Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Rawm2008 wrote: »
    Also they are at the venues from bout noon each day, its been reported for ages that if they show up late guys are fined for doing so, used to be guys would play video games backstage but all that was banned aswell ages ago, this is from online reports. So they have plenty of time to go over everything, considering Tv scripts for raw and smackdown are allways changing up to nearly goin on air guys just have to be able to put anything together.

yeah they show up early for raw and sd tapings, for houseshows its different though, they leave about 2hr before show starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Why is the Irish Whip called a Irish Whip.I know move names are a bit random but I never got this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

GTR63 wrote: »
    Why is the Irish Whip called a Irish Whip.I know move names are a bit random but I never got this.

I believe the originator of the move in the 30s was Irish.

Found this on yahoo! answers :

The "Irish Whip" term was originated by a wrestler of the 1930's named Danno O'Mahoney.

"...All major wrestlers used unique finishing holds or moves. Danno was good standing up, so a move was created for him called "The Irish Whip." It resembled a flying mare. O’Mahony would either catch his opponent coming off the ropes, or spin him around, then using the man’s right arm, throw him over his back, crashing onto the mat. When applied to a good worker who could produce a good bump, it was a spectacular move, and it worked well for O’Mahoney throughout his career..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Masive bio on Danno here:
    http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=001932

Parts of it are a mindf*ck

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does anyone know of any shoot fights in the WWE apart from the Perry Saturn and Mike Bell match?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Was there any cases over the years in WWE/WWF where a wrestler or announcer or someone did something in a match or segment which caused them to be fired immediatly or the next day or something? Something really bad like? If so, any videos to what they did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Tinie wrote: »
    Was there any cases over the years in WWE/WWF where a wrestler or announcer or someone did something in a match or segment which caused them to be fired immediatly or the next day or something? Something really bad like? If so, any videos to what they did?
    Not necessarily "bad", but Mr Kennedy dropping Orton ever so slightly wrong on a backdrop led him to be released the next day I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭welchy

Daniel Bryan and the tie choke

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

And the recent firing on Finlay over the booking of a seg (on a non-televised show) whereby Miz interupted the national anthem for cheap heat.

Also, Cryme Tyme for attacking a referee after a match they were "screwed" out of as a rib by Cade & Murdoch.

A ref got fired a few years back for a messed up ending to a Miz/Morrison vs MVP/Hardy match, despite the fact it was Miz who messed up the ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

What about paul london?
    How long after the infamous vince death 'smile' was he fired?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

CMpunked wrote: »
    What about paul london?

yea and what was the original plans for vince being blown up ?

CMpunked wrote: »
    What about paul london?

A couple of months. There was period after where Paul's name would be a whiteboard for a match and Vince would wipe it off or yell at someone to change the line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I don't understand, what did London do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Everyone was lined up in the back as Vince walked by. They were all supposed to look sombre, but London had a cheesy grin on his face.

As Vince turns the corner, he's the scruffy looking guy on the right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Why did he do that lol? Surely he should have known vince would be pissed off about it.

IIRC, they weren't told what was about to happen. They had been told to stand in the line and look somber and he said he was going for a nervous smile. He said they filmed it a few times as well, iirc, and no one pulled him up on it till after the show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Everyone was lined up in the back as Vince walked by. They were all supposed to look sombre, but London had a cheesy grin on his face.

As Vince turns the corner, he's the scruffy looking guy on the right.

You can see it perfectly without even pressing play.
    Look at the head on him in the still!!

IIRC, they weren't told what was about to happen. They had been told to stand in the line and look somber and he said he was going for a nervous smile. He said they filmed it a few times as well, iirc, and no one pulled him up on it till after the show...

Yep pretty much this.

Every time Paul did it on each take Vince would come up to him so Paul though oh ok he must like it.

Production assistant Bruce Pritchard looked over the final cut of segment before it went to air and gave the segment the ok. Vince only got annoyed went it aired (dont ask).

Paul London was doing his gimmick before that as basically someone going on a losing streak and losing their mind. Paul got the inspiration of the crazy grin from a Faith No More video which he watched the night prior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

And McMahon would later reference it with London on the Raw he came back from his staged death (not counting the Benoit tribute show).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,290 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When will Nxt Season 4 winner Johnny Curtis and R-Truth have their tag title match?

Curtis hasnt been on tv since winning while runner up Clay is doing well on SD being part of Del Rio's "posse" and I fear Truth could be on the way out soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Sorry JP, I've a question too... Where did "Without a shadow of a doubt" come from, or who came up with it?? It's something I remember hearing for at least 20 years in wrestling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Sorry JP, I've a question too... Where did "Without a shadow of a doubt" come from, or who came up with it?? It's something I remember hearing for at least 20 years in wrestling!!
    I don't think it's a specific wrestling term tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yeah. It's just a general idiom used in everyday language, not specific to Wrestling. I don't know where it originated though :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Not to be confused with Bret Harts Wrestling with Shadows of course :)

Kind of the Yank version of the end of the day

From Wiki....

Beyond the shadow of a doubt, or beyond a shadow of a doubt, is a standard of proof. The phrase means the issue in question is so obvious, or has been so thoroughly proven, that there can exist no doubt. Two possible interpretations of "Beyond a shadow" might refer, first, to the fact that doubt could be nowhere in the vicinity (completely expelled from the issue), or second, to the thoroughness of the argument (a shadow being even less substantial than a doubt itself).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Was wrestlemania 19 the only Wrestlemania to be filmed by other cameras like a hollywood film? If you saw the Mania of Wrestlemania documentary you would see what I mean. Or was there other ones filmed that way also that or on dvds or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Was wrestlemania 19 the only Wrestlemania to be filmed by other cameras like a hollywood film? If you saw the Mania of Wrestlemania documentary you would see what I mean. Or was there other ones filmed that way also that or on dvds or anything?

I think it was. It was WWE Studios first run at a "film". And after that they went on to do See No Evil, The Marine etc afterwards. But as far as I know they haven't done anything similar to the Mania of Wrestlemania since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Who are the current Raw/Smackdown commentators?
    watching wwe for first time in ages recently, and only voice I recognised was Booker T?
    have The King & JR retired from commentating?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Who are the current Raw/Smackdown commentators?
    watching wwe for first time in ages recently, and only voice I recognised was Booker T?
    have The King & JR retired from commentating?

Usually its Cole,Lawler & Josh Matthews on Raw & on Smackdown its Cole,Matthews & Booker T(who I think is awful at it).

Advertisement