Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

For WM 16 he was out with an injury, he returned at Judgement Day as the American Badass.

Yeah remember him returning at JD, that was awesome!

But by the year 2000 he was already at 8-0 when the streak was just starting to turn heads, so i'm surprised he wasn't at least put in a quick squash match against someone like Gangrel or Naked Mideon just to get him up to a higher number sooner. Seems like a wasted year to me, unless it was a very serious injury and he was almost bedridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Is Seamus really from Cabra?

I might start a petition to get a statue of him erected in the area.

Dancor wrote: »
    Is Seamus really from Cabra?

He hails from Cabra but grew up on North Great Georges Street in a 200+ year old Georgian house.
    I might start a petition to get a statue of him erected in the area.
    Unfortunately I doubt any of the Irish mainstream media picked up on his Rumble win as none of them would take pro-wrestling seriously, but it's a great achievement and I think even non-fans would be interested to know that a Dubliner is at the top of the ladder of his craft in the good old US of A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Charisteas wrote: »
    He hails from Cabra but grew up on North Great Georges Street in a 200+ year old Georgian house.

Unfortunately I doubt any of the Irish mainstream media picked up on his Rumble win as none of them would take pro-wrestling seriously, but it's a great achievement and I think even non-fans would be interested to know that a Dubliner is at the top of the ladder of his craft in the good old US of A.

I know loads of people from Cabra, many know of him from his late late apperance and so on, but no one remembers him or his family from the area and Cabra is one of them places where everyone kinda knows everyone, especially in previous years.

I grew up around the corner from North Great Georges Street and its not really a residential type of place unless you are a millionaire of some sort.

If I can be sure he is from Cabra ill email the local GAA club and get him on the local sporting heros page :pac:

http://www.naomhfionnbarra.ie/localhistoryfolklore/famous-cabra-sports-people-and-teams/

If I can be sure he is from Cabra ill email the local GAA club and get him on the local sporting heros page :pac:

Sure to be sure, it's here on his official website - http://www.sosofficial.com/stats.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

the off the ball lads on newstalk did on Monday evening one of the first sporting headlines (even if they were having a laugh about it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

there was a bit in the irish sun yesterday, (i am from the north and only get the english ****e) about his rumble victory with a quote from at least 1 irish indy wrestler.
    havent seen the article but has to be good for irish wrestling that its getting any coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 33,813 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Small side article in the Mirror yesterday too, but nothing major.

montyrebel wrote: »
    there was a bit in the irish sun yesterday,
    Penn wrote: »
    Small side article in the Mirror yesterday too, but nothing major.

I stand corrected those are huge media outlets, spreading the good word on Sheamo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

I stand corrected those are huge media outlets, spreading the good word on Sheamo!

better than nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Better to see Sheamus in the paper for a good reason rather than Chris Benoit for naughty reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

One of my friends in college knew Sheamus from when they grew up together. Still has regular contact with him I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Regarding takers return at Judgement Day, i remember hearing that they botched the finish but cant remember specifics. who screwed up and how??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ceegee wrote: »
    Regarding takers return at Judgement Day, i remember hearing that they botched the finish but cant remember specifics. who screwed up and how??

Shawn Michaels DQ'd the Rock because of Takers interference thus scoring Triple H the fall that won him the Iron Man match.

The only problem was the timer ran out before Michaels signaled for the DQ, therefore technically the match ended in a draw and Rock as champion should have retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Adding on to the sheamus media buzz, they mentioned it on Spin103 yesterday morning.
    The guy presenter you could tell was a bit of non-admitting fan, he knew a lot of terms and that.
    The brought up how he used to be on the door of some club and that spurred the woman presenter to ask "So, what, did he like just head off to the states and say i'll give this a go?"
    And they said how there are schools (or Academies as he called it) in the states and he learnt how to do it there.* This led to another question by the female; "So basically he is just a big muscly actor?..
    Like technically i could go and do that, right? You just have to ACT strong? You dont have to be?" The lads started kinda defending it, saying that it was more than that and how you have to know how to protect yourself. To which she then replied "But dont they know whats going to happen, its all known beforehand? One of them decide before it whos gonna win and all that isnt it? So i could go and say "Alright im going to win this one because i havent had a go yet?"

Needless to say i was :rolleyes::rolleyes:'ng.

*There was no mention of the fact there was schools in ireland. I think that reflected badly that some of the irish training schools arent advertising on national radio about their sessions and shows. Like ive started to hear a lot about mma gyms and that opening up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Your first problem was listening to a shite radio station. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Your first problem was listening to a shite radio station. ;)

It wasnt my radio station of choice. :(
    But yes, i agree. I dunno why i thought it would be a good positive segment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"Alright im going to win this one because i havent had a go yet?"

Vince: "Ok guys, the winner this year is going to be..."
    Curt Hawkins: "Alright im going to win this one because i havent had a go yet?"
    Vince: "..."
    Hawkins: ":D"
    Vince: "You're fired".

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is there still MITB match(s) at WM?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is there still MITB match(s) at WM?

Yes.

With apparently the idea that the contestants all being ex-World champs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

rovert wrote: »
    Yes.

With apparently the idea that the contestants all being ex-World champs.

But there was none last year at WM and with the MITB PPV will there be one at this year's WM?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

But there was none last year at WM and with the MITB PPV will there be one at this year's WM?

At the moment there is no Money in the Bank PPV this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

To begin with - I am a non-wrestling fan, but I'm curious - who decides who wins/loses? Is it entirely at the whim of the management/Vince McMahon or do the wrestlers themselves have an input?

(Note: I'm aware that the wrestlers are pretty class athletes by the way, there's no way I could do anything they can)

Yes.
    dulpit wrote: »
    To begin with - I am a non-wrestling fan, but I'm curious - who decides who wins/loses? Is it entirely at the whim of the management/Vince McMahon or do the wrestlers themselves have an input?

(Note: I'm aware that the wrestlers are pretty class athletes by the way, there's no way I could do anything they can)

It used to be the promoter (Vince McMahon) telling the wrestlers the finish of the match. Depending on a wrestler's value to the promoter they would have input into the finish.

In the past 10-15 things have be come a lot corporate and burocratic with a room full of writers coming up with script that goes up the chain of command eventually landing on the desk of Vince McMahon who will make a million changes or request the show to be fully rewritten. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So how does a wrestler move through the ranks? Is it based on who he knows? Seeing as how he can't do it purely on skill (because the ultimate decision has been pre-ordained)

dulpit wrote: »
    So how does a wrestler move through the ranks? Is it based on who he knows? Seeing as how he can't do it purely on skill (because the ultimate decision has been pre-ordained)

That's a can of worms.

Like a lot of things in life it is who you know. Rock, Cena & Punk have all been in the firing line at one stage only to be saved when a person or a number of people spoke up.

Some wrestlers stick around long enough and impress people by their hard work in the ring and professionalism.

Vince McMahon has always had a hard on for body builder types stemming from his interest in it and his company being built by the success of Hulk Hogan. So those in that mould often get fast tracked no matter how bad they are in the ring.

The like in any company there those who are savvy and play politics buddying up to the right people. Getting ahead that way.

*edit* There is also a VERY healthy casting couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

A lot of it will also depend on the reactions of the fans at the shows. If they dont care about you, you probably wont make it very far. In ring ability is simply a bonus in the likes of WWE. How the fans react to you coupled with your acting ability etc decide if you are going up or down. It also helps to have friends in high places, and know when to keep your mouth shut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

who owns the rights to finishing moves/signature moves? Is it the wrestler or the company? Or are some wrestling finishers even trademarked?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nah, moves aren't trademarked. Most wrestlers, at least within the same company, won't use the same finishers or signatures so as not to infringe on each other, and it's smart booking practice to not have everyone using the same moves.

That said, sometimes there are overlaps. For example, the Spear was used by Edge, Batista, Goldberg and Rhino to name but four. A cutter has been used by Orton, Austin, DDP, HHH, Johnny Ace among many, many others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Was the Montreal Screwjob for real? The whole thing still sticks in my mind so well because I loved Bret Hart, I literally gave up watching when I found out he was gone forever from WWF, my god, just thinking of it now I think it was the most traumatic thing that happened in my childhood...:(

Advertisement