Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Was the Montreal Screwjob for real? (

Yes very much so.

Probably the most widely written and explored topics inside Wrestling.

Wiki page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Screwjob

It is covered in detail in Bret Hart's book, the Wrestling with Shadows documentary and the WWE produced Bret vs Shawn Greatest Rivalrys DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Nah, moves aren't trademarked. Most wrestlers, at least within the same company, won't use the same finishers or signatures so as not to infringe on each other, and it's smart booking practice to not have everyone using the same moves.

That said, sometimes there are overlaps. For example, the Spear was used by Edge, Batista, Goldberg and Rhino to name but four. A cutter has been used by Orton, Austin, DDP, HHH, Johnny Ace among many, many others.
    What did/does Triple H use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Originally Posted by Teamshadowclan viewpost.gif
    Nah, moves aren't trademarked. Most wrestlers, at least within the same company, won't use the same finishers or signatures so as not to infringe on each other, and it's smart booking practice to not have everyone using the same moves.

That said, sometimes there are overlaps. For example, the Spear was used by Edge, Batista, Goldberg and Rhino to name but four. A cutter has been used by Orton, Austin, DDP, HHH, Johnny Ace among many, many others.
    gnfnrhead wrote: »

I think Shadow may have mixed up the fact that HHH suggested to Orton that he use the cutter as his finish, in other words, the RKO. This was mentioned before that Tripper basically lifted it from DDP and had Orton take it.

He cuts people's legs off ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

rovert wrote: »

He cuts people's legs off ;)

I was going to say he used an axe and it became blunt from stabbing so many people in the back - so now it looks like a sledgehammer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭dembaba

1. Why do tag team matches generally follow the same pattern? Drives me insane. Every match has it where the two wrestlers are crawling across the ring to their partners and then the good guy starts beating the crap out of the bad guy for a minute.

2. This was asked earlier but never answered. When WCW were on top of the wrestling chain in the mid 90s did they ever consider buying WWF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

dembaba wrote: »
    1. Why do tag team matches generally follow the same pattern? Drives me insane. Every match has it where the two wrestlers are crawling across the ring to their partners and then the good guy starts beating the crap out of the bad guy for a minute.

2. This was asked earlier but never answered. When WCW were on top of the wrestling chain in the mid 90s did they ever consider buying WWF?

1. Tag matches follow that flow as to get the crowd into it. Typically one of the babyfaces (good guys) will be under immense pressure near to the end of the match. He'll be getting double teamed by the heels. This is supposed to make the crowd sympathise with him and get them to will him on to tag his partner in. He'll often make the tag but the ref will miss it, causing frustration among the audience. Then when he finally makes whats known as the hot tag, the crowd will go beserk and the wrestlers will go into the final sequence of the match. Its usually quite formulaic.

As an aside. The babyface team will usually be on the side of the ring apron facing the hard camera so that the viewers at home can see the peril on their face.

2. I dunno if the WWF/E was ever in absolute sh*t but there's been periods were business was really in the pan. 1993-1995 was a bad period for them as ratings and gates were at a low. This is partly due to the steroid scandal Vince McMahon faced in the early 90's. This led to smaller guys being on top and the superhero element was diminshed a bit.

Two of the worst Wrestlemania's of all time took place during this era, namely Wrestlemania IX and Wrestlemania XI. Kevin 'Diesel' Nash's run with the title was a box office diaster also, which was between these two events. It didnt help that WWF lost the likes of Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage and Lex Luger to WCW either.

The nWo dawn (1996) was also a kick in the nuts for Vince. Not only did he lose Kevin Nash and Scott 'Razor Ramon' Hall, but they were playing realistic cool versions of themselves while Bret Hart fought the likes of clowns and pirates. Bischoff revelled in all this and was on top for a good 80+ weeks in the Monday Night Wars for ratings. A crazy time to be a fan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Omackeral wrote: »
    I think Shadow may have mixed up the fact that HHH suggested to Orton that he use the cutter as his finish, in other words, the RKO. This was mentioned before that Tripper basically lifted it from DDP and had Orton take it.

He didn't just suggest it. Afaik, it was one of his first finishers back when he was a youngster.

I see he also inspired Maryse's cover's :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

When WCW were on top of the wrestling chain in the mid 90s did they ever consider buying WWF?

I don't think this was considered. I've never seen or heard of any intention by WCW to buy WWF at all, having read Bishoffs book, and the Death of Wcw ( written by RD Reynolds & Bryan Alvarez)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I don't think this was considered. I've never seen or heard of any intention by WCW to buy WWF at all, having read Bishoffs book, and the Death of Wcw ( written by RD Reynolds & Bryan Alvarez)

Did Ted Turner not make some sort of an insulting offer to buyout a struggling WWF in 96, I don't think it was a serious proposal and was probably more of a dig at Vince than anything. I'm not sure if that ever happened though, its just something in the back of my head I'd heard at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭dembaba

1. In Boardsie's opinions will Owen Hart's terrible fall that was caught on video ever make it out to the internet? In fairness to the WWF they have done a great job by keeping the footage in the right hands and not letting get out.

2. Did Owen Harts death impact majorly on the WWE (then WWF obv). To me as bad it may sound, the tragedy didnt seem to affect them at all.

Unless someone in the audiance has a recording of it, I doubt it. I think there are a few pictures though if you're bothered to look for something as bad as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭kksaints

What do people think of the No Way Out 2003 PPV? Was watching it recently and thought it was good. Also how bad was the December to Disember PPV The ECW only brand one?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

1. In Boardsie's opinions will Owen Hart's terrible fall that was caught on video ever make it out to the internet? In fairness to the WWF they have done a great job by keeping the footage in the right hands and not letting get out.

2. Did Owen Harts death impact majorly on the WWE (then WWF obv). To me as bad it may sound, the tragedy didnt seem to affect them at all.

The footage wasn't shown as they were playing a promo and the arena was dark when the accident happened. I doubt it was recorded and if it was I'd imagine the WWE destroyed the tape.

Your right in your second point and if anything the tragedy benefited the WWF, Raw is Owen the following night pulled massive ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jcupcakes

Hi all *wave* recently got back into wwe for the last 2 weeks now from years and years of not watching it, it still feels as epic as when I used to watch it as a kid Royal Rumble was amazing was just nice to see Mick Foley he was my hero back then.

So a question, I was on the wwe website and thought I might watch the elimination chamber online ppv, but in the lists of countries, Ireland wasn't in it, so I ask can you buy online ppv in ireland or have I got to go to sky box office which I don't have, I have free-view.

Thanks for reading :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Sky box office would be the main outlet for Ireland.

If you don't mind paying a little, you could order a premium stream for like €7 online. Some sites which put up low quality free stream often have a premium option which offers miles better quality

PM if you want a link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

the elimination chamber is not on sky box office it is on sky sports free of charge if you are a sky subscriber

you dont have to pay for all the events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

jcupcakes wrote: »
    Hi all *wave* recently got back into wwe for the last 2 weeks now from years and years of not watching it, it still feels as epic as when I used to watch it as a kid Royal Rumble was amazing was just nice to see Mick Foley he was my hero back then.

So a question, I was on the wwe website and thought I might watch the elimination chamber online ppv, but in the lists of countries, Ireland wasn't in it, so I ask can you buy online ppv in ireland or have I got to go to sky box office which I don't have, I have free-view.

Thanks for reading :)

Good quality streams are usually posted here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055796662&page=30 on the night of the PPV.

Only PPV I buy is WrestleMania,watch all the others on streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I know a website that hosts all the PPV's RAW and SMACKDOWN after the fact if you cant say awake for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

kksaints wrote: »
    What do people think of the No Way Out 2003 PPV? Was watching it recently and thought it was good. Also how bad was the December to Disember PPV The ECW only brand one?

I think No Way Out was a bit meh, but December to Dismember will probably go down as one of the worst PPVs of all time. It had the worst buy rates of any WWE PPV ever iirc, and I think it was one of the last brand specific PPVs also

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think D2D is widely considered the worst WWE PPV of all time; they only announced two matches, one of which was butchered by Vince, and the buyrate stands as the lowest of all time.

I often wonder though where Punk would be if Heyman had been allowed start pushing him to the moon on ECW with that show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Is the Elimination Chamber a big PPV for the WWE? Does it have a big buy rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It is actually; it generally does the best buys outside of the big 4 ppvs. February's past ppv, No Way Out, had relatively poor buys as it was generally a throw away ppv with tag matches as main events... The first feb ppv they did the elimination chamber they got huge buys, but now that it's the norm that Rumble doesn't mean as much, both have gone down over the last few years. I'm not at my comp to give you hard numbers but u can google them or I'll post em tomorrow

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It is actually; it generally does the best buys outside of the big 4 ppvs. February's past ppv, No Way Out, had relatively poor buys as it was generally a throw away ppv with tag matches as main events... The first feb ppv they did the elimination chamber they got huge buys, but now that it's the norm that Rumble doesn't mean as much, both have gone down over the last few years. I'm not at my comp to give you hard numbers but u can google them or I'll post em tomorrow

Dave Meltzer did a year on year analysis semi-recently and they ruined the PPV by having two Chamber matches. Buyrates tumbled after that decision.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Two chamber matches dilutes the talent.

You only have to look at the names involved in the first few matches and compare it to the names involved after the split.

Yeah, when people know that if you don't win the rumble, if you're in the top 12 of the company you're almost guaranteed another shot at E.C. then it loses a lot of steam. Reap what you sow, they got more PPV buys by making the Rumble less special, can't expect to keep both high. Now it's a gimmick PPV without a good reason to have one...but as far as gimmick ppvs perform it does very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

IMO move the EC ppv to directly before the Royal Rumble.
    At this stage it just feels like filler between the RR and WM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yeah, when people know that if you don't win the rumble, if you're in the top 12 of the company you're almost guaranteed another shot at E.C. then it loses a lot of steam.

It also kills the idea that these people have earned title shots. What have Miz, Cody, Truth, Khali, Kofi etc. done to deserve a title match?

• Advertisement

It also kills the idea that these people have earned title shots. What have Miz, Cody, Truth, Khali, Kofi etc. done to deserve a title match?

Definitely. They could've at least said Miz & Cody's rumble performances gained them entry, and have the rest win matches & earn their position! The rest really did SFA to get their spot...

What if they moved it to 2 PPVs after Mania; and base the participants on their performances at Mania and Backlash?

Advertisement