Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Belfast, Northern Ireland - Odyssey Arena - October 25, 2002

Rey Mysterio Jr. & Billy Kidman defeated WWE Cruiserweight Champion Jamie Noble & Tajiri when Mysterio pinned Noble with a top rope Frankensteiner after being launched in the air by Kidman

Sho Funaki & Shannon Moore defeated Crash Holly & Bill DeMott when Moore pinned Crash with a roll up

Booker T pinned Matt Hardy by avoiding the Twist of Fate and hitting the scissors kick

John Cena & Albert defeated Val Venis (sub. for Billy Gunn) & Chuck Palumbo when Albert pinned Venis with the Baldo Bomb after Cena pushed Venis off the top

Rikishi (w/ Fit Finley) pinned D-Von Dudley (w/ Ron Simmons) with the Rikishi Driver

WWE Smackdown! Tag Team Champions Chris Benoit & Kurt Angle defeated Eddie & Chavo Guerrero Jr. when Angle reversed Eddie's El Passo Lasso into the ankle lock for the submission

Torrie Wilson defeated Dawn Marie in a Bra & Panties match

WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar pinned Edge with the F5

http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/02.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

montyrebel wrote: »
    Here is a question for you, I have looked for this info myself and came up empty.

Can anyone find out who and what matches they had when the WWE first came to the odyssey arena in belfast, think it was 2002.
    I remember Chris Benoit, Eddie guerrero, Big Show and yes even Rikishi was there, he did his wee dance with the Belfast Giants.

I am positive John Cena was there as well but not as he is now as some sort of ****ty vanilla ice white rapper, can anyone help?

All I can remember is Eddie and Chavo taking the piss out of us about the Titanic. Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

Anyone have any idea why they're whoring twitter so much. they're surely not doing it out of goodwill. must be money in it for vinny somewhere

smilerf wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea why they're whoring twitter so much. they're surely not doing it out of goodwill. must be money in it for vinny somewhere

I think it is more of a partnership thing rather than cool hard cash with WWE getting more priority on certain searches or something.

From a psychological POV trending worldwide is more immediate than waiting for ratings or buyrates or any other business metric. Also it is certainly a lot easier to do than getting 3.5 TV rating or getting a non-scary buyrate these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

rovert wrote: »
    I think it is more of a partnership thing rather than cool hard cash with WWE getting more priority on certain searches or something.

From a psychological POV trending worldwide is more immediate than waiting for ratings or buyrates or any other business metric. Also it is certainly a lot easier to do than getting 3.5 TV rating or getting a non-scary buyrate these days.

They can use that in their pitches to advertisers. The Nielsen ratings system is out-dated these days and they can use their online presence to show they are relevant with younger people (the largest demographic on Twitter). Ratings are obviously down for a whole host of reasons, but I am sure that modern TV viewing style is a part in ratings being down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I get why WWE are always boasting about being the number 1 trending topic worldwide during the middle of a Raw broadcast, as Parker Kent said, it's to show potential future advertisers how much WWE are relevant and active in the Social Media world.

But I can't help but think that everytime during a broadcast when they mention 'trending topic', all this says to me is that their viewers have one eye on the TV and the other eye on their laptops/phones. The audience don't deem WWE's TV show interesting enough to give it their full attention, so they have it on in the background whilst casually surfing the web. This is quite embarrassing.

It seems that a lot of people do one of two things when watching Raw. They are either watching it in the background whilst surfing, or they record/download the show and end up fast-forwarding through a lot of it (as was discussed on this board a couple of months ago and the majority admitted to doing this).

WWE also always boast about trending more than other TV shows which are broadcast on at the same time-slot on other channels, for example Two And A Half Men............. yes WWE maybe that's because all the Two And A Half Men audience are so fixated into the show that their laptop is switched off and their phone has been left in the other room and is a distant thought whilst watching and enjoying this show so much.

I really can't imagine watching a football match or my favourite TV show and be typing and clicking away on the internet at the same time and that's because I have fully immersed myself in the viewing and nothing else matters until the end of the broadcast.

However, Raw is rarely a full two hours of must-see viewing even for the die-hard. Sometimes we get a great hour accompanied with an hour of forgettable tripe, sometimes it's 75% bad and 25% good (muppets show comes to mind), sometimes only 20% bad and that's on a good week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

WWE Raw was no.2 in twitter mentions monday nite. I wonder does pretty little liars whore themselves out to get you to tweet and hashtag about the show and take your attention away for a small amount of time.
    http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/1006/mr-belding-talks-wwe-status-raw-social-networking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Does anyone know what year, show & channel WWE started broadcasting in the UK/Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

The earliest dates I could find were WWF Superstars of Wrestling starting in the UK in September 1986 and was broadcast on cable station The Sky Channel (now Sky 1) and for a brief time repeated on Eurosport.

I believe that Sky 1 was only available in Ireland since 1987 though.

WWF Wrestling Challenge started broadcast on terrestrial TV for the first time in the UK in 1987 on ITV (though Sky still had the original UK rights).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Did wcw ppv ever get shown in Ireland, I always watched nitro n thunder on tnt but they never had the ppv :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sirsok wrote: »
    Did wcw ppv ever get shown in Ireland, I always watched nitro n thunder on tnt but they never had the ppv :(

I think they used to show some of the PPVs, not all of them. I can recall seeing some of them on TNT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Just watching Rock and Mankind at the Rumble '99 (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4wldm_the-rock-vs-mankind-i-quit-match-1_sport#rel-page-4 if anyone's interested)

Why did the Rock constantly wear a t-shirt in that period?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

IIRC, he had surgery to deal with his oversized moobs or to adhance his pecs or something, and the shirt was to mask the scars from the surgery...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Whats JRs current role backstage, if any? I know he used to do Talent Relations before John L, does he still have influence or is he just in wwe to be the butt of jokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That's exactly right. He had gynaecomastia (excess breast tissue) and had surgery to get it taken out. So while the small scars healed he wore that black shirt.
    Source : PowerSlam Q&A

Yes, no-one has made a joke about Rock getting breast surgery. In an unrelated topic, one of steroids' side effects is gynaecomastia

ceegee wrote: »
    Whats JRs current role backstage, if any? I know he used to do Talent Relations before John L, does he still have influence or is he just in wwe to be the butt of jokes?

No official duties/role backstage, he's really just used as what you see on TV. I'm sure he checks out prospective talent and pokes the head in at FCW as well to see how they're getting on.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    That's exactly right. He had gynaecomastia (excess breast tissue) and had surgery to get it taken out. So while the small scars healed he wore that black shirt.
    Source : PowerSlam Q&A

Yes, no-one has made a joke about Rock getting breast surgery. In an unrelated topic, one of steroids' side effects is gynaecomastia

How dare you alledge steriods his bitch tits are genetic as he is Samoan damn it! :p Or at least that was Dwayne's explanation.
    No official duties/role backstage, he's really just used as what you see on TV. I'm sure he checks out prospective talent and pokes the head in at FCW as well to see how they're getting on.

That's actually untrue he does a lot of administration work and in addition he is the person WWE uses to calculate PPV pay offs for performers.

Cool, i thought those days were behind him. I remember Jericho in his book being annoyed at his WMX8 pay off and complaining to Vince (and JR cutting him a new cheque), would've assumed he'd roll into town an hour or two before the show starts and see what's going on, Jerry Lawler style :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Has Kevin Nash ever gotten into a physical fight in his career?

• Advertisement

Cool, i thought those days were behind him. I remember Jericho in his book being annoyed at his WMX8 pay off and complaining to Vince (and JR cutting him a new cheque), would've assumed he'd roll into town an hour or two before the show starts and see what's going on, Jerry Lawler style :p

JR has his own personal formula for calculating - southern JRism influenced "butts on seats" intuitive type measurements rather than an MS Excel calculation. Very confounding and not that easy to pass on but he typically gets it close to "right."

Sauce It!

GTR63 wrote: »
    Has Kevin Nash ever gotten into a physical fight in his career?

He got the better of Quebeccer Pierre Ouellet in 1995 when Pierre refused in ring to job in his own hometown.

He also got into a fight/pull apart with Roddy Piper backstage in WCW in 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Wonder if Cena has ever undergone that same procedure as Dwayne?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Rougeaus Brothers had a reputation for been hard men with reported links to the Montreal Mob. In a recent article I was reading Vince reportedly told Dynamite Kid to drop his beef with them as they had allegedly made threats to his life. Does anybody know if there is any truth to this story?

The Rougeaus Brothers had a reputation for been hard men with reported links to the Montreal Mob. In a recent article I was reading Vince reportedly told Dynamite Kid to drop his beef with them as they had allegedly made threats to his life. Does anybody know if there is any truth to this story?

Well a detailed account was written in the Ring of Hell book it was never disputed by reviewers or wrestlers or anyone else for that matter. That book was picked to part to bits so there you go.

French Canadians in wrestling at least were known to be VERY patriotic and very close knit us vs them types. Fellow French Canadian Dino Bravo was shot dead in a hit due to his involvement with the mob and cross border cigeratte importation. So the Mob wasnt really miles away. Not to mention the Rougeau family being well connected celebrities and rich businessmen in Quebec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭G S R

Sirsok wrote: »
    On Sky Analogue, they were shown on a german channel called DSF. Be the jesus, the ads they used to show were filthy. Naked women touching themselves. Unreal! As a teenager, I loved them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

I remember that channel for the show PEEP it was a full on filthy version of eurotrash if I remember :D;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

rovert wrote: »
    It is an North American project to deal with North American issues for the moment. The issues being domestic PPV buyrates at near crisis levels and TV networks not exactly chomping at the bit to pay WWE decent money for programming.

What are the buy rates like? What constitutes crisis levels and at what point would they have to reach before they would be at a loss?

Have buyrates been sliding consistently year on year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

This is a question I've often wondered but was afraid to ask. :D It's probably come up before but anyhow I haven't found it so far.

How much does professional wrestling really hurt?

How soft is the ring? Jim Ross said its like concrete during the Mankind-Undertaker Hell-In-A-Cell. :D Other people say its like a bed. :D
    What about if they fall outside the ring or on a (seemingly) hard surface? Learning to fall absorbs it obviously but how much? High falls from the likes of Powerbombs or the Last Ride really look like they would take the wind out of someone.
    Do steel chair shots to the head hurt or back hurt at all. I know sometimes they put up their hands to protect themselves but not always. Most other foreign objects they use their hands to protect themselves but not always with a steel chair.
    Do any submission moves really hurt? Most of them don't really look very painful but then again I've never had them done on me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

To cover some of them...

Direct head shots are now banned and were a major factor in messing Benoit's brain up, along with his headbutts. That should show how much a chair to the head can hurt.

As for submission moves, most can hurt if locked in fully but the wrestlers know how much or little pressure to apply to make sure they don't really hurt.

The string of injuries to just about everyone shows how much it can hurt though.

Advertisement