Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Kolido wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember a match from the late 90s/early 00s which was on a PPV, no one of the weekly shows. The action spilled out into the crowd and the spot I remember is one of the guys did like a moonsault from possibly an exit way or the stand above. It was quite a dangerous move anyway. Does is anyone recall which match it was? Sorry, probably not a lot to go on given it was back in the attitude era.

Jeff hardy V Kurt Angle rings a bell for me

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm trying to remember a match from the late 90s/early 00s which was on a PPV, no one of the weekly shows. The action spilled out into the crowd and the spot I remember is one of the guys did like a moonsault from possibly an exit way or the stand above. It was quite a dangerous move anyway. Does is anyone recall which match it was? Sorry, probably not a lot to go on given it was back in the attitude era.
    LeeJM wrote: »
    Super Crazy did that in ECW. Cant remember the exact PPV but Crazy has defo done that.

Super Crazy did it at ECW One Night Stand 2005 in a 3 way vs Tajiri and Little Guido aka Nunzio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Hardyz vs Dudleyz Royal Rumble 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Adiboo wrote: »
    Hardyz vs Dudleyz Royal Rumble 2000?

Thats the one I think hes refering too at MSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Thanks for the replies, I should have specified it was in the WWF/E

Just googled the RR2000 match and I don't think it was this one. I think the move took place within the crowd, an exitway were the crowd enter/leave but it probably was the hardy boys involved in it.

Regarding Jeff Hardy v Angle, I can't seem to find anything on this match from WWE PPV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Thanks for the replies, I should have specified it was in the WWF/E

Just googled the RR2000 match and I don't think it was this one. I think the move took place within the crowd, an exitway were the crowd enter/leave but it probably was the hardy boys involved in it.

Regarding Jeff Hardy v Angle, I can't seem to find anything on this match from WWE PPV.

Jeff did a Swanton off an exit in this match

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz6r5m_jeff-hardy-the-dudley-boys-vs-3-min-warning-rico-tables-elimination-match-survivor-series-2002_sport

Jeff Hardy,The Dudley Boys vs 3 Min. Warning, Rico - Tables Elimination Match - Survivor Series 2002

378515.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Who's the grey haired lady in this pic? I've noticed her from around wm28 and think no may have read that she's the wife of a wwe legend but can't remember.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Its the Rocks grandmother, Lia Maivia. Peter Maivias wife. She was the promoter of the Hawaii territory at a time when there was very few if any other female promoters. Hell of a tough woman apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Is that The Rock's daughter just to his left in that photograph, and who is that beside her again? Also on the moonsault thing, I have a vague recollection of Terry Funk doing that before.

Yea thats his daughter (spit of her mom). Girl beside her could be a friend,cousin or just a randomer. Not somebody I recognise anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Right, I didn't want to start up a new thread about this, so I'll ask here.

What's the deal with Roman Reigns? I've been out of the wrestling scene for a few years and I'm seeing a lot of hate towards the guy.

I watched him at Wrestlemania, and he seemed to be an -okay- performer, but I certainly don't see him as a great.
    So what's the deal, why does everyone seem to hate him so much?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Right, I didn't want to start up a new thread about this, so I'll ask here.

What's the deal with Roman Reigns? I've been out of the wrestling scene for a few years and I'm seeing a lot of hate towards the guy.

I watched him at Wrestlemania, and he seemed to be an -okay- performer, but I certainly don't see him as a great.
    So what's the deal, why does everyone seem to hate him so much?

Better suited to the question thread, but basically he's not popular because he's just not popular. He's consistently pushed ahead of better liked or more capable people cause Vince likes him, and despite the pushback they've ploughed ahead with it all which is just making the whole thing worse.

Also, another issue I have is in outside interviews the man regularly comes across as a massive arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Angron wrote: »
    Better suited to the question thread, but basically he's not popular because he's just not popular. He's consistently pushed ahead of better liked or more capable people cause Vince likes him, and despite the pushback they've ploughed ahead with it all which is just making the whole thing worse.

Also, another issue I have is in outside interviews the man regularly comes across as a massive arsehole.

This is why the man needs a heel turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

^^ Moved to the Q&A thread.

Pretty much. Reigns has been fast-forwarded onto the main roster and into the main event way before he's ready (i.e. he'd be a great mid-card champion now). Vince & the machine want him to be the main guy, stuff like choosing him over much more over/more talented in every way Daniel Bryan, which only served to infuriate fans more. He may be a rightful face of the company in 5 years, it's unfair to ask him to be this since a year into his main roster run, and fan-reaction-wise he's paying the price.

You might see him similar to Cena (with the split reaction) but he makes up for his sloppy wrestling with great dramatic storytelling in ring, and tons of charisma, even if his promos are cheesy. Reigns has no strong points besides having the look WWE want! (he doesn't even have the 'right' eye colour, so he wears blue contacts!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Wait, seriously? That's the first time I'd heard the contacts thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ha ha, yeah. Ever seen a Samoan with blue eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So seeing that Foley/Taker HIAC video in the fails thread, and with Shane doing the spot at Mania, I was wondering how do they plan those? I mean do they practice in any way beforehand, maybe using airbags or do they just plan it out and hope it works on the night? I assume there would be practice involved but since it does take a toll on their bodies I'm not so sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So seeing that Foley/Taker HIAC video in the fails thread, and with Shane doing the spot at Mania, I was wondering how do they plan those? I mean do they practice in any way beforehand, maybe using airbags or do they just plan it out and hope it works on the night? I assume there would be practice involved but since it does take a toll on their bodies I'm not so sure

IIRC nobody knew what Foley and Taker had planned except the two of them.

Im sure the Shane one was pre-planned and choreographed to the nth degree but the cage he came off was significantly higher than the one Mick did.

You can plan and plan all you want but all it would have taken was a minor miscalculation from Shane for it to end disastrously.

As cool a spot as it was it was stupid, reckless and has no place in modern pro wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

CastorTroy wrote: »

Heard on a podcast recently that in 2006 Shane bought one of the Hell in a Cell cages to practise jumping off of - Shane was in a match at Unforgiving that year with Vince and Big Show vs HBK/HHH.

Vince refused to let Shane do a bump off the top. With this info I'm guessing he has planned this for years.

Under Tue table was some kind of airbag and the table didn't look to be made of wood.

I was curious myself if they hired a stunts coordinator or something because if he missed that table/airbag (of whatever it was) then it could've been fatal.

Agree with Saul's last point...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

It didn't really blow my mind because we've seen Shane come off of higher structures and it is more a cause for concern than anything. When it happened all I could think of was, great, this match will be over soon enough now. The Hell In A Cell gimmick can no longer really shock me, unless they come up with something ultra-violent. But really they've done everything they possibly can with the structure itself. What podcast did you hear that on, out of interest Ageyev? I'd love to know who was saying that about him buying a cell himself.

• Advertisement

Jesus you are seriously jaded if a guy launching himself off a rooftop 25-30 feet high didnt blow your mind. Yes we have seen Shane fall onto crash mats before but that fall at WM had to be spot on otherwise it could have been a tragic accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It didn't really blow my mind because we've seen Shane come off of higher structures and it is more a cause for concern than anything. When it happened all I could think of was, great, this match will be over soon enough now. The Hell In A Cell gimmick can no longer really shock me, unless they come up with something ultra-violent. But really they've done everything they possibly can with the structure itself. What podcast did you hear that on, out of interest Ageyev? I'd love to know who was saying that about him buying a cell himself.

The other two big bumps were relatively straight forward and onto a much larger landing area, the distance between the cell and the table was much smaller and he had to correct his body movement mid air, infinitely more dangerous.

Having said that, the match vs Angle at KOTR was madder than any of the above.

the podcast was Court Bauer and John Pollock. It was the episode after Mania.

I rewatched some of Shane's other highspots. As was posted above, when he was falling off of the lighting rig/tron structures at the entrance-way he was landing on a much bigger surface.

If he'd missed the table 2feet either way he could be paralysed or worse.

That said, Foley's two falls in 98 and the 2000 one can't have done much for his mobility - he said that he is in pain walking up or down stairs. And, Shane Michaels had his back injury three months after falling through a table off the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Has Maryse had a pile of work done on her face? She looks totally different than she did during her last run

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Q, something that Ive wondered for a while has been the use of the titantron.... in the old days they transmitted the live feed to the tron , but in recent times they only use it for entrances and segments.

Eg when I watch a match on Raw, the tron just has a logo across it rather than a live feed of the action. It reminds me of the big screen in the old Highbury stadium. Is there any reason why they stopped this?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Q, something that Ive wondered for a while has been the use of the titantron.... in the old days they transmitted the live feed to the tron , but in recent times they only use it for entrances and segments.

Eg when I watch a match on Raw, the tron just has a logo across it rather than a live feed of the action. It reminds me of the big screen in the old Highbury stadium. Is there any reason why they stopped this?

I think it might be because most arenas in the us now have these big **** off scoreboards/ screens in the middle of the venue.and they would be used to show the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In regards to the trons is there any reason why they use the exact same stage for every tv and ppv? (with the exception of WM)

I used to love the creative set designs. I'd look forward to seeing the ppv trons and stage arrangements, they always made the shows feel unique and special.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

In regards to the trons is there any reason why they use the exact same stage for every tv and ppv? (with the exception of WM)

I used to love the creative set designs. I'd look forward to seeing the ppv trons and stage arrangements, they always made the shows feel unique and special.

It's probably more cost effective to have the same stage at every show. Also they've been that way since wwe went HD in 2008 so I'm assuming that's a part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's probably more cost effective to have the same stage at every show. Also they've been that way since wwe went HD in 2008 so I'm assuming that's a part of it.

For TV yes they began using the same set for both shows when they equipped for HD in 08.

The ppvs still got a unique set up for a while after that though, It's only really in the last 2 or 3 years that they've being using the same set for everything.

I agree that it makes financial sense but it takes away from the experience a bit for me, every show has the same look and feel.

• Advertisement

They claimed they spent 20mill on the HD setup including the new entrance set.

They set up ladders, tables and chairs for TLC and do stuff for the Mania set but yeah, it's mostly generic.

Advertisement