Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It's Brock friggin' Lesnar! He is a once in a lifetime wrestler. Everyone there could see dollar signs and WWE desperately needed a new posterboy post Austin/Rock

While talking lesnar why did he leave so arubtly during his first run ? Surely Vince was throwing cash at him to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ricero wrote: »
    While talking lesnar why did he leave so arubtly during his first run ? Surely Vince was throwing cash at him to stay

The main thing was hating the road schedule, airports and that. He even bought a private jet to minimise travel time. He wants to live in the countryside in isolation! (And currently does). The clock was ticking on his age, for trying his hand at NFL (he played some pre-season games for the Vikings, but wasn't very good - but still very impressive for someone who basically just walked in the door). He asked WWE to let him go and WWE let him out of his contract (it was a 7 year deal that lasted until 2010) but with the proviso that he would sign a no-compete contract on the way out (basically no wrestling, no MMA until 2010). Of course the courts found that type of contract to be illegal, and so he fought & won the right to go into wrestling/MMA.

A guy as talented as Brock and with simple tastes, a ton of cash doing a job he hated wasn't worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Does anyone know the reason for all the bum bags pro wrestlers wore in the 1990s ? Nearly every old picture of a pro wrestler in public has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Does anyone know the reason for all the bum bags pro wrestlers wore in the 1990s ? Nearly every old picture of a pro wrestler in public has one.
    Gimmick table money I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Besides a striking fashion statement it's basically a men's purse; vital things they need handy at all times. There was a bit on WWF TV about it one time, Val Venis pulled out a condom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

What's the taping schedule for NXT? How many shows do they do in one day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Besides a striking fashion statement it's basically a men's purse; vital things they need handy at all times. There was a bit on WWF TV about it one time, Val Venis pulled out a condom.

And not to bemisrch the good name of 80s and 90s wrestlers but pills too. :p
    What's the taping schedule for NXT? How many shows do they do in one day?

Typically 4 episodes. There's one dark match at start with largely wrestlers who haven't made TV yet. Solomon Crowe spent forever doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was trying to remember the show on tv which had the line "Put it in the bum bag", but can't remember or find it online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Keep the 3 Cs of 80s/90s wrestling. Cash, condoms and coke

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

What 16 world titles has Flair won?

According to wiki, Cena has 15 WWE titles and 3 world titles, would that not make him an 18 time world champion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Kolido wrote: »

According to wiki, Cena has 15 WWE titles and 3 world titles, would that not make him an 18 time world champion?

That doesn't sound right. I thought he has 12 wwe titles and three worlds titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

How come the wwe never seem to show live action on the tron anymore? Recently anytime the tron has caught my eye it always just shows the logo of whatever the event it. At least it stops people holding up signs and trying to get noticed during a match, but I wonder if that's the reason .

Andy_rse wrote: »
    How come the wwe never seem to show live action on the tron anymore? Recently anytime the tron has caught my eye it always just shows the logo of whatever the event it. At least it stops people holding up signs and trying to get noticed during a match, but I wonder if that's the reason .

Most arenas have screens above the ring so the tron isn't needed for the most part

14 wcw/nwa world titles and 2 www/e titles.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right. I thought he has 12 wwe titles and three worlds titles.

Ah yeah, it is 12 & 3, sorry. Must be an error on wiki.

Are former WWE stars allowed to use their WWE names when they're let go? The reason I ask is because when watching the first week of GFW matches on Impact, Chris Masters and Justin Gabriel had their Twitter handles as their WWE names.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Are former WWE stars allowed to use their WWE names when they're let go? The reason I ask is because when watching the first week of GFW matches on Impact, Chris Masters and Justin Gabriel had their Twitter handles as their WWE names.

No but released talent hang on to their WWE Twitter handles as if they change them they lose their Twitter Verified "blue tick" status. There's a bunch of extra functions Twitter gives you when you are verified.

If you see Justin Gabriel on the indies he uses PJ Black while Chris Masters uses a bunch of names in different places and his known for slyly still using Chris Masters here and there.

CastorTroy wrote: »

I didn't think they could unless they legally changed their name to their WWE name. I think Austin did it and chyna has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Is there a set list of titles which the WWE recognises as world titles or do they just go with whatever suits the narrative best.
    For example, the Dudleys were described as having 24 world tag team reigns between them. (It was by JBL so he probably pulled the number from his hole)
    Do they ever count TNA reigns? (By my math its still only 23 even allowing for TNA)

Yeah Gabriel is PJ Black in GFW which made me notice.

As for the titles, was wondering myself when they said, because TNA have no trouble pointing their WWE title reigns. Maybe they didn't realise people would actually use the magic of the internet to look it up. Looking at Wiki they've 18 titles between WWE/F and ECW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Re: Ric Flair's world title reigns, noone knows exactly how many he's had but it kinda depends how you're counting and what you're counting. In the 80s when he was the touring champion there were some territories where he'd lose the belt and show up the next month to regain it but in between he would still be the champion in some territories. Think there was a show in Puerto Rico where the result of a title change wasn't announced to the crowd for fear of a riot.

There was also the Big Gold Belt/NWA/WCW International title fiasco between 1992-1994

The Dudleys I think won the WCW titles. JBL could have counted their TNA belts by himself rather than being fed the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think that it's very surprising that WWE are acknowledging both world championships when stating peoples' records on commentary when typically they never really play up any sort of achievements that people have if it didn't take place within their own company. Really, Ric Flair only won the WWF Championship twice, but won the NWA Championship 14 times (is that the right amount?). I'm surprised they don't just say Cena is a 12 time champion.

What other work do ring announcers and time keepers do beside just that?

What other work do ring announcers and time keepers do beside just that?

I know the ring announcers do media and Be a Star appearances, be talking heads on DVDs and network shows, backstage interviews from time to time and the likes of Eden, Jo Jo and Lillian are used for photo shoots too.

Timekeeper rings the bell.

Ageyev wrote: »

There was also the Big Gold Belt/NWA/WCW International title fiasco between 1992-1994

Well that wasn't anything ric flair did. That was wcw/nwa not returning the $25,000 deposit all nwa champions had to put up when they got the title until they lost the title. Ric was under no obligation to return the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I know the ring announcers do media and Be a Star appearances, be talking heads on DVDs and network shows, backstage interviews from time to time and the likes of Eden, Jo Jo and Lillian are used for photo shoots too.

Timekeeper rings the bell.

You forgot about the beer throwing duties (maybe not so much any more, since poor aul Mark Yeaton got ran)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What's going on with the dudleys lads? Bubba was in the rumble then disapeared and then returned too TNA as the law or what ever way they spun it and now I hear they turned up on Raw?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What's going on with the dudleys lads? Bubba was in the rumble then disapeared and then returned too TNA as the law or what ever way they spun it and now I hear they turned up on Raw?

Yep - Back full time it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

How long before Vince buries them? I'll give it a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

How long before Vince buries them? I'll give it a month.

I think it's very much a nostalgia run ala Batista and Rob van dam recently. Just there to put over the current roster with the odd victory and table spot, makes you wonder who else will show up in the coming months/ years!

Advertisement