Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Watching Smackdown last night I heard Booker talking about his Wrestlemania bonus. I know wrestlers receive bonuses for PPV appearances but just out of interest does anyone know how these bonuses are calculated?
    For instance how much extra would someone like Miz have earned for his WM main event appearance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Watching Smackdown last night I heard Booker talking about his Wrestlemania bonus. I know wrestlers receive bonuses for PPV appearances but just out of interest does anyone know how these bonuses are calculated?
    For instance how much extra would someone like Miz have earned for his WM main event appearance?

Jim Ross calculates the payoffs, it is largely a magical, mysterious formula. No joke. Stuff like how many people came to see you and effort are considered.

Vince likes paying big money payoffs for Mania as it is Wrestlemania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yep, that's why so many times people are bumped off the card - DB/Sheamus, Miz/Mor vs Colons title unification... but some useless divas always get a mania payday :mad:

That said, if you're Jericho and you're unhappy with your WMX8 payoff, go and complain to Vince enough and JR'll cut you a new cheque :pac:

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yep, that's why so many times people are bumped off the card - DB/Sheamus, Miz/Mor vs Colons title unification... but some useless divas always get a mania payday :mad:

That said, if you're Jericho and you're unhappy with your WMX8 payoff, go and complain to Vince enough and JR'll cut you a new cheque :pac:

X-Pac would get an extra 5k when he did that. Very arbitrary system which is weird as merchandise cheques are done via percentages and itemised breakdowns of each item/DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chasenlife

Why is Smackdown better than Raw these days when Raw is meant to be the flagship show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

chasenlife wrote: »
    Why is Smackdown better than Raw these days when Raw is meant to be the flagship show?

Smackdown has been better than Raw for the best part of ten years. Raw is more about storylines while Smackdown is more about wrestling. If you are more intrested in wrestling, you'll probably like Smackdown more.

chasenlife wrote: »

It is the difference writing and booking IMO. On Raw youve sh*ite Cena comedy monologues and on Smackdown you've got relatively more traditional wrestling & wrestling angles. Not a hard rule for either I know but it is mostly the case.

I guess better's a relative term. The star power is on RAW, and monday is the established day for wrestling. RAW also gets about 150% of SmackDown's ratings. GnR is right about the general focus of the two. Storyline vs Traditional Wrestling.

Personally I don't care for so many of the SmackDown roster and half of them appear on RAW anyway so I've no real reason to tune in. Anyone who makes it big will end up on RAW (see Cody Rhodes in next year's draft lol) For me wrestling is about characters and storylines and in-ring comes 2nd; so I never miss RAW but usually miss smackdown. Honestly going by ratings, I bet everyone watches raw and 2/3 watch SD as well.

Without big storylines and promos, SD gets a lot of time more in-ring; the pressure's off because the live show is done for that week so people are allowed more leeway. Even if the in-ring is better it's harder to care because I'm personally not as emotionally attached to the wrestlers; I'd rather a 5-minute great Punk promo than a 10-minute great DB match, you know? But it's all horses for courses, and it's good to have both. I wish SD had more star power though; half or more of the roster I could do without (not that RAW is a shark tank, they do have more stars...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Undertaker was always the big draw for Smackdown, and then it was in its golden age with Paul Heyman's Smackdown Six.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭buckfast69

Do you remember the 5 man elimination tag match where stone cold was captain of the team and if he lost then he had to quit?

Am i remembering it correctly that shawn micheals was the only left going up against 3 people on his own? One of the wrestlers on the other team could have been jericho and i think eric bishof could have been captain of the other team? Stone cold and bishof were co general managers i think?

anyone else remember that????

• Advertisement

Survivor Series 03 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_Series_%282003%29#Survivor_Series_elimination_matches

Team Bischoff (Chris Jericho, Christian, Randy Orton, Scott Steiner and Mark Henry)
    vs
    Team Austin (Shawn Michaels, Rob Van Dam, Booker T, Bubba Ray Dudley and D-Von Dudley).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭buckfast69

Survivor Series 03 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_Series_%282003%29#Survivor_Series_elimination_matches

Team Bischoff (Chris Jericho, Christian, Randy Orton, Scott Steiner and Mark Henry)
    vs
    Team Austin (Shawn Michaels, Rob Van Dam, Booker T, Bubba Ray Dudley and D-Von Dudley).

Nice one man.

Just had a read about it there, i remember it being more awesome when i watched it at the time. Will have to youtube it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

vs

Shawn Michaels' performance in that match was just incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Even if the in-ring is better it's harder to care because I'm personally not as emotionally attached to the wrestlers; I'd rather a 5-minute great Punk promo than a 10-minute great DB match, you know? But it's all horses for courses, and it's good to have both. I wish SD had more star power though; half or more of the roster I could do without (not that RAW is a shark tank, they do have more stars...)

That is something I can never get my head around. Surely the reason for watching wrestling is exactly that?

gimmick wrote: »
    That is something I can never get my head around. Surely the reason for watching wrestling is exactly that?

Well being hooked as a child in the Hulkamania Era and again as a teen in the Attitude Era - the focus and allure of pro-wrestling/sports-entertainment at the time was amazing promos by exciting characters in interesting storylines. If I wanted work-rate I'd go to the indies or Japan; it's nice to have in-ring, but if I had to choose; promo > in-ring all day long. Sure my favourite wrestler is the Rock. TBH i don't know how people can care more about the actual wrestling rather than storylines seeing as we've all been brought up on Vince's vision of wrestling. Which is true really, "king of the storylines" WWE outdraws every other wrestling company in the world by a country mile...WCW came into prominence with their freshest and most innovative storyline (nWo)...

I also bet that if you took out the storyline/buildup of Punk vs Cena @ MITB, you'd be looking at a 4 star match, not a 5 star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

GTR63 wrote: »
    Why did Christian change the name of his signature more from the Unprettier to the Killswitch
    It was called the Impaler years ago. I thought it was a very good name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Was the Impaler not Gangrel's DDT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,133 ✭✭✭✭Penn

gnfnrhead wrote: »

According to Wikipedia, it was both. I definitely do remember announcers using it to describe Christian's move too.

gnfnrhead wrote: »

You're both right! Gangrel (and Edge) used the Impaler DDT; but Christian's Killswitch was also called that initially.

Much like Sheamus' jumbling up of his signature move names....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Hey can anyone remember a wwf show in the point in 1993? Would love to know the card but was young and cant remember anything bar Macho Man was there cus his music was the loudest thing ever.

• Advertisement

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Hey can anyone remember a wwf show in the point in 1993? Would love to know the card but was young and cant remember anything bar Macho Man was there cus his music was the loudest thing ever.
    WWF @ Dublin, Ireland - Point Depot - April 21, 1993 (4,000)
    Typhoon defeated Damien Demento
    Kamala defeated Kimchee
    Doink the Clown (Borne) defeated Crush via count-out
    Yokozuna defeated Jim Duggan
    WWF IC Champion Shawn Michaels pinned Bob Backlund
    The Nasty Boys fought the Headshrinkers to a double disqualification
    Mr. Perfect defeated Lex Luger

http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/93.htm

Looks like you got the B team:
    WWF @ Belfast, Northern Ireland - Kings Hall - April 20, 1993
    Virgil defeated Terry Taylor
    Doink the Clown (Keirn) defeated Tito Santana
    Rick & Scott Steiner defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Ted Dibiase & IRS via disqualification
    The Bushwhackers defeated the Beverly Brothers
    Tatanka defeated Papa Shango
    The Undertaker defeated Giant Gonzalez via disqualification
    Bret Hart defeated Bam Bam Bigelow

Cheers Rovert...no mention of Macho Man tho which is the one thing i can remember. His music was insane how loud it was.

You sure it wasnt WWF @ Dublin, Ireland - Point Depot - March 5, 1994 then?

That site doesnt have results for that show.

But it does have:

WWF @ Blackburn, England - Arena - March 6, 1994 (3,900)
    Sparky Plugg defeated the Brooklyn Brawler
    Diesel defeated Virgil
    Earthquake defeated Adam Bomb
    Tatanka defeated Kwang
    Jeff Jarrett defeated Rick Martel
    Randy Savage defeated Crush
    WWF Women's Champion Alundra Blayze defeated Leilani Kai
    WWF IC Champion Razor Ramon defeated Shawn Michaels

Also check this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055747476

Nearly sure it was 93 but thanks anyway. Havent been to a show since :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Much like Sheamus' jumbling up of his signature move names....

Sheamus should us an Inverted Reverse Armbar as his submission move, or for short, the IRA :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

When WWe use popular bands music for PPV or even Raw and Smackdown for that matter, do they pay the bands for the right to use their music or do the bands pay them for advertising?

WWE always pay the bands for use of their work. It depends how much they're willing to shell out how much we get to see it on TV; either just TV/PPV, or on DVD/Games as well. Here's some examples :

One time use on TV or PPV (HHH's For Whom the Bell Tolls at Mania)

or TV/live PPV, not DVDs (eg Taker's Limp Bizkit Rollin'; Smackdowns' "Know Your Enemy")

they might pay for it for use on DVD/Games as well (eg Edge's Metalingus)

PPV themes are a stickler; WWE generally don't pay again for DVD releases, especially in the anthology versions; they dub over with some generic crap to avoid paying more royalties.

Or sometimes WWE commission a band to record a rendition of a WWE theme (eg Miz's theme by downstait). I believe they get paid upfront and then WWE own the theme, rather than paying for it every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Even if WWE didn't pay a penny, it would still be great free advertising for any band.

WWE was my introduction to Limp Bizkit, Creed, Saliva, Drowning Pool, and Kid Rock, who all have albums I bought when I was a teenager through hearing them on WWE first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Do the WWE still acknowledge that Chris Benoit ever existed or was his time in the company swept under the carpet after what he did?

Advertisement