Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Having watched wrestlemania 4 this weekend. I know Vince is in the headset of the commentators now but has that always been the way ? I mean gorilla monsoon and Jesse Ventura surely didn't need Vince in their ear all the time ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

rovert wrote: »
    Not sure. WWE and him would go through bouts of employment. When they would release him he would threaten to sue and they would bring him back.
    Do you know what type of position in the company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Do you know what type of position in the company?

In the early 2000s he did some kind of blog on the WWE site. No idea what else he might have done.
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Having watched wrestlemania 4 this weekend. I know Vince is in the headset of the commentators now but has that always been the way ? I mean gorilla monsoon and Jesse Ventura surely didn't need Vince in their ear all the time ?

I think the "Vince in the headset" thing of telling the commentators what to say largely came about during the late 90s when Raw became very heavily produced and went live more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I know there was a tie in to the promotion of the movie, See No Evil, but does anyone know, what were the long term or intended plans for the imposter Kane?

It seemed to me the whole angle got cut very short.

Kane seemingly knew who it was under the mask, but once he beat him and took the mask back, that was the end of it.

I dont remember the Kane one well but the Fake Undertaker angle a decade previous only lasted one match. WWE aren't very good with long term plans for the midcard.

I vaguely remember a kayfabe novel about the Taker & Kane storyline and there may have been something fleshed out there like another brother or something

• Advertisement

Hate asking this question, what was supposed to happen with the Mr. McMahon death storyline?
    There was going to be a 3 hour funeral special until it ended due to Benoit but then what?
    I've heard that the illegitimate son story, which they later carried out anyway, was supposed to be part of it at some point also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Hate asking this question, what was supposed to happen with the Mr. McMahon death storyline?
    There was going to be a 3 hour funeral special until it ended due to Benoit but then what?
    I've heard that the illegitimate son story, which they later carried out anyway, was supposed to be part of it at some point also.

I remember reading something about the power in WWE going to his illegitimate son, with that being Mr. Kennedy, who would go on to be a super heel. It would have ended with HHH challenging him for power and going over him at WM 24 and then Vince would reveal he faked his death to see how things would be in WWE without him, or something to that effect

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I know there was a tie in to the promotion of the movie, See No Evil, but does anyone know, what were the long term or intended plans for the imposter Kane?

It seemed to me the whole angle got cut very short.

Kane seemingly knew who it was under the mask, but once he beat him and took the mask back, that was the end of it.

From what I read you are correct the program was expected to run alot longer than it did. It turned out the Masked Kane was very green and did not work well in the ring with the original Kane, so they scrapped the angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I remember reading something about the power in WWE going to his illegitimate son, with that being Mr. Kennedy, who would go on to be a super heel. It would have ended with HHH challenging him for power and going over him at WM 24 and then Vince would reveal he faked his death to see how things would be in WWE without him, or something to that effect

What a crying shame we missed out on that

Sounds very believable, and the finish of the feud is so typical :D!

• Advertisement

The Ultimate Warrior held Vince up for 500K wasn't it?

You know when a wrestler used to go to the top rope and the ref used to start a five count ? Did anyone ever get DQed this way ? I can't remember any.

The Ultimate Warrior held Vince up for 500K wasn't it?

In July 1991 Warrior wrote Vince a letter demanding $550,000 for his Wrestlemania7 payoff and the same pay as Hogan for all future appearances, royalties from merch etc. plus some extra day off each week.

You know when a wrestler used to go to the top rope and the ref used to start a five count ? Did anyone ever get DQed this way ? I can't remember any.

Pretty sure some early 1990s WCW matches did. Bill Watts was the booker and reintroduced an old "over the top rope DQ" rule.

Ageyev wrote: »
    Pretty sure some early 1990s WCW matches did. Bill Watts was the booker and reintroduced an old "over the top rope DQ" rule.

Ah yes that was the period when Bill removed the mats from outside the ring because that's fun to see wrestler land on concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Ah yes that was the period when Bill removed the mats from outside the ring because that's fun to see wrestler land on concrete.

That was such an irresponsible move in his part. This was also part of the great era of the WCW presedency was a revolving door.

Side note though: as much as it fcuked up his knees, those elbows onto the concrete by Foley helped boost just star power before he upped the ante with his promos and hardcore style

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

This is for Oldskooler's, well if you consider early 90's Oldskool.

Anyway between Summerlam 1992 (late August) - Survivor Series 1992 (late November) 4 tittle changes happened & they were all pretty big deal matches or should have been if promoted right & one of them was promoted right & on a big stage that was the HBK vs Bulldog for the IC tittle on the very last SNME for 14 years about 3 weeks before the 1992 SS PPV.

Now the others. Macho Man vs Ric Flair for the WWF tittle just barely 2 weeks after Summerslam on some House show. To me the rematch between the Macho Man & Flair for the WWF tittle is a PPV headlining match not some random House show match.

The other 2: Bret vs Flair for the WWF tittle, A legend vs the new star of WWF . Bret did a shoot a few months ago were he mentioned this match & he said he had no idea why this match was never put on a bigger show.

And the last was Money Inc one the best heel tag-teams ever vs The Natural Disaters one of the largest tag-teams ever for the WWF Tag Team Championships also booked on some random house show.

And these were all 3 tittle changing matches on there just booked on some random house shows with no time to build them up. Why book so badly & lazy?

You could have got either a PPV out of it in between Summerslam & Survivor Series or an extra 2 SNME (they already had 1 in between) which I would have preferred.

A September Saturday Nites Main Event

1. WWF Tittle Match: Ric Flair vs The Macho Man
    2. Summerslam re-match & No.1 contenders Match for the WWF Tag Tittles: Money Inc vs the Road Warriors.
    3. No1 contenders match for the IC tittle HBK vs Warrior with HBK winning from outside interference by Flair & Perfect.
    There was usually either 3 or 4 matches on SNME so maybe a 4th match to get Razor over more by beating a mid-card baby-face like Crush or Duggan.

I'm not sure if LOD ^ were still around after Summerslam so if not them the Nasty Boyz.

A October Saturday Nites Main Event

1. Bret Hart vs Ric Flair for the WWF Tittle
    2. Natural Disasters vs Money Inc for the WWF Tag Team Tittles
    3. for one last successful defense of his IC tittle before dropping it to HBK, the British Bulldog vs Razor Ramon. And after Razor looses he hits Davey Boy from behind with a steel chair which would add nicely to Bulldog having a back injury angle going into his last match against HBK at the following SNME & if you seen that match you would see the Bulldog struggle with his back threw out the match.
    4. Papa Shango vs Tatanka for the No.1 contenders match for the WWF Tittle, which would set-up nicely the Bret vs Shango WWF Tittle match which they did actually have at the November SNME.

Do people not think that would have been a much better way to have these huge important tittle changing matches instead of cheapening them by having them out of the blue.
    If not why were they booked on House shows & barley promoted? Was it just bad booking or what?

Best answer I have for you is that the steroid scandal kicked into high gear and Vince wanted to transition away from guys with 'roided physiques. Flair was at the end of his run (gone by early '93) and Savage (another 80s star) was demoted to commentary in early '93.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Im sure I heard somewhere before that Flair wasnt willing to loose the title on tv to Bret, he would only do it at a house show, surprisinly enough, in Canada.

Dont know much about the othr matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

What was the story behind Hade Vansons call up a sudden disappearance?

Has anyone else been called up like Vansons or modecai with the intention of due ding with taker and it being dropped and they disappeared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sirsok wrote: »

Has anyone else been called up like Vansons or modecai with the intention of due ding with taker and it being dropped and they disappeared

Vince didn't want an untested wrestler facing off against a big name like Taker.

Original plan was for Hade to be in a group with Kevin Thorn, but this (of course) was also dropped.

The only other name I can think of that was due to have a big feud with Taker would have been Muhammad Hassan - he disappeared into thin air when an angle on Smackdown, where Taker was garrotted by masked terrorists, aired close to, or on the day of the London Bombings. (Hardly Hassan's fault, but he disappeared afterwards)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/1vc8x4/the_true_story_of_what_happened_to_hade_vansen/

Weird deal. A vignette for a wrestler who never debuts on TV reminds me of Brakkus in 1997.

Here's Hade Vansen's linkedin, he did some minor acting work since https://www.linkedin.com/pub/hadrian-howard/33/831/818

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

There was zero/very little communication between FCW and WWE at the time. It is completely different now obviously with NXT.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ageyev wrote: »
    Weird deal. A vignette for a wrestler who never debuts on TV reminds me of Brakkus in 1997.

Brakkus did end up on RAW though and again in the Brawl 4 All. He also had a stint in ECW on a loan deal as a WWF mercenary.

Vignette.

On Raw.

In ECW vs Taz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Brakkus didn't like bumping in training to the degree insisted on bumping on pillows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Why did brock get such a massive push when he debuted in 2002? Within a few months he was champion. Cena, Orton and Batista all had arrived much the same time as brock and got nothing near brocks level of a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Oh and I've a second question, do referees gets bonus's for when they have to take bumps and get hit in matches or is it all part of the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why did brock get such a massive push when he debuted in 2002? Within a few months he was champion. Cena, Orton and Batista all had arrived much the same time as brock and got nothing near brocks level of a push.

Look at him. How were we to believe this guy was beatable! Even back then he was huge. It was a pretty cool storyline really the "rookie monster" just beat everyone for the first few months.

If anything they made him "human" too quick. Once he won that title against Rock, he should have held it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It's Brock friggin' Lesnar! He is a once in a lifetime wrestler. Everyone there could see dollar signs and WWE desperately needed a new posterboy post Austin/Rock

Advertisement