Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

is Extreme Rules definitely happening?
    all I can find so far is a provisional date of May 1st, but no mention of any venue.

Don't think Extreme Rules is scheduled for this year. Payback is on May 22nd so unless they have two in the one month don't think it'll be on this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Kolido wrote: »
    Probably common knowledge at this point, but what was true story behind Hogan's shiner at WM9?

Jet ski accident a few days before the event dressed up as money inc hiring guys to attack hogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jet ski accident a few days before the event dressed up as money inc hiring guys to attack hogan.
    That's the reason that I recall hearing or reading about. I've never been in a jetski accident but I would assume you would have more injuries than a black eye but the word truth and the name Hulk Hogan tend to be at odds at times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm catching up on old WWE PPVs on the WWE network (for 9.99 a month) and I'm up to one night stand 2008 HHH Orton had a last man standing match.

In it Orton gets flung over the top rope and messes up his shoulder, it's clear that he's injured, however at the count of 8 HHH goes out and picks Orton up breaking the 10 count. Orton looked to be in incredible pain.

The commentators even questioned his reasoning behind going out and picking up Orton and in a way so am I. Has anyone heard why he did that rather than letting the match come to an organic finish?

Was it an old school mentality that you see the match out injured or not and that's why he went to the sledgehammer finish or was it to protect Orton a bit by having him lose to a sledgehammer rather than being dumped out of the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I don't know for sure but I would assume Orton made some sort of communication to HHH wether it was via referee or to HHH himself that he felt he could continue on through the pain. Plus I would imagine Orton thought he would look weak if he was defeated by getting thrown over the top rope, regardless of how much pain he was in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I remember watching that live, and Orton's snapped collarbone was clearly visible poking out.

I remember the finish being rushed alright. Fair play to him for continuing

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I remember watching that live, and Orton's snapped collarbone was clearly visible poking out.

I remember the finish being rushed alright. Fair play to him for continuing

Was that the one where the belt changed hands a few times during the ppv ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

No that was a few PPV's before, Orton ended up winning the title in his title rematch at the end of the PPV, at that time he ended up uninjured.

You're probably thinking of No Mercy 2007 with Triple H v Orton and then a math v Umaga and then a last man standing match between. John Cena had been champion for over a year but was out with (iirc) a bicep injury.

I believe the sledgehammer spot was done on the fly and Trips. On Raw in 2013 a match between Daniel Bryan and Orton was aborted by Triple H from the back after Bryan hit his head on the security barrier at the front row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Don't think Extreme Rules is scheduled for this year. Payback is on May 22nd so unless they have two in the one month don't think it'll be on this year.

hope this is the start of less ppvs going forward, the 12/13 they have now is too many, and leaves no time for real feuds to develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

hope this is the start of less ppvs going forward, the 12/13 they have now is too many, and leaves no time for real feuds to develop.

That was the good thing at first with the brand split until they ended up with like 15 ppvs at one stage. story lines had two months most of the time to develop and made things more interesting and that's why I hope they wait until after WM to develop the Owens vs Styles feud if that's what they have planned for Styles. Was a pity

That was the good thing at first with the brand split until they ended up with like 15 ppvs at one stage. story lines had two months most of the time to develop and made things more interesting and that's why I hope they wait until after WM to develop the Owens vs Styles feud if that's what they have planned for Styles. Was a pity

There were 16 PPVs in 2006 including two ECW shows - December to Dismember and One Night Stand. 2007 saw 15 PPVs most of which were dual-branded after Backlash in April. Both years also had Saturday Nights Main Event specials. These years would be the highest number of wrestling Pay-Per-Views post-WCW and excluding years when there were weekly TNA PPVs.

Last year had many additional Network PPV-style specials (and/or streamed house shows) such as NXT, Elimination Chamber, King of the Ring, the Brock Lesnar Japan and Madison Square Garden shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

UFC borrowed their structuring of events from WWE I have always heard. But I think WWE could learn a lot from them now if they were to announce non championship matches a couple of pay per views in advance. It would be great to have a clear indicator where they are roughly going for the next month's show as the current one is going off the air. I'd watch Sunday night cards every week if they were built properly. It really bugs me if it's unplanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Officer999

Has the Undertaker ever main evented Wrestlemania? He probably has but I can't remember him doing so...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Officer999 wrote: »
    Has the Undertaker ever main evented Wrestlemania? He probably has but I can't remember him doing so...

WrestleMania 13 against Sid and I'm gonna say WM 24 vs Edge.

Omackeral wrote: »
    WrestleMania 13 against Sid and I'm gonna say WM 24 vs Edge.

Correct on both and WM 26 against HBK.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Officer999

Loughc wrote: »
    Correct on both and WM 26 against HBK.

Was HBK the main event? There wasn't a title on the line. Should have remembered the Edge match tho!

Officer999 wrote: »
    Was HBK the main event? There wasn't a title on the line. Should have remembered the Edge match tho!

There wasn't a title on the line but it was Career Vs. Streak, and considering how white hot their WM25 match it had to be the Main Event.

Batista-Cena was the Semi-Main Event and that was for the WWE Championship.

Main event to me means the last match of the night. It normally should have the world title involved with it. Unfortunately ego almighty fecked that up at wrestlemania 8.

Main event to me means the last match of the night. I normally should have the world title involved with it. Unfortunately ego almighty fecked that up at wrestlemania 8.

I'm ok with other then title matches going last as long as the build justifies it. HBK Taker WM26 and Cena Rock WM28 both deserved the main event spots and they didn't need a title.

• Advertisement

I think the World Heavyweight Championship should always be last, and they should build their cards around the matches as such. They should have had Cena vs. Rock for the title I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I think the World Heavyweight Championship should always be last, and they should build their cards around the matches as such. They should have had Cena vs. Rock for the title I thought.

Cena v Rock was a big match on its own

Punk v Y2J sort of needed the title to be a big match, and even then it was flat

It's a similar situation this year with Reigns v HHH, it's a feud that doesn't need the title, yet it will be

Main event to me means the last match of the night. It normally should have the world title involved with it. Unfortunately ego almighty fecked that up at wrestlemania 8.

In theory yes I agree but in practice with WWE it has always been the match that was promoted as the main event but they flipflop when it suits and for years and years, the bulk of Wrestlemania tickets are sold in advance and now, it is very difficult to match drawing power to Network buys unlike the PPV number model.

Examples:
    WM2 had three main events,
    WM4 promoted that there'd be a new champion as well as the first televised singles match between Hogan and Andre since WM3
    WM8 and WM9 was supposed to be a "double main event" but this was down to Hogan stuff
    WM10 was promoted as a mini-tournament between Bret, Lex and Yoko
    WM11 was heavily sold on Lawrence Taylor wrestling
    WM13 only finalised the main events after all the hot-potato title swaps - the buyrate suffered heavily this year despite Hart v Austin being one of the best WM matches ever
    WM18 the main event was promoted as Triple H v Jericho but Hogan v Rock was likely the draw yet Jericho got the smallest pay out of the four

I could go on but WrestleMania 19 is the most interesting case study. It was the first dual-branded show. Hogan v McMahon was the most heavily promoted match. Austin and Vince knew it would be Austin's last match but wasn't promoted as such. Lesnar v Angle was the third stringer with Booker v Triple H something of an afterthought. Austin v Rock was supposed to go on last but didn't because of Austins health; Angle v Lesnar was in doubt two weeks beforehand due to Kurts neck; Hogan v McMahon closing would've been awful.

The PPV had a low buyrate and it was blamed on the show being in Seattle not on the promotion of the event, a Mania I might add which is regarded as one of the best wrestling match quality-wise, certainly top 10 if not top 5.

Wrt UFC, there's an interview with Dana White on an old UFC DVD pre-2005 boom era after TUF where Dana openly says they were aiming to copy the WWE's presentation style (and perhaps some of the promotional style but I guess a more basic approach).

(Sorry for the massive TL;DR :o
    I thought the info might be interesting to folks)

Yeah the world title should be the MAIN EVENT of any pro wrestling card. To quote JR the world title is "the richest prize in our industry." It's a shame that Vince seems to have forgotten or at least he hasn't forgotten but chooses to not think like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I know he gets a great pop but is Lesner meant to be a face or a heel in kayfabe

Also, have there been many or even any triple threat matches involving 3 face wrestlers?

When Lesnar beat the streak he was an über heel but they squandered it, when Lesnar battered Cena with 16 suplexes he should've been a heel and Cena the babyface but audience demographics are split sometimes and more vocal against Cena at others, when Lesnar wrestled Reigns he should've been the heel but similar dynamics were at play as with the Cena SummerSlam match. Undertaker worked heel against Lesnar last year (won with a low blow) butbthen Taker was kidnapped by Bray Wyatt turning Undertaker back babyface (because we ought to have sympathy for abducted heels or something). Now Lesnar is fighting the Wyatts so..... I think he is supposed to be babyface.

They might be heading towards a Dean ambrose turn I guess?

Triple threats kinda throw the heel/face dynamic out the window since you get both fighting which each other. The first WWF Triple Threat had three faces - Sid v Bret v HBK in 1997. The first televised triple threat I think had three heels - some faction feud involving The Nation of Domination.

Yeah the world title should be the MAIN EVENT of any pro wrestling card. To quote JR the world title is "the richest prize in our industry." It's a shame that Vince seems to have forgotten or at least he hasn't forgotten but chooses to not think like that.
    I guess the WWE do what makes the most sense to them in terms of structuring the run order of their cards. It is the mark in me that finds the world championship to be the peak of every card, regardless of where it sits in the running order. For example, Kane vs. Seth Rollins at Hell In A Cell was what I was most looking forward to seeing and I felt that it should have been the main event, and held inside of the cage. Most people would probably find that idea ludicrous but it wouldn't be such a bad idea if WWE presented their top prize as legitimately more important than any grudges part timers have going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I'm trying to remember a match from the late 90s/early 00s which was on a PPV, no one of the weekly shows. The action spilled out into the crowd and the spot I remember is one of the guys did like a moonsault from possibly an exit way or the stand above. It was quite a dangerous move anyway. Does is anyone recall which match it was? Sorry, probably not a lot to go on given it was back in the attitude era.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Kolido wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember a match from the late 90s/early 00s which was on a PPV, no one of the weekly shows. The action spilled out into the crowd and the spot I remember is one of the guys did like a moonsault from possibly an exit way or the stand above. It was quite a dangerous move anyway. Does is anyone recall which match it was? Sorry, probably not a lot to go on given it was back in the attitude era.

Super Crazy did that in ECW. Cant remember the exact PPV but Crazy has defo done that.

Advertisement