Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tinie wrote: »
    Who is the guy who you always see in the crowd in the first few rows at raw/smackdown every few weeks wearing a red baseball cap, white vest and blue shirt? Is he a former wrestler or something?

Rick Achberger. Not a former wrestler. Just a fan who goes to every show he can. He wears the hat and shirt so people recognise him, and everyone refers to him as "WWE Sign Guy" since he always brings awesome signs.
    Here's an interview he did with WWE.com before appearing on the US version of Deal or No Deal, where he discusses his adoration of WWE.....

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/archive/dealornodeal2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Rick Achberger. Not a former wrestler. Just a fan who goes to every show he can. He wears the hat and shirt so people recognise him, and everyone refers to him as "WWE Sign Guy" since he always brings awesome signs.
    Here's an interview he did with WWE.com before appearing on the US version of Deal or No Deal, where he discusses his adoration of WWE.....

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/archive/dealornodeal2

I heard that himself and.....V...Victor is it? a short-curly haired buy in a wife-beater that's been to every PPV/(show?) in decades? have contracts with WWE to actually come around and sit at shows for free. I guess WWE want to let everyone know that these hardcores still love wrestling enough to go to the shows (even though WWE're paying for it now)

Cheers for that. Did he used to be ECW Sign Guy?

No, ECW sign guy used to be someone else.

As for the contracts, I don't know. I remember reading an interview ages ago that he bought tickets but that could have changed. There's other fans you can spot from tiem to time though. There's one massive bald guy who wears a pink shirt that I've seen three or four times, all at massive PPVs....probably all in the same city...

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Colilfc

I think I read somewhere a while back, that when a wrestler is pinning another wrestler lifting their leg up is a sign of respect, anyone know or heard this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

• Advertisement

i remember now! It's Vladimir the Super fan!

vlcsnap2009080807h21m43.pngvladimir.png

WWE Sign Guy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQePi7l6WhRBeaB21OZfrnFExe6j-ZYjyAzFKxcB6YbzO8uNCQS&t=1

looks like such a bloody mark with a prop like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

GTR63 wrote: »
    I always wonder when you see celebrities at Boxing fights if there is any Celebrities that are actual wrestling fans.I'm not counting the celebrities wwe pays to turn up like Kim Kardashian or Snooki.

loads of nba and nfl players are wrestling fans for real, tim duncan, shaq, lebron james, ben roethelisberger, max starks, chris webber just off the top of my head, lebron doing a tombstone at 30sec mark

sign guy is almost a big a star as the wwe wrestlers themselves, i saw him in person at the rumble in 2007 and even he had a big group of people around him signing autographs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

John Cena actually hugged sign guy on a recent PPV when he lost to Wade Barrett and had to retire, he hugged sign guy and Michael Cole after the match.

ECW had three famous fans, Sign Guy, Hawaiian Hat Guy, and Faith No More Guy.

Another question of my own, why did Shawn Michaels dedicate his Wrestlemania 14 match to Earl Hebner? Was it just to say thanks for the Montreal Screw-Job?

And why the hell was Shawn Michaels chewing gum on camera AFTER being KO'd by Mike Tyson?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Charisteas wrote: »

Another question of my own, why did Shawn Michaels dedicate his Wrestlemania 14 match to Earl Hebner? Was it just to say thanks for the Montreal Screw-Job?

Earl Hebner suffered a brain aneurysm and was hospitalized the Saturday prior to Mania 14 and spent 2-3 weeks in intensive care. This is why Michaels dedicated the match to him. Some other wrestlers as far as I know wore EH black armbands for the event too.

Earl Hebner suffered a brain aneurysm and was hospitalized the Saturday prior to Mania 14 and spent 2-3 weeks in intensive care. This is why Michaels dedicated the match to him. Some other wrestlers as far as I know wore EH black armbands for the event too.

Had no idea about that, thanks for clearing that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

How much input do the wrestlers have into their entrance music?

I know James Johnston writes a lot of them and some have to suit a character I guess. Have any wrestlers ever gone on record to say they didn't like their entrance song, or if they had a hand in picking it etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I know Randy Orton begged them to let him use This Fire Burns for his and they turned it down.

Then gave it to CM Punk a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I know Randy Orton begged them to let him use This Fire Burns for his and they turned it down.

Then gave it to CM Punk a year later.

orton did use that as his theme once or twice

sometimes they just recycle old themes though, patriot - kurt angle, stacy keibler - maria

How much input do the wrestlers have into their entrance music?

I know James Johnston writes a lot of them and some have to suit a character I guess. Have any wrestlers ever gone on record to say they didn't like their entrance song, or if they had a hand in picking it etc?

Johnson sits down with Vince/writing team/the wrestler and goes over ideas about the character and what the song should be and then he'll come back with something. If you're low on the totem pole you'll probably get a crap song and not be able to change it lol

Those band theme songs (eg Downstait's Miz theme song) are originally done by Johnson, and then he sends the demo off to the band to cover it.

Interestingly, recently Miz went through a few different cover bands because he felt they didn't fit him at all. Then he heard Downstait's version and listened to it for ~2 weeks straight in his car getting the beats right and into the song and loved it.

I'll try find the article but google's not giving me anything..:o
    I know Randy Orton begged them to let him use This Fire Burns for his and they turned it down. Then gave it to CM Punk a year later.

Ha, hilarious. Orton's a huge Killswitch Engage fan and so specifically requested it -- he even got to use it for 1 WEEK (in March 06) before everything else agreeing that it doesn't suit him at all (and it doesn't lol). WWE had already paid for the song so they kept it until they could use it. They did at a PPV (Judgment Day 06) and gave it to CM Punk shortly afterwards, who it fit really well.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    they just recycle old themes though, patriot - kurt angle, stacy keibler - maria

Very good! Sgt. Slaughter used Angle's song as well (BEFORE ANGLE!) so it was a 2-time hand me down to Kurt lol.

Maria using a song talking about legs really annoyed me. It's obviously not her song!

What's his name from the SES (bald chap) used Big Show's first WWF theme from way back in 1999, which Nicole Bass also used. Crazy, huh?

If you think of any more post 'em lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Ridley

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Very good! Sgt. Slaughter used Angle's song as well (BEFORE ANGLE!) so it was a 2-time hand me down to Kurt lol.

Maria using a song talking about legs really annoyed me. It's obviously not her song!

What's his name from the SES (bald chap) used Big Show's first WWF theme from way back in 1999, which Nicole Bass also used. Crazy, huh?

If you think of any more post 'em lol

Don't think you can top Tyler Reks using an instrumental version of Darren Young's theme. ;)

Linda McMahon had the old WrestleMania theme for a while and Ezekiel Jackson's theme was Brawl For All.

Theodore Long uses Rodney Mack's old music. The first verse starts off with "You know it's the Mack militant" lol.

Linda McMahon's entrance music was also an old Wrestlemania theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

l

Luke Gallows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

is eric bishoff good for wrestling ? i keep hearing he gets a lot a stick now and again but i always thought hogan was a bigger dick

Ridley wrote: »
    Linda McMahon had the old WrestleMania theme for a while

Jinx!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Ridley

Jinx!

Well I'm going to edit mine so it points out Vince McMahon's theme is the Royal Rumble 99 theme. So there. ;)

Theodore Long uses Rodney Mack's old music. The first verse starts off with "You know it's the Mack militant" lol.

In fairness though, that goes back to the fact long was Mack's manager, doesn't it? So he inherited it directly rather than the way Angle did. I think it was also used as a PPV theme though, sans the lyrics. Just an instrumental version...

In fairness though, that goes back to the fact long was Mack's manager, doesn't it? So he inherited it directly rather than the way Angle did. I think it was also used as a PPV theme though, sans the lyrics. Just an instrumental version...

which one?

Found it after some searching. It was the Wrestlemania 2000 theme. There was lyrics and they called it "California" by 2Pac. But listen to the music. It's identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'm wondering how long has wwe been acknowledging that Taker has a Streak at Mania.I'd be amazed if they planned on doing a streak from the begining of it.I'm wondering when did Taker's Streak become a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I'm wondering how long has wwe been acknowledging that Taker has a Streak at Mania.I'd be amazed if they planned on doing a streak from the begining of it.I'm wondering when did Taker's Streak become a big deal.

He was more or less an big man attraction in the 90s with sorta squash matches around early 00s the streak was first mentioned I think when he got to 10 and 0 and becames really hyped with his match against Randy Orton in 2005

I don't know if it was mentioned beforehand on-screen, but at X7, Heyman mentioned that Taker was 8-0 going into the match.

No of course it wasn't planned lol, they just realised it maybe at 7-0. and luckily Taker wasn't booked to job randomly at Mania even after they realised it.

It didn't even become a big deal until...13-0 (imo). I'd consider WrestleMania 21 the first 'big-deal' streak match vs Legend Killer Randy Orton, as it was the streak Orton was trying to break. Triple H was a very credible opponent at x7 but the streak wasn't a real big deal, just an occurance. So Orton was the first 'big name' since that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I don't know if it was mentioned beforehand on-screen, but at X7, Heyman mentioned that Taker was 8-0 going into the match.

No of course it wasn't planned lol, they just realised it maybe at 7-0. and luckily Taker wasn't booked to job randomly at Mania even after they realised it.

It didn't even become a big deal until...13-0 (imo). I'd consider WrestleMania 21 the first 'big-deal' streak match vs Legend Killer Randy Orton, as it was the streak Orton was trying to break. Triple H was a very credible opponent at x7 but the streak wasn't a real big deal, just an occurance. So Orton was the first 'big name' since that. :)

There was a few mentions in the 90s of him been undefeated and i think it was Ric Flair that taker mentioned that he had ten victims I wish he had last to Orton as I hate the streak talk that goes on and on because he ain't going to lose at Wrestlemania even though the matchs with Michaels were damn good I just hate the streak talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Yep, definately remember 8-0 being stated, don't really know before that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Wasn't edge on a wrestlemania streak also until a few wrestlemanias ago?

Advertisement