, talk shows, soap operas and quiz shows that air new episodes multiple times a week. In some cases opposing programs don't count if they had clip show episodes because it's not "original" content (ignore the times Raw did the same with tribute shows or year reviews).

Other claims are worded specifically to be vague or intentionally avoid being compared to the biggest shows from across the TV landscape. Like what else counts as sports entertainment to be competition against pro wrestling? Total Wipeout? American Gladiators? Battlebots?

However I think WWE's social media claims are usually correct regardless of what they spin. They do have some social media and Youtube viewing numbers that really are better than the sports leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

How does the Buried Alive match work? I'm assuming that in the casket match they slip under the apron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

How does the Buried Alive match work? I'm assuming that in the casket match they slip under the apron.

It would be the same way, a false side that they would roll into before the clay gets dumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

Does anyone still use the original backbreacker rather than the newer one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

PowerSlam magazine talked about that once. While they said that's how the stunt is done, it was infact a stuntman's hand emerging from the grave at Buried Alive 1996.
    Which is a no brainer when you think about it. Why risk the safety of your talent. Can be anyone's hand coming up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Has Jeff Jarrett ever explained why he left TNA? even though the reasons why he left were probably fairly obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

How was HGH, I mean HHH, never busted for drug violations? Or was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Never publicly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

garhjw wrote: »
    How was HGH, I mean HHH, never busted for drug violations? Or was he?

He got so big so quickly there had too be something behind it!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

We are just recovering from from the The Rock/steroids stuff lads!

1. The wrestlers caught by dodgy doctor offices being raided were caught because they stupidly used their own name in ordering steroids and painkillers and not an alias. Triple H doesn't strike me as a person that is dumb or careless enough to do that.

2. HGH is available with a prescription/under a Doctor's supervision.

Human growth hormone is also hard to test for. Vince McMahon in 1992 claimed that he had developed a test for it but afaik this was never independently verified. Warrior and Bulldog were stung because they shipped it through the post.

If UFC fighters are able to get around drug tests (well, some probably have), then WWE workers shouldn't have too hard a time. Steroids can also be prescribed to promote healing and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The WWE have their own professional medical staff and any doctor can prescribe and administer TRT, so I would assume the majority of wrestlers have been diagnosed with low testosterone and are getting TRT. And this system is 100 times safer than having them source their own crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I'm almost positive that Triple H and Brock aren't tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The wellness policy/drug testing in WWE seems to be a joke. So many former talent have spoken their opinons about.

We've all heard the stories. Ranging from top talent not even getting tested, to if you have a doctor's prescription then it's ok and then for top guys like Cena using HGH which WWE doesnt/cant test for.

But what I love the most is when WWE wants to punish a wrestler. A week later he "fails" the policy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With the Cena invitational happening before the rematch with Rusev, it had me wondering has a title ever changed hands before a scheduled match? And what would happen in that case?

Like if Neville had pinned Cena to win the title, would Rusev fight him or Cena? Or would it just be a triple threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'm sure it would depend on the situation. It would make sense for them to be in a triple threat match. However, sensible booking (in my opinion) would have the new champion participate in the originally scheduled title defence and then give the unseated champ his rematch.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With the Cena invitational happening before the rematch with Rusev, it had me wondering has a title ever changed hands before a scheduled match? And what would happen in that case?

Like if Neville had pinned Cena to win the title, would Rusev fight him or Cena? Or would it just be a triple threat?

It used to happen during the lauded Attitude Era. People would just get added/removed to/from matches, singles matches would become three and four-way mathes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They referenced it in Raw during the invitationals that if Cena lost he would still meet Rusev in an I Quit match. I remember them saying it.

Also, I think if happened at Summerslam 92 with LOD/Beverly Bros/Natural Disasters/Money Inc. Money Inc. and the The Legion of Doom were feuding in 1992 over the WWF Tag Team Championship. The Legion of Doom held the championship belts until Hawk failed a drug test. As a result, the WWF suspended him and had the Legion of Doom drop the belts to Money Inc. Once Hawk's suspension ended, a rematch was scheduled to take place at SummerSlam. The match was first announced as a title match but Money Inc. lost the championship to The Natural Disasters, transferring the title match status to the Disasters vs the Beverlys.

• Advertisement

The WWF title was a veritable hot potato in Jan-March 1997 with a confusing build for the main event.

The SummerSlam 1999 main event changed several times, likely due to Austin not wanting to put HHH over.

Advertisement