Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I used to love the backlash set.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

beakerjoe wrote: »

i was waiting for someone to get a belt off the swinging spikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

beakerjoe wrote: »

Personal fave non-Mania set is Invasion 2001. Just so different from pretty much any WWF/E set ever with the separate entrances for WWF and WCW/ECW wrestlers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What's happening with Bray Wyatt's injury? Is he expected to be out for a while?

An File wrote: »
    What's happening with Bray Wyatt's injury? Is he expected to be out for a while?

6 weeks iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Hopefully someone here can help, this has been bugging me for a while.

A while ago I seen a video of cm punk , Ziegler and a few other wwe guys singing along to a song. Think it was a fan access or something

Can't find anything and the Name of the song is annoying me.

Can anybody help from this poor amount of information?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Why did WWE get rid of the King of the Ring? Used to be great way back when. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Why did WWE get rid of the King of the Ring? Used to be great way back when.

They bought it back last year as a network special although it didn't really work for winner. Was a bit of a disaster in the sense it completely killed Barrett's momentum.

wintear wrote: »
    Hopefully someone here can help, this has been bugging me for a while.

A while ago I seen a video of cm punk , Ziegler and a few other wwe guys singing along to a song. Think it was a fan access or something

Can't find anything and the Name of the song is annoying me.

Can anybody help from this poor amount of information?

Was it a Taylor Swift song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Why did WWE get rid of the King of the Ring? Used to be great way back when. :(

"way back when" being 14 years ago. The King of the Ring only ran on PPV for 9 years... They stopped doing it on PPV a year after the brand split when the PPVs alternated between Raw and SD. The PPVs usually closed with a title match, not even the tournament so it wasn't the main attraction anyway.

I disagree with you that it was great - it was very hit and miss depending on the year but overall I'd say a miss. Steve Austin might've won it but he's hardly remembered for his matches with Marc Mero and Jake Roberts! Less said the better about the Mabels and Billy Gunns who won the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I thoroughly enjoyed the KOTR annual tournament, it was only wibbley some of the time. (Awesome kings - Bret, Owen, Austin, H, Angle, ~Edge, Brock) It's pretty dead in the water now as it's a negative winning it (being saddled with a stupid King gimmick; see Sheamus and Barrett) and it means nothing since Money in the Bank exists i.e. a featured spot on TV and probably a world title reign. That said, it sold better than the other non-Big 4 PPVs so I don't see why it should be scrapped/treated like garbage on RAW. They should use it like with 2002/Brock, winner of the tournament gets a title shot at SummerSlam :)

Bret's 3 matches were very good. Vince basically used the show as a consolation for Bret losing out on a big match with Hogan. And it led into his feud with Lawler so there's that.

It put a chip on Owen's shoulder and he totally ran with the "King of Harts" gimmick plus, along with the Mania 10 win over Bret it helped validate getting a title programme.

Aside from Austin's promo his KotR win did nothing for him - he was wrestling Yokozuna on the pre-show that SummerSlam. It wasn't until the programme with Bret started that he got decent TV time.

It did virtually nothing for H - being buddies with Shawn did more. Plus, according to his DVD interview he hated the cape and crown and refused to wear it.

I'll give you Kurt Angle, he had a great 2000.

Edge was lost in the shuffle in 2001 and didn't even get over as a main eventer for several years later with the Money in the Bank win, Foley and Undertaker feuds.

Brock? Meh, he was being pushed to the moon with or without it and by 2002 they'd given up on even referring to people as having won it.

I'd have to look up PPV buys as I can't recall off-hand how well they did. I'd assume that a tournament wouldn't be much of a draw since people wouldn't know what 6 or 7 matches they're actually getting although, they had shortened the one night tourney to 3 matches some years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Wpuld argue it gave Booker T his best run with the company as King Booker

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

As TNA champion can anyone guess what kind of money Drew Galloway is making from the company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Why was Hogan referred to as Hollywood Hulk Hogan and still used Voodoo Child as his theme music after he left the NWO?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Why was Hogan referred to as Hollywood Hulk Hogan and still used Voodoo Child as his theme music after he left the NWO?

Basically, the whole 'hollywood' name refers to the fact hogan was making movies and television.
    It was just a heel name. Hogan would come out on Nitro and say 'I'm Hollywood Hogan brother' as in he is Mr Hollywood now. Just a name to generate some heat and suited his new heel character.

As for the song WCW reportedly paid a crazy amount of money to use. Iirc, it was said to be 1 million dollars. Hogan had such an insane amount of pull in WCW at the time. Honestly I don't think any other wrestler comes close past or present. So the reason why hogan continued to use it was because he wanted too...

I understood that Hogan had to pay Marvel for the use of the Hulk moniker and assumed that the Hollywood thing was a way of getting around this. If he had WCW pay a cool million for a Hendrix song then maybe not.

The only starring role he had at the time was a 3 Ninjas film. He was in something called Assault on Devil's Island with Carl Weathers and a Playboy model named Shannon something (Gene Simmon's wife) - this was straight to video IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That's the funny thing about the Hollywood name :pac:
    As you say he was only making these TV movies. His attempted at becoming a movie star had failed at that point. Wasn't his TV movies even made for TNT too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Not really a wrestling question as such.

Why do PPVs take place on a Sunday rather than say a Saturday? (I guess, with regards to the WWE, you could argue that Raw being on the next day is a factor)

I could also extend this to other sporting events like the world cup final, super bowl, tennis finals and even the likes of the Oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Kolido wrote: »

Why do PPVs take place on a Sunday rather than say a Saturday? (I guess, with regards to the WWE, you could argue that Raw being on the next day is a factor)

I could also extend this to other sporting events like the world cup final, super bowl, tennis finals and even the likes of the Oscars.

I don't know the official answer, but I'll take a shot at saying Sunday is the most likely day to draw a bigger audience, as it's classed as a day of rest and I guess you're more likely to find folk sitting in front of the telly box? Maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yeah I think Sunday evening is considered prime time TV viewing over there. All of the biggest shows tend to air at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

on the bruce prichard podcast he said that its when the majority of people are at home and willing to pay as friday and saturday more likely to be out.

Kolido wrote: »

It's something that happened over time. Now Sunday is the day but it wasn't always a hard and fast rule. Survivor series until 1995 was on either thanksgiving day itself(a Thursday) or the night before thanksgiving. And wrestle mania 2 was held on Monday.

Also in 1991 you had Tuesday in Texas and taboo Tuesday more recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

UFC shows are often on a Saturday aren't they? With the Network replacing PPV buys I'm not sure there's still an argument for having them on Sundays. I think the Roadblock before WrestleMania last year was on a Saturday night

oneilla wrote: »
    UFC shows are often on a Saturday aren't they? With the Network replacing PPV buys I'm not sure there's still an argument for having them on Sundays. I think the Roadblock before WrestleMania last year was on a Saturday night

Yeah but I'm used to the Sunday now as with raw Monday you don't have a big gap. I think that roadblock was just a house show that was dressed up. The event was happening anyway, it's just WWE decided to put it on the network.

Has wrestlers pay gone down since WWE effectively did away with their PPV business.

Do guys still get 'ppv' style payoffs based on the Network subscriptions or what?

Has wrestlers pay gone down since WWE effectively did away with their PPV business.

Do guys still get 'ppv' style payoffs based on the Network subscriptions or what?

I know CM punk talked about the lads in the locker room not knowing what would happen when the network launched. I mean all superstars male and female have a downside guarantee and will make that regardless. I assumed the ppv bonus was an add on. They also get a percentage of merch sales so that's more.

Sorry for rambling DEFTLEFTHAND but the short answer is I don't know.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I know CM punk talked about the lads in the locker room not knowing what would happen when the network launched. I mean all superstars male and female have a downside guarantee and will make that regardless. I assumed the ppv bonus was an add on. They also get a percentage of merch sales so that's more.

Sorry for rambling DEFTLEFTHAND but the short answer is I don't know.

I think they get bonuses for everything, house show appearences (presume a percentage of the gate?), tv, merch, ppv. I think Meltzer said that if you stay injury free a midcarder can double their downside guarantee in yearly earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I happened to be watching the 93 royal rumble, had it on in the background for a bit of nostalgia and noticed the final 2 (yoko and macho) went at it for a good 5 or 6 minutes before it finished, seemed a bit long. Got me thinking, anyone know what was the longest the final 2 have lasted in the royal rumble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Undertaker and Shawn in 2007 maybe

Advertisement