Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Do WWE have bases worldwide for tours or how do they ship their setup around, like the ring, entrence, ramp etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Kolido wrote: »
    Do WWE have bases worldwide for tours or how do they ship their setup around, like the ring, entrence, ramp etc...?
    .I believe they have equipment in storage in Europe. It would come down to cost: whether buying or hiring storage was cheaper and more efficient than transport.

Storage of sets and rings in the UK where they twice yearly show Raw and SD, seems likely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yep, they have overseas storage, in Europe anyway. Remember when they retired the Hogan Blue Bar cage? They painted it black for a short while before using mesh instead. It was last used on US PPV for St. Valentine's Day Massacre in 1999 but was used at Rebellion 2001 in the UK. I imagine buying once in Europe and ground transport is way cheaper than shipping it over a few times/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With the return of Drew McIntyre and Kassius Ohno, I was wondering has anyone left and come back with their non WWE name? Like I was kind of surprised they didn't go with Chris Hero, especially since Kevin Owens has the KO initials as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

oneilla wrote: »
    .I believe they have equipment in storage in Europe. It would come down to cost: whether buying or hiring storage was cheaper and more efficient than transport.

Storage of sets and rings in the UK where they twice yearly show Raw and SD, seems likely

They must have a number of different live event rings/ramps/screens etc as they would be performing in different cities/countries night after night ???

The Dublin set would hardly be the same set as the one that was in Italy the last 2 nites ???

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With the return of Drew McIntyre and Kassius Ohno, I was wondering has anyone left and come back with their non WWE name? Like I was kind of surprised they didn't go with Chris Hero, especially since Kevin Owens has the KO initials as well.

Mick Foley springs to mind as he had worked a job match as Jack Foley, returned as Mankind, was then Dude Love and Cactus Jack and finally worked as Mick Foley. Bit of a cop-out answer I guess.

Kevin Nash was Kevin Nash in 2011 but had entered the Royal Rumble that year as Diesel. He was Kevin nash in the Hall of Fame yet Scott hall was Razor Ramon in his Hall of Fame appearance.

Tom Brandi was Salvatori Scincere in 1996 but then showed up under his real name in 1997/8.

Rikishi had a load of names from Fatu (his shoot surname) to The Sultan (under a mask) back to Rikishi Fatu.

John Cena and Batista were known as Prototype and Leviathan respectively in OVW but the OVW/WWE relationship was awkward to say the least if you've ever listened to Jim Cornette.

There's bound to be better examples but these are all I can think of atm. I'd venture a guess that Hero and Drew's name choice was a Triple H decision aping Vince's mindset - "Goddamit pal! we gave this guy a name and a character and we've got to stick with it, goddamit pal!" (or maybe he's under strict instruction to protect trademarked names) . Fwiw, when Fergal Devitt debuted in NXT his real name appeared on the video wall-screen for the crowd to a huge pop but this was edited out on the NXT episode.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They must have a number of different live event rings/ramps/screens etc as they would be performing in different cities/countries night after night ???

The Dublin set would hardly be the same set as the one that was in Italy the last 2 nites ???

I don't know any of this for sure but it's a question of logistics and costs and for someone who might know about event sets. If I were them, I would not be counting on transporting equipment from Italy to Dublin in a day as ferries, planes and Eurostar can be cancelled due to weather and you would want a back-up plan.

I haven't been to a WWE house show in ages so I don't know what their setup is like for Dublin these but I'd assume it's at most a basic ramp and screen which could surely be sourced locally? WWe have always been particular about their rings though and the ring is of prime importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Officer999

Watching Kane vs HHH in an Inferno match on Smackdown from 1999. What was the story with that? Was that real fire? If it was, then how come the ropes didn't burn?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Officer999 wrote: »
    Watching Kane vs HHH in an Inferno match on Smackdown from 1999. What was the story with that? Was that real fire? If it was, then how come the ropes didn't burn?

Well I'd have to look at it but if it's like the Kane vs undertaker one then the flames weren't under the ropes. And I'd assume they are real flames.

Officer999 wrote: »

Real fire. There was a rail that went around the ring beside the bottom rope but a good few inches from it. The flame rising was controlled by someone sitting near ringside I assume using gas similar to how a Superseyer works

Some crazy fire action here below

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Has anyone else ever lucked into a job with WWE the way James Ellsworth has? He's pretty much the definition of "Local talent" yet after getting himself noticed it led to fulltime work on the main roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Has anyone else ever lucked into a job with WWE the way James Ellsworth has? He's pretty much the definition of "Local talent" yet after getting himself noticed it led to fulltime work on the main roster.

Not quite the same but when Shawn Michaels was going on his first solo heel run he was pitched the idea of having a bodyguard. Shawn had seen Kevin Nash on TV as Oz for WCW and levied for Vince to bring him in. Vince liked Nash so much (wonder why) that he put the main strap on Diesel before HBK got it.

Duane Gill was an enhancement wrestler for years before lucking into the Gillberg spot in the late 1990s.

Erik Watts and David Flair both got jobs because who their father was not because of their talent.

There's an apocryphal story that Duke the Dumpster Drosse came about because Vince McMaahon boasted he could make anyone a star and Drosse was number 500 on the PWI500 list.

Vince Russo's still making money from wrestling which is kind of amazing for someone who apparently was managing a video shop before getting a job at WWE Magazine.

Todd Pettingill and Rob Bartlet were radio hosts in New York and Vince picked them up just by chance from hearing them on radio. TOdd was on national and internarional TV for a good few years which is not bad going for a radio DJ to luck into a job like that. Rob only lasted on Raw for a few months.

And then there's all the guys and Chyna who were spotted in gyms by wrestlers and got jobs because of their look/body.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Zach Gowen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How did the likes of Pat Patterson ever get back with WWE after the sex scandals in the early 90s. Patterson along with others were accused of sexually propositioning talent on the card in return for booking favours.

Vince even had to go on TV to address the issue.

Also what ever came of the rape claim made against Vince by a female referee working for the promotion in the 80s. It's kind of sad to admit it, but I personally believe her story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Duane Gill/Gillberg would have a big similarity - hired because of how remarkably unremarkable he was and parley'd that into a full-time gig. Right time, right place, right gimmick! Gillberg still gets indy bookings which is pretty amazing.

Probably not a direct answer, but I think Hogan was approached by the Brisco's to try out for pro wrestling while playing in a band in a bar frequented by wrestlers back in the late 70's. He had been working out a lot and had a great physique apparently.

Sting and Warrior started out as body builders and were encourage to try pro wrestling in the mid 80's

I know, probably a far fetched answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

How did the likes of Pat Patterson ever get back with WWE after the sex scandals in the early 90s. Patterson along with others were accused of sexually propositioning talent on the card in return for booking favours.

Vince even had to go on TV to address the issue.

Also what ever came of the rape claim made against Vince by a female referee working for the promotion in the 80s. It's kind of sad to admit it, but I personally believe her story.

yes he was accused but there doesn't seem to have been any actual evidence of pat being in any way involved. Now Mel Phillips is a different story. A nasty piece of work.

What is the kayfabe reason for banning of chairshots?

Was it ever acknowledged on NXT that Big Damo, Macey Estrella and Daria Berenato just became Killian Dain, Lacey Evans and Sonya Deville or did they just roll with it without an explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

All rolled with it iirc. Its still wwe development after all.

Chairshots have always been banned kayfabe, hence why its a dq, but headshots just arent done anymore, it doesnt really need an explanation to be fair.

• Advertisement

Say in a chairs match though, or a no DQ match. Why wouldn't ya burst someone in the head with the chair (kayfabe of course)

No reason, there never would be. Its better to just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Sure aren't closed fists supposed to be banned too in kayfabe?

What was the last cage match to use the old blue steel cage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Kolido wrote: »
    What was the last cage match to use the old blue steel cage?

At a guess I think it was the old school Monday Night Raw they did awhile back!

Around 1999. The still used the big bar cage at St. Valentine's Day Massacre (although it was black). I think that might have been the last time they used it.

Maybe Summerslam 97 for blue, mankind v HHH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Im pretty sure they used it on one of the UK exclusive shows in 01 or 02 and its been in storage in the UK ever since.

Brief history of WWF cage matches and the blue cage:

They didn't always use the solid blue bar cage but I think Wrestlemania 2 in 1986 (Hulk Hogan vs King Kong Bundy) might have been the first appearance of it. They had previously used mesh cages.
    • In Your House Breakdown 1998 The Rock v Ken Shamrock v Mankind (possibly first time they used an overhead rig to lower the cage over the ring)
    • Raw Novemer 2 Kane sets blue cage on fire while Steve Austin and Big Bossman and/or Undertaker are fighting in it
    • St Valentine's Day Massacre Steve Austin v Vince McMahon (blue solid bar cage painted black)
    • Unforgiven 1999 Big Bossman v Al Snow Kennel from Hell match - Cell and blue cage over the ring.
    • Rebellion 1999 Triple H v The Rock (solid bar cage painted black, last appearance)
    • Raw October 1999 Test vs British Bulldog in a mesh cage (possibly first appearance).
    • Rebellion 2000 Edge vs Christian (black solid bar cage)

Unless they painted the Valentine's Day Massacre cage blue just for the Kennel in Hell match only to repaint it for Rebellion a few days later, then there was more than one. None of this accounts for cage matches at house shows. And I didn't see the Old School Raw mentioned.

Also, the curent steel cage with three vertical beams on each side debuted at Extreme Rules 2013 in the Brock Lesnar v Triple H match

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

May have been asked before but I'll ask anyway,

Did the WWF/E even consider hiring Mike Tenay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

May have been asked before but I'll ask anyway,

Did the WWF/E even consider hiring Mike Tenay?

So I guess they did hire him for one night only on Smackdown last night.

Advertisement