Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

jaykhunter wrote: »
    What if they moved it to 2 PPVs after Mania; and base the participants on their performances at Mania and Backlash?

Or just scrap the pointless gimmick PPV's altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Not sure if this has been asked or not, but, why exactly is Khali back? The ONLY possible reason I can come up with is TNA's Ring Ka King being a success (thus far). He doesnt offer much outside of the Indian fanbase, so is that the only reason he's back?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I guess, leading into Mania, his gaint status will be used to help put someone over. Imagine Bryan's reaction if he makes Khali tap?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

I guess, leading into Mania, his gaint status will be used to help put someone over. Imagine Bryan's reaction if he makes Khali tap?!?

Who could he put over though? I dont think theres anyone with a realistic shot of getting on the mania card that I wouldnt expect to beat Khali at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I don't know has this ever been asked before but I'm Just wondering is the commentating in the WWE scripted? Its just that it can be quite inconsistent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't know has this ever been asked before but I'm Just wondering is the commentating in the WWE scripted? Its just that it can be quite inconsistent

Vince micromanages everything and that includes heavily scripting what announcers say. They literally have bulletpoints to read off & 'facts' to work in, when to throw to the next segment & what to say, all with Vince in their ear, screaming at them to say this and that. Basically everything coming out of Michael Cole's mouth is straight from Vince. So commentators have very little free reign. So the only things of their own would be getting from point to point..., until Vince tells them to move onto something else.

Whenever you hear odd deathly silence -even mid-sentence- from a commentator, that's Vince screaming at them over something. Happens more regularly than you'd hope.

Check out this leaked script from WWE, worth a thumbing through ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Vince micromanages everything and that includes heavily scripting what announcers say. They literally have bulletpoints to read off & 'facts' to work in, when to throw to the next segment & what to say, all with Vince in their ear, screaming at them to say this and that. Basically everything coming out of Michael Cole's mouth is straight from Vince. So commentators have very little free reign. So the only things of their own would be getting from point to point..., until Vince tells them to move onto something else.

Whenever you hear odd deathly silence -even mid-sentence- from a commentator, that's Vince screaming at them over something. Happens more regularly than you'd hope.

Just to add on to what Jayk said. With Smackdown commentary it is recorded as live on the Tuesday. However it is post-produced Wednesday and/or Thursday back at the WWE studios with announcers redoing matches, fixing mistakes etc. When JR was traded to Smackdown as a concession as he nearly quit the company due the extra post production days required they let him fly home after Smackdown and redo his lines via an ISDN line in a custom studio WWE built in his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

rovert wrote: »
    Just to add on to what Jayk said. With Smackdown commentary it is recorded as live on the Tuesday. However it is post-produced Wednesday and/or Thursday back at the WWE studios with announcers redoing matches, fixing mistakes etc. When JR was traded to Smackdown as a concession as he nearly quit the company due the extra post production days required they let him fly home after Smackdown and redo his lines via an ISDN line in a custom studio WWE built in his house.
    JR looked legit piised off when he got traded to Smackdown. Safe to say he wasnt expecting it anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

NXT and Superstars don't seem to be as heavily Vince influenced on commentary compared to Raw and SD!

So I have binge to blame for Cole ok
    Im writing a strongly worded letter after I type this, as I said in the RAW thread wtf is up with Cole and his idiotic inconsistent commentating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

First name i noticed was John Laryngitis!
    What is the role of a producer as its used in that script?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Was it the same during the attitude era or did they have some freedom at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

rovert wrote: »
    When JR was traded to Smackdown as a concession as he nearly quit the company due the extra post production days required they let him fly home after Smackdown and redo his lines via an ISDN line in a custom studio WWE built in his house.

Jeez, most of us would give a testicle and put in 50+ hours a week to work for the WWE and JR starts whining about having to work an extra few hours a week to gloss over Smackdown commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Question the first : Why does Otunga carry that stupid coffee cup/flask thing with him all the time?

Question the second: When was the last time two main eventers competed in a fued for a reasonable amount of time (ie. at least one PPV) where the title belt did NOT change hands.

Seems to me that 90% of the time 2 superstars get into a fued, the belt changes hands at least once before the belt returns to its original holder or is dropped to a 3rd party in the next fued.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Charisteas wrote: »
    Jeez, most of us would give a testicle and put in 50+ hours a week to work for the WWE and JR starts whining about having to work an extra few hours a week to gloss over Smackdown commentary.

to be fair, the rest of us aren't Jim fucking Ross. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Question the first : Why does Otunga carry that stupid coffee cup/flask thing with him all the time?
    Thats whats called a gimmick.

Headshot wrote: »
    Was it the same during the attitude era or did they have some freedom at least?

AFAIK they also had a script but it was much looser - like here's the points to get over in the match, throw to this segment, the rest is up to you. Also JR had Laurinaitis' job & so had more stroke. You'd wonder how announcers are supposed to improve if they're told everything to say & it's the same guy producing all the announcers, no wonder it seems to bland!
    CMpunked wrote: »
    First name i noticed was John Laryngitis!
    What is the role of a producer as its used in that script?

Producers are in charge of the segment to get it done right - like road agents who put the match together with the wrestlers, or who oversee the filming of a backstage vignette. They're the go-between Vince & Co and the talent.
    Charisteas wrote: »

JR's been doing this shít since the early 80s and I assume knows he can get it all done just fine in one take. Coming from RAW where that was the case and then getting shafted (not knowing he was being drafted) I'm sure he was just bitter. He's got no-one else to blame, he constantly lets these guys step on him and he's seemingly cool with it, he doesn't need the money or abuse.

Mitch is right ;)
    Question the second: When was the last time two main eventers competed in a fued for a reasonable amount of time (ie. at least one PPV) where the title belt did NOT change hands.
    You're exactly right, because WWE writing is lazy, and they are running low on fresh ideas (or their fresh ideas get cast aside); their go-to way to have a feud is to have the belt change hands a few times. Otherwise they'd have to, you know, do interesting stuff. It could be worse I guess, look at Cena/Kane's storyline.

The other reason is to bump up those artificial # reigns, how else would Cena/Orton get to be 20-time World Champions?

Thats whats called a gimmick.

yes, of course.

Otunga's gimmick is been a lawyer etc. But are WWe saying that all lawyers are coffee addicts or something? Seems daft to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

yes, of course.

Otunga's gimmick is been a lawyer etc. But are WWe saying that all lawyers are coffee addicts or something? Seems daft to me.
    The coffee cup is to Otunga,
    as the 2x4/american flag is to Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

Why does Undertaker always wear a hat and coat when not actually wrestling in the ring? Not all undertakers wear cool hats and leather coats.

Its like an addition to the character.

• Advertisement

The coffee cup is to Otunga,
    as the 2x4/american flag is to Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

Why does Undertaker always wear a hat and coat when not actually wrestling in the ring? Not all undertakers wear cool hats and leather coats.

Its like an addition to the character.

No, I guess not. But that would be awesome if they did!

I get what you are saying re: Hacksaw and his 2x4, its a point well made but I think WWE or otunga are really stretching it abit too far. Next thing you know he'll be laying wrestlers out cold with it like the urn.

Edit - i dunno why it bothers me so much, I was more then happy to enjoy the Perry Saturn - 'moppy' gimmick a few years back and take it for what it was.

How much of the cheering and booing is added in for the sake of people not in the arena?

How much of the cheering and booing is added in for the sake of people not in the arena?

Both iMPACT and SmackDown are audio-sweetened. For example, the TNA UK shows recently, Garrett was boo'ed out of the building, so they did their best with the audio in the two weeks they had to edit it. When you hear wrestlers like the Uzos or the Colons getting a massive reaction, yup, it's audio-sweetened.

They don't alter live shows (RAW, PPVs) to my knowledge. I think they could but it might be difficult to do on the fly. So it's left to non-live shows.

There's a montage of WWE using the same crowd pop for many entrances but i can't find it on YT :(

I was thinking as much i just dont know when the crowd end and they start (which is bad given the industry i work in)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Apart from Owen Hart and Misawa has there been any other high profile deaths in the ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

anyone remember the name of those guys who wrestled Undertaker and Kane and made a total balls of the match and were never seen in the wwe again? It was around the time that taker was the american badass (brothers of destruction and all that). I think it was at at ppv too. They were two big guys if that helps.

on the topic, can anyone remember anybody else who had such a short wwe run cos of their performance on tv/ppv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

kronik?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

caspa307 wrote: »
    kronik?

that was them ... man they were ****e :D I remember reading it on a pw board a couple of days after (the match) how taker had gotten them into the wwe, vouched for them and everything and they basically embarrassed him ... bad times!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Apart from Owen Hart and Misawa has there been any other high profile deaths in the ring?

Loads and loads actually. Iron Mike DiBiase and Gary Albright passed away from a heart attack.

This is a bizarre clip of a news story about British wrestler King Kong Kirk passing away in the ring:

There's a few wrestlers who died from head/neck injures but I cant conjure them on a Saturday morning. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Hygro wrote: »
    that was them ... man they were ****e :D I remember reading it on a pw board a couple of days after (the match) how taker had gotten them into the wwe, vouched for them and everything and they basically embarrassed him ... bad times!!

yup....

Advertisement