Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Wasn't edge on a wrestlemania streak also until a few wrestlemanias ago?

That is true, he was on a 5(?) win streak, not consecutive, up until WM23 when he got put in the MITB and didnt win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah. What annoyed me about that was the next year when he faced Taker, they tried to bill it as "Streak vs Streak" as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Yeah. What annoyed me about that was the next year when he faced Taker, they tried to bill it as "Streak vs Streak" as well...

Yeah, i feel they blew their load early with that attempt. It really should have been left for a few years.

i could have imagined edge as the heel saying something like "To continue my undefeated streak at wrestlemania, i must break another one."
    Then have him run on about when he beats taker he will really kill his streak by going longer than taker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Did they? Can't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Degag wrote: »
    Did they? Can't remember.

I don't think it was so much "streak v streak", it was more of a "neither of us have been pinned/tapped out at Mania" or type thing, if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Dyaso

Cyber Sunday! how exactly was it worked out?

3 possible matches/stipulations, did the wrestlers and writers just go over 3 different ending depending on the outcome?

I thought that surely the voting was not real and that they had it set to pick the match that was planned, but then i started to think that if people were txting in and using money, is that not illegal as there txt would mean feck all.

Or was it done by "public" voting on wwe.com and they would just rig that so the right match would win?

Dyaso wrote: »

3 possible matches/stipulations, did the wrestlers and writers just go over 3 different ending depending on the outcome?

I thought that surely the voting was not real and that they had it set to pick the match that was planned, but then i started to think that if people were txting in and using money, is that not illegal as there txt would mean feck all.

Or was it done by "public" voting on wwe.com and they would just rig that so the right match would win?
    AFAIK, it was totally legit but that they pretty much knew in advance what the match was going to be. I mean, 3 hours before the event, if Cena, Punk and Orton were in a poll to be in a match against The Miz and Cena had 60% of the vote, Orton had 30% of the vote and Punk had 10% of the vote, it was pretty likely that Cena would be wrestling. Each match was probably booked fairly similarily in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Dyaso wrote: »

No real answer Jericho had no idea who is opponent was going to be the first year which turned out to be Shelton. Jericho didnt know Shelton's finisher (the exploder suplex) so he just spread his body out like a starfish.

Sandman tells a story of Chris Benoit asking the agents was Umaga allowed to leave his feet when he was in a line up of wrestlers.

But then you have things like Eric Bischoff beating Vince McMahon to guest referee a DX match. Most people thought the poll was rigged so that Bischoff would win so WWE would promote his book that had came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Degag's right, it's actually a legitimate voting poll. Of course we're conditioned to think that everything WWE says is bull-hucky, but in this case it's legit. They could be sued for taking people's money (via texting) if it wasn't. They however heavily tried to influence people to vote one way or another (eg one of the choices is a guy in a feud, listening to the crowd to see which stip gets the best reaction when announcing the match etc) but apparently, yes! WWE's voting in cyber sunday/taboo tuesday is on the up-and-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Degag's right, it's actually a legitimate voting poll. Of course we're conditioned to think that everything WWE says is bull-hucky, but in this case it's legit. They could be sued for taking people's money (via texting) if it wasn't. They however heavily tried to influence people to vote one way or another (eg one of the choices is a guy in a feud, listening to the crowd to see which stip gets the best reaction when announcing the match etc) but apparently, yes! WWE's voting in cyber sunday/taboo tuesday is on the up-and-up.

It is unlikely 100% IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,289 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was Undertaker's injury and gurney take out at the end of his Mania 27 match with HHH legit or kayfabe? It looked to him like HHH was worried that Taker was injuried badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was Undertaker's injury and gurney take out at the end of his Mania 27 match with HHH legit or kayfabe? It looked to him like HHH was worried that Taker was injuried badly

i thought he was just over doing it until hunter almost out of instinct it seemed made a motion as if to go over to help him when taker was falling off the apron. but the fact that the gurney was so slow getting to him kinda makes me think its a work

ayatollah wrote: »
    i thought he was just over doing it until hunter almost out of instinct it seemed made a motion as if to go over to help him when taker was falling off the apron. but the fact that the gurney was so slow getting to him kinda makes me think its a work

Which means it worked as an angle perfectly.

I'd imagine it was just to write him off for a few months or even till next years Mania.

As for the Cyber Sunday thing, iirc, HBK mentions in his book that it amuses him when people question if its real or not, when it's one of the few legit things there is. Jayk is right as well thoughl they heavily influence the decisions. One example off the top of my head is Ric Flair coming out and practically begging the crowd to choose the cage match when he was going to face Orton. Likewise, the options are often heavily weighted so people choose the right one ("Do you want to see a cage match? A verbal debate? or a staring contest?").

ayatollah wrote: »
    Yeah, i think if he was legit injured, there would have been alot more doctors in the ring although like you, when Hunter went to help him i thought it was legit for a while. Then again he could have been hurt not told the referee or something, i mean he was burnt by pyro last year and still wrestled the match. I was thinking for a while that maybe HHH botched the tombstone.....

Anyhow, if he was seriously injured, we'd have probably heard it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i dont get it.... they want to writecoff undertaker for a while??but sure hes only after coming back!! how much off a break does he need!

i dont get it.... they want to writecoff undertaker for a while??but sure hes only after coming back!! how much off a break does he need!

They brought him back for Mania cause the streak is such an important part of the hype and helps sell the show. I've read that the plan is nearly to move him into a schedule where he only shows up periodically, particularly at Mania, while taking the rest of the year off to rest his aging body...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyone here that 11 to 14 wwe wrestlers are too be let go now that mania is over. Read it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Can anyone link me to somewhere that has a recap of Raw last night? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

cena wrote: »
    Anyone here that 11 to 14 wwe wrestlers are too be let go now that mania is over. Read it online.

Read that too I think we all know & believe who the majority of the names are the likes of JTG,Barretta & Primo better save their money.

cena wrote: »

They usually do a spring cleaning this time of the year :/

Just hope Ryder survives the chops....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

There's always one or two surprises too. I can see R-Truth being let go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Can anyone link me to somewhere that has a recap of Raw last night? Thanks.

wrestlezone.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Smoshi

are wwe ever likely to use chris benoit footage again? like in a few years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Smoshi wrote: »
    Nope. And tbh from what Ive' read nearly every wrestler agrees. He was a legend but no one wants to be associated as making money from his stuff ever again. They won't even re-edit or re-release old dvds that he is featured on. The only thing I've seen recently is the Smackdown 10th Anniversary set. You see him for like 6 seconds during the big tag fatal 4 way tlc match, but they don't acknowledge him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Smoshi wrote: »

I doubt it. The company is trying to become cleaner and cleaner and distancing themselves from him is probably what they'll always want to do. They know that the media will pick up on their recognition of him again if they ever decide to and they have little to gain from recognising him.

If they haven't recognised him now, its unlikely they ever will. WWE I think have realised that their core market have short attention spans (as can be seen in not recognising that HHH ever fought Taker in any other Mania) so the longer it goes on since Benoit, the less reason they have to recognise him.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Matt986

I've always wondered this, but when do they have time to rehearse matches and stuff? What with being on the road 51 weeks a year doing Raw/Smackdown and house shows all over the world (not to mention interviews and the like), I'd assume it was near impossible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Matt986 wrote: »
    I've always wondered this, but when do they have time to rehearse matches and stuff? What with being on the road 51 weeks a year doing Raw/Smackdown and house shows all over the world (not to mention interviews and the like), I'd assume it was near impossible.

well the house shows are often used to rehearse matches id imagine in the same way they are used to introduce new wrestlers before they actually take their place on television, plus when they are on the road it is with the other wrestlers so things could be talked over then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Rawm2008

Also they are at the venues from bout noon each day, its been reported for ages that if they show up late guys are fined for doing so, used to be guys would play video games backstage but all that was banned aswell ages ago, this is from online reports. So they have plenty of time to go over everything, considering Tv scripts for raw and smackdown are allways changing up to nearly goin on air guys just have to be able to put anything together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,610 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Why isn't smackdown shown live ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Headshot wrote: »
    Why isn't smackdown shown live ?

It costs more to tape & broadcast it live & isn't as big as a priority as RAW is to WWE.

Advertisement